• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys. I've just moved to Melbourne in Australia for a year! Im from the UK.

The move is for work purposes! Pretty excited! City feels like a mixture of New York and San Francisco atm

Any tips/hints from people on looking for accommodation and any other general stuff?

Sorted out a sim card with telstra and a bank account with commonwealth.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
eat maxibon

Tell everyone that you are toey as a Roman sandal

If a cassowary chases you then run in circles around the nearest tree, they can't turn that fast. If you are in the open then hold your backpack in front of you at arms length so they disembowel that instead of you.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Toilet flushes counter clockwise so you have to straddle the toilet when taking a shit. Just do it.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

It's true though lol.

Also your name reminds me that taquitos and other Mexican foods suck in that country unless things have changed in the decade since I lived there. So OP if you are like me and love Mexican food, consider resigning from that job and moving to another country.
The kebabs are good late night drunk food though.

Also op since you asked about housing stuff, the thing that always fucked me up about living in Australia (maybe uk is same) is that they pay weekly for rent. So if it's 250 bucks per week you think "oh not bad 1000 per month" and then you look at your withdrawals after 6 months and realize your rent for the time period was actually like 7000 instead of 6000 and then you curse under your breath and feel like a proper moron.

Also you can't rip the money. Try it.

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
It's true though lol.

Also your name reminds me that taquitos and other Mexican foods suck in that country unless things have changed in the decade since I lived there. So OP if you are like me and love Mexican food, consider resigning from that job and moving to another country.
The kebabs are good late night drunk food though.

Also op since you asked about housing stuff, the thing that always fucked me up about living in Australia (maybe uk is same) is that they pay weekly for rent. So if it's 250 bucks per week you think "oh not bad 1000 per month" and then you look at your withdrawals after 6 months and realize your rent for the time period was actually like 7000 instead of 6000 and then you curse under your breath and feel like a proper moron.

Also you can't rip the money. Try it.
Haven't been here in ten years? I've been here for ten years (so the entire time you've been gone) and it has improved immensely. Talking about JUST SA there are multiple options for Mexican, and more places keep popping up. I've gone from being bummed about not finding Mexican places to having regular places plus tons of places I haven't tried yet. Mexican also takes up a large portion of the international food aisle in grocery stores too.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
If you like films, you owe it to yourself to check out The Astor. Chapel Street in general is good for a night out.

Get a Myki card for public transport. Use the trams for traveling in the CBD (remember it's free).

Enjoy the fantastic variety of food you get nearly everywhere.

The North is the cool part of town while the South is more posh. The West is generally cheap.

Check whether the place you'd be renting is NBN ready (with FTTP).

Always go out with an umbrella. And invest some money in a good woolen coat.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Haven't been here in ten years? I've been here for ten years (so the entire time you've been gone) and it has improved immensely. Talking about JUST SA there are multiple options for Mexican, and more places keep popping up. I've gone from being bummed about not finding Mexican places to having regular places plus tons of places I haven't tried yet. Mexican also takes up a large portion of the international food aisle in grocery stores too.

I've been back a few times since then but never to SA. My life in Australia was a year in Sydney and then year and a half in Townsville (lol). So yea I guess I didn't have many options up there in Queensland, Sydney was a bit better back then but I wouldn't call the Mexican good compared to home in California. Most of it was Tex mex in Sydney and pretty bland. Aussies can't handle any sort do spice to their food. Unless these ten years have really seen a ton of change. I was in Sydney last year for a week and I didn't even try any Mexican, so yea, you may be right mate.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what tips to give, generally. Music, food, and art culture in Melbourne is absolutely superb. If you're going out for coffee and food or something, try to steer away from franchised joints if you can. Not that they're bad, but Melbourne's cafe and restaurant scene is incredible. Going out for brunch wont just net you the best coffee and food, but it'll support local businesses.

Drinks are generally expensive in Australia compared to a lot of other places in the world. If you like beer we have an excellent microbrewery culture, so lots of varieties and options across a broad palette. Great wine too, along with gin, of which there appears to be a bit of a craze.

