• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bob_arctor

Oct 25, 2017
Watched yesterday ERA, and have I questions. Would you kindly answer them?

1. Why DC puts Wonder Woman and Aquaman, both demigods, like negligents beings? I mean I guess Wonder Woman had a bad case of broken heart for 100 hundred years but whats up with Aquaman? Why not helping like the whole world instead of drinking and being a dick?
  2. Is the baddies smell fear why they didn't smell the fear in The Flash? The Flash is constantly saying he is not prepared for the gig.
  3. Now everybody knows Superman identity? Like the whole world?
  4. Justice League isn't the Justice League with out Green Lantern, imma right?
  5. Is my impression or Superman and Wonder Woman are like over-kill?. The are too powerful
  6. First draft pick of Lex is beak as fuck. Deathstroke?
1) Aquaman talked with Mera about his decision to go it alone.
2) Maybe they did. But maybe his metabolism burns off any trace instantaneously.
3) No.
4) I'd love a Lantern.
5) They are big power threats, yes, but not overkill.
6) You should read about Deathstroke. He is no fucking joke.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio

1. Why DC puts Wonder Woman and Aquaman, both demigods, like negligents beings? I mean I guess Wonder Woman had a bad case of broken heart for 100 hundred years but whats up with Aquaman? Why not helping like the whole world instead of drinking and being a dick?
  2. Is the baddies smell fear why they didn't smell the fear in The Flash? The Flash is constantly saying he is not prepared for the gig.
  5. Is my impression or Superman and Wonder Woman are like over-kill?. The are too powerful
I agree with the Aquaman one. I would've like to get a better back story on him other than he's pissed off that his mom abandoned him. And then the sudden revelation that she gave him up for his own good makes it all ok and he's ready to join the team. They should have developed that a bit more.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

1. Dudebro tested better?
2. lul cuz they saw IT make a bajillion dollars and having mindless slave butterflies was too mcuh
3. idk w/e
4. imho this is not justice league, this is WB want fast money
5. It takes a lot of work to do proper physics. If you just make them OP like this it's easier to do VFX
6. Darkseid/Aries/Starro/Hawkman/Gordanian too much
Braniac/Harley would have been good
Black Manta/Joker/Deadshot average

Honestly, DC fanboys would have gobbled anything up except for maybe Sinestro or Rope Guy

labx

Oct 25, 2017
Medellín, Colombia
1) Aquaman talked with Mera about his decision to go it alone.
2) Maybe they did. But maybe his metabolism burns off any trace instantaneously.
3) No.
4) I'd love a Lantern.
5) They are big power threats, yes, but not overkill.
6) You should read about Deathstroke. He is no fucking joke.

I have, I Have, but in context, isn't he under the league (no pun intended) of 3 demigods? He is OP as fuck, don't get me wrong and he is the perfect villain to Batman, Flash, etc. But the others? The problem is that DC put way high Wonder Woman, Superman and Aquaman, literally Superman punch the fuck up Steppenwolf and then freeze him.

Maybe a good counter to the JL would be Cyborg working with Lex Luthor? Maybe? Or maybe in the last credit scene of the publication, Lex Luthor is summoning the entire suicide squad ... that would have been rad

bob_arctor

Oct 25, 2017
I have, I Have, but in context, isn't he under the league (no pun intended) of 3 demigods? He is OP as fuck, don't get me wrong and he is the perfect villain to Batman, Flash, etc. But the others? The problem is that DC put way high Wonder Woman, Superman and Aquaman, literally Superman punch the fuck up Steppenwolf and then freeze him.

Maybe a good counter to the JL would be Cyborg working with Lex Luthor? Maybe? Or maybe in the last credit scene of the publication, Lex Luthor is summoning the entire suicide squad ... that would have been rad

Deathstroke once appeared in a story where Darkseid wanted to marry Dark Phoenix. It's fine, they'll bring a good mix of villains/power levels.

larrybud

Oct 25, 2017
affleck was gut-churningly bad in this. His batman is uninterested and uninteresting. there have got to be a thousand other actors with chops and passion who could bring fire to this role. shame.

aquaman was pretty cool, but we only got glimpses. the scene with him and the truth lasso was one of the film's few bright spots. gadot was good, and cavill did OK.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
So now that I've had a day to sit on the movie, I still really dislike it.

