• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Why are people saying to use Draw, you only need to Draw GFs from bosses

You should be playing cards and using the Card command on battles so you get AP but not EXP

But I believe it requires you to level up as some of the drops needed only come from high level enemies. Another reason I tend to level up and not play low level.
No it doesn't, you just have to grind out 20 Elynoyle cards

the Grendel drop actually comes from being UNDER level 20

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here are the main tips I'd recommend for a first-time player:

- Don't focus on grinding, it's unnecessary.
- Try to find out what items you need to upgrade a character's weapon as soon you can. Sometimes items can only be farmed at specific points in the story or much later, so if you decide to pass on upgrading a weapon you miss your opportunity to get an upgrade for a significant portion of the game.
- Enjoy the card game, it's really fun. I would recommend against reading tutorials on how to exploit it to gain rare items very early on the game, it can trivialize the experience for you.
- You can tie magic to your stats and the more of that magic you have stocked up, the more powerful that stat will be. For that reason, I recommend you avoid using magic much, if at all.
- A controller with turbo function is useful for the summons.

That's it, have fun. It's a nice little jRPG :)

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Why are people saying to use Draw, you only need to Draw GFs from bosses

You should be playing cards and using the Card command on battles so you get AP but not EXP

No it doesn't, you just have to grind out 20 Elynoyle cards

the Grendel drop actually comes from being UNDER level 20
That could be, it's been a couple of years. I thought also it needed dragon fins from mid level T Rex but I think I"m thinking of another weapon.

I'm pretty sure you can get the Lionheart on disc 1 being over level 20 as well seeing as how I tend to level and I've gotten it a couple of times.

But yeah, there is no right way to play the game. Staying "low level" is definitely one way, but having spells like "ultima, flare, meteor etc from level 45 enemies early imo makes you the same kind of strong as being low level plus it doesn't require you to card everything, etc. Honestly, I just don't enjoy the game staying low level. I try to keep it around level 50 or so. Don't want to go crazy.

I think it's a "to each their own" thing.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
That could be, it's been a couple of years. I thought also it needed dragon fins from mid level T Rex but I think I"m thinking of another weapon.

I'm pretty sure you can get the Lionheart on disc 1 being over level 20 as well seeing as how I tend to level and I've gotten it a couple of times.
You're thinking of a different route to get it, this is the no level approach

FreddyP's Disc One Lionheart Guide - Final Fantasy VIII

For Final Fantasy VIII on the PlayStation, a GameFAQs message board topic titled "FreddyP's Disc One Lionheart Guide".

The thread's an 18 year old classic, I've used it like 3-4 times since it was made

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
You're thinking of a different route to get it, this is the no level approach

FreddyP's Disc One Lionheart Guide - Final Fantasy VIII

For Final Fantasy VIII on the PlayStation, a GameFAQs message board topic titled "FreddyP's Disc One Lionheart Guide".

The thread's an 18 year old classic, I've used it like 3-4 times since it was made
Shit, I think I read that guide to get it in the first place lol. Definitely takes me back.

BionicDreamer

Nov 6, 2017
D3OoMRPWsAAnUsj.png

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
People that complain about drawing are doing it wrong.

Bosses have summons though, draw those.

Yeah. Cannot stress enough to keep in mind the bosses with summons that are missable, the summon list in the menu can be entirely filled with summon head icons.

also, even if one has to draw there is a speed boost iirc. It really isn't that bad to even do it the basic way. Takes a few min to get to 100 from a standard enemy.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Cannot stress enough to keep in mind the bosses with summons that are missable, the summon list in the menu can be entirely filled with summon head icons.

also, even if one has to draw there is a speed boost iirc. It really isn't that bad to even do it the basic way. Takes a few min to get to 100 from a standard enemy.
And consider if this was any other JRPG you would be spending more than those few min killing mobs for exp which isn't necessary here.

OP
OP
ReasonableAdult
Mar 11, 2021
Oh god, I am so bad at Triple Triad

I got Ifrit and am now trying to beat the Queen of Cards per a walkthrough I'm using. She is savage, I think I've lost 5 times in a row lol (keep resetting)

OP
OP
ReasonableAdult
Mar 11, 2021
I am avoiding leveling up like the plague

I AM SPENDING ALL OF MY TIME PLAYING TRIPLE TRIAD. HAVE PLAYED FOR 4 HOURS AND YET TO DO ANYTHING PAST IFRIT

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
Fantastic game whether you min-max with low levels or if you just take things as they go and play "normally".

I've always loved this game and you will too!

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Just play however you want and have fun.

I level grinded to 100 as a kid when this first came out and completed everything including the optional superbosses no problem. I didn't know how to cheese the game at all, and it wasn't a big deal.

lampeater

Oct 27, 2017
Boy I wish I read up on the card refining when I played for the first time - wasted so much time draw-draw-drawing.

My only addition is to watch out about spreading unfavorable rules in Triple Triad once that becomes a thing. I accidentally spread Random when I wasn't paying attention and that was a nightmare.

hussmk

Oct 29, 2017
OP just enjoy the game and make your own rules, don't listen to anyone! You can level up your characters to level 100 if you want to and the difficulty will still be alright. I did that as a kid without any guide and still managed to beat the game without much trouble (or even doing the card refinement).