• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
You're talking about critics' reviews but by all accounts, the movie-going audience liked it. RT's audience score is at 86% with an average rating of 4.3/5. And copied from Deadline:

On a bit of an upside, audiences seem to be enjoying Justice League more than critics' 39% Rotten Tomatoes score: CinemaScore crowds gave Justice League a B+, the same as Suicide Squad and an improvement on BvS's 'B'. CinemaScore's audience sentiment jives with what PostTrak saw on Thursday night with a four-out-of-five star score, 85% overall positive and high 69% definite recommend. Females (42%) liked Justice League more than men (58%), giving it an A- to their B+. Under 25 (31%) gave the super friends movie an A-.
And yet none of that is translating to ticket sales.

The poor reviews and low sales suggest a lot more about how people are (or, rather, aren't) seeing the film than unreliable voting being stacked by fans.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
A B+ CinemaScore is not good for these kinds of movies.
Of the top 50 highest grossing comic book adaptations, only like 15 got below A-.
Better than Suicide Squad and BvS... is not really saying much.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Why in the hell would you have to create a mustache in CGI in the first place? Are hair and wig makeup artists not a thing in Hollywood anymore?
I think you're misunderstand what happened or maybe I'm misunderstanding your post.

Cavil is doing another movie that requires him to have a stache, Paramount didn't want him to shave it off, so the had to remove it for the JL reshoots.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Shit, just scrolling down the list on the website should tell you that B+ doesn't mean much. Pretty much everything is either an A or B.
Well Mother! got an F.

yykno.jpg

Justice League | Audiences Like It More than Mother!

Deleted member 13131

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't trying to say there's this grand DCU conspiracy among reviewers, but rather, that everyone loves a dumpster fire, and so the bad reviews will pile on. JL doesn't deserve a 38%. That's harsh. Granted, there's some flaws, but it's competent, fun, and it's a stop-gap for future DCU movies.

Let's use Ultron as an example because it's similar - a stop-gap for Civil War. Here we don't have any real stakes, the protagonist chooses the most convoluted plan ever to destroy mankind (even though at one point he controlled all our nukes), and Hulk has this weird love interest in Black Widow. Whedon even admits it's a mess. But it gets a 75%?

And I've enjoyed a bunch of MCU movies (Thor 2, Guardians, Civil War), but let's be honest - there were some stinkers too. And JL doesn't even compare to the Marvel's worst? I find that strange.
It didn't score a 38% (39%, currently). Rather, 39% of reviewers on RT would recommend the film. The average rating is 5.3. Also, since the reviews were embargoed, most of them went up at the same time, it would take behind the scenes coordination and collusion among reviewers to pile on. The embargo went up and the outcome was clear instantly.

I agree Ultron's plot was a bit of mess, but the execution is never as incompetent as we see in BvS and JL - a lot of the action is really well done, and the character work was excellent (though I agree Widow's romance with Banner doesn't work). The party sequence, the entire farmhouse sequence at Hawkeye's place. Vision's final scene with Ultron. Long after I'd forgotten most of the action and plot in the film (which didn't take long), those scenes stayed with me. Which is a lot more than I an say about BvS, and probably JL down the road. I think most critics found the film entertaining despite it's flaws, which kicked it down a few pegs. But not into the egregiously bad territory that BvS occupies.

Old Man Spike

Oct 29, 2017
United States
I think you're misunderstand what happened or maybe I'm misunderstanding your post.

Cavil is doing another movie that requires him to have a stache, Paramount didn't want him to shave it off, so the had to remove it for the JL reshoots.
I think the story out of Paramount was that Cavill had stunts that he couldn't do with a fake beard on. I THINK. I could very easily be wrong.
I get that Paramount didn't want Cavill to shave the 'stache and that's why WB had to go with the modern Caesar Romero. My thing is, that insider info says something about WB footing the bill to give Cavill a CGI beard in exchange for him shaving it off for reshoots but that Paramount wouldn't go for it.

Why would a studio spend $$$$ on expensive digital alteration instead of hiring someone to craft a fake beard? That's gotta be the cheaper and more believable option of the two.

RetroCCN

Oct 26, 2017
While I hated both Man of Steel and Batman v. Superman, I actually really, really enjoyed this. Maybe it's the comic book fan in me willing to overlook its flaws. Or maybe I've become so tired of being disappointed with DC and reading about how awful DC films are that even a slight improvement was enough to win me over. I'm not really sure. Either way, I had a really good time with it despite going into it expecting to hate it.

And hey...Superman. That was definitely my Superman. Not gonna lie. I got emotional.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
I get that Paramount didn't want Cavill to shave the 'stache and that's why WB had to go with the modern Caesar Romero. My thing is, that insider info says something about WB footing the bill to give Cavill a CGI beard in exchange for him shaving it off for reshoots.

