• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 54170

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 25, 2019
Depressing situation all around.

I think it also goes to show how believing/disbelieving accusations are a very complicated business, because I think there wasn't much of a way to distinguish Amber Heard's accusations from other women's when her abuse claims were uncontested. Even though it's a reasonable idea, 'Believe women by default' clearly isn't always accurate.

Believing someone by default is and was never a reasonable idea.

cliffphoenix

Sep 20, 2019
To anybody that has a partner that's even so much as hinted at gaslighting their abuse to you as you abusing them, please leave.

I have a friend that told us this was happening to him, we urged him to leave for months. She ended up accusing him of assault (not legally only publicly) and said he did the things we witnessed her do to him.

luckily, I had the notes and he had the receipts to file a harassment order of protection.

but most abusers don't make it that easy to prove. Some people are really fucked up in this world.

Which of course is certainly not to say don't believe women. We can understand the faults in the justice system and society in general in how survivors of assault rarely receive justice while simultaneously recognizing that although the threat of abusers leveraging the movement is minuscule, it's real.

I feel a lot of us were taken for a ride with this Depp controversy, I know I was.

Jun 17, 2019
I hope that people start to realize that when "me too" was founder, by a WOC no less (and that keeps getting lost in the discussion), she meant it for all genders, not just women, because abuse and harassment doesn't have just one face.

Look at Terry Crews, Brendon Frasier and, crap cant think of his name but he played Mark in Rent. All men who, at first, got side eyed a bit because they are men after they came out with their assault and harrassment. It's not fair that actual abuse victims are left un dangerous situations because they are men. Johnny should be at these conferences if he wants to. Not Amber.

People need to pause and think a moment. Yes listen to the victim that comes out, but it is okay to ask legitimate questions if there are things that are not adding up. It's not being a bad person. The truth is something should be known, and questions help lead to it. It's when people spin those questions into disingenuous aspects that screw things over, but saying, "Hold on, we can hear them out but also they had a previous situation with another person who was attacked by them. Perhaps we should see if there's more to it than what we seeing." Is not bad, its if you're using that to paint a picture for an entire group of people where the problem is.

We really need to stop seeing domestic violence as just a woman issue and allow for men, trans, and same sex partners to have their voices heard. We are not doing anyone any favors by putting our heads in the proverbial sand.

INST

Nov 2, 2017

Guessing this is the take the media and verified Twitterverse is going with. Double down and buckle up.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Dont give this link a click please.

cc595815901452a49e7b19727ba6a2ed.png

Also if you check twitter you can see random accounts posting identical sentences with this article...

Wonder who is hiring bots heh. It's crazy how she is always projecting.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017

Also if you check twitter you can see random accounts posting identical sentences with this article...

This is rich, because Johnny has to defend himself as having had to use just that in the actual audio tapes.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

Oh yes of course, she hit him due to him hitting her 🙄 hard to believe that when in the audio tapes he talks about how she flips out whenever he walks away from her when she has outbursts. Let's see twitter defend people sticking around to get hit.

When he is on recordings saying "we have to step away from each other, either for a hour or a few hours" is the language of someone trying to prevent violence from happening

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Man what the fuck.

This is basically the same shit that happened with Greenpeace in the 80s-90s: People so addicted to "being right" and Fighting the good fight", that they entrench in their positions and stop actually *thinking* whatever they're right or not.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Man what the fuck.

This is basically the same shit that happened with Greenpeace in the 80s-90s: People so addicted to "being right" and Fighting the good fight", that they entrench in their positions and stop actually *thinking* whatever they're right or not.
For some, admitting they were wrong is tantamount to admitting defeat. Everything is win or lose.

Nov 1, 2017
I'm sorry to see that Johnny was dealing with all of this and that his substance abuse is being used against as well since there's way too much stigma aground that. When news of him being an abuser first surfaced I wasn't keen on it being used against him then either as there's already too much stigma around substance abuse. Like with other people I hear stories about, I pause any engagement with their work. I stayed up on it here and there and when I learned of her past abusive behavior and those in his life saying they'd never seen it, I began taking more of a wait and see approach and thought that it was a different kind of toxic relationship and put her in the same bucket. I hope he gets help and support going forward. I hope that she is held to task for piggybacking off of other people's trauma to build herself up.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Then nothing will be said. If there was a Ricky Gervais type up there, then yeah something probably would have been said. But then he would have said a bunch of other foul shit and ruined it

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
The past Depp thread is not funny to look back to. Holy shit the double standards is real.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Please tell me I'm wrong. People got banned over this and there's still posters on here not willing to admit they were wrong.
Sure, there are people on the left that are disingenuous, vindictive and can't own up after they get caught on their wokepoint hunt. But I don't see how anyone else is more owning up to their bullshit either, or how this is some sorft of leftist trademark.
Have you ever heard a Trump supporter say he lied or was wrong about something, or fucked something up? And those people support a far more dangerous and hateful cause than whatever hyperwoke feminists who can't see the forst for the trees support.

