• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
You will LIVE, RBG!!

I'm telling y'all right now: Heaven forbid, but if she doesn't make it to January 21, 2021, there will be NO Supreme Court Justice nominations being considered by the Senate. ZERO.

What? Mitch McConnell has already said that he absolutely would fill a seat if one opened during the election. If she dies, it's happening.

Deleted member 18179

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The amount of civil unrest and protests would be fucking massive if they GOP tries to replace her with a right wing nut. Would be the straw that breaks the camels back.
Really? We'd see a bunch of token resistance and then the Republicans would do whatever they want. Meanwhile everyone would complain on Twitter and then move on.

Mar 9, 2018
17 months. I don't know if we're going to make it.

Maybe this realization will make a lot of you shut up and stop shitting on your own party when there are far more important issues at stake. But I doubt it.
Depends on what you mean. It should be the duty of everyone against the far right to ensure they lose in the next election. But right now, we're in a primary. And it is so important to crap on Joe Biden, precisely because he is invested in lying about the danger Republicans at large pose to everyone. Not good at all.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
I'm telling y'all right now: Heaven forbid, but if she doesn't make it to January 21, 2021, there will be NO Supreme Court Justice nominations being considered by the Senate. ZERO.
what on earth would give you that impression? if any more supreme court seats open under Trump, the republican senate will fill it. installing an ultra-conservative judiciary is the whole reason for their existence and there is literally nothing democrats can do to stop it as long as they hold the presidency and 50 senate seats.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The "rule" that McConnell used to block Garland in the last year of Obama's presidency is completely made up bullshit. He blocked it because he had the Senate majority. There is no legal artifice in the Constitution or on the books preventing a nominee in the last year of a president's term. It was all gentleman's agreement back when it was broadly understood that the two parties traded the big chair.

There is more or less nothing stopping them from immediately replacing RGB unless we literally storm the Capitol and do a sit in. Probably not even then.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those fuckers who "didn't like Hillary" really screwed us for most of our lifetimes. Die in a fucking fire.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope she can hold on, a bile duct stent is in some situations used as a palliative measure when it's not possible to remove the tumor itself.

OP
OP
Realyst

Realyst

Oct 27, 2017
What? If she died tomorrow, they would have a new justice by end of Oct. if she died on Nov 1st, you could bet your ass there would be a new justice by end of year.
What? Mitch McConnell has already said that he absolutely would fill a seat if one opened during the election. If she dies, it's happening.
what on earth would give you that impression? if any more supreme court seats open under Trump, the republican senate will fill it. installing an ultra-conservative judiciary is the whole reason for their existence and there is literally nothing democrats can do to stop it as long as they hold the presidency and 50 senate seats.

I wasn't referring to what McConnell will try to do. He's waited his entire life to change the balance of the Supreme Court. I'm talking about what the PUBLIC will allow. I seriously doubt folks will stand idly by if the Senate allows Trump to have a third seat. Yeah, you're gonna say, "how's this time different from when Trump started the Muslim ban, or locking children in cages?" Having a 6-3 rightward slant will directly impact folks on the left, which will definitely get butts out of seats to protest and disrupt.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Man. This poor woman fighting along because people didn't want to come out and vote.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
She doesn't owe anybody anything.
As a public servant she absolutely does. She is such a public figure BY CHOICE that her health is most certainly not in a bottle and subject to scrutiny.

If she doesn't want to be subject to criticism about how her hubris put the welfare of millions at stake she could've retired. Serving on the highest court in the country ain't like some goddamn pop music career; with power comes responsibility.

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't referring to what McConnell will try to do. He's waited his entire life to change the balance of the Supreme Court. I'm talking about what the PUBLIC will allow. I seriously doubt folks will stand idly by if the Senate allows Trump to have a third seat. Yeah, you're gonna say, "how's this time different from when Trump started the Muslim ban, or locking children in cages?" Having a 6-3 rightward slant will directly impact folks on the left, which will definitely get butts out of seats to protest and disrupt.
Lol what the hell do you think is gonna happen?

