• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Canada will grant asylum to a Saudi woman who fled alleged abuse from her family and has spent nearly a week barricaded in a Bangkok hotel room, says Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

The prime minister was asked about whether Canada would accept Rahaf Mohammed al-Qunun, 18, as a refugee during a media availability in Regina on Friday.

"The [UN High Commissioner for Refugees] has made a request of Canada that we accept Ms. al-Qunun as a refugee and we have accepted the UN's request that we grant her asylum," he told reporters.

The young woman's story made international headlines after she was stopped at a Bangkok airport on Saturday by Thai immigration police, denied entry and had her passport seized.

She then barricaded herself in an airport hotel room and launched a social media campaign on Twitter, which drew enough support to convince Thai officials to admit her temporarily under the protection of UN officials.

The UNHCR eventually granted her refugee status on Wednesday and several countries, including Canada and Australia, had been in talks with the United Nations refugee agency to accept her.

Thailand's immigration chief told reporters earlier on Friday that she's already on her way to Toronto.

"Canada has granted her asylum," Surachate Hakpark told Reuters. "She'll leave tonight at 11:15 p.m.," which is 11:15 a.m. ET.

"Refugee protection today is often under threat and cannot always be assured, but in this instance international refugee law and overriding values of humanity have prevailed," UN High Commissioner for Refugees Filippo Grandi said in a statement.

The statement said the "fast-track" mechanism that allowed for al-Qunun to come to Canada so quickly "is available only to a fraction of the world's 25.4 million refugees, typically those at greatest risk, such as women at risk."

Activists say similar cases go unreported

Al-Qunun's case has highlighted the cause of women's rights in Saudi Arabia. Several female Saudis fleeing abuse by their families have been caught trying to seek asylum abroad in recent years and returned home. Human rights activists say many similar cases have gone unreported.

In recent weeks Canada has issued sanctions against 17 Saudis linked to the killing of dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi inside Saudi Arabia's consulate in Istanbul, Turkey and is reviewing its deal to supply light armoured vehicles to the kingdom. Before that, Canada and Saudi Arabia were engaged in a diplomatic spat over a federal government tweet criticizing a Saudi civil rights crackdown, prompting the kingdom to expel Canada's ambassador and ordering their citizens studying in Canada to leave.

Canada's former ambassador to Saudi Arabia Dennis Horak, who was the one expelled this summer during the tweet firestorm, told CBC News that the Saudi government won't be thrilled with this news.

"Some in Saudi Arabia will say it is interference in a family matter," he said. "It is not going to help the Canada-Saudi relationship but it is absolutely the right thing to do."

Felt the announcement deserved its own thread, from the prior one specifically related the pressure the Canadian government applied to Thailand not to deport this young lady.

Really happy for her. Welcome to the North

Also:

When asked if bringing al-Qunun to Canada could further inflame tensions with Saudi Arabia, Trudeau would only say Canada is standing up for human rights.

Absolutely zero fucks given by Trudeau.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/canada-saudi-woman-asylum-alleged-abuse-1.4974344

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
May not be a perfect country, but things like this definitely stir my patriotism. More importantly, I'm happy she gets to escape from that hell. Kudos to everyone involved in helping her out.

Protein

Oct 27, 2017
I feel that Canadian citizens should leave Saudi Arabia asap or risk being abducted by their government. The sooner the world distances itself from Saudi Arabia, the better.

msboo001

Oct 25, 2017
Between seemingly being the own country to stand up to the Saudis and the important trade deals with Europe and Asia, Trudeau (and Freeland) have done a great job on the foreign affairs front. Great news for the young women.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I guess trudeau needed some good press after the pipeline fiasco... still it is a great thing to do but accepting one refugee with good reason is not that much to ask not sure why other countries couldn't do the same (pressure from SA?)

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Fantastic.

Absolutely pathetic when nobody backed Canada up when they criticised Saudi mistreatment of women's rights activists. I'm ashamed my country didn't say anything.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Good on Canada. A great thing to have happened and it's great to see Trudeau doing the right thing. I wish other world leaders could do the same.

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017

Freeland greeting her at the airport is a particular middle finger to the Saudis, given recent events.

Yeah, I like to think that it being Freeland and not Trudeau, was a strategic "Go Fuck Yourself KSA" choice.

That plus, the poor girl is arriving after a long and harrowing journey. Her meeting Trudeau at the airport would probably be too much for her. lol

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Can't wait to get to Toronto in a few months. I hope to meet her out. Let her know how much of a hero that she really is.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Great news, welcome to Canada Rahaf!

Those replies to her tweets.... ugh I hope most of those are Russian bots or something.

Oh man, I don't want to see her when her smile drops as soon as she steps outside Pearson Airport in Toronto to -15c.
lmao. She's apparently not wearing pants on that pic too. I hope someone provides her with warm clothes ASAP xD

Kyzir

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kuwait
User Banned (permanent): victim blaming, downplaying abuse, and conspiracy theories
Rahaf as in short story:

She was a spoiled kid who was on a vacation with her family in Kuwait and got somehow fleed to Thailand as a challenge between her friends (there are snap conversations for this).
Her family is wealthy, she even had leaked snaps with her boyfriend in her house, I don't know what abuse they're talking about?
I followed her alias on Twitter before this happened, she turned to an atheist before telling her real name to the public after this story.
It now becomes a political issue between Saudi-Arabia vs Canada and human rights, this went too far.

morals of her story: don't spoil your kids too much.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Rahaf as in short story:

She was a spoiled kid who was on a vacation with her family in Kuwait and got somehow fleed to Thailand as a challenge between her friends (there are snap conversations for this).
Her family is wealthy, she even had leaked snaps with her boyfriend in her house, I don't know what abuse they're talking about?
I followed her alias on Twitter before this happened, she turned to an atheist before telling her real name to the public after this story.
It now becomes a political issue between Saudi-Arabia vs Canada and human rights, this went too far.

Citation needed. Because that sounds like an awful lot of bullshit.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Rahaf as in short story:

ok

Oct 25, 2017
canada
Still selling weapons tho

I wasnt always a fan of Freeland but shes got the biggest balls in Ottawa. I really hope she runs for PM in 2024

The Pharmercy

Oct 26, 2017
Rahaf as in short story:

k

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rahaf as in short story:

Get the fuck out of her with this bullshit.

Oct 26, 2017
Rahaf as in short story:

Moral of the story, women should be able to leave the country at their own discretion.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Welcome HOME. I truly hope she finds a better life and happiness, like any other innocent human being deserves.

Rahaf as in short story:

I have a much better short story

go fuck yourself!

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Rahaf as in short story:

wikipedian_protester.jpg

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Rahaf as in short story:

And I heard Khashoggi cut himself into little pieces as a prank!

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

Kyzir

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kuwait
I got to admit she's smart, she got benefits of the Suadi-Thailand tension after "The Blue Diamond Affair", many Saudi travels to Thailand from Kuwait.

I mean you can also be spoiled and abused by your family not that they cancel each other out. Glad she's safe now.

True, but this is what I know about Rahaf before you'll know her on the news, she got a new life, but that's her background.

keep the hate guys, believe what you're reading on the news headlines, thanks.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Rahaf as in short story:

Why were you following her on Twitter before this happened?
Why so many threats on her life? Do people have to be threatened to maintain a specific faith?
Do you think there is a connection with Mecca being swarmed by locusts?

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Doesn't seem farfetched what kyzir is saying. Why should we fully deny it?