• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reading my local paper which is in a deep red state (ugh) and how they discuss the Mueller report.... basically downplaying what's in it while enforcing "Trump did nothing illegal and Mueller says that as well"

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite thing about this is that it is both "total bullshit" and made up, but also totally exonerates him.
Yeah interesting how the report that totally exonerates him is now the "Crazy Mueller Report" that's full of "total bullshit" isn't it?

Also I didn't think he'd really shock me anymore but reading the President of the United States say "total bullshit" on his official Twitter, which counts as an official statement to the people, literally made my jaw drop and I gasped.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
The Republicans who were terribly offended and shocked by Rashida Tlaib saying "motherfucker" at a campaign event, will surely be very aghast at Trump tweeting "bullshit" on Good Friday to millions.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Means he took too much crushed up Adderall up his ass this morning and decided to Tweet.

No but for real, what is the hoax? Did the mueller investigation not even take place and they just twiddled their thumbs for two years? Or the results are the hoax? If so then how can the results be illegally started? Paper was stolen from Office Max? Trump is an imbecile.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Wait, because there aren't 67 Democrats in the Senate (an impossibility, really), that means all of Congress has already "decided on obstruction"...? Congress also contains the House. They're the ones who impeach, and they haven't decided on this issue yet.
None of what you said makes sense
...It was mathematically impossible for them to get 67 seats. 35 seats were up in 2018, 26 of which were already held by Democrats. That leaves 9 seats. Even if they took all of them, they'd still only have 58. Like I said, mathematically impossible.

I suggest stepping away from the Internet for a bit. Get some fresh air.
The basic conclusion of the Mueller report regarding obstruction is that Donald Trump only committed obstruction if Congress says that he committed obstruction. In other words, the long and short of it is, "Hey Congress, did Donald Trump commit obstruction of justice?" The answer to that question, and the result of impeachment, is a foregone conclusion.

The House has the ability to impeach -- the equivalent of bringing him to trial -- and the Senate has the responsibility of determining whether or not to convict. The House might impeach. The Senate will absolutely, under no circumstances, convict on the issue of obstruction of justice.

That's it. That's the final say. That's the decision. You don't need to go through the process to know the result. There isn't a 1-in-100 chance that 20 Republican senators turn on Donald Trump. There isn't a 1-in-10,000 chance. There isn't a 1-in-14,000,605 chance. It's zero. It's already done. You might as well ask a bunch of mobsters if they want to convict themselves, or go home and continue committing crime with impunity. Are you expecting a sudden outburst of good faith debate? Evidence-based decision making? A jaw-dropping wave of actual patriotic sentiment? It's 2019. We know what the deal is.

The fact that gaining a supermajority in the midterms wasn't a possibility in 2018 isn't relevant, other than to say that the conclusion of potential impeachment on grounds of obstruction of justice (to be determined by Congress) was set in stone even before 2018. I just grabbed up 2018 because it was the last time Senate seats were decided. But sure, even if Democrats and Independents held every seat and won every seat possible and ended up with 58 votes in the Senate, it would still be a near impossibility. At best, you'd get Murkowski, Collins, Romney, maybe Rand Paul... and that's it, assuming that none of the newly won seats were theirs. Regardless, if it was one vote from there, there'd be a chance. But nothing would happen from five votes out.

If you want to argue the semantics of it not being officially voted on, whatever. I don't need to touch a red-hot stovetop to know what would happen to my hand.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if he's talking about the head of the NSA, when he mentioned taking notes. The report said he wrote one and threw it in a safe lol.

Edit: nvm, think he was talking about one of his terrible lawyers lol

Last edited:

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
A really basic counter to his tiresome "Totally Fake Hoax Report Out To Get Me" claim is if it was fake and set up just to get him, why doesn't it openly list collusion, conspiracy, obstruction, etc, recommend impeachment or indictment, etc? If they were supposedly making up false claims and notes, why not make up one that says "Trump colluded" instead of saying they were unable to determine if collusion occurred?