Jun 17, 2019
Neither is nominated right? Unless they are presenting. Hope to God they keep them far apart and Depp has his friends around to protect him.

Something in general may be said. But no ones going to stand up there and scream out she's a liar.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Sure, there are people on the left that are disingenuous, vindictive and can't own up after they get caught on their wokepoint hunt. But I don't see how anyone else is more owning up to their bullshit either, or how this is some sorft of leftist trademark.
Have you ever heard a Trump supporter say he lied or was wrong about something, or fucked something up? And those people support a far more dangerous and hateful cause than whatever hyperwoke feminists who can't see the forst for the trees support.
If it got leaked tomorrow that the audio tapes were all spliced together bullshit and his finger almost getting cut off was some buddy in Hollywood doing some FX trickery I would be the first person to say I was wrong. Which is alot more than others are willing to do.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This whole thing is so fucking depressing. Every one of these shit articles are just...infuriating. No one gives a shit about male victims in this country.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Amber was at the Film Independent Spirit Awards today. She was in one of the audience shots during Aubrey Plaza's monologue.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If it got leaked tomorrow that the audio tapes were all spliced together bullshit and his finger almost getting cut off was some buddy in Hollywood doing some FX trickery I would be the first person to say I was wrong. Which is alot more than others are willing to do.
Sure, but those others who aren't willing to do that aren't predominantly represented on the left.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Sure, but those others who aren't willing to do that aren't predominantly represented on the left.
There is like 60-75% participation dip in this thread compared to past threads on the subject ....we will call it the Pre-Audio Tapa Era. That bracket of people don't lean left, they are left. If it wasn't for the small participation of people in this thread this story would have fell off the front page after the first hour. It's a recurring theme that happens on social media at large when the tables turn. So it doesn't just effect the left, but in this case for this discussion that's the make up of the forum here.

There is another trend in this thread I noticed. A lack of participation from Community Resettler Advisors, Verified Users and Mods. When people like that post in a thread it dictates the direction a thread goes. They are influencers here, People who I'm sure were present in past threads on the subject. It's safe to say they appear to be taking the US media approach to the matter. Which is a little dissapointing but it is what it is.

End of the day that's a meta discussion for another day on human behavior on social media forums.

Let's see if Hollywood reacts at all tonight.

INST

Nov 2, 2017
There is another trend in this thread I noticed. A lack of participation from Community Resettler Advisors, Verified Users and Mods. When people like that post in a thread it dictates the direction a thread goes. They are influencers here, People who I'm sure were present in past threads on the subject. It's safe to say they appear to be taking the US media approach to the matter. Which is a little dissapointing but it is what it is.

We had one of those in the previous thread that got locked, was all in on the 'both sides are trash' take and got called out on it. Seeing how outspoken he was a few years back against Depp and those not convinced by the Heard allegations. Got reported but of course the mods did fuck all with it.

So maybe it is better those people stay out, seeing as the direction they want the thread to go was 'fuck Depp'.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
What I don't get is that, I know we can't change the world. If people feel it's a "both sides" situation, we can't convince them otherwise.

Anybody that ever was in an abusive relationship knew instantly what happened after listening to the tapes. (helped by the fact that her case was dismissed with prejudice and all charges dismissed)

But what she has done afterwards ?
When he had never said a word of this and tried to move on, she used a honest platform to make it seem like it was one sided, out of spite and greed, to destroy him and elevate herself.
She has since been posing as a paragon of light and virtue, against domestic violence.

If you don't think this is vile and despicable I don't know what to tell you.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019

Guessing this is the take the media and verified Twitterverse is going with. Double down and buckle up.

Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting.

If you look into her reponses to the people arguing against her article, it's evident she's grasping at straws to defend domestic abuse by women.

This double standard boils my blood.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amber was at the Film Independent Spirit Awards today. She was in one of the audience shots during Aubrey Plaza's monologue.

I wouldn't expect anything to come of this. The court case isn't even starting until August or something and despite the attempts to blow this up, it's still a very personal thing between two people. Hollywood isn't exactly going to start alienating her and even if Depp wins the case, the most that'll happen is a bunch of suits will say they always believed he was innocent and can't wait to work with him again.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
What I don't get is that, I know we can't change the world. If people feel it's a "both sides" situation, we can't convince them otherwise.

