• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Should people like me just plan ahead to leave this country, especially if Trump gets re-elected? I have my passport book in handy.

I'm 37, African-American & single, by the way.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
How the fuck is half the USA not in the streets over this? I just hope there are still enough adults left somewhere in that joke of a government to stop shit from getting out of hand during the election.

I'll keep saying this every time someone suggests this as some magical solution -until it finally sinks in.

REPUBLICANS 👏
DON'T 👏
CARE 👏
IF 👏
YOU 👏
PROTEST 👏

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
I'll keep saying this every time someone suggests this as some magical solution -until it finally sinks in.

REPUBLICANS 👏
DON'T 👏
CARE 👏
IF 👏
YOU 👏
PROTEST 👏
They would if the protest are organised and hurt the economy. The yellow vests in Paris cost the country billions, that definitively hurt.

It's just not realistic for something similar to happen to the US due to its size.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Republicans don't care if you vote either.

You don't have to tell me to vote in a condescending way either. I'm sick of that shit. I've voted in every election since I was legal and it's been a fucking uphill battle ever since. I do my due dillegence every time even in local elections. But no. Every time there's depressing news every day there's someone in the comments condescending to me telling me I need to vote as if I haven't been doing that for 25 years straight.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
How the fuck is half the USA not in the streets over this? I just hope there are still enough adults left somewhere in that joke of a government to stop shit from getting out of hand during the election.
There's been plenty of protests since Trump was elected. Millions have protested, continue to protest. There were thousands of protests organized across the country in the wake of Trump's impeachment acquittal, just a week or so ago.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
I know it's not popular around here to suggest that they must support whoever the democratic candidate is, be it even Biden, Bloomberg, or Buttigieg, but at this point, if enough people don't find that preferable to the complete implosion of the rule of law that is currently happening.. maybe America does deserve to become an authoritarian state.
All of the people you listed will do nothing to stop America's slide in authoritarianism. A Democratic President who doesn't address the root causes of Trump is just kicking the can down the road to Trump 2.0

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I know Washington is far away for many, but people need to start protesting in front of the Robert F Kennedy building. The White House is a lost cause, but there will be many people in DoJ who are very unhappy with the top brass who can join in on the demonstrations. The signs basically write themselves "The people vs DoJ".

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Should people like me just plan ahead to leave this country, especially if Trump gets re-elected? I have my passport book in handy.

I'm seriously considering it. I have family and roots in Mexico and Canada, so I have some options to go for. My European route is more of a long shot.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada

REPUBLICANS 👏
DON'T 👏
CARE 👏
IF 👏
YOU 👏
PROTEST 👏
They don't care because they don't feel threatened. They're afraid of trumps base. So until the rest of the country is seen as a bigger threat (and far more then just being kicked out of office, some need to rot in jail for their corruption), they will continue to not care. People need to pressure their donors as well.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
They would if the protest are organised and hurt the economy. The yellow vests in Paris cost the country billions, that definitively hurt.

It's just not realistic for something similar to happen to the US due to its size.
The problem is that hurting the economy doesn't hurt them as much as it hurts us. They engineered it to be that way for that very reason.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
You don't have to tell me to vote in a condescending way either. I'm sick of that shit. I've voted in every election since I was legal and it's been a fucking uphill battle ever since. I do my due dillegence every time even in local elections. But no. Every time there's depressing news every day there's someone in the comments condescending to me telling me I need to vote as if I haven't been doing that for 25 years straight.

I think the people telling those losing hope that we shouldn't worry we can just vote are...they have their hearts in the right place but might not be as effected by this shit due to race, socioeconomic status, etc.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it's the victims' fault
Democrats are equally responsible, if not moreso, for not doing anything about gerrymandering when they have the power to do so. A larger proportion of them do not turn out for general elections relative to Republicans.

It's at least in part their fault and until they become responsible and stop being satisfied with their sense of moral superiority, the US will continue its slide.

People get really caught up with x or y candidate will be the one to make the change, but if that change is not dealing with gerrymandering and political polarization, which are worse for America in the long term than any single candidate like Bush or Trump, enjoy more Trumps until the end of time. They are symptoms of a broken system.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
While the scales justice held go round and round, the holes on the whistles no longer make a sound.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Caesar, Pompey and Crassus grew up in a dysfunctional Republic, where the likes of Sulla and Marius broke every rule and law and suffered little consequence. So the trio grew up with little respect for the system and emboldened by Sulla's dictatorship, they also broke every law they could, and when Caesar was backed into a corner by stubborn senators like Cato, he crossed the Rubicon rather than risk arrest, exile or execution, leading to years of civil war. When Augustus ended up winning and consolidating power around himself, creating the seductive illusion of a senate in control of its fate, the aristocrats and plebs were actually glad, they would rather live in a quasi-monarchy than republic simply because Augustus brought peace, stability and prosperity to Rome.

