• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Got ToZ in the Namco Sale

The story and characters so far are really enjoyable but what the fuck at this awful combat system?

You can only move forward or backwards in a small section of the overworld because for some stupid reason they tried to make the battles in-map instead of transporting you to a battle stage like all other entries

This means that every time there is a dungeon I get stuck looking at a freaking wall while the enemy kicks my ass because the camera simply can't follow all the action in such a cramped space...

How!? Why!?

This is every flaw in FFXV's overworld battles Times 1000000

Deleted member 21094

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's a reason why ToZ was the final hit that really hurt the franchise off the back of tox and tox2 combo, I mean those games were at least fine, but ToZ's camera is irredeemable.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Totally off topic, but I recently returned to my 30 hour save file in Berseria after not playing the game for more than half a year and you know what, I also thought the combat was ass in that game too.

Oct 31, 2017
I honestly hardly ever had issues with the camera while playing ToZ. It's really not that bad.

FFXV's camera is far worse and it's atrocious no matter where you are.

PacoChan

Oct 28, 2017
The battle system is really similar to Tales of Graces. The main movement is forward and backwards, but you can sidestep too. That's one of the main mechanics and what you should do constantly. You can also unlock free run later on, but I don't think it's the best way of movement in this battle system.

Aside of that, yes, this game has a lot of problems with the camera.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
It's been a while but I don't remember having an issue with the camera in ToZ. Isn't there an option or a button you can press that lets you freely move around the battles?

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
I got GOT by this game when they first showed the game off, thinking it was going towards the Graces F style gameplay. Fuggin played like a chump. Probably the most dull tales game i've played, which sucks cause I really wanted to like the game.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
The linear motion is a series staple actually, although most of the games have the camera take a side view so you're going left to right instead of forward and back. Graces had the same behind the back style as Zestiria but was much better about it since battles were on a separate field screen.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
It's also what turned me away after 20 to 30 hours into Zestiria and Berseria. I finished Graces F, Xilia and Xillia 2, but the everchanging battlemechanics are turning me off.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember the camera being an issue, but the combat was rather unengaging so I didn't get past 8 hours.

Granted, this was my only Tales of game outside of a brief attempt at the GCN one.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The combat is fine, never had a problem with the camera. The game itself is the problem, boring and forgettable.

brick-a20b

Oct 25, 2017
The camera does mess up during battles, but it didn't hamper my enjoyment of the game too much. Just an issue here and there, I wouldn't drop the game because of that.

My other thoughts on the game. I also found the dungeons to be samey and bland, with the rooms, chests, and layout the same but a different colour. I enjoyed the story, and I while initially i didn't like the weapon systems, I ended up enjoying grinding for particular weapon stacks. I recall getting the 80% art casting reduction on Sorey and 2 seraphins, so I spent 20+ hours spamming maelstorm + whatever.

The greatest achievement was beating the final boss on the hardest difficulty, even after beating the secret optional boss (destroying that optional makes the final boss much harder). Enjoyed grinding for those dragon+ damage equipment.

I was going to buy the newest tales, but it just looked to simliar to Zesteria, so I am holding off. There was a sale on these titles recently

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like all Tales Of games after Symphonia and Abyss, imo. They went the low budget minimum effort route for some reason

I think most Tales games after Symphonia range from good to great to amazing. Zestiria is the only one that isn't on that range. I completed Berseria today and it was amazing. Much better than Zestiria. Symphonia and Vesperia still reign supreme though.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, the camera is troublesome. But it isn't the biggest problem this game has. Still, it is enjoyable so continue trying it OP.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
How far into the game are you? Because the camera and combat should be the least of your worries with this game.