Going on a character by character basis, since there's a lot to digest here

Superman: I genuinely feel bad for Cavill here, as it seems likely that him being tied to a third disappointment spells doom for his continued tenure as Superman. I've been down on him for the past four years because he's really never risen to the heights of what I'd expect out of the hero. And yet, for all this films many many flaws, for a brief few moments, we get a glimpse of Cavill being a wonderful Superman. I don't want this movie to succeed, because it doesn't deserve it. But Cavill absolutely does deserve one more shot in a film from an actual competent director.

Batman: Conversely, I've been on board with Affleck as Batman ever since he was announced for the role and have been willing to chalk his lacking performance in BvS and SS to bad direction. That's almost certainly still the case here, but we're now three films in with Batfleck and he still hasn't really come into his own in the role. I hope he sticks around long enough to still be Batman in Reeves' film so we can see how he can do under somebody better, but it honestly feels like it's too late with him and he's already got his foot out the door.

Wonder Woman: The timing of this film in relation to her solo film meant that this film very clearly didn't expect her to become a breakout character with film audiences. It feels like WW has very little to really do here and parts of the film honestly seem like they are trying to take her down a peg compared to the other heroes, namely her getting singled out for being "inactive" when the film goes out of its way to explain that fucking Aquaman was doing anonymous heroics. It's also clear that WW especially needs somebody like Jenkins who actually gets the character to really make her shine. Snyder and Whedon both fail spectacularly with her.

Flash: Ezra Miller is fine as the Flash, though I think a lot more of his jokes fall flat than they hit the mark. And while I am fine with Miller as the Flash going forward, it is a bit unfortunate that, comparatively speaking, he doesn't own the character as well as Grant Gustin does in the TV show. Seems kind of a mark against the DCEU if the fucking CW is doing it better.

Aquaman: Again, Jason Mamoa is fine here. Not great, but fine. The way he plays his character really feels a lot like he's making up for lost ground when he turned down the role of Drax in GotG. Also it feels like some of his humor fell flat. The worst example of course being the very obvious case of both Whedon and Snyder competing to put in "HE TALKS TO FISH LOL" jokes.

Cyborg: I feel sorry for Ray Fisher most of all. He was given a character whose only real pop culture presence is an infinitely cheerful and fun guy and told to being a sour, mopey, and infinitely unfun guy. I can't really say if Fisher really has that much potential here, because the film never really gives him an opportunity to do so.
And what's with that weak ass booyah at the end?

Steppenwolf: Well, at least Thewlis isn't the actor most egregiously wasted on a bad cg video game final boss this year. There's nothing good about this character and he's even more embarrassing when you consider there's another film in theaters right now that also pulls on Jack Kirby's whole gods thing and does it so much more gracefully. I do not have high hopes for Darkseid if this franchise ever makes it to that point. Poor Ciaran Hinds.

Alfred: Irons does a fine job as Alfred again, but he's given so little here and what he's given isn't great.

Jim Gordon: JK Simmons is wasted. I get that they wanted to go ahead and have him do *something* while they have him in waiting for the actual Batman movie, but he just barely has more presence than the basically non-existent version of Gordon from the 90's movies.

Lois Lane & MARTHA: I'm going to do a twofer here, because they basically equate to a single character's worth of stuff in this film. You can tell Lois had a ton of cut scenes, and it feels like MARTHA'S only purpose in this movie is to establish a dumb Batman is Rich joke for the end. Lois conveniently being driven to the site of Crazy Superman's rampage was so dumb.

Henry Allen: Cruddup is wasted on yet another role the CW handled vastly better.

Nera: I forgot Amber Heard was in this movie. Apparently so did the directors.

On the group level, I think what's really unfortunate here is that nobody really ends up having all that much chemistry with each other, both within the JL itself and with each character and their supporting cast. One exception aside, none of the League really pairs off well with each other to make things feel like a team beyond weak attempts at quipping. Supes only barely gets time to interact with Lois and MARTHA for us to really get a feel for how they play with each other. Batman and Gordon undersell the hell out of a 20 year semi-partnership, and Batman and Alfred isn't really much better this time around. Aquaman technically gets Mera, but he has more chemistry than the no-name fishermen he protects. Cyborg and Miles Dyson get a basic but muddied parental/child relationship. Wonder Woman gets nobody. The only real exception is Supes and Flash having two really great moments with each other, which are incidentally the two highest points in the movie. Otherwise, nobody really gets to play off each other. For all the flaws that are inherent in Marvel's movies, this is something they nailed right out the door with its team-focused movies.

I don't really think I can say more about the special effects than can already be said. The CG work in this film was atrocious, and the film in general just looked awful. The script was also really poor overall and the film honestly comes off looking a little worse for rehashing the evil villain plot from Man of Steel, both because of the reuse and because the final fight is just so bland in comparison to MoS.

