• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

D.A.

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
For a $300 million movie starring widely known superheroes such as Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, and Aquaman all in one place as a team, with Cyborg thrown in because sure, why not? The movie that was supposed to be the DCEU's answer to Marvel's Avengers, only to be beaten by the latest film in what was previously a less popular solo series in the MCU featuring only two members of the latter team? If anything, "disappointment" is putting an outcome like that mildly.

Its called social media engineering. If it put Trump in the whitehouse it sure can sink a film.

Still if it gets good word of mouth it might not drop much by next week.

Playco Armboy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I really don't understand this deified glorification of Snyder by DCEU fans.

I mean, you don't ever see this with MCU or Fox fans. No one is calling the Russo Bros. or James Mangold their 'daddy'. No one is giving Bryan Singer or Alan Taylor untold levels of leeway for producing terribly received, underperforming adaptations of their childhood heroes. No one is pretending James Gunn or Matthew Vaughn are arthouse auteurs fighting the man and Hollywood. Even the way they talk about Snyder's style is oddly embellished. 'Critics don't like Snyder's style' - I don't get it, are shoddy storytelling flow and craftmanship directorial traits unique to Snyder now? Even his flaws, they manage to plaster over in some way with a bizarre form of praise. Right now, they're directing all the blame to Whedon and Warner Bros. - both of whom, admittedly, deserve a significant portion. But the film is at least half of Snyder's.

Caja 117

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw it, I liked BvS, I liked this one way better, could not unsee Clarks cgi mouth. and Supes was well done this time, I really hope thatvthey dont Complete reset DCU and recast Carvill, I think he can do a good Superman if handled by the correct hands.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What happened to Blade Runner 2049 was criminal.

A film that doesn't get to coast by on mediocrity is what I would call justice.
Indeed.

A mediocre movie tanking at the box office is the opposite of criminal. Criminal is Snyder somehow directing three of these fucking things.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, you don't ever see this with MCU or Fox fans. No one is calling the Russo Bros. or James Mangold their 'daddy'. No one is giving Bryan Singer or Alan Taylor untold levels of leeway for producing terribly received, underperforming adaptations of their childhood heroes. No one is pretending James Gunn or Matthew Vaughn are arthouse auteurs fighting the man and Hollywood. Even the way they talk about Snyder's style is oddly embellished. 'Critics don't like Snyder's style' - I don't get it, are shoddy storytelling flow and craftmanship directorial traits unique to Snyder now? Even his flaws, they manage to plaster over in some way with a bizarre form of praise. Right now, they're directing all the blame to Whedon and Warner Bros. - both of whom, admittedly, deserve a significant portion. But the film is at least half of Snyder's.
I'm not blaming Whedon. The movie, as is, is stitched together from reshoots that don't demand anything from the actors or set design or even the cameras. The soundtrack stinks. There is a HIGH probablility, that regardless of your opinion of Snyder, there are scenes that were not reshoots where actors actually act and shots are decently composed and lit, as any film director could do. When I say something seems below Snyder's standards, I mean the shit that's on screen is probably not made by him. So why blame him?

Look at the footage of Cyborg's WWII hologram. It's not the simplistic greenscreen garbage that constitutes JL.

FWIW I liked Dawn of the Dead and Watchmen.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017

I have only seen complains about Snyder around here :P

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly it's my even really a Snyder movie anymore. This thing was reworked by Whedon like crazy

I went to watch BvS despite having like 35% on RT at the time. I am done. In fact, I think that was the last comic book movie I watched in a movie theater lol. At some point I was kinda interested in watching this one out of sheer curiosity to witness the unholy Snyder/Whedon union, but this time I've decided to steer clear of it since even fan reaction is pretty tepid and really nobody has been going to bat for it.

Reading all this bullshit and production/box office woes is probably more entertaining than the movie.

Dancey Dave

Nov 4, 2017
You know I was all about watching this in theaters because I'm a DC fan but hearing people's reactions makes me want to wait for a redbox haha. On one hand I want to support DC content but I also don't want to support shitty movies... hmm...

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
39%...
Ow0kL_f-maxage-0.gif

And no CG mouth required

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
So, it's the opinion of those who didn't go and watch the movie that's more important. People who've seen it are liking it.
Saw it, liked it even less than BvS (extended cut, but still). If SS didn't exist I'd call it my least favorite comic book movie in the last two decades (didn't see any of the FF movies, and I would indeed rate Last Stand and all the Wolverine spinoffs above this)...

ejabx

Oct 25, 2017

I wasn't trying to say there's this grand DCU conspiracy among reviewers, but rather, that everyone loves a dumpster fire, and so the bad reviews will pile on. JL doesn't deserve a 38%. That's harsh. Granted, there's some flaws, but it's competent, fun, and it's a stop-gap for future DCU movies.

Let's use Ultron as an example because it's similar - a stop-gap for Civil War. Here we don't have any real stakes, the protagonist chooses the most convoluted plan ever to destroy mankind (even though at one point he controlled all our nukes), and Hulk has this weird love interest in Black Widow. Whedon even admits it's a mess. But it gets a 75%?

And I've enjoyed a bunch of MCU movies (Thor 2, Guardians, Civil War), but let's be honest - there were some stinkers too. And JL doesn't even compare to the Marvel's worst? I find that strange.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
So, it's the opinion of those who didn't go and watch the movie that's more important. People who've seen it are liking it.
I saw it and it sucked. 3 people clapped in a decently full theater for 2 seconds until they realized everyone else was dead silent. AMA
Its called social media engineering. If it put Trump in the whitehouse it sure can sink a film.

