• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
48% make less than 15 an hour. That is not the middle class.

Yes. And? That wasn't the segment I was referring to:

In reality, the middle class now makes up just over 50 percent of the total U.S. population, according to a recent report from Pew Research Center, which used 2016 data.

Pew defines the middle class as those whose annual household income is two-thirds to double the national median, which was $57,617 as of 2016. By that definition, a middle-income three-person household earns about $45,000 to $135,000. If you're single, a salary of around $26,000 to $78,000 qualifies you as middle-income.

Hence why I said "50+% of Americans are middle class and earn a minimum of $26,000 all the way up to $78,000." Why do you keep referring to self-reporting?

The fact that you posted that 50% of American's are middle class means you don't understand what middle class is.

Or sociologists apparently....

Why indulge this fiction that everyone on ERA, a forum for a hobby centred around expensive electronics, is living on the ragged edge of poverty in some menial job a hair's breadth away from being fired and replaced? Some do, undeniably. A majority? More than the national average? Give over.

Everyone wants change but won't do anything to change.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Hence why I said "50+% of Americans are middle class and earn a minimum of $26,000 all the way up to $78,000." Why do you keep referring to self-reporting?

Why indulge this fiction that everyone on ERA, a forum for a hobby centred around expensive electronics, is living on the ragged edge of poverty in some menial job a hair's breadth away from being fired and replaced? Some do, undeniably. A majority? More than the national average? Give over.

behold the self sacrificing message board poster. if only everyone had the courage to harangue people on the internet that he does, all the world's problems would be solved.

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
As a trans person crippled by mental illness, this has been my basic plan since Trump was elected. Unfortunately, with my boyfriend of four years breaking up with me last month, I've been forced back into a life of extreme poverty, so that every day is a struggle just to remain fed and medicated, with no hope of relief. I'm doomed to die in a country which is rapidly destroying my right to exist.

I'm so sorry, sister. I was recently betrayed by someone who turned my life partner against me, and am now very down and out. You have my empathy.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville

Middle class is not the same as middle income. Middle class is generally about standard of living and wealth, and varies wildly across the US, whereas middle income is strictly looking at income which can result again in wildly different standards of living across the US.

ghostmind

Oct 25, 2017
People in other countries are literally risking their lives to protest and combat injustice and corruption, and Americans won't lift a finger, for fear it might affect their employment or standard of living. Make all the excuses you want, the day of reckoning for the future of the country is coming, or did it already pass you by as you casually complained on message boards and social media?

TeaberryShark

Feb 8, 2019
This is what I've been saying, Twitter/Facebook are a godsend for these crooks. It's like a great big pacifier for the public, get mad go ahead, get on Twitter and make a hashtag trend, get on Facebook and make a complaining post.... it keeps you out of the street and soothes your anger and makes you feel like you did something but nothing happened, no inconvenience, no struggle, no contest... the criminals keep control.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
People in other countries are literally risking their lives to protest and combat injustice and corruption, and Americans won't lift a finger, for fear it might affect their employment or standard of living. Make all the excuses you want, the day of reckoning for the future of the country is coming, or did it already pass you by as you casually complained on message boards and social media?
At the end of the day, most people's lives aren't affected by what the administration is doing. Especially if you are white and don't give a shit about government being corrupt because most people think it's always been corrupt

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She is going to sentence him, probably in the 2-5 years range, and Trump will pardon and shit on the judge. That, or Trump waits till after the election to pardon a whole lot of folks, whether he is leaving or staying. He has like a month in office to screw everything up.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
break this down, what does this mean? Was the motion = the new penalty that they are requesting? House arrest for a week...
Motions for a new trial are routine and they are almost never granted. The motion basically says "You screwed up judge so let's have a brand new trial." You can see why few judges are willing to grant them.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
behold the self sacrificing message board poster. if only everyone had the courage to harangue people on the internet that he does, all the world's problems would be solved.

"well I was going to do something but now you were mean to me I'm going to stay at home and pout". People get defensive when you point out their failings. People are literally posting that their country is being destroyed and then when asked what they're going to do about it they get all bent out of shape and make excuses. You have people pretending they have literally no free time at all.

It really is playing out identically to when you confront someone complaining about their weight about diet and exercise. "I don't have the time", "I can't afford it". I'm just waiting for people to give up hiding behind the first points and move on to "I can only do a little bit and it won't make that much of a difference so I won't do anything at all".

You marvel at how people can just sit by and let this happen? Well you're doing the same.

Middle class is not the same as middle income. Middle class is generally about standard of living and wealth, and varies wildly across the US, whereas middle income is strictly looking at income which can result again in wildly different standards of living across the US.

I'll take the word of professional researchers who do this for a living. Like every first world country the US is a white-collar service economy with a majority middle class. You can't really have the former without the latter. A minority are 1 paycheck away from poverty. A minority get no PTO. People who have those genuine reasons not to protest are the exception, not the rule. It is certainly not something that can be applied wholesale to every American resident posting here. It'd be pretty darn strange for ERA to disproportionately attract the impoverished considering its roots.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"well I was going to do something but now you were mean to me I'm going to stay at home and pout". People get defensive when you point out their failings. People are literally posting that their country is being destroyed and then when asked what they're going to do about it they get all bent out of shape and make excuses. You have people pretending they have literally no free time at all.

It really is playing out identically to when you confront someone complaining about their weight about diet and exercise. "I don't have the time", "I can't afford it". I'm just waiting for people to give up hiding behind the first points and move on to "I can only do a little bit and it won't make that much of a difference so I won't do anything at all".

You marvel at how people can just sit by and let this happen? Well you're doing the same.

no, I don't marvel at all at your smug self righteous wankery that has no purpose but self gratification. Why would I? It's very common.

bitsykibbles

Oct 27, 2017

It's really sad how much this actually factors in for everyone's day to day.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth

I'll take the word of professional researchers who do this for a living. Like every first world country the US is a white-collar service economy with a majority middle class. You can't really have the former without the latter. A minority are 1 paycheck away from poverty. A minority get no PTO. People who have those genuine reasons not to protest are the exception, not the rule. It is certainly not something that can be applied wholesale to every American resident posting here. It'd be pretty darn strange for ERA to disproportionately attract the impoverished considering its roots.
Or you could just harass people to spend a fraction of the effort and do something that actually affects real change, like vote. Protesting isn't going to do shit. There were massive protests after Trump was elected and he's still here and more dangerous than ever. Occupy lasted months and the oligarchs are richer and more powerful than ever. Just fucking vote, assholes.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
We've had multiple protests. More, and larger, during the Trump administration than the previous several, I believe.

Here's a list of what they accomplished:

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Barr 100% tried to intervene with Stone because this was coming. It won't stop Trump from losing his shit about it though.