Lots of places to visit for a night out. I could recommend some but you're honestly best off checking out some guides on best places to eat/drink in Melbourne and going through yourself. If you enjoy vegetarian and vegan food there's some incredible places, particularly in the Northern suburbs. Melbourne in general is so multicultural we've exceptional cuisine from all around the world, sometimes in the weirdest place.

Geographically the general rule of thumb is;
Northern Suburbs = trendy, hipstery, live music, cafes and pubs
Eastern Suburbs = wealthy, huge population, residential
South Melbourne = bit ritzy, but very active nightlife and food, clubs, shops
Western Suburbs = industrial, more developmental the further out you go, great African food

Myki for transport. But if you've got an Android you can use Google Pay to have a virtual Myki, and just use your NFC phone chip to touch on/off.
Metro trains for local transport. VLine for rural. Victoria is so fucking small you can be in rural towns in an hour and a half, or less, on a VLINE from the CBD.
Astor Cinema in St Kilda for screenings of not just modern films but classics. Great way to have cinematic experiences for favourite you might have been too young to see in a theatre.

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
Hoping melbourne wouldn't have these :(

I have a fear of spiders so have already been obsessively looking around my hotel room
Melbournian here - Spiders are only an issue entering Spring, particularly when the warm weather hits.
I have to surface spray the necessary areas the start of every Spring.

But, it's the depths of Winter right now. You ought to be fine.

OP
OP
The Emperor

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the tips guys.

A big foodie so hyped to try all the food out. And looking forward to explore the nightlife

Trying to figure out how Myki works.

Aiming to get a place in South Yarra. My job will be in clayton but dont fancy suburban living so South Yarra seems like an ideal place to have a short commute from

Everyone here has been very friendly so far. Have joined meetup groups so I can make friends easily

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the tips guys.

A big foodie so hyped to try all the food out. And looking forward to explore the nightlife

Trying to figure out how Myki works.

Aiming to get a place in South Yarra. My job will be in clayton but dont fancy suburban living so South Yarra seems like an ideal place to have a short commute from

Everyone here has been very friendly so far. Have joined meetup groups so I can make friends easily

Welcome to my home city. Ironically, I live in London these days.

South Yarra can be hit or miss for apartments. It's one of the wealthier suburbs in the city but occasionally you can find single bedrooms for semi-affordable prices. Just don't get stuck going out in Chapel Street because you live close to it. It can be pretty scummy towards the Jam Factory end and there are plenty of nicer places to enjoy the nightlife.

That being said, if you do end up living there, check out the Astor theatre near the Windsor end of Chapel. It's a really lovely old theatre where you can go grab a drink and watch a classic movie.

Edit: Didn't realise the Astor had already been mentioned.

Last edited:

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Astor is great!

Food is awesome everywhere. Some great French food in south Yarra as well.

Melbournian here, EVERYONE will ask you what your footy team is, and genuinely almost everyone will give at least a bit of a shit about footy. Except a few people who want to be edgy and say "oh I don't care" but you've just moved to a state that has a public holiday the day before the grand final / premiership game of the season. So you can see how serious it is.

Pick a melbournian team to support. Richmond tigers are obviously the best team so you can ignore anyone else and have an easy choice there.

No one will care about soccer much, and most young people are fair weather cricket supporters.

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
Hey guys. I've just moved to Melbourne in Australia for a year! Im from the UK.

The move is for work purposes! Pretty excited! City feels like a mixture of New York and San Francisco atm

Any tips/hints from people on looking for accommodation and any other general stuff?