In short, if it's a hit job it's a really poorly done one.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
No but for real, what is the hoax? Did the mueller investigation not even take place and they just twiddled their thumbs for two years? Or the results are the hoax? If so then how can the results be illegally started? Paper was stolen from Office Max? Trump is an imbecile.

It doesn't matter. It **feels** illegal.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
When there's a long break during a string of Dumbass Donald's tweets I have a wonderful vision of Cheeto Benito toppling off the the shitter while his insecure phone tumbles from his tiny orange hands.

One can dream.

L.E.D.

Oct 27, 2017
The basic conclusion of the Mueller report regarding obstruction is that Donald Trump only committed obstruction if Congress says that he committed obstruction. In other words, the long and short of it is, "Hey Congress, did Donald Trump commit obstruction of justice?" The answer to that question, and the result of impeachment, is a foregone conclusion.

The House has the ability to impeach -- the equivalent of bringing him to trial -- and the Senate has the responsibility of determining whether or not to convict. The House might impeach. The Senate will absolutely, under no circumstances, convict on the issue of obstruction of justice.

That's it. That's the final say. That's the decision. You don't need to go through the process to know the result. There isn't a 1-in-100 chance that 20 Republican senators turn on Donald Trump. There isn't a 1-in-10,000 chance. There isn't a 1-in-14,000,605 chance. It's zero. It's already done. You might as well ask a bunch of mobsters if they want to convict themselves, or go home and continue committing crime with impunity. Are you expecting a sudden outburst of good faith debate? Evidence-based decision making? A jaw-dropping wave of actual patriotic sentiment? It's 2019. We know what the deal is.

The fact that gaining a supermajority in the midterms wasn't a possibility in 2018 isn't relevant, other than to say that the conclusion of potential impeachment on grounds of obstruction of justice (to be determined by Congress) was set in stone even before 2018. I just grabbed up 2018 because it was the last time Senate seats were decided. But sure, even if Democrats and Independents held every seat and won every seat possible and ended up with 58 votes in the Senate, it would still be a near impossibility. At best, you'd get Murkowski, Collins, Romney, maybe Rand Paul... and that's it, assuming that none of the newly won seats were theirs. Regardless, if it was one vote from there, there'd be a chance. But nothing would happen from five votes out.

If you want to argue the semantics of it not being officially voted on, whatever. I don't need to touch a red-hot stovetop to know what would happen to my hand.

Long winded of way saying ' let's sweep these crimes under the rug'.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Long winded of way saying ' let's sweep these crimes under the rug'.
tumblr_meucnlncKA1ri6a38o1_400.gif

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Push for the full report. Begin impeachment. Tie up Trump with endless hearings and investigations. Derail his agenda. Ferociously protect the integrity of the 2020 elections. Vote him out. Prosecute him for obstruction, as laid out in the report. Lock him up.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
A really basic counter to his tiresome "Totally Fake Hoax Report Out To Get Me" claim is if it was fake and set up just to get him, why doesn't it openly list collusion, conspiracy, obstruction, etc, recommend impeachment or indictment, etc? If they were supposedly making up false claims and notes, why not make up one that says "Trump colluded" instead of saying they were unable to determine if collusion occurred?

In short, if it's a hit job it's a really poorly done one.
We can't have critical thinking here, it's too much for Trump supporters. For Trump and his goons, it's a hoax/witch hunt etc. when under fire. But when it comes to PR and spin, it totally clears the President.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
"Accordingly, while this report does not conclude that the President committed a crime, it also does not exonerate him."

^ I just keep quoting that single sentence from the report anytime someone claims Trump is innocent or that he shouldn't be impeached.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, the Trump tweets actually came earlier than I expected. I was anticipating that first we'd get the story from inside the White House about how he surely got mad watching TV coverage realizing this looks bad for him and then shouting to everyone that it was pointless to appoint Barr if he wasn't going to redact this stuff

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

They are underprepared to face the consequences of their actions, are slinging mud at a Republican lead investigation (Mueller), and trying to push back at a Democratic process. The results are not a hoax.

They're just trying to keep the political pot stirred and run the clock as much as possible.