I just got the water bow and proceeded to marvel in awe as the camera gave a beautiful shot showing the body of the enemy worm clipping through the walls for the entirety of the battle

Sucks because after Xillia 2 this story feels like Tolkien by comparison

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
The camera was a bit problematic at times, but I honestly thought that Zestiria had one of the better Tales battle systems. It had some meaningful resource management and required some thought about what to use when and against which enemies.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
Berseria is grossly overrated and receives way too much love for something that isn't objectively better than its predecessor. I actually enjoyed Zestiria more mainly due to the superior OST (and characters).

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tales has always been one of those franchises where the gameplay doesn't get good until you unlock all of the mechanics. Of course, this varies from game to game because most of them use a slightly tweaked system. It's really rough to start into especially if the rest of the game is meh in the story department.

Oct 28, 2017
I tried so hard to like this game but it was just so bad.

The characters were meh and the combat and customization seemed overly complicated.

Probably my most disliked entry in the franchise.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Horrible upgrade system and really really really bland dungeons. The somewhat entertaining skits couldn't save the game. I actually liked a few of the characters but that silent edgelord dude just broke the camel's back for me. This trope needs to go away.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
It gets irritating at times, but I played the entire game last year and found it's relatively easy to fix in a pinch. You'll get the hang of it, and really the environments are mostly open with simple geometry anyway. It's not often you are in cramped environs like the tutorial dungeon(assuming that is where you are currently and have yet to actually experience the overworld).

That said, there is a free-run button modifier. You'll want to push it now and again for such situations.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Totally off topic, but I recently returned to my 30 hour save file in Berseria after not playing the game for more than half a year and you know what, I also thought the combat was ass in that game too.
I keep wanting to get in the game cause people sing its praises but I look at videos of the game's combat and it looks like ass. I never get how the hell is it supposed to be fun to wade in with your allies and you whacking away at the enemy all at the same time.

Can you put party members in "Passive" or "Defend" mode at least and just let the player do the leg work?

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
It shouldn't be that bad. You have standard movement, and free movement with a modifier or an optional battle skill you can set later. Since you're mostly on a plane, you don't even need to see anything anyway.

But the story is fairly dumb, the combat is just boring, and the equipment system is so obtuse it's not even worth bothering. The characters are a lot of fun, though, and some of the music is really good.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Berseria is grossly overrated and receives way too much love for something that isn't objectively better than its predecessor. I actually enjoyed Zestiria more mainly due to the superior OST (and characters).

I'll very strongly disagree. Berseria was a huge step up from the Xillia games and Zestiria, and other than the bad graphics at time, is easily one of the better 3D Tales games. And the characters and music are much better than in Zestiria.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I thought this would be about the shitty system of only having 2 actual party members and everyone else is a damn elemental attachment. Oh yeah...fuck Zesty.....and Mikleo.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
I'll very strongly disagree. Berseria was a huge step up from the Xillia games and Zestiria, and other than the bad graphics at time, is easily one of the better 3D Tales games. And the characters and music are much better than in Zestiria.

The quality of characters are subjective but I found Rose (morally gray) and Edna (hilarious and sarcastic troll) to be far better than any of the Berseria characters (especially Edna as she is one of the best characters in the series).
None of the moments in Berseria even come close to the epicness of the rising up scene or the final battle in Zestiria.

As for the music being better in Berseria that's just plain wrong. I nearly fell asleep from all the generic background noise tunes. Go Shiina is so much better than Sakuraba it's not funny. I don't think it's a coincidence that Legendia is heavily criticised as a game but widely praised for its music which Shiina also worked on. Berseria greatly suffered due to his absence.

Oct 30, 2017
I found Zestiria to have a wonderful cast of characters, a legitimately interesting world, and an overall good story...all of which was, unfortunately, bolted on to one of the worst PLAYING games I've ever had, and the camera was a large reason for that. Didn't help the level up system was completely lame. Barely any boost for leveling up. Wanna boost your stats? I hope you've been finding these dumb plants then. I found the equipment system to be more convoluted than it needed to be, and the game just devolved into a chore to play as too often I felt vastly underpowered despite pouring loads of time into each area before moving on.