• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

And here's the story that led to this -

https://www.thewrap.com/young-turks-cenk-uygur-blog-breasts-women-flawed/

"Young Turks" creator and host Cenk Uygur made multiple graphic and disparaging remarks about women in his early days as a blogger, including saying that women were genetically "flawed" because they don't want to have sex often enough.

TheWrap found the blog posts, from the early 2000s, in online archives. In an interview with TheWrap, Uygur apologized and said he deleted the "ugly" posts a decade ago because "I don't stand by them."

"The stuff I wrote back then was really insensitive and ignorant," Uygur said. "If you read that today, what I wrote 18 years ago, and you're offended by it, you're 100 percent right. And anyone who is subjected to that material, I apologize to. And I deeply regret having written that stuff when I was a different guy."

Uygur said he wrote the posts while he was still a conservative, before he underwent a political transformation into a liberal. His news organization, The Young Turks, now offers left-leaning stories and commentary.

"If someone said that today, I would heavily criticize them on the show and rightfully so, and I have. I've criticized myself over the years," he added. "I had not yet matured and I was still a conservative who thought that stuff was politically incorrect and edgy. When you read it now, it looks really, honestly, ugly. And it's very uncomfortable to read."

In an entry from 2000, Uygur complained about not having enough sex while living in Miami: "It seems like there is a sea of tits here, and I am drinking in tiny droplets. I want to dive into the whole god damn ocean," he wrote. "Obviously, the genes of women are flawed. They are poorly designed creatures who do not want to have sex nearly as often as needed for the human race to get along peaceably and fruitfully."
Another post from 2004 described a road trip with Uygur and David Koller, now senior vice president of operations at the Young Turks. The post was written in the style of a diary entry. At one point, "Dave" described chatting up some underage teenage girls he called "whores in training."

"In one small Pennsylvania town we stopped for gas, and while Cenk filled up I went to talk to these three girls who were walking down the road nearby. Turns out they were three teenage girls, whores in training, literally looking for boys to pick them up," he wrote. "They were around 14-16 and in a few more years will be pretty damn good looking.
"

The problem with the "transformation" narrative is that this is only 4 years old. Post-TYT.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Not shocked at all, i mean the dude denied the Armenian Genocide among a long list of shitty views.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wasnt Cenk one of the founders of the Justice Democrats? Anyway, this isnt the first time dodgy shit hes written has come out. At least this time he's actually disavowing it.

BUNTING1243

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the people attacking him on Twitter were defending Joy Ann Reid for those homophobic blog posts, which seems odd.

Beyond that, he probably shouldn't have this leadership position and I'm glad they removed him.

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We know some fuckery with Kyle Kulinski and Jimmy Dore is next.

God I hate these assholes so much

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Not shocked at all, i mean the dude denied the Armenian Genocide among a long list of shitty views.
I wasn't even aware of that kind of nonsense, I was just put off by him and his antics in general since they seemed flippantly ignorant on any TYT segment I watched and have done my best to avoid him and that outlet since the dawn of Facebook and Youtube personalities.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the people attacking him on Twitter were defending Joy Ann Reid for those homophobic blog posts, which seems odd.

Beyond that, he probably shouldn't have this leadership position and I'm glad they removed him.
A lot of people are there just for the dragging, reason and target are irreverent

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
We know some fuckery with Kyle Kulinski and Jimmy Dore is next.

God I hate these assholes so much
God i forgot about Dore, yeah he says suspect shit ON air. Can't imagine off air.
I wasn't even aware of that kind of nonsense, I was just put off by him and his antics in general since they seemed flippantly ignorant on any TYT segment I watched and have done my best to avoid him and that outlet since the dawn of Facebook and Youtube personalities.
Yeah he is the prototypical "Brogressive" where left, liberal, progress, etc are a very thin set of shit they care about

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cent hurt their credibility from the moment they started. Why expel him now. His meltdowns and shitty views aren't a new development.

Oct 28, 2017
Aside from supporting legalization of marijuana and gay marriage, I think most progressives aren't very far removed from those on right in regards to how they view society, which is why I no longer trust them.

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Again displaying the moral differences between parties.

Caught saying or doing something morally reprehensible? You need to leave. Step down. Go, now.

vs

Shit man who cares! He's on our team!!

There are plenty of past examples that contradict this narrative, but it does seem that lately the party has heard the call to hold its members accountable for breaches in moral integrity.

Last edited:

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Aside from supporting legalization of marijuana and gay marriage, I think most progressives aren't very far removed from those on right in regards to how they view society, which is why I no longer trust them.