I guess, what I'm trying to say is, Trump is an orange stupid Sulla. And whoever follows him is the one who will destroy the US Republic. Every precedent Trump sets is another nail in the coffin.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017

The problem is that hurting the economy doesn't hurt them as much as it hurts us. They engineered it to be that way for that very reason.

There are already four US states with anti-protest laws, mainly as a response to pipeline protests. The ACLU keeps track of existing laws and proposed bills here:
www.aclu.org

Anti-Protest Bills Around the Country

In response to epic protests around the country, state legislators in nearly 20 states proposed bills in 2017 that would restrict people’s right to protest. The ACLU fought back and many of the bills died or were amended to remove unconstitutional language. For those that passed, we’re hopeful...

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017

I bet the moment the public realizes we're in authoritarianism and plan mass protests because it's clear as day Trump is unhinged and will never be held accountable, not even through weak ass GOP rhetoric, every Republican state is going to push to classify all of them as "economic terrorism." You'll even hear the trash remarks we saw with Occupy, that the goal of the people is to "go get jobs" and not stand up for injustice.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Al Capone, a out of control monster who only got caught because of taxes. That Al Capone...?

Endure..

Yeah we've got a mad king that isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Voting right now is like Homer thinking that pig is still good. They is no law anymore.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not gonna fix anything.

Basically this generations way of burying your head in the sand.
To be honest, shit is just tiring.

I've been contemplating just fucking deleting my Twitter account and stop going there altogether because of the fucking cesspool of human waste it have.

For every single 'common sense' posts, every single fucking one of those, you can see that fucking bubble with a (1) just next to it, and if you dare click 'show replies' you'll see another fucking awful take from a republican talking head/Russian or whatnot. Shit is like automatic. You can try to argue and at some point you're just like giving up, and the fuck you argue with who downplayed everything you said as 'lies from Nancy Pelosi' fucking goes 'So you have nothing?'. Fuck that, man.

Then you have this whole shit about Stone for which everyone just seem powerless to do anything, even fucking congress seems powerless.

I'm Canadian and this shit is driving me nuts, the world ain't in a good place, may it be climate or politics, everything is going down the shitter and the right people can't seem to do anything about it. Reading about it on a daily basis just erodes my mood and mental health.

At this point I'm just wishing for a crushing blue wave comes November and if this doesn't happen in this very specific way, as in a CRUSHING victory, the US are just fucked man, they're fucked.

Last edited:

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
I guess this might be too enshrined in the constitution to be easily changed, but if you look at a lot of other countries in Europe or even Canada, the person in charge of prosecutions is separate from the political leader of the Department of Justice and to varying degrees shielded from direct political influence. Look at the ASAP Rocky case for example where Swedish government were unable to intervene directly even if they wanted to.

Oct 25, 2017
I guess this might be too enshrined in the constitution to be easily changed, but if you look at a lot of other countries in Europe or even Canada, the person in charge of prosecutions is separate from the political leader of the Department of Justice and to varying degrees shielded from direct political influence. Look at the ASAP Rocky case for example where Swedish government were unable to intervene directly even if they wanted to.

I mean. Technically the President isn't supposed to be able to influence the AG but everyone is corrupt as shit and who is going to stop them?

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
This country is heading down a dark path and one I fear is going to get more violent if there is proof of even more ludicrous election tampering.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California

I really think Canada should open up their borders for minorities coming from the US. Who know what Trump and the GOP will do to us once they have full power again.

_ifigured

Oct 29, 2017
I better see all you people at the polls. We need to send these people and their fanbase to the gallows, or rip them apart at the seams, angry mob style.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I really think Canada should open up their borders for minorities coming from the US. Who know what Trump and the GOP will do to us once they have full power again.

They already started with the mexicans. You know whose next on that list, esp with the LAW AND ORDER dog whistles... being 100% of prison populations as it is. THey're going to start a full work program there, and need more bodies. I mean this is going in a historically know direction at this point.

I better see all you people at the polls. We need to send these people and their fanbase to the gallows, or rip them apart at the seams, angry mob style.

So we both know Russia & the GOP are going to do everything to "win" the election. What happens after that? Nothing happening is bolstering my faith in elections, only the midterms, but perhaps that is because trump didn't know how government worked. Need to start thinking about that plan B. I'm not even sure there would be unrest if they "legally" win via corruption.