• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Had seen Griftlands in passing, but I only learned recently that it's actually Klei's next game. I'm currently getting back into Invisible Inc, so I'm really intrigued now to see their approach to the genre. Actually reading about it and Klei's plans, it most reminds me of the merc strategy sim Battle Brothers.

It also looks like their most ambitious game yet, in terms of scale. (I still think Invisible Inc is their most ambitious design-wise)

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/10/12/griftlands-is-a-pirate-sandbox-says-klei/
"Griftlands is much less directed than Banner Saga," says Kevin Forbes, designer on the game. "It's more of a pirate/mercenary sandbox than a sequence of story battles. You are put into a simulated economy and set loose to make your fortune."

"There is a small cast of written player-characters / companions who have their own questlines, but these take place in a dynamic world with procedurally generated NPCs. The land and the factions that inhabit it are fixed, but their state and the front-line NPCs that populate the world are systems-driven…"

vEKB05Bl.jpg

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Heard some really positive early impressions about it last year. Looking forward to playing it myself.

Thordawgg

Nov 5, 2017
Never heard of it but everything I've touched from Klei has been fantastic, the premise sounds very enticing as well

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Funny seeing this topic because yesterday I remembered this game and was searching for some news (couldn't find anything new on their website besides the E3 trailer).

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It seems intriguing. Get som Sid Meier's Pirates vibes from it, although on a smaller scale.

Not fully there when it comes to embracing the art style though. It's not bad, but there's something about the enviroments and color scheme that's a bit offputting for me.

CupONoodos

Oct 27, 2017
Man I absolutely love Klei's style. Their games sell pretty well right? Wish them nothing but success.

Icarus

Oct 26, 2017
Massive fan of Klei, their previous games have been a massive delight to play and I can't wait to delve in to this one as well. Day 1 purchase for me.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
I love Klei as a developer even though they've made games I didn't like/care for (didn't like Shank and I couldn't get in to Don't Starve no matter how hard I tried) but I have the utmost respect for their games, Mark of the Ninja is insanely good and I didn't play as much of Invisible Inc as I would have liked but I just found the game stressful but it is brilliant. You gotta respect a developer that keeps making games that are so totally unlike their previous ones.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Had no idea Invisible Inc was from Klei!

Klei makes some quality stuff, Oxygen Not Included also fantastic.

I hope we get to see another Mark of the Ninja some day.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Between Mark of the Ninja, Invisible Inc., and Oxygen Not Included, Klei is pretty much Day One material in this household. Damn they have a diverse catalog with the Golden Touch to boot.

Can't wait for Griftlands as I love the SRPG genre.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
So, has anyone here played it? Bought the pre-alpha on EGS and having a lot of fun, even though only 2/3 (I believe) of the main story is available. It feels a lot like a mix between Slay the Spire and FTL, with some relationship system sprinkled on top. I think I like this a bit more than Slay the Spire due to how the upgrade system works, as well as because you have two main kinds of combat, and, for the most part, you can choose which one to use.

They've updated the game recently and, AFAIK, it now has a prestige system, where the game gets harder the more times you complete it, similar to STS' ascension mode.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Just got a new udpate:

Have yet to play it, but Boons and Banes (passive stats you get from friends and enemies) seem to be more meaningful. Instead of being based on a character's profession, it seems to be now per character. You also now get cool combat cards if you do decide to kill people (which previously would only make other people mad at you and give you a sometimes good, sometimes bad negotiation card). Also card compendium.

release_poster_08-22-19_1080.thumb.png.0da1c017ddcc66c44999a0d0c67a1f72.png

But most important of all: "You can pet and rename your pets in your room at night."

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Waypoint has talked about this game a few times, and every time it sounds cooler than before.

I'm gonna keep my eye on it.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I saw the OP and thought it looked amazing, then I saw they turned it into some fucking cardgame and I am RIGHT out.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I thought I could get something akin to "Battle Brothers" as said in the OP. Instead it's some weird story cardgame dialogue fighting game?
Yeah, it's basically a deck builder game with some gameplay queues from Invisible, Inc. (random missions show up along the day, which help you become stronger as you get ready for the final mission). It adds a lot to the genre with its two-deck mechanic (you can either be diplomatic or violent), as well as the friendship mechanic.

The openworld aspect was probably removed due to scope.