• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
So many bad takes in here.

Protesting works because its a show of solidarity. It empowers others to standup and do what's right and visual show disapproval and derails official PR efforts.

Economics are not as important as anyone thinks. If the economy turned bad then they'd blame the opposition or immigrants or anyone else. Poor whites don't vote for Trump because of the objective reality of the economy (in fact they are worse off than ever), they vote because he speaks directly to them and appeals to them emotionally (this is true of nearly all voters BTW). The reality of anything is that which you are emotionally invested in.

You don't have to rely on anyone else to do anything. In nearly all cases, real progress is actually made by a few people who have decided to push for it (and the others that come along for the ride). It's not comfortable and nobody should expect it from you but you'd be surprised how far motivation goes. If you can't do it, join a bandwagon.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
If you've got the means, it might not be a bad idea. Will probably want to start researching locations soon, though.
As a trans person crippled by mental illness, this has been my basic plan since Trump was elected. Unfortunately, with my boyfriend of four years breaking up with me last month, I've been forced back into a life of extreme poverty, so that every day is a struggle just to remain fed and medicated, with no hope of relief. I'm doomed to die in a country which is rapidly destroying my right to exist.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So many bad takes in here.

Protesting works because its a show of solidarity. It empowers others to standup and do what's right and visual show disapproval and derails official PR efforts.

Economics are not as important as anyone thinks. If the economy turned bad then they'd blame the opposition or immigrants or anyone else. Poor whites don't vote for Trump because of the objective reality of the economy (in fact they are worse off than ever), they vote because he speaks directly to them and appeals to them emotionally (this is true of nearly all voters BTW). The reality of anything is that which you are emotionally invested in.

You don't have to rely on anyone else to do anything. In nearly all cases, real progress is actually made by a few people who have decided to push for it (and the others that come along for the ride). It's not comfortable and nobody should expect it from you but you'd be surprised how far motivation goes. If you can't do it, join a bandwagon.

in this environment with this specific president- if the economy tanked directly because of visible administration policies, and his 45% simultaneously endured disproportionate harm from the cuts to Medicare, Medicaid, destruction of ACA and elimination of transit infrastructure and increased environmental damage that adversely affected them and through incompetence, resource cuts or actual malice, huge natural disasters- and every single component was a direct instruction, personally and loudly from Trump- he would literally blame Nancy, Hillary, Mitt abd the media and his base - knowing at the reptile brain level that their neck was in the jaws of the beast- would agree with him and vote, even as each vote increased the pressure of fangs on their artery and spine.

psychologists looking at the 20th and 21st century will find multiple instances of Stockholm Syndrome where the captives sought out their hostage takers and delivered themselves into initial bondage.

America, should this prove to be a vacillating spike rather than a permanent trend - will have to do some Herculean lawmaking to plug all the holes revealed in this ship by this flood of ordure.

legislation to give legal teeth to traditions. Constitutional amendments to clarify 18th century assumptions and language. Increased independence for nonpartisan departments like justice and tools to deliver swift action for political malfeasance. Felony charges for even minimal election tampering- from gerrymandering to phone jamming.

Scorched earth on every politician who actively participated in this ongoing assault on the rule of law. Perp marches for folks like Nunes and Giuliani and Barr. Fixes to address gamesmanship in Congress on bullshit techniques to distort the passage of laws and appointments. Terms for Supreme Court judges. Age limits for President that include two term spans.

laws should be named after Trump and his cronies so that their legacy has sharp value every time it is invoked.

pardon power and adminstrative overreach neutered by affirming and defining limits in plain English and connected to federal law. Tax records required for all political candidates without exception.

Basic competency tests administered by independent experts. The president should undergo the same employment scrutiny a Walmart manager endures.

no personal Twitter or direct social media access or account for the President. The channel of communication to the people should be for official business and come from the office, not the person of the president.

caucusing and electoral college reformed by actual representative democracy. Vote by mail in every state. Fact checking on presidential rhetoric and lying to the public a more serious crime than lying to the senate. Statehood or proportional representation for any territory of citizens who are required to pay taxes and abide by federal law.

and finally, the complete elimination of Cincinnati Chili- an affront to god and man and part of the reason we're in this mess to begin with.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
hf3Snln.jpg

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't let these gop tactics work on you, you're not powerless go out and vote these fuckers out of office.
Yeah i mean people know they need to vote, i dont see what continuing to read the shitty news every day does outside of make people miserable.