Why would a studio spend $$$$ on expensive digital alteration instead of hiring someone to craft a fake beard? That's gotta be the cheaper and more believable option of the two.
Do mean you they should have given him a fake beard in JL?

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
I get that Paramount didn't want Cavill to shave the 'stache and that's why WB had to go with the modern Caesar Romero. My thing is, that insider info says something about WB footing the bill to give Cavill a CGI beard in exchange for him shaving it off for reshoots but that Paramount wouldn't go for it.

You just quoted some one that said that a fake beard is impossible with the stunts. Why would paramount want someone to mess with their movie and potentially have a shitty looking CGI beard? You can only blame WB for this , paramount is in her rights here.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
What was the point of the bank robbery scene other than to remind us that Wonder Woman is a bad ass? Served no point in the story.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
What was the point of the bank robbery scene other than to remind us that Wonder Woman is a bad ass? Served no point in the story.

Yeah, I was trying to figure out how that scene would fit in pre-release.

It ended up just being as presented in the trailers.

In my head, to make sense of it, I assumed it would be a situation that Wonder Woman couldn't completely handle. Like, she'd go to stop the bomb, a gunman would turn his weapon on the hostages, then get pulled up toward the ceiling, and left hanging upside down. Then Batman would show up and be like "We need to talk". To establish the camaraderie, and how WW gets taken to the Batcave.

I'm not sure what purpose the scene served in the film. I guess to show off Wonder Woman's powers? The world's gone mad? It didn't really add anything.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I don't get why WW isn't with Bruce at the start of the movie. They should've been together to make the whole recruiting stuff not seem to wonky. The editing in the first arc was real bad because of this, way too many scenes that just felt dropped in and without any sense of flow.

Last edited:

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What about how there was a Parademon in Gotham for apparently no reason at the beginning?

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
There's probably a version of the script where those robbers were enthralled by Desaad and were meant to create fear in people to feed the Parademons or something along those. That part ends up being cut but they still need to show that WW is a badass so the robbery stayed without the extra context.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
What about how there was a Parademon in Gotham for apparently no reason at the beginning?
Here's what I think.
The parademon was searching for people who knew where the mother box that Star Labs had. Gotham and Metropolis are close enough that it wanders over the river. It smells the crooks fear and got distracted; like me when I'm trying to work and I smell food.

FireFistAce

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
A B+ CinemaScore is not good for these kinds of movies.
Of the top 50 highest grossing comic book adaptations, only like 15 got below A-.
Better than Suicide Squad and BvS... is not really saying much.

Actually, SS held up very well. This is a movie that did not get released in China either. Grossed more than Civil War in Australia too.

FireFistAce

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
And yet none of that is translating to ticket sales.

The poor reviews and low sales suggest a lot more about how people are (or, rather, aren't) seeing the film than unreliable voting being stacked by fans.

We'll know next week how it holds up. I reckon it'll be much better than the BvS drop of 69%. And even then, not sure how low sales relate to quality though. We're talking about people who've seen the movie and all facts point to it being well-received by the public.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
THe Parademon being in Gotham makes perfect sense since they're looking for the Motherbox, however, it doesn't make sense from the point of view of making these guys seem interesting. There's no sense of build up around the Motherboxes, Parademons or Steppenwolf himself. There's no really mystery there, there's no point where they feel like a real threat. It's all happens too fast. It's like the movie is going through the motions, like yeah, you know we have a MacGuffin and you know the bad guy wants it so bla bla bla here's your big CGI fight at the end, whatever.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I was trying to figure out how that scene would fit in pre-release.

It ended up just being as presented in the trailers.

In my head, to make sense of it, I assumed it would be a situation that Wonder Woman couldn't completely handle. Like, she'd go to stop the bomb, a gunman would turn his weapon on the hostages, then get pulled up toward the ceiling, and left hanging upside down. Then Batman would show up and be like "We need to talk". To establish the camaraderie, and how WW gets taken to the Batcave.

I'm not sure what purpose the scene served in the film. I guess to show off Wonder Woman's powers? The world's gone mad? It didn't really add anything.
The dude himself was a wierdo too. He has this 1950's feeling getup and he was talking something about how the modern world was ruined. I genuinely don't know what his deal was. Was it superman related? Was he a Mad Men enthusiast who just wanted to go back to the old ways and WW was the one to beat him up because feminism? What was he?

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
CinemaScore is based on US audiences, as far as I'm aware. Suicide Squad had a roughly 2.4x domestic multiplier, which was not fantastic; given the OW wasn't stratospheric.
I guess if the bar is other bad DC movies then it did better than BvS.
And if JL has the same multiplier, then it will end up with a domestic gross of around $225 million.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If the mustache adding CGI is anything like the mustache removing CGI than Paramount dodged a bullet.