Sorted out a sim card with telstra and a bank account with commonwealth.
Welcome aboard!
Don't put off finding accommodation, they will ask for references from everywhere and landlords can often pick and choose who they put in, start the process asap.
Get an Aldi sim, uses Telstra 4G but is a lot cheaper presuming you're on PAYG.
If you plan on doing any traveling then you need a car, you can pick up a low KM's runabout quite cheaply and then just sell it on after the year is up. I can't stress enough how much you need a car if you want to see anything. Whilst public transport in Melbourne is fantastic, as soon as you leave you're screwed, same with all the major cities. Hell, I live an hours car drive away form Sydney CBD and there is one bus a day and a journey that would take 3 hours by public transport. You can get away with renting which is what we did for the first month but like all rental companies you'll end up with a $1000 bill for a chip you didn't notice when you picked the car up.
Melbourne is great, the pub scene is a lot closer to the UK's than Sydney's. Some great restaurants and friendly people.
Go onto https://www.resetera.com/threads/ausera-ot-2017.569/ they'll help you out no end.

chironex

Oct 27, 2017
Aussies can't handle any sort do spice to their food.

Not true at all, but I'll be the first to say that Mexican food here is, by and large, not worth going out for. We just don't have a particularly large Mexican community so why would you expect anything more?

In Melbourne if you want to eat good spicy food go for Vietnamese, Chinese (particularly Szechuan-style), Indian, Malay or Thai.

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
In Melbourne if you want to eat good spicy food go for Vietnamese, Chinese (particularly Szechuan-style), Indian, Malay or Thai.
To be fair, the Indian 'hot' dishes in Australia are really not hot when compared to UK Indian food. Indians are nowhere near as good as the UK, but Chinese is better. I've found the best ones to be Punjabi if you can find one, most others you may as well just get the cheap food court stuff as it's often just as good as many Indian restaurants.

Oct 29, 2017
Melbournian here, EVERYONE will ask you what your footy team is, and genuinely almost everyone will give at least a bit of a shit about footy. Except a few people who want to be edgy and say "oh I don't care" but you've just moved to a state that has a public holiday the day before the grand final / premiership game of the season. So you can see how serious it is.

Pick a melbournian team to support. Richmond tigers are obviously the best team so you can ignore anyone else and have an easy choice there.

No one will care about soccer much, and most young people are fair weather cricket supporters.

Seconded. Try and get involved in the Footy because it's a great ice breaker. Pick any team. Any team except Melbourne or Essendon as they are the laughing stock of the league at the moment.

Safe bet is Richmond or Carlton as they are the more exciting Melbourne-based teams. Richmond is the favourit Melbourne-based team leading into the finals, Carlton is coming off a massive depression and have heaps of exciting young talent.

[Carn the tiges]

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not true at all, but I'll be the first to say that Mexican food here is, by and large, not worth going out for. We just don't have a particularly large Mexican community so why would you expect anything more?

I never said I expected good Mexican or tons of Mexican restaurants, just said the Mexican is garbage there and that was the worst thing about living in Australia for 2.5 years. As a Californian i am pretty used to eating from taquerias and taco trucks at least a few times per week.

Melbourne people must be quite different from queenslanders with regards to their palate (where I spent the majority of my time in aus). Also I would hardly compare most Sichuan food in Australia to the spice and flavor levels of actual Sichuan in China. But yea, maybe since I have not lived there in 10 years they might have made a lot of progress. I know things can change a lot in that amount of time. Last time I was in Sydney (last year) I went out in Chinatown with a chinese friend that lives there, and while the food was good, it really wasn't spicy compared to China. And that's with requesting it spicy. We also had pho at manly beach and that's up to the individual how spicy they want it, add your own hot sauce ya know? Long story short, I'm not saying there isn't good food in Australia because there is, and I'm not saying all Australians like bland food. Especially for dude coming over from the uk he'll probably be in food heaven just eating some red rooster.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
Make sure you grab a Myki for public transport if you're using the trains or trams. You can grab one from any 7/11, some news agencies and train stations. It's free to use the trams in the CBD Gris.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realise The Astor was so popular on Era.
I love that The Astor exists, and was glad when it was saved from development plans, but truth be told the facilities are in need of an upgrade. I really only go there these days if something is screening in 70mm.

They have a mascot cat who just chills out there all day though so they get bonus points.

In terms of recommendations, maybe the online forum Whirlpool if you're looking for advice on bank accounts, internet providers and plans, deals on electronics, that sort of thing. Plenty of people drop great hacks in there for getting stuff cheap.