Well, those two things and access to affordable healthcare. And climate change. And police misconduct. And wealth inequality. And military adventurism. And reproductive freedom. And civil liberties. And the national security state. But other than those things and dozens more, i suppose you're right that there are no real differencses between left and right.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I think people in general really don't have that concrete of opinions about economic issues and (to a lesser extent) foreign issues since those are a bit more abstract and well, foreign. Social wedge issues tend to define someone's politics more often.

And like you say, you quickly find out which guys are actually progressive and which guys are abusive assholes who just want legal weed. Exhibit A: NeoGAF

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny how a lot of these heavy heavy anti-Hillary people seem to just have issues with women in general

Oct 25, 2017
canada
I think what he wrote is awful and i think he is awful, but something said 18yrs ago being used against his present self seems unreasonable

Though hes said unreasonable things more recently like the Armenian Genocide stuff which yeah..

Oct 28, 2017
Well, those two things and access to affordable healthcare. And climate change. And police misconduct. And wealth inequality. And military adventurism. And reproductive freedom. And civil liberties. And the national security state. But other than those things and dozens more, i suppose you're right that there are no real differencses between left and right.

Eh.. I've seen enough of my fair share of so-called progressives whine about how discomfited they are by Black Lives Matter protests to not take their concerns on police "misconduct," a term that is somewhat of an understatement, seriously when it comes to actual reform that protects the black community from extrajudicial brutality.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like this guy at all. While I wouldn't be shocked if he still held some misogynist views, I think holding what he wrote 18 years ago against him today when he's disavowed that mentality is unfair. *shrug*

Red Cadet 015

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh.. I've seen enough of my fair share of so-called progressives whine about how discomfited they are by Black Lives Matter protests to not take their concerns on police "misconduct," a term that is somewhat of an understatement, seriously when it comes to actual reform that protects the black community from extrajudicial brutality.
You can't lead with those things though. Try winning a statewide race in the Midwest running on BLM. You'll lose. With national and statewide races, you have to lead with issues that are universal to everyone- which is what Cenk talks about.

Also, this was 18 years ago. Meh. And he shouldn't be a part of justice Democrats anyway, he's running a TV show. Whatever.

Oct 27, 2017
I always thought his seemingly obsessive hate of Hillary was a bit more than just because of anything she'd actually done

OP
OP
Kirblar

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can't lead with those things though. Try winning a statewide race in the Midwest running on BLM. You'll lose. With national and statewide races, you have to lead with issues that are universal to everyone- which is what Cenk talks about.
(no Democrat is running on BLM as the primary issue in the general campaign in a national or statewide election)

Those who think they are think that way because "any" mention of those issues is too much for them.

Hat22

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Kyle got fired from TYT for abuse allegations.

Can't find anything on this.

You'd think that denying several genocides and naming your news group after the orchestrators of those genocides would be enough to disqualify somebody from being a progressive champion. Can't say it's fair to judge somebody for ancient blogposts that had have been deleted for years but it's better that he is gone. Still don't expect much out of Justice Democrats though.

That's why I said heavy heavy

I dislike Hilary, but not to the extent Cenk did

One of the few things he was right about. Of course, he still voted for her.

Red Cadet 015

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
(no Democrat is running on BLM as the primary issue in the general campaign in a national or statewide election)

Those who think they are think that way because "any" mention of those issues is too much for them.
I think it can be mentioned, but it can't be the lead. Also, the nature of our system makes it such that these are more local issues anyway. Unless there's some kind of sweeping federal threat to remove local funding, you're not going to get very far at the Federal level.

OP
OP
Kirblar

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it can be mentioned, but it can't be the lead. Also, the nature of our system makes it such that these are more local issues anyway. Unless there's some kind of sweeping federal threat to remove local funding, you're not going to get very far at the Federal level.
It's never the lead. The complaints are from people for whom a pea under the bed feels like a boulder.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Calling young black children super predators and supporting mandatory minimums is worth some hate imo.

But this shouldn't be a thread about Hillary, sorry.
Saint Bernard's happy ass voted for that same crime bill - the crime bill that White Bro Emeritus Biden wrote.

The "progressives" seem to have no issue with those two.

But let's not digress and instead focus on Cenk Uygur being a massive creep.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Don't like TYT at all from what I've seen, and the old posts are obviously disgusting as shit, but I'm not sure I like stuff being dragged up from 18 years ago without really recent stuff to tie it to. People can and should get better. I was a piece of shit 18 years ago, too. I'm sure someone could find some really homophobic crap I said on some old forums. Stuff that would rightfully throw current me into a fucking rage if someone said that stuff now.