• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xclash

Oct 25, 2017
gulqbzhobm611.jpg

Is this real?

Yep, that's a real tweet by Don Jr.

Downhome

Oct 27, 2017
Even as a kid in American studies classes here in the US I always found it super weird how the Supreme Court Judges are lifetime appointments. I remember thinking back then just how unfair that was long before I had any real clue about what a democrat/republican or left/right was. Are there term limits in other countries where you guys are from, or max ages or things like that? I don't think there is much doubt that Ruth Bader Ginsburg will retire before Trump is out of office if he gets reelected. She has law clerks signed through 2020 and has said she wants to do it how John Paul Stevens retired at 90.

Can you imagine the pressure it puts on these judges? Depending on the president in office, knowing they need to hold on until this or that president is out of office if they really wish to uphold and secure the things they helped put into place.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just in regards to white supremacy, not tax rates.

Well yeah. Basically we had the civil war, they lost, civil rights movement, they lost for the most part.

Now it's coming around again. Kind of looks like they might win this time. Shitty white people keep being shitty basically. Not all that much has changed in nearly 200 years. This isn't solely a problem in the US either.

MDS

Banned
Jun 26, 2018
And if the supreme Court destroys lgtq rights and women rights and annhilates any chance of getting around the blatant bribery that takes place in this country then you should understand why people are upset.

This is a huge deal that people have literally no control over. But it's ok, because we can just go outside and ignore all the awful shit that is probably going to happen. Not a big deal, LGBTQ+ rights are probably gone, but lol just go outside fam

The Republicans have had the majority on the court since 1972. They've had a 7-2 or greater majority for 36 of those years. Basically every decision granting LGBTQ rights has occurred and persisted through Republican controlled Supreme Courts. They pretty consistently split on the issue of expanding rights but also tend to respect the precedent of previous decisions expanding rights even if they wouldn't have voted that way to begin with.

Another period of 5-4 or 6-3 is not legal doomsday.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Can the Dems refuse to vote on a selection until 2020 and just pull a mcconnel? Of course Trump doesn't give a damn and could just appoint the way Obama should have.
Dems have 49 votes, so they couldn't stop it if they wanted to now that the threshold is 50. If they win 51 seats in November then we can block picks. This is crucial if Ginsburg cannot hold out health-wise and why November is still important besides just the House.

Obama couldn't have just appointed someone, neither can Trump.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't add much more that hasn't been said, but I wonder how much longer Ginsberg can hold out. God forbid she has some health issue and has to step down in the next two years. If Trump wins in 2020 he will 100% be replacing her too. Democrats have got to get off of our asses and swing Congress this year. And we have got to have a primary process from which emerges a candidate that can beat Trump in 2020. In 2016 we sent forth a shitbag candidate, the only major Dem politician maybe that Trump could have beaten. In 2020 we gotta do better or we are fucking this country over for decades. Civil rights for everyone except white straight males are on the table here.

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017
Believe me, I lost that feeling a long time ago. It's not just politics, it's life in general. I've got nothing to be happy about anymore, and the fact that we DO live in a 24/7 maelstrom of pure evil makes it even harder to tank that than it normally is.

I get you man. Not going to lie, my wife is worried constantly about the future and what it holds.

I decided to visit NeoGAF, to see what it is like now. I have not visited there since the incident and HOLY FUCKING HELL. When did that place become /r/The_Donald/?

It actually depressed me more. It is insane what people are saying in those threads and most things are "look at the triggered libs".

I am holding out for November to see what the country will look like in the coming years. I think that will be my breaking point.

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
Is this Kennedy person related to Kennedy family or just the same name? And he was successor to Antonin Scalia? Or this is also totally unrelated? Sorry don't know much about USA Gov. If you don't mind the question....

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a ridiculous statement that lacks perspective. Folks in the US have had it so much worse and have faced incredible hardship in the last 100 years. For the vast majority of the country life is no different this morning then it was 18 hours ago.

Every day - no, every few hours - something comes out that makes us all a little worse off. Boundaries are pushed. Lines are crossed. And the fear comes back.

Last year, a mob of neo Nazis marched on Charlottesville chanting about jews, about people like me. One of them even committed an act of terrorism that injured dozens and resulted in a fatality. The president called them very fine people.

Yesterday, the President called his supporters the "super elite." The master race.

He has been ranting about "fake news" for years. Lugenpresse.

We have concentration camps.