They're embarrassed and they're trying to fight against time and the law.

Essentially, they're just all assholes and they got caught.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah interesting how the report that totally exonerates him is now the "Crazy Mueller Report" that's full of "total bullshit" isn't it?

Also I didn't think he'd really shock me anymore but reading the President of the United States say "total bullshit" on his official Twitter, which counts as an official statement to the people, literally made my jaw drop and I gasped.

You gotta realize (you probably do) that the people that after all this are still behind Trump are at this point in no way interested in reality. They need their alt-right fake news websites to tell them this whole investigation is a hoax, that every democrat is a fraud, that migrants are at our doors trying to rape us, that black people and gays are planning to take our identity and rights away, and so on. These people don't realize that until 24 hours ago, they trusted the Mueller report by acknowledging the so-called "result" Barr published. Now that the real conclusions are there, suddenly they are ready to believe the report is a hoax again. Cognitive dissonance at its best, not believing anything that impacts their thoughts and beliefs. Trump (or his advisors) know this all too well by now: his loyal fanbase can and does change opinions and views in minutes if the narrative spins.

The alt-right "info" sources are stuff worth analyzing, honestly. Throughout the years there were the most insane patterns, and it was hilarious to see "bad people" suddenly turn "good people" the moment they said or did a specific action. It was very noticeable in the fake news blogs in Italy, where in the past decade we had prime ministers changing every 5 minutes. The current minister was always illuminati, pro-gay, pro-banks or whatever the fuck, then a couple days after their fall towards a new leader, suddenly it turns out the "righteous leader" was trying to pass a law to save poor people, or ensure Italy would print their own money instead of relying on the EU, and so on. I'll never understand how can anybody look at those "news" sources seriously, and yet millions of people do, believing such shit.

I had a couple talks about the whole Trump situation with a member of my family. After the Barr report, he thought Trump was declared innocent, so I had to fill him on the reality of the situation. He still went on to say that nothing matters until he is in prison, until then he may as well be innocent. This would be an agreeable point of view: not jumping to conclusions, not just believing anonymous sources (even if by reputable journalists), waiting for an official verdict. Except this is also a person who believes in stuff like chemtrails, 9/11 inside job, HAARP causing earthquakes, the Soros plan, the ethnic cleansing against white people in Europe and so on. Stuff that hasn't a single verified or reliable source. It's interesting how facts and official sources only matter when their idols are touched.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
It's all part of the Trump playbook, the one that's just wrecking your democracy.

Everything is true AND false at the same time.

It's a fake report that exonerates me because it's a brilliant report that's written by Democrat saboteurs that leaves them looking really stupid.

See also:

It's a rigged election which is why I won which is why I am investigating the fraud which is why I am not investigating the fraud which is why I didn't not win.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lawfare put out a very good analysis:

https://www.lawfareblog.com/what-mueller-found-russia-and-obstruction-first-analysis

Below is an excerpt that perfectly encapsulates why anyone suggesting Mueller concluded he didn't have enough evidence for obstruction is wrong:

The report identifies and analyzes ten episodes of concern in the obstruction investigation.

1. conduct involving then-FBI Director Comey and Michael Flynn;
2. the president's reaction to the continuing Russia investigation;
3. the president's termination of Comey;
4. the appointment of a special counsel and efforts to remove him;
5. efforts to curtail the special counsel's investigation;
6. efforts to prevent public disclosure of evidence;
7. further efforts to have the attorney general take control of the investigation;
8. efforts to have White House Counsel Don McGahn deny that the president had ordered him to have the special counsel removed;
9. conduct toward Flynn, Manafort, and a redacted individual (likely Roger Stone); and
10. conduct involving Michael Cohen.

Each episode includes a detailed set of factual findings and then analyzes how the evidence maps onto the criminal charge of obstruction, which requires (1) an obstructive act; (2) a nexus with an official proceeding; and (3) a corrupt intent. We have summarized all of the episodes and Mueller's analysis of them under the obstruction statutes here.