But, again, props to the two Flash and Superman scenes. Crazy Superman fighting off a terrified Flash was a great moment, and them working together to save people at the end was a wonderful moment that finally gave Cavill the chance to be the Superman he's been denied for years.

Overall, it's not the dumpster fire SS was or the mess BvS was, but it's just a boring film that wastes so many good characters and actors.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
affleck was gut-churningly bad in this. His batman is uninterested and uninteresting. there have got to be a thousand other actors with chops and passion who could bring fire to this role. shame.

aquaman was pretty cool, but we only got glimpses. the scene with him and the truth lasso was one of the film's few bright spots. gadot was good, and cavill did OK.
The bright spot was when Aquaman turns out to be a sexist?

Playco Armboy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Mera's conversation with Aquaman was so bad.

Arthur: "Are you okay?"
Mera: *starts firing off a bunch of exposition about Aquaman's past and family troubles like she's reading off a Wikipedia entry*

No one talks like that in real life, Snyder.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Don't remember? Aquaman's only comment towards Wonder Woman: "You're gorgeous, fierce, and strong". He's coming on to her.

None of the male characters get such objectifying remarks about their looks from people who aren't their significant others. Even when Superman and Aquaman's are shirtless, there isn't anyone admiring or commenting on their looks. Then there is the moment where Flash falls on Wonder Woman's breasts as an accident, like right out of a goddamn anime. Alfred makes stupid remarks like "I'm sure you are ;)" when Bruce says he's only interested in Wonder Woman's skillset, and when she goes to meet Cyborg he says, "Looks like you have a date, Ms Prince. About time someone here did". Then there are the Bay-ish butt shots. Going from empowering in her own film directed by a woman to such a sexist portrayal in a film directed by males, it's a disappointment.

larrybud

Oct 25, 2017
Don't remember? Aquaman's only comment towards Wonder Woman: "You're gorgeous, fierce, and strong". He's coming on to her.

None of the male characters get such objectifying remarks about their looks from people who aren't their significant others. Even when Superman and Aquaman's are shirtless, there isn't anyone admiring or commenting on their looks. Then there is the moment where Flash falls on Wonder Woman's breasts as an accident, like right out of a goddamn anime. Alfred makes stupid remarks like "I'm sure you are ;)" when Bruce says he's only interested in Wonder Woman's skillset, and when she goes to meet Cyborg he says, "Looks like you have a date, Ms Prince. About time someone here did". Then there are the Bay-ish butt shots. Going from empowering in her own film directed by a woman to such a sexist portrayal in a film directed by males, it's a disappointment.

A man finding a woman attractive is sexist? well, I suppose so. cheers friend, and have a good day.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yep, WW was treated like shit by whoever did them scenes

El_Mau

Oct 25, 2017

Telling her she is gorgeous is not that bad IMO, agree with you in everything else, specially all the butt shots.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017

I liked his Batman when he was super serious and kinda fucked up like in BvS. He was a great old Batman who was tired of Gotham's shit. This more lighthearted Batman isn't his strong suit.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
There are a lot of cringe-worthy lines in the film but I think the most hilarious is Superman's childish "I'm a big fan of justice :D".

JJH

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope they use Elfman's Spark or the Flash for the Flashpoint movie. It's my favorite theme outside of Zimmer's MoS.

labx

Oct 25, 2017
Medellín, Colombia
Mera's conversation with Aquaman was so bad.

Arthur: "Are you okay?"
Mera: *starts firing off a bunch of exposition about Aquaman's past and family troubles like she's reading off a Wikipedia entry*

No one talks like that in real life, Snyder.

I have been reading a los if stuff about this film and the whole Aquaman plot was cut off. (Supposedly).

Yes no one talks like that Snyder/Whedon.

And Lets talk about Mera... She is OP as fuck too. Single handle whooping the bad guy.

Oct 28, 2017
WW is very much treated as a sex object in the whole film

I think I disagree. Maybe it was that it seemed comparable to shirtless Clark or base Aquaman or that Gal Godot is already distractingly beautiful or maybe she was a sex symbol but within the context of the story I'm ok with how it played out on screen? I don't know but it seemed OK.

I just so happen to flip past HBO and BvS was at the Superman Doomsday fight and the Death of Superman is handled very well in that movie with all the screen time and soberness it needed. In contrast. Superman's return in Justice League feels so rushed in comparison that it cheapens the moment when he shows up. Maybe the lead up to him showing up on the battlefield betrayed my expectation.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Saw it again, this time with a bigger audience. Not many of the jokes landed.

