• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ya know, the best case scenario is that Trump's nominee bribes Trump in order to get a hearing, is confirmed, and then later the bribery comes out and he (I'm gonna assume it's a he) is later impeached.

That's actually a pretty likely scenario, honestly.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I hope liberals remain fucking furious when the new justice is appointed and carry it all the way to November. Hope this galvanizes people.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
DguAIdAVQAA0Wd4.jpg

That face
tenor.gif

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Oh fuck, no doubt the GOP will make Trump pick a far right conservative type, so it's likely gay marriage debate is gonna become a thing again even after Trump is gone. amazing...

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Twitter full of politicians and celebrities trying to push the narrative that the next appointment shouldn't be until after the election, as if hypocrisy was ever a barrier for Republicans before, or pushing to stall the appointment until after Mueller releases his findings.

Neither will happen. Republicans are not going to give up this chance.

SegFault

Oct 25, 2017
People saying dems would get destroyed for packing the court don't realize the court doesn't fucking matter to people otherwise McConnell and republicans would've been punished for withholding the seat.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
It was the democratic senate under Harry Reid who removed the filibuster rule for president appointments, except for supreme court, back in 2013. In 2017 the republicans added supreme court justices to the no-filibuster pro forma rules. Just another reminder that changing the system for short term benefits can drastically hurt you in the long term or can have unintended consequences years down the road.
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/01/democrats-trump-cabinet-senate/513782/

Hopefully if dems do get back to a 60 vote majority they put BACK in some of those old, old rules which are there to prevent any one party from steamrolling in their agenda and just slows everything down and forces some sort of compromise.

They'll just remove it the next time they're in power.

RedValkyrie

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RBG needs to threaten her retirement before the midterms. Maybe that will light a fire under Dems.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Srsly. They lost to Donald fucking Trump. Donald.Fucking.Trump.
One of the most annoying things about 2016 is this idea that Trump was a joke candidate who couldn't possibly win and only did so because Hillary Clinton was so weak of a candidate.

Hillary was a weak candidate (obviously: she lost!) but this line of thinking pisses me off because it totally abdicates Republicans and independents of any responsibility in voting for Trump, and totally dismisses the extremely recent period of American history that not just produced Donald Trump but a Republican electorate eager to empower someone like him. You can trace a pretty straight line from Sarah Palin to the Tea Party to Eric Cantor losing his primary to Dave Brat, right to Trump.

Trump might have lost that election to a different Democratic nominee, but his nomination was not a fluke or some weird aberration that happened for some bizarre set of reasons no one can explain. He's the logical result of the past 8 years of Republican politics, and the fact that an overwhelming majority of Republicans still approve of him proves that this is the path they were always happy to be going down.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Just FYI, if Trump tries to pardon himself and the Supreme Court has to vote on whether he can do so, think how they'll vote now.

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
Uh, no. Voter suppression measures are enacted by Republican state governments.

How many voting times did voting right expansion come up under the democrat majority Congress? Voting rights for felons, voting rights for DC...... how many times were those brought up pre-2016? When Shelby County v Holder happened......... where was the legislation to address it?

Besides that, why did the democratic party hemorrhage seats at state and local levels under Obama? Why were they ignored? Because that was the most damaging salvo at voting rights over the past decade.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Time for Roberts to step up and become the swing vote to maintain the integrity of his beloved court.

It was the democratic senate under Harry Reid who removed the filibuster rule for president appointments, except for supreme court, back in 2013. In 2017 the republicans added supreme court justices to the no-filibuster pro forma rules. Just another reminder that changing the system for short term benefits can drastically hurt you in the long term or can have unintended consequences years down the road.
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/01/democrats-trump-cabinet-senate/513782/

Hopefully if dems do get back to a 60 vote majority they put BACK in some of those old, old rules which are there to prevent any one party from steamrolling in their agenda and just slows everything down and forces some sort of compromise.
Uh, no. McConnell would have abolished the filibuster for nominations himself.

Oct 31, 2017
I was hoping this wouldn't happen, but it's something most of us figured was a real possibility when Trump was elected. Barring something left-field, a judge should be nominated and confirmed this year since Republicans control the Senate, and Roberts would be the "swing" vote.

This is bad news, but at the same time, it's why 2018 is so important. This will have huge implications for the census in 2020, so state legislatures/governors' mansions are hugely important, never mind Congress. I've voted in the tiniest of elections since 2017 started and will make it a point to continue to do so when the stakes are so high.

This is the biggest mistake one can make about 2016.

Trump was not a bad candidate. Thinking Hillary was the only problem just sets this up to happen again.

A quibble: I'd say he really was a bad candidate (the only one who wasn't easily above Hillary during the primaries while people like Rubio and Kasich were) and torpedoed himself so many times (going after the Khan family after the convention, going after the Mexican judge, Curiel, his terrible debate preparation), but his strategy was completely underrated. He blatantly showed his hand with going after the rust belt and did it, which had tentacles in other states like Florida, whose southwestern counties are more mid-western than other parts of the state.

So I still agree with you. While a better candidate than Trump, the same was said about Bush, even in 04 (how did the Democrats pick someone who could have lost to Bush?), without people realizing his strategy he was employing and that it was effective. If people think simply nominating someone more progressive will win things in 2020, it won't (though I'd like someone more progressive).

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
I'm thankful for his service throughout the decades regardless of the timing. The timing is interesting, but then again, he was elected by a Republican even if he did lean left at times.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Fuck Kennedy for this and fuck his legacy. He will go down in the history books as a traitor to this country and nothing more.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if there's anyone in Politics I've wished more bodily harm upon than Mitch McConnell. The man is a goddamn cancer on this country's future.

Horror

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I wonder if the Republicans will try to pass legislation that obstructs our right to Vote in order to mitigate the November elections.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think you guys owe it to yourselves to avoid articles like this until some time has passed and the dust has settled a bit.
Fuck that garbage, people need to get fucking angry. This is NOT OKAY. Fight for your fucking country before it devolves into a fascist hellhole.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this is absolutely not true, voter apathy is a problem for both parties. But since the Dem base is naturally larger, it's a bigger problem for Dems. And since the electoral system is geared to over-represent rural areas and under-represent cities, where the Dems do exactly what you just said GOP voters do. They just vote for the D next to their name.y.
This is completely true. GOP voters reliably turn out where Dem voters don't - it's why midterms and off-year elections have historically had whiter electorates than Presidential years.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User warned: derailing the thread with primary relitigation
Bernie probably would have beaten Trump. Only problem is Bernie was gunning for Trump during the primaries rather than Hilary. Of course some of this can be laid on the media who kept reporting Hilary being ahead non-stop due to the super delegates, but I feel like the fault lies mostly with Bernie.

Do you have any sources for Bernie supporting Trump in the primaries? A quote or statement or something.

Likely one of the dumbest posts I've seen in a while.

He would have won.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
He's retiring July 31st. Midterms are November 6th.

Do the math.
I don't know what this post even means.

There's nothing anyone in this thread can do RIGHT NOW about Kennedy retiring. Trump WILL pick his replacement and he WILL be confirmed, so why keep piling on bad thing after bad thing all at once instead of letting it process over the next few days?

Take a deep breath and get ready for some serious fights in the future.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
When we're all stripped of our rights there will still be morons screaming "but her emails!!!". Well done trumptards.