For present purposes, the critical point is that in six of these episodes, the special counsel's office suggests that all of the elements of obstruction are satisfied: Trump's conduct regarding the investigation into Michael Flynn, his firing of Comey, his efforts to remove Mueller and then to curtail Mueller's investigation, his campaign to have Sessions take back control over the investigation and an order he gave to White House Counsel Don McGahn to both lie to the press about Trump's past attempt to fire Mueller and create a false record "for our files." In the cases of Comey's firing, Trump's effort to fire Mueller and then push McGahn to lie about it, and Trump's effort to curtail the scope of the investigation, Mueller describes "substantial" evidence that Trump intended to obstruct justice. Only in one instance—concerning Trump's effort to prevent the release of emails regarding the Trump Tower meeting—does the special counsel seem to feel that none of the three elements of the obstruction offense were met. It is not entirely clear how Mueller would apply his overarching factual considerations, discussed above, to the specific cases, but he does seem to be saying that the evidence of obstruction in a number of these incidents is strong.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017

Well not quite.

The report states that it can't answer that question currently due to OLC guidelines. Because of the position Trump holds any criminal charges sought against Trump cannot supersede the constitutional responsibilities of Congress to determine if impeachment is necessary. However, when Trump is no longer president the things outlined in the Mueller Report could be sought after in a court of law. The problem Mueller faced was to outright say Trump committed a crime would have necessitated an indictment against Trump which currently he can't do per the DOJ.

Impeachment has and always will be the only thing Congress has power to do. The rest of what you said about how unlikely it is for Trump to be seen as guilty of obstruction in the eyes of Senate Republicans is dead on though. Even if a handful of Republican senators defected it still wouldn't be enough.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
It's comical that seemingly all of Trump's problems here were self-inflicted. I accept that he benefited and wanted to benefit from foreign influence, but there was no direct collusion. All of the lies and obstruction were to cover for something he didn't do anyway. If he had let the investigation run its course and been open about it he'd have had the "total exoneration" he claimed. Instead, his fragile ego couldn't deal with anyone questioning his victory or suggesting that he got any votes via Russian influence, so he lied and obstructed over and over, and coerced others into obstructing, and created all of his own problems here, all of which are more serious than the original collusion accusation. However, I think his main concern all along was that an investigation would spread to the financial crimes we all know he has done, and that's what really prompted his, "I'm fucked", response.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trumpsname calling skills are slipping.

For being exonerated he sure has a temper today!

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
Well not quite.

The report states that it can't answer that question currently due to OLC guidelines. Because of the position Trump holds any criminal charges sought against Trump cannot supersede the constitutional responsibilities of Congress to determine if impeachment is necessary. However, when Trump is no longer president the things outlined in the Mueller Report could be sought after in a court of law. The problem Mueller faced was to outright say Trump committed a crime would have necessitated an indictment against Trump which currently he can't do per the DOJ.

Impeachment has and always will be the only thing Congress has power to do. The rest of what you said about how unlikely it is for Trump to be seen as guilty of obstruction in the eyes of Senate Republicans is dead on though. Even if a handful of Republican senators defected it still wouldn't be enough.
I like your thinking in the posts I have read from you. You are seeing the things as I do. Keep up the good work.

That's not what the report concludes, so I don't know why you'd accept that.
Yeah, it was always going to be very difficult to prove the sort of direct criminal conspiracy, particularly as none of the people who would have been involved ultimately flipped in a meaningful sense.

The best evidence for such activity, if it occurred, is probably in a fileroom in the Kremlin.

Oct 28, 2017
It's funny that the party of strict morals and law and order is the one to become bereft of either. Nobody in positions of power in his party care enough to do anything about it while Donald Trump sets us back decades.

Things were bad when Obama was in power and Republicans just started running on their xenophobia and racism instead of dog whistles but now it's becoming clear our system of governance is inadequate in dealing with Presidents like Trump.
Trumpsname calling skills are slipping.

For being exonerated he sure has a temper today!