Do they get two votes if they keep up with Trump's tweets?

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Where? It seems many countries are having a similar authoritarian slide.

Also, as an American, I have no idea how to begin looking for a job or place to live in Europe.

Start researching.

mostly a job lined up, passing tests, getting temp visas... money in the bank... get their health care.

its a huge variety.

Germany seems to open doors for you to come and teach english, or be educated there.

https://www.internationalteflacademy.com/blog/getting-a-work-permit-to-teach-english-in-germany just a random google.

Canada, has a test and some places a french requirement. Its varied, but all doable. Not just if you're rich either. Being american has some perks.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Hmm, I am guessing that Trump is now directing others via Twitter, so he can say there was no formal communication.

_ifigured

Oct 29, 2017
Hmm, I am guessing that Trump is now directing others via Twitter, so he can say there was no formal communication.

courts already ruled that his tweets are official statements. doesn't matter, though. justice in this nation is sitting at the bottom of the bowl overflowing with the diarrhea and vomit of willful corruption propped up by a joke senate.

Oct 28, 2017
Another day another travesty. The only thing that still gets to me is the passive response of the US people. Ya'll have no clue how much you've lost in just a couple of years.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Another day another travesty. The only thing that still gets to me is the passive response of the US people. Ya'll have no clue how much you've lost in just a couple of years.

"Passive" ... buddy, we have no recourse.

The entire executive branch, and half of congress are committed installing a king into the oval office. All we can do is vote, and guess what? Winning the popular vote by millions wasn't even enough.

Don't put this on us.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018

Totally clears the President. Fuck you!

A lot of Americans seem to think they have nothing to lose. "democracy sucks"

The entire executive branch, and half of congress are committed installing a king into the oval office. All we can do is vote, and guess what? Winning the popular vote by millions wasn't even enough.

Don't put this on us.

He's still got insane levels of approval all things considered.

Mar 3, 2019
What in the hell do you think we can do? This smug attitude of superiority helps no one other than making you feel better than americans. We have no political recourse to counter this other than voting, thats literally all we can do. Even then, we voted for Hillary more than Trump, thanks to our EC he won anyway.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
Where? It seems many countries are having a similar authoritarian slide.

Also, as an American, I have no idea how to begin looking for a job or place to live in Europe.

Italy, at first, where my wife is going to get Italian citizenship which will give us the freedom to settle anywhere in the EU. After that, we're not totally sure. Maybe stay there, maybe move to Germany or Netherlands, or possibly Ireland.

I realize not every country is perfect, and all have their right wing crazies, but a country having stuff like universal health care and gun control is reason enough for us.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Don't anyone fucking call the US a democracy again.

Republicans have long been "well, actually"-ing people that say the US is a democracy, instead pointing to the country being a republic (which we all know is actually a democratic-republic), to purposefully diminish the role of the public in the political process. Definitely helped lay the groundwork for all this terribleness and a slide back into an aristocratic-republic.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's going to take a lot. The ruling class has purposely kept everyone else too poor to rise up (if you miss work, you are fired, you can be fired for any reason in most states including political ones (at will states) and if you are fired your family loses health insurance and the ability to eat), 99% of us don't have shit in savings and are one lost paycheck from disaster, so we are literally too poor and unhealthy to protest. We are also too complacent, but the first factors are greater. It's not worth the risk.

This is it right here. You protest for any extended period of time - you're basically signing away your ability to live.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018

Don't put this on us.

This is it right here. You protest for any extended period of time - you're basically signing away your ability to live.

These excuses only go so far. People have PTO and weekends. The US is a middle class society and I would wager is over-represented on ERA due to the nature of gaming & online forums.

Trump's actions directly affect other countries and there's only so much "but it's haaaaarddd" before sympathy runs out.