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has known many (young) cancer patients and watched as the disease progressed, it's hard to buy the "all is well" statements. First she had surgery on her lungs for cancer, now a few months later she's having "treatment" done for pancreatic cancer. This is just plain not looking good, even without accounting for her age.
This is what I fear.

It's all 'good' until it isn't.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
It can work. Look at Puerto Rico. But obviously it has to be a massive multi state movement.

It won't happen here. The US as a whole is not set up that way. People need to take off of work to protest, and most peoples' healthcare is tied to their employer. Not everyone has the PTO to go protest either, so they're not going to risk getting fired and losing their healthcare. And I've got bad news for you, but even the people who DO have PTO, for the most part...aren't taking it to go protest.

There might be some weekend protests in major cities, and those would go maybe 2 weekends. After that, it will be mostly just strongly worded Facebook posts.

That's basically what happened when we learned that Trump and Crew were putting kids in cages, and something as terrible as that was barely enough to get people out of the house on a weekend.

Not happening. See above for the reason why.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

They'll still sit at home.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As a public servant she absolutely does. She is such a public figure BY CHOICE that her health is most certainly not in a bottle and subject to scrutiny.

If she doesn't want to be subject to criticism about how her hubris put the welfare of millions at stake she could've retired. Serving on the highest court in the country ain't like some goddamn pop music career; with power comes responsibility.

This is exactly why supreme court justices should not have lifetime terms. They should not be pressured to stay or leave because the party of their ideology is in the White House.

They should serve a regular term like other government officials. I don't care what the length is. They can even request a second term and have the senate reconfirm them, but lifetime should not be an option.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has known many (young) cancer patients and watched as the disease progressed, it's hard to buy the "all is well" statements. First she had surgery on her lungs for cancer, now a few months later she's having "treatment" done for pancreatic cancer. This is just plain not looking good, even without accounting for her age.

She was first diagnosed with pancreatic cancer years ago, during Obama's presidency.

Gluka

Oct 25, 2017
17 months. I don't know if we're going to make it.

Maybe this realization will make a lot of you shut up and stop shitting on your own party when there are far more important issues at stake. But I doubt it.
It's almost like we could be shoring up political capital for stacking the courts by delegitimizing this laughably corrupt administration but our House leadership is completely letting us down or something.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
Don't you think democrats ought to do better than just pull up a sign that says "we are not the republican party"?
there are massive differences between the parties and if you can't recognize that the democrats would be immeasurably better on, say, THE SUPREME COURT, you are a moron. i'm sorry. we had a chance to put a left-leaning majority on the court for the first time in decades and blew it and now there's a decent chance it'll end up 6-3 conservative or worse.
Is it okay to admit I am scared shitless?
yes. if you aren't scared shitless, you don't understand the stakes.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Well she was at a public performance of Fiddler on the Roof just last week (Michael Moore of all people brought it up and there are photos of her and the cast) so that's something.

Dec 31, 2017
Hm I'm glad that she has tolerated treatment.

However I'm in the medical field, and a "malignant pancreatic tumor with bile duct stent placement," is a dire scenario for anyone, let alone someone that old.

If the wording used is accurate of course. None of us know the details of her diagnosis other than her physicians, and there are various different types of tumors that affect that region. I hope she hangs in there, but there is a very real scenario she can get seriously sick in the near future.

I'm not saying this to scare anyone, but it's my semi-professional hunch. It is all up to her however, and none of us should expect anything from her in her circumstances.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Hm I'm glad that she has tolerated treatment.

However I'm in the medical field, and a "malignant pancreatic tumor with bile duct stent placement," is a dire scenario for anyone, let alone someone that old.

If the wording used is accurate of course. None of us know the details of her diagnosis other than her physicians, and there are various different types of tumors that affect that region. I hope she hangs in there, but there is a very real scenario she can get seriously sick in the near future.

I'm not saying this to scare anyone, but it's my semi-professional hunch.

Is there any value in her having beaten off pancreatic cancer before? Also WTH is a bile duct stent.