Food-wise I'll add that we have great Sichuan (well, for my tastes, anyhow). Try HuTong in the CBD. Get the Xiao Long Bao and spicy wontons in soup. And the green beans wth minced pork. And the eggplant scallop claypot. And the cumin lamb. And... it's hard to go wrong, really.

Horn Please is a great Indian joint if you're missing high-grade butter chicken, but there's loads of more down to earth Indian places, too. I think Horn Please does an all you can eat buffet thing on Sundays still which is a great way to try a few things at once.

Very Good Falafel for Israeli. Teta Mona for Lebanese. Good Days and/or Good Nights for the best damn upscale Vietnamese you're likely to ever eat in this country. Yes I live in the north and am a hipster.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Welcome. Get used to the trams the network is pretty good. Looking at your commute the trains are okay but can sometimes be a pain in the ass whenever there is a disruption or constriction. South Yarra is pretty chill, visit the NGV just next door we've got the Terracotta exhibit going on now. If you have any questions about the CBD let me know, i've been staying here for ten bloody years and it feels like one massive weird backyard.

chironex

Oct 27, 2017
I never said I expected good Mexican or tons of Mexican restaurants, just said the Mexican is garbage there and that was the worst thing about living in Australia for 2.5 years. As a Californian i am pretty used to eating from taquerias and taco trucks at least a few times per week.

Melbourne people must be quite different from queenslanders with regards to their palate (where I spent the majority of my time in aus). Also I would hardly compare most Sichuan food in Australia to the spice and flavor levels of actual Sichuan in China. But yea, maybe since I have not lived there in 10 years they might have made a lot of progress. I know things can change a lot in that amount of time. Last time I was in Sydney (last year) I went out in Chinatown with a chinese friend that lives there, and while the food was good, it really wasn't spicy compared to China. And that's with requesting it spicy. We also had pho at manly beach and that's up to the individual how spicy they want it, add your own hot sauce ya know? Long story short, I'm not saying there isn't good food in Australia because there is, and I'm not saying all Australians like bland food. Especially for dude coming over from the uk he'll probably be in food heaven just eating some red rooster.

I've eaten sichuan here and in sichuan. You can get great sichuan food in melbourne, believe me. The palates between states/cities here are different yes, melbourne and brisbane are 1,700km apart, in different climates, with different histories and ethnic make-ups... that's like going from California to Colarado. There is obviously a tendency particularly in rural areas towards pretty bland food. But OP is asking for recommendations about Melbourne, so generalizations based on other parts of the country just aren't really relevant.

Here are just two examples of sichuan dishes you can get in melbourne.

2933426437_c6f524aa79_b.jpg

ccg.jpg

The restaurant, Dainty Sichuan, has been open 15 years at least and featured in Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations in 2009

I can't talk to Sydney as I haven't been there in nearly 20 years tbh. Used to be able to get a decent Laksa there at the chinatown food courts.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I've eaten sichuan here and in sichuan. You can get great sichuan food in melbourne, believe me. The palates between states/cities here are different yes, melbourne and brisbane are 1,700km apart, in different climates, with different histories and ethnic make-ups... that's like going from California to Colarado. There is obviously a tendency particularly in rural areas towards pretty bland food. But OP is asking for recommendations about Melbourne, so generalizations based on other parts of the country just aren't really relevant.

Here are just two examples of sichuan dishes you can get in melbourne.

2933426437_c6f524aa79_b.jpg

ccg.jpg

The restaurant, Dainty Sichuan, has been open 15 years at least and featured in Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations in 2009

I can't talk to Sydney as I haven't been there in nearly 20 years tbh. Used to be able to get a decent Laksa there at the chinatown food courts.

Good post, also Sichuan House isn't bad too, tucked away in Chinatown. Go for their cumin pork ribs.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I love that The Astor exists, and was glad when it was saved from development plans, but truth be told the facilities are in need of an upgrade. I really only go there these days if something is screening in 70mm.
Yeah this is true. Their audio system is kinda poor especially. I can deal with old chairs but bad audio affects the movie going experience the most.

fieldafar

Jan 23, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
First of all, welcome to our city.