Anybody that ever was in an abusive relationship knew instantly what happened after listening to the tapes. (helped by the fact that her case was dismissed with prejudice and all charges dismissed)

But what she has done afterwards ?
When he had never said a word of this and tried to move on, she used a honest platform to make it seem like it was one sided, out of spite and greed, to destroy him and elevate herself.
She has since been posing as a paragon of light and virtue, against domestic violence.

If you don't think this is vile and despicable I don't know what to tell you.
That's what I'm saying, I listened to the tapes and related immediately. The whole walking away until your partner cools off thing? It's the only logical thing to do in those moments. I'll never forget I had this Rastafarian frog ashtray, I loved that thing, had it chucked at my face and smashed against a wall because I didn't want to stick around and fight for the 500th time. I don't understand how techniques and steps used to diffuse high tension situations are not applauded.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't expect anything to come of this. The court case isn't even starting until August or something and despite the attempts to blow this up, it's still a very personal thing between two people. Hollywood isn't exactly going to start alienating her and even if Depp wins the case, the most that'll happen is a bunch of suits will say they always believed he was innocent and can't wait to work with him again.

He was already innocent in the eyes of the law. (charges dropped + case dismissed with prejudice, which means she can't ever refile it)

This is a defamation case, completely different.

And he can also absolutely lose. Proving she abused him doesn't legally mean he didn't abuse her, and she can also claim mental illness + not naming him to get out of it.

As a public figure he has to prove 100% "malicious intent". It's a bit fucked up.

In fact I highly suspect they are trying to make the pressure unbearable for Heard to force her to settle again because they may "lose" but her reputation will be completely destroyed anyway.

This is what she made him sign in the Divorce suit :

SWVKY1dDOEFFRFYxMGJ0M3Q2Y1QucG5n.jpg

Which is why it's "leaking" and not shared officially.

The new suit will not have these clause because Depp refused them this time.

So even if he loses on technicalities, his truth will be out. And like I said above, even if you think "both sides" still apply, her lies and behavior remain unacceptable.

That's what I'm saying, I listened to the tapes and related immediately. The whole walking away until your partner cools off thing? It's the only logical thing to do in those moments. I'll never forget I had this Rastafarian frog ashtray, I loved that thing, had it chucked at my face and smashed against a wall because I didn't want to stick around and fight for the 500th time. I don't understand how techniques and steps used to diffuse high tension situations are not applauded.

It's just ridiculous. And there is something I hadn't caught, she tells him she needs security and she fears abandonment, that's why he said "I thought marrying you would make the fights stop but it got worse".

This is really sad.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The evidence speaks for itself. The more I see the more my heart breaks. The continuing silence is disgusting, a victim has been demonized. I have little faith justice will be found here...

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The evidence speaks for itself. The more I see the more my heart breaks. The continuing silence is disgusting, a victim has been demonized. I have little faith justice will be found here...
Harsh reality is that speaking up for Johnny equals admitting that Believe Women is not 100% infallible.

The thing is it was never meant to be infallible. We've twisted it into "oh you don't believe every single woman at their word? oof! yikes! sus! side eye!". But that's never what it was meant to be. You can believe women while still acknowledging that the man should have the opportunity to defend himself and prove his side.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Harsh reality is that speaking up for Johnny equals admitting that Believe Women is not 100% infallible.

The thing is it was never meant to be infallible. We've twisted it into "oh you don't believe every single woman at their word? oof! yikes! sus! side eye!". But that's never what it was meant to be. You can believe women while still acknowledging that the man should have the opportunity to defend himself and prove his side.
I agree, as I said earlier ITT.

Looking online it really does seem that most people are behind Johnny now with only a core group hunkering down. I think the media don't chase it because their is no value to them to do so right now, I hope what appears to be a trend of support for Johnny grows to the point they see that value and act.

Ofc, I would prefer they just GOT the value without the incentive, but male abuse victims being dismissed is still a huge thing.

This entire thing is shameful.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017

Tbh if you look at her IMDB doesn't look like she's working much. So it's probably started well before we the public were aware of these tapes.

Her only newly announced project is Aquaman 2 for 2022 and she can easily be removed from that.

And after those tapes, a producer will look at her and probably say do I want the press run for this movie to be focused on her potentially being an abuser.

So she won't be 'blackballed' per se but less people who makes the decisions will want to work with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.