Playco Armboy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It held up very well. The opening week-end to gross multiplier is 2.44 vs Civil War's 2.27. And the latter had even less competition than SS. Compare that to BvS's 1.99 multiplier.

2.44 is not very well. Civil War had poor legs, this isn't news, but how Suicide Squad did was below-average. 2.44 is middle of the road for multipliers.

Also, Angry Birds + X-Men: Apocalypse > Kubo + Don't Breathe

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
We're talking about people who've seen the movie and all facts point to it being well-received by the public.
Again, if it was being well received, a movie featuring three of the most beloved superheroes off all time, one of which was very recently seeing a resurgence in popularity due to her film actually being well received, wouldn't be struggling to break a 100m first domestic weekend when a movie about fucking Thor did it handily in the same month.

And again, there are plenty of people posting in this very thread who have seen it and were not positive about it. Do we just not count in your facts?

FireFistAce

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
2.44 is not very well. Civil War had poor legs, this isn't news, but how Suicide Squad did was below-average. 2.44 is middle of the road for multipliers.

Also, Angry Birds + X-Men: Apocalypse > Kubo + Don't Breathe

What's the average multiplier? I'm sure you've done your research.

Sausage Party did about the same as Angry Birds and X-Men came out on Civil War's 4th week. And I can use other examples - it had better legs than Age of Ultron or Iron Man 3.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like CinemaScores are like video game reviews where everything is graded on the 7-10 scale.

The trick with CinemaScore is it really rates how close your movie hit on audience expectations. Something like Mother! gets an F because audience expected one thing and got another. Another example is It Comes At Night, which was sold as a horror flick, but is more of a thriller. If you sell the film correctly, you're likely to hit in the B range and above. From there it's all about how much you entertained the audience.

What's the average multiplier? I'm sure you've done your research.

Sausage Party did about the same as Angry Birds and X-Men came out on Civil War's 4th week. And I can use other examples - it had better legs than Age of Ultron or Iron Man 3.

To give you a feel for the multiplier (fairly large image):
3AKNU6N.png

Metacritic did some number crunching aiming to show that films with better metascores tend to get higher box office and multipliers.

FWHGOHE.png

Even within WB's DC stuff, it's not great.
m4LZY8X.png

Now some of the major studio films in the superhero genre are really frontloaded and drop off real quick. On the Marvel side, Age of Ultron, Iron Man 3, and Captain America: Civil War were very frontloaded and their legs (and thus multiplier) weren't great. Most of the X-Men films are the same.

Last edited:

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember when BvS was bombing while still in theatres, they were quick to rush out deleted scenes... aka the infamous Lex in the Kryptonian Ship ooze to discover the coming of Steppenwolf and the importance of the 3 Motherboxes

But I think with 2 end credit sequences this is a pipe dream for upcoming story ideas... but I want more stuff to figure out what was going on in between things

They nearly cut out 3/4 of an hour of footage... insanity

FireFistAce

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Again, if it was being well received, a movie featuring three of the most beloved superheroes off all time, one of which was very recently seeing a resurgence in popularity due to her film actually being well received, wouldn't be struggling to break a 100m first domestic weekend when a movie about fucking Thor did it handily in the same month.

And again, there are plenty of people posting in this very thread who have seen it and were not positive about it. Do we just not count in your facts?

Well, it's all about perception isn't it? The media is reporting that the movie is poor. That's what's making the headlines. But you can correlate quality with boxoffice if you wish. We know how that's always the case.

People posting thread - how many people liked it and how many didn't? Those are the facts that would be interesting. Sporadic posts and you pointing to them aren't numbers that we can look at.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
If the mustache adding CGI is anything like the mustache removing CGI than Paramount dodged a bullet.

It wouldn't have been. An insider on r/DCEUleaks confirmed as much.

I imagine it's a bit like removing a background without green-screen, vs. adding a foreground element. A prop moustache could have been used until insufficient, then a CG moustache added where that wouldn't suffice.

It certainly seems less complicated than having to rebuild, at least, a real actor's face between their nose and upper lip.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Well, it's all about perception isn't it? The media is reporting that the movie is poor. That's what's making the headlines. But you can correlate quality with boxoffice if you wish. We know how that's always the case.

People posting thread - how many people liked it and how many didn't? Those are the facts that would be interesting. Sporadic posts and you pointing to them aren't numbers that we can look at.
I'd love to see some numbers on your end. So far we have poor performance and reviews on the side of general audiences being cool toward this film.

If all you have is heavily stacked user scores from MC and IMDB, your point is in trouble (unless you believe more people think the movie is a 10/10 than most of the others combined).