- Flash annoyed me more.
- I noticed the Wonder Woman buttshots this time (being closer to the screen made it hard to miss).
- They should've had Bruce give Alfred a hug before they flew off for the final mission.

It was still an unexciting, dry movie. ~7.5 / 10, maybe a tiny bit lower.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I disagree. Maybe it was that it seemed comparable to shirtless Clark or base Aquaman or that Gal Godot is already distractingly beautiful or maybe she was a sex symbol but within the context of the story I'm ok with how it played out on screen? I don't know but it seemed OK.

I just so happen to flip past HBO and BvS was at the Superman Doomsday fight and the Death of Superman is handled very well in that movie with all the screen time and soberness it needed. In contrast. Superman's return in Justice League feels so rushed in comparison that it cheapens the moment when he shows up. Maybe the lead up to him showing up on the battlefield betrayed my expectation.
Gal has random butt shots. She is also chatted up by all but one of JL. She has a dude fall on her boobs, even Alfred talks about her. It's weird

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't find Aquaman's talk about Wonder Woman to be at all sexist. He dislikes everyone in the League, but finds Wonder Woman attractive. He doesn't express it crudely, either.

It's 'I don't want to die, I hate all of you, gosh you're beautiful, there's still stuff I want to do... what's on my leg' in short.

In no way does he treat her like a lesser member of the team (and if he did it would probably fit his character, being an asshole and all, but he doesn't anyway). He doesn't belittle her. He fights side by side with her. He follows her lead when she's leading the team. He just admits, in a singular moment, that he finds her beautiful in a string of humorous confessions.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
I hope they use Elfman's Spark or the Flash for the Flashpoint movie. It's my favorite theme outside of Zimmer's MoS.

I think that's the only solid original music Elfman made for this.

Junkie XL has been hit or miss but I really want to hear his JL score. If it's anything like the hope never dies video, it's a shame to have lost it.

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that was really good, and I wasn't really expecting that at all. I've been a sharp critic of Cavill in the past, but he finally gets a chance to play Superman rather than Murderman and he nails it. I just had a big grin on my face during all of those moments. They really nailed the concept of heroism in the movie, I feel. A really pleasant surprise to see this movie land as well as it did after I had been expecting mediocrity.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So, Batman was fighting crime for 20 years but he made no ally beside possibly Robin (dead) and Gordon. so, no oracle, no batgirl, no black canari, etc. ?

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
I like how they chose to show civil disorder post supes in the opening with a guy turning over a fruit stand.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
So, Batman was fighting crime for 20 years but he made no ally beside possibly Robin (dead) and Gordon. so, no oracle, no batgirl, no black canari, etc. ?

I think they're all supposed to exist. This is essentially a Batman pulled from 'The Dark Knight Returns' storyline where he's either driven his allies away ("It's good to see you playing well with others"), or they've died.

I like how they chose to show civil disorder post supes in the opening with a guy turning over a fruit stand.

"No immigrants or fruits!".

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I didn't find Aquaman's talk about Wonder Woman to be at all sexist. He dislikes everyone in the League, but finds Wonder Woman attractive. He doesn't express it crudely, either.

It's 'I don't want to die, I hate all of you, gosh you're beautiful, there's still stuff I want to do... what's on my leg' in short.

In no way does he treat her like a lesser member of the team (and if he did it would probably fit his character, being an asshole and all, but he doesn't anyway). He doesn't belittle her. He fights side by side with her. He follows her lead when she's leading the team. He just admits, in a singular moment, that he finds her beautiful in a string of humorous confessions.
It's sexist cause it's just her whose looks are commented. No other male character is objectified, or their attractiveness isn't mentioned. Like Superman and Aquaman are shirtless for quite a bit, but none of the characters make a comment other than Lois Lane saying her husband smells nice. With how Wonder Woman is treated in the movie along with the other instances (Flash, Alfred, butt shots), his comment fits with the sexism in the movie.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
With that being said, This movie is far better than the critics and parts of ERA would have had me believe. I don't think I have that bad of taste in movies (although it would appear RT disagrees with me on this) but I have this movie at the top of the DCEU.

These takes are always so interesting to me. Like... you've got the critics who disagree, the posters here who disagree, the actual box office performance that disagrees... but I am the one that is right! It's okay to like bad movies. I'd watch The Room for the 24th time instead of most movies... but I get that I'm a weirdo there. I don't think I'm right.