Still if it gets good word of mouth it might not drop much by next week.
I hope I'm reading this wrong and you're not suggesting a conspiracy to get this trash to fail. As for the last bit, I don't see that happening, do you? Gotta have mostly positive reviews/impressions to get good WOM.

Playco Armboy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wasn't trying to say there's this grand DCU conspiracy among reviewers, but rather, that everyone loves a dumpster fire, and so the bad reviews will pile on. JL doesn't deserve a 38%. That's harsh. Granted, there's some flaws, but it's competent, fun, and it's a stop-gap for future DCU movies.

Let's use Ultron as an example because it's similar - a stop-gap for Civil War. Here we don't have any real stakes, the protagonist chooses the most convoluted plan ever to destroy mankind (even though at one point he controlled all our nukes), and Hulk has this weird love interest in Black Widow. Whedon even admits it's a mess. But it gets a 75%?

And I've enjoyed a bunch of MCU movies (Thor 2, Guardians, Civil War), but let's be honest - there were some stinkers too. And JL doesn't even compare to the Marvel's worst? I find that strange.

These are all your opinions.

Why would everyone fall in line with your opinions?

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Whedon's reshoots were painfully obvious, but holy crap I can't imagine how much worse the movie would have been without those scenes. The vast majority of the levity and characterization seemed to be in those scenes, and they made the film better.

I honestly feel that if the movie was 100% Snyder, it would have been worse than the movie we got. No doubt in my mind. The fact that I feel like the DCEU going forward is in better shape than it as post BvS (and pre Wonder Woman), says a lot about What Justice League did right.

My hope is that now that Johns is in charge, the only place to go now is up.

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Just saw it, I liked BvS, I liked this one way better, could not unsee Clarks cgi mouth. and Supes was well done this time, I really hope thatvthey dont Complete reset DCU and recast Carvill, I think he can do a good Superman if handled by the correct hands.

Yeah, he was my highlight in this film. I so hope we get to see him again soon and he stays in the role for a long time to come (fingers crossed right now that he's set to appear in Shazam at least).

Chikane

Oct 25, 2017
I like it

My only problems were

1 it was to short - i'm just not use to superhero movies being less then 2 hours and 30 minutes
which kinda made it feel like every scene was rushed.

2 Superman is my favorite superhero ever - but boy did he get the short end of the stick on this one... What the fuck did he do again?

Oct 25, 2017
In retrospect, having Superman died really made me feel his absence and appreciated him more when he returned. Still, BvS was too convoluted...

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Wow Paramount comes off like a bunch of assholes in that story.

Not sure I agree. Cavill was on "loan" to WB for reshoots when he was supposed to be working on MI6. If anything, Paramount did WB a favour. They don't owe WB anything and may not have had to let him go, depending on how the contracts were worded on both sides.

It would make sense they'd prioritize their movie above all else. Even if the CGI beard could be added back (this is such a hilarious subject) Paramount absolutely knew it could look wonky, and they didn't have to say yes.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I need an hour long documentary on the mustache, there are so many unanswered questions

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure I agree. Cavill was on "loan" to WB for reshoots when he was supposed to be working on MI6. If anything, Paramount did WB a favour. They don't owe WB anything and may not have had to let him go, depending on how the contracts were worded on both sides.

It would make sense they'd prioritize their movie above all else. Even if the CGI beard could be added back (this is such a hilarious subject) Paramount absolutely knew it could look wonky, and they didn't have to say yes.
Couldn't they just put a fake one on him? It would look 10x more convincing. Why the fuck were they gonna CGI it in the first place?

Really says all thats wrong with modern Hollywood SFX right there.

OP
OP
Pacote

Pacote

Oct 25, 2017
São Paulo
Couldn't they just put a fake one on him? It would look 10x more convincing. Why the fuck were they gonna CGI it in the first place?

Really says all thats wrong with modern Hollywood SFX right there.

But this was not paramount`s problem to worry about.

They had Calvin on a contract, he grow that mustache FOR their movie... paramount lent him for the re-shots, why would they take the slightly chance that a CGI mustache looks wonky if they already have the real deal?

WB was the one that needed the re-shots, its their problem to deal.

The CGI mustache was an attempt of WB to convince paramount to let Calvin shave it for re-shots.

I totally understand them not wanting this for the reasons I stated above.

FireFistAce

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I dunno

The poor reviews and the very notably apathy with movie going audiences don't really paint a picture of 80% of people seeing it speaking well of it....much less 39% :P

You're talking about critics' reviews but by all accounts, the movie-going audience liked it. RT's audience score is at 86% with an average rating of 4.3/5. And copied from Deadline:

On a bit of an upside, audiences seem to be enjoying Justice League more than critics' 39% Rotten Tomatoes score: CinemaScore crowds gave Justice League a B+, the same as Suicide Squad and an improvement on BvS's 'B'. CinemaScore's audience sentiment jives with what PostTrak saw on Thursday night with a four-out-of-five star score, 85% overall positive and high 69% definite recommend. Females (42%) liked Justice League more than men (58%), giving it an A- to their B+. Under 25 (31%) gave the super friends movie an A-.