Do you realize how frightening the current state of affairs is for Hispanics who are being rounded up, or millenial Jews like myself who have our peoples' extermination taught to us from a young age by our grandparents and survivors who told us their stories in school and at Jewish community gatherings? My parents remember times when Jews couldn't own property in certain communities or have hospital privileges. We received those kinds of talks about civil rights and discrimination just like African Americans, with even more organization behind the messages.

We're screaming and terrified because we know what path we're heading down.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Every day - no, every few hours - something comes out that makes us all a little worse off. Boundaries are pushed. Lines are crossed. And the fear comes back.

Last year, a mob of neo Nazis marched on Charlottesville chanting about jews, about people like me. One of them even committed an act of terrorism that injured dozens and resulted in a fatality. The president called them very fine people.

Yesterday, the President called his supporters the "super elite." The master race.

He has been ranting about "fake news" for years. Lugenpresse.

We have concentration camps.

Do you realize how frightening the current state of affairs is for Hispanics who are being rounded up, or millenial Jews like myself who have our peoples' extermination taught to us from a young age by our grandparents and survivors who told us their stories in school and at Jewish community gatherings? My parents remember times when Jews couldn't own property in certain communities or have hospital privileges. We received those kinds of talks about civil rights and discrimination just like African Americans, with even more organization behind the messages.

We're screaming and terrified because we know what path we're heading down.

If you're Jewish, can't you very easily immigrate to Israel?

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
Are there term limits in other countries where you guys are from, or max ages or things like that?
There is a mandatory retirement age of 75 in Canada.

The biggest issue in the US Supreme Court is its partisan nature. In my view, the Supreme Court should be something that works quietly in the background, not a front and centre battleground for politics.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
What a fucking horrible question to ask.

How is it horrible? This thread and other threads are full of people despairing over how its impossible to get out of this country due to the immigration policies of other nations, like Canada's point system. The poster even said that he needs to be prepared to flee for his life. I was asking how easy it is to do said fleeing to Israel, since as I understand it they have a very good right of return law.

If your white can't you very easily immigrate to England/UK?

No, actually

Last edited:

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Is this Kennedy person related to Kennedy family or just the same name? And he was successor to Antonin Scalia? Or this is also totally unrelated? Sorry don't know much about USA Gov. If you don't mind the question....
He's not related to the JFK Kennedys, no.

Scalia's replacement was Neil Gorsuch, a seat which Republicans stole from Obama during his last year in office and who was quickly confirmed after Trump took office. Gorsuch will be on the Court for a very long time. Scalia was previously the most senior Associate Justice until he died, making Kennedy the most senior until now, if that's what you were referring to.

Once Trump won it was common speculation that Kennedy would likely retire so he could have his successor chosen by a Republican, so this isn't entirely unexpected, but the timing is a bit sudden. Especially given that the outcome of Mueller's investigation is likely to elevate several crucial legal questions to the Supreme Court. Someone like Kennedy would be better to have on the Court for that over whatever partisan Trump will end up picking.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
One thing Roberts is absolutely terrible on is voter rights. Hard to imagine what voter suppression laws he would not allow.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I get you man. Not going to lie, my wife is worried constantly about the future and what it holds.

I decided to visit NeoGAF, to see what it is like now. I have not visited there since the incident and HOLY FUCKING HELL. When did that place become /r/The_Donald/?

It actually depressed me more. It is insane what people are saying in those threads and most things are "look at the triggered libs".

I am holding out for November to see what the country will look like in the coming years. I think that will be my breaking point.

It shifted so fast.

I just want this nightmare to be over. I don't care how it happens, I just want it to end. I'm tired, and my soul is ragged from constantly screaming.

If your white can't you very easily immigrate to England/UK?

...this is a joke, isn't it?

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
He's not related to the JFK Kennedys, no.

Scalia's replacement was Neil Gorsuch, a seat which Republicans stole from Obama during his last year in office and who was quickly confirmed after Trump took office. Gorsuch will be on the Court for a very long time. Scalia was previously the most senior Associate Justice until he died, making Kennedy the most senior until now, if that's what you were referring to.

Once Trump won it was common speculation that Kennedy would likely retire so he could have his successor chosen by a Republican, so this isn't entirely unexpected, but the timing is a bit sudden. Especially given that the outcome of Mueller's investigation is likely to elevate several crucial legal questions to the Supreme Court. Someone like Kennedy would be better to have on the Court for that over whatever partisan Trump will end up picking.

Ok, thanks for explanation : )

Kinopio

Oct 27, 2017
This is devastating. There's no way around it. What a terribly sad day. Wow.