I've protested Trump and I'm not even American and I'm only in the 30th percentile on my country's income index.

real2

Jan 31, 2019
Don't anyone fucking call the US a democracy again.

This country hasn't been a democracy for a long time. The fact that the minority party controlled all 3 branches of government for 2 years is evidence of that.

The judge is still going to tell Trump to tuck off I hope.

Well considering that Trump will call out the Judge on twitter and his cult followers will make death threats against the Judge/their family, I'm not so sure about that.

This country needs to be reformed badly, but I don't seeing that happen anytime soon, if ever.

Last edited:

powersurge

Nov 2, 2017
Pensacola, FL
These excuses only go so far. People have PTO and weekends. The US is a middle class society and I would wager is over-represented on ERA due to the nature of gaming & online forums.

Trump's actions directly affect other countries and there's only so much "but it's haaaaarddd" before sympathy runs out.

I've protested Trump and I'm not even American and I'm only in the 30th percentile on my country's income index.

Except its not. Huge numbers of Americans work 40 hours a week for less than $9 an hour with either no health insurance or health insurance with such huge deductibles its not usable. How's a 40 hour a week worker making $9 an hour who has to run errands on their day off while fighting chronic health conditions without health care suppose to go out and storm public buildings and protest? They miss a day of work they can't pay the fucking rent.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Except its not. Huge numbers of Americans work 40 hours a week for less than $9 an hour with either no health insurance or health insurance with such huge deductibles its not usable. How's a 40 hour a week worker making $9 an hour who has to run errands on their day off while fighting chronic health conditions without health care suppose to go out and storm public buildings and protest? They miss a day of work they can't pay the fucking rent.

Even greater numbers of Americans earn more than that. 50+% of Americans are middle class and earn a minimum of $26,000 all the way up to $78,000.

www.cnbc.com

Nearly 70% of Americans consider themselves middle-class—here's how many actually are

Far more Americans consider themselves middle-class than technically qualify based on income.

Exactly how many people here do you believe earn less than a middle class income, and have zero PTO, and must spend every hour of free time running errands, all the while managing a debilitating long-term health condition? It's silly to pretend even a plurality occupies that nadir. Exactly what are you doing if all your weekend time needs to be spent running from place to place doing necessary busy work?

Transparent excuses.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico

You saying that people have PTO means you truly don't understand. I've never worked a job that gave me paid time off. Hell my last job demanded you make up any missed time even if you had to work 48 hours straight

Edit:
Even greater numbers of Americans earn more than that. 50+% of Americans are middle class and earn a minimum of $26,000 all the way up to $78,000.

www.cnbc.com

Nearly 70% of Americans consider themselves middle-class—here's how many actually are

Far more Americans consider themselves middle-class than technically qualify based on income.

Exactly how many people here do you believe earn less than a middle class income, and have zero PTO, and must spend every hour of free time running errands, all the while managing a debilitating long-term health condition? It's silly to pretend even a plurality occupies that nadir. Exactly what are you doing if all your weekend time needs to be spent running from place to place doing necessary busy work?

Transparent excuses.
Wait you think middle class means half of the population is there? Oh good lord. Dude 48% of make less than a livable wage (15 dollars an hour) the rest barely make above that until you get to your 1%ers. Self reporting you are middle class is part if the problem. They've convinced most of the population that barely above the poverty line is middle class.

Last edited:

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
American states are huge, how do you concentrate people if you have to travel far to protest. Easier said than done.

I still believe if things did go really bad like King Trump, people would step up.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC

Surely you realize that there's a difference between protesting at the four hour event downtown on a weekend that's planned and organized days/weeks/months ahead of time and the radical, disruptive, long-term protesting that literally shuts down institutions and starts affecting the livelihoods of people in power, right? There's plenty of the former; I live in DC and see and participate in them all the time. The thing is the Trump administration and GOP in general does not give a solitary fuck about these kinds of protests. They can ignore their demands, and guess what, no harm no foul! Those folks protesting are going home at sundown anyway!