Trumps always operated on the idea if you're not attacking you're losing.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
It's comical that seemingly all of Trump's problems here were self-inflicted. I accept that he benefited and wanted to benefit from foreign influence, but there was no direct collusion. All of the lies and obstruction were to cover for something he didn't do anyway. If he had let the investigation run its course and been open about it he'd have had the "total exoneration" he claimed. Instead, his fragile ego couldn't deal with anyone questioning his victory or suggesting that he got any votes via Russian influence, so he lied and obstructed over and over, and coerced others into obstructing, and created all of his own problems here, all of which are more serious than the original collusion accusation. However, I think his main concern all along was that an investigation would spread to the financial crimes we all know he has done, and that's what really prompted his, "I'm fucked", response.
It also seems he was right because we do know they are investigating financial crimes now. It is hilarious in hindsight that he did completely screw himself over.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
That's not what the report concludes, so I don't know why you'd accept that.
The report states: "Although the investigation established that the Russian government perceived it would benefit from a Trump presidency and worked to secure that outcome, and that the campaign expected it would benefit electorally from information stolen and released through Russian efforts, the investigation did not establish that members of the Trump campaign conspired or coordinated with the Russian government in the election interference activities."

Even *if* some back room deal happened, proving it was always going to be highly unlikely considering the power a wealthy PotuS has to influence witnesses, pay them off, etc.

The biggest issues for Trump in that report are all the obstruction issues, which in hindsight were not needed and were driven by his own fragile ego and fear of the investigation spreading to his finances, which it didn't.

Damerman

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
fragile ego? lol

WHY IS EVERYONE IGNORING THE SDNY INVESTIGATION!? trump is a criminal! he doesn't want ANY investigations because they might bump into the crimes he committed! WHICH THEY DID! the lies and obstruction have NOTHING to do with pride or ego and everything to do with his CRIMES!

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
The report states: "Although the investigation established that the Russian government perceived it would benefit from a Trump presidency and worked to secure that outcome, and that the campaign expected it would benefit electorally from information stolen and released through Russian efforts, the investigation did not establish that members of the Trump campaign conspired or coordinated with the Russian government in the election interference activities."

Even *if* some back room deal happened, proving it was always going to be highly unlikely considering the power a wealthy PotuS has to influence witnesses, pay them off, etc.

The biggest issues for Trump in that report are all the obstruction issues, which in hindsight were not needed and were driven by his own fragile ego and fear of the investigation spreading to his finances, which it didn't.
How do you know it is not spread to his finances. Do you know what these other investigations are for?

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
So who took away baby's phone today? 4 hours ago he made a tweet thread, but then it just suddenly stops mid thread. Is that normal? lol

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!
WHY IS EVERYONE IGNORING THE SDNY INVESTIGATION!? trump is a criminal! he doesn't want ANY investigations because they might bump into the crimes he committed! WHICH THEY DID! the lies and obstruction have NOTHING to do with pride or ego and everything to do with his CRIMES!

I think because, more likely than not, an SDNY indictment only comes after Trump's term ends. Those of us who don't want a criminal to be rewarded with the presidency wouldn't want to wait.

Damerman

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I'm laughing because trump could have lived the rest of his life and gotten away with his financial crimes. but his *successful pursuit of the presidency is what is gonna do him in. Dems should save the impeachment for when the SDNY finish their investigation.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017

The biggest issue thus far anyway.

To me it's very clear that a large portion of the redacted content in the report is in relation to Roger Stone and his relationship with Wikileaks. Cohen has stated that he was in the room when Stone mentioned through speaker phone to inform Trump that Wikileaks was prepared to dump more information regarding Clinton's campaign. This opens up campaign finance issues due to the fact that the campaign was working with a foreign entity. Unfortunately Volume 1 was primarily focused on the issue of conspiracy with Russia. Though it's clear that Wikileaks was acting as an intermediary for the hacked information.

Stone is currently being charged with obstruction, lying to investigators, and witness tampering. I'm interested to see though how much of his relationship with Wikileaks and how they clearly helped, with full knowledge of the campaign, Trump's candidacy is also being examined. I'm certainly no expert but working with a foreign entity knowingly instead of alerting the FEC to those communications seems highly dubious legally.