He must know what this means.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone please clarify:

Are folks suggesting that democrats pack federal courts now, without holding the presidency (and thus without having the ability to nominate Article 3 judges) or to pack the courts when they have the ability to do so (i.e., when there's a democratic president)?

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Can someone please clarify:

Are folks suggesting that democrats pack federal courts now, without holding the presidency (and thus without having the ability to nominate Article 3 judges) or to pack the courts when they have the ability to do so (i.e., when there's a democratic president)?
They're talking about when they have the ability.

If people are talking things democrats don't really have power to do, they're probably talking about stalling the vote somehow.

Last edited:

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
McConnell will just make up whatever shit fits what he needs. He's a shameless hypocrite who doesn't see himself as a hypocrite.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
The moon is in the 7th house and jupiter aligns with mars which is why it's okay to delay the confirmation before but not now.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
BTW expect the Media to write articles proclaiming how the Democrats are wrong to compare this to 2016 and that they are trying to cheat and be unfair.

Also expect if like say three of the red state Dems eventually vote to confirm while every other Dem votes against whoever is nominated that the headlines will read "X Person's nomination to SC Confirmed with Bipartisan Support"

Because make no mistake Bipartisan is here defined as if one Dem agrees it's all of a sudden bipartisan.

MDS

Banned
Jun 26, 2018
SCOTUSblog has compiled a list of some major decisions that would have gone the other way with a more conservative justice, to help visualize the consequence.

http://www.scotusblog.com/2018/06/the-roberts-court-after-kennedy/

They're stretching quite a bit to make Kennedy look more liberal and crucial then he was. The section on political gerrymandering is particularly silly. Kennedy has never actually differed from the conservative majority in his vote on the issue. All they have is that he once indicated in a Concurrence that there might be constitutional limits on it, but not in that particular case and apparently not in any of the cases that have come before him afterward either

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Next time a supreme justice dies, ask someone from your own political spectrum to retire to keep the numbers odd Don't replace those extra justices.
Packing undone.

This makes me want to leave the U.S, honestly. My faith in the courts was my last pillar of belief. With the muslim ban upheld and conservative justices letting Trump nominate far right lawful evil judges, I have no faith in any part of the government anymore. local and federal legislatures are gerrymandered in favor of republicans, the president is going to be an evil being who will continue to cause untold damage and suffering. un-fucking-told...

The damage will be worldwide too and not limited to american health and wallets. 10s of millions of humans, at a minimum, will die because of damages to the economy, science and geopolitics. The amount of grief I feel is crushing, depressing. The fact that people even voted for him is even more depressing and crushing. How naive, how meanspirited, how cowardly can people be? Turns out, too fucking much.

This. I'd never actually considered moving until now. What will there be left to save?

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
They're stretching quite a bit to make Kennedy look more liberal and crucial then he was. The section on political gerrymandering is particularly silly. Kennedy has never actually differed from the conservative majority in his vote on the issue. All they have is that he once indicated in a Concurrence that there might be constitutional limits on it, but not in that particular case and apparently not in any of the cases that have come before him afterward either
Which lead to them picking up a new case that people thought he was going to go with the liberals on.

Maybe he never was going to follow through, but either way it's worth mentioning after all the previous hype for the supreme courts doing something about it. That dream is dead now.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I don't suppose we could get 2 Republican Senators who are offended by the naked hypocrisy to vote no until after the midterms? The answer is no, isn't it?

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania

I feel like Kennedy is the SCOTUS version of McCain. Super-Conservative but everyone portrays him as a moderate because of a couple votes.

Deleted member 643

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This situation with the Supreme Court was exactly what was being voted on last election. From the day Trump won we knew this terrible day was coming, and it's going to cause generations of suffering

You guys are fucking relentless. I was just trying to talk to a another soul that needed some love. Go ahead and have your pity party though. PM me if you wanna talk bro, seriously. Unsubscribe from this toxic ass miserable fucking thread too. This isn't good for anyone's mental health.
I've become sadly convinced as time has gone on that it is only a matter of time until this forum results in someone's death with the way things are going

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
I don't suppose we could get 2 Republican Senators who are offended by the naked hypocrisy to vote no until after the midterms? The answer is no, isn't it?
The only option is if we could pin something bad on the nominee that is very unpopular. Collins and Murkowski's voters don't care about procedure, but they would care about them voting for the reversal of Roe vs Wade for instance.

The problem is those nominees never take a stance on anything publicly until they're appointed so that can't happen, and they'll probably be careful to not pick anyone that had to rule on anything too controversial.