Try to find a place somewhere between the city and Clayton. I just moved into a place in Hawthorn which is close to everything thanks to three tram lines and a train station being within walking distance. Don't go closer to Dandenong as the commute will be killer.

Cinema Nova is also a good bet for films. Although it's in the inner north, it's on Lygon Street so there's a lot of choice for decent food nearby (Brunetti's is an institution here and is literally under the cinema, try it out at least once). If you do go to a chain cinema, NEVER PAY FULL PRICE. It's easy to get cheap tickets, whether it's thru the cinema's loyalty program or thru providers like Telstra Rewards.

Speaking of food, there's plenty of good options out there, especially for Asian and Italian food.

Bookmark the Whirlpool Forums for tech/internet advice and OzBargain for cheap stuff.

Go to an AFL match! Especially if both teams are in the top half of the ladder.

Spiders are not a problem here, compared to the rest of the country. Here's one I found in my bathroom earlier this year.
eTlBiKxf6jzoj-sWALxYwZXsVTvY83YN8UP1ML_CY5sFDhgtlRJFaapJnXXunsQflpQsgs-DasgjbcjMi3-8HiCPsNOV8dAbzjeyL33c1knjIBzR0L4ASsrQ3Yp732dxnTybIxW-gPzRfnkEkvqQkss_Sir9nbr6ekm2Dn7aCei_WaAKeiQWyqRYPzubu2zu3XK_Gd_P3hFQPlyn28G85i1hSpbBkGbqSumNJH-XGtRh12UwGo5LmyE3FjhVm6FoLZVC8Ls5UD08xg98hCfwt4SwquyGs_rU6j9FaiI70kaofDfrEo-nX2ag1Ju8cnC_-SPd8zLwnNgLYyP4sU-RlMTp-4ych52aZgL9W3en8Ex09yoGvQXMq36xqfOuZ_n4KwFKom-v5-wNdUIkYJxMwAnyUZArvcG1keOjgSW6IgHim-WbpuwC_-zdTLAcrBAuKJyV0DWcHRhCp1MNCIQWk2UdJhzUNo_ctL93WOvOKNJhQHuOsR_d3tR_57qsZmSZzpgj__Vyez_Dtnwhse45v927-HfApTHHhnKMZN-OBrw7mHVl8RWb7HNG0YptLruwl7iWPpwbYroZrlh8nW_lcCLo3m--U17yFNSSF5k71B1VC18HT75dBFV_42J7cg-2DQ6m-sLwfdebsrDVr8JvPw-orQHOS-Y=w2460-h1844-no
Very friendly though, was able to release it into the front yard without any trouble.

Most importantly, enjoy your time here!

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Don't worry about Huntsmen, they just chill on your wall when it gets rainy. The memeing of Australia's dangerous creatures is way overblown. I was more in danger in the US.
There are fucking bears in the US.
Mother fucking BEARS.
Don't get me wrong, I really really dislike spiders, but BEARS.
At least bear cubs are cute tho.

Stove

Oct 27, 2017
Spiders aren't a big problem in Melbourne, except in the hotter times of year. Even then you likely won't see many.

One thing you should know about Melbourne, we are absolutely crazy about Australian Rules Football and you should definitely get to a game at the MCG if you can.

There are only two rounds of the season left, but come September you will see Melbourne go footy mad as the finals begin.

Richmond Tigers are playing the West Coast Eagles at the MCG on Sunday. Both teams are in the top 4 and have huge fan bases. It's likely to be an incredible atmosphere as both teams are legitimate contenders for the premiership this year (West Coast were champions last year, Richmond in 2017.)

If you need a good topic of discussion in Melbourne, Footy is always safe (I use it a ice breaker for customers every day.) Pick a team and enjoy September Finals. Just don't pick Collingwood or Geelong. :)

This video explains things very well. It really is a massive part of Victorian culture.

Also the Astor is great, I just wish the seats were more comfortable.