The latter is an extremely hard sell for the average American individual. No, people in America largely do not just have "PTO and weekends" to blockade government buildings, get arrested (or worse given our police's penchant for shooting folks and the right's proposed "run over protesters" strategy), and sit in jail and await trial. Almost everyone has healthcare that is tied to their job that they will lose after not showing up to work when their couple days of PTO (if they even have that) runs out. Like half the country is one paycheck away from homelessness. On top of that, the US is pretty damn big and actually getting to DC to do a meaningful disruptive protest is a large hurdle for most of the country.

Also, what does this argument have to do with anything? This is a metric defined by a research association that has little to do with quality of life. I assure you are not living a comfortable, American-dream lifestyle on a $26,000 salary. I know plenty of people making that much who literally have no PTO, set work schedule, or "weekends" at all. But according the Pew, they're living the dream right?

Last edited:

powersurge

Nov 2, 2017
Pensacola, FL

www.cnbc.com

Transparent excuses.

Haha my entire household makes less than $20k a year. Not to mention everyone in my family has either untreated or undertreated chronic health conditions. But you keep believing we are all just rich and lazy pal.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): Antagonizing members over a series of posts; previous infraction for similar behavior
It's like reading excuses to avoid exercising. Apparently no one here has free time or a sliver of disposable income. But hey, just your liberty at stake.

Wait you think middle class means half of the population is there? Oh good lord. Dude 48% of make less than a livable wage (15 dollars an hour) the rest barely make above that until you get to your 1%ers. Self reporting you are middle class is part if the problem. They've convinced most of the population that barely above the poverty line is middle class.

uh, if you had read the article instead of the first half of the headline, then you'd realise it's not relying on self-reporting.

Haha my entire household makes less than $20k a year. Not to mention everyone in my family has either untreated or undertreated chronic health conditions. But you keep believing we are all just rich and lazy pal.

Didn't say no one has low income and/or long-term health conditions, only a minority. That's a pretty stretched reading of a post to turn it into the strawman "everyone is rich but lazy" in order to justify your outrage.

Deleted member 62221

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
It's your right to decide to stay at home, escape from your country or radicalize your actions (it's your life after all) but...
Why do americans always bring their 40 hour week as an excuse? many countries work more and yet they still rebel (in fact, working more than 40 hours is a good motivator for protesting, it happened here in Chile). The idea of having to wait for a free day to riot is kinda funny.

Frankly, for me the situation is pretty clear: Resetera is not America. You may be losing your shit (and with good reason) but most americans aren't. Like someone said, Trump's approval is still too high. I guess as long as the economy doesn't tank people don't give a shit about the rule of law because is something too abstract and remote for them.

Americans can vote from foreign countries, right?

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Man I feel sorry for whoever wins the democratic nomination. That shit is going to be disgusting.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
It's like reading excuses to avoid exercising. Apparently no one here has free time or a sliver of disposable income. But hey, just your liberty at stake.

uh, if you had read the article instead of the first half of the headline, then you'd realize it's not relying on self-reporting.

Didn't say no one has low income and/or long-term health conditions, only a minority. That's a pretty stretched reading of a post to turn it into the strawman "everyone is rich but lazy" in order to justify your outrage.

48% make less than 15 an hour. That is not the middle class. The problem is self-reporting, and how reporters use the term middle class. It's supposed to mean a comfortable life, the smidgen of folks between poor and rich. The fact that you posted that 50% of American's are middle class means you don't understand what middle class is.

Here you go:
www.cnbc.com

This map shows how much money you need to earn to get by in every US state

Using MIT's living wage calculator, CNBC Make It mapped out the minimum amount a family of three must earn to meet their basic needs without relying on outside help in every U.S. state.

This is how much a person has to earn in each state, on average, to make a living wage.

That's according to updated data from MIT's living wage calculator, which determines the minimum amount necessary to meet basic needs without dipping into poverty or relying on outside help

Thinking that most Americans are just too lazy to protest is bullshit. We are stuck. We are minorities, we can lose our jobs for any reason, and we don't fucking get PTO. We work minimum wage jobs and barely squeak by. Protesting would require traveling, possibly thousands of miles, to where it would freaking matter and taking time off work, which could literally drive you into poverty.

Nope, we are just lazy. FOH with that.