• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Monday said he was very worried about events in Hong Kong, which has a large Canadian population, and urged Chinese authorities to handle the protests there with tact.

"We are extremely concerned about the situation in Hong Kong. We see the need for de-escalation of tensions, we need to see the local authorities listening to the very serious concerns brought forward by Chinese citizens," said Trudeau, whose country is locked in a trade and diplomatic dispute with Beijing.

"We are calling for peace, for order, for dialogue ... we certainly call on China to be very careful and very respectful in how it deals with people who have legitimate concerns in Hong Kong," Trudeau told a televised news conference in Toronto.

His comments were the most expansive yet by a senior Canadian official about anti-government protests that have swept Hong Kong over the past two months. China said on Monday the demonstrations had begun to show "sprouts of terrorism".

Trudeau also said Ottawa was focused on the need to protect Canada's interests in Hong Kong, which is home to around 300,000 Canadian citizens.

His comments are unlikely to improve already poor relations between Ottawa and Beijing, which are embroiled in a trade and diplomatic dispute over Canada's arrest of a senior Huawei Technologies Co Ltd [HWT.UL] on a U.S. warrant last year.

OMG, He knows China will throw a tantrum over the smallest slights(similar to Saudi Arabia) due to having a horrible PR game, but he goes ahead and tells them to have tact, and be respectful to it's own people.

lol The absolute madman

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User banned (1 day): derailing a thread with off-topic whataboutisms over a series of posts
Great, now he can get back to ignoring the severe discrimination of our own indigenous population.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Justin Trudeau now say something against India also who are doing the Same thing in Kashmir or is the world too afraid to speak against India

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
How many more Canadians are going to get thrown in a Chinese jail over this?

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Great, now he can get back to ignoring the severe discrimination of our own indigenous population.

Oh yeah, I forgot about how he signed that "horrendously" historic self-government agreement with certain indigenous nations, the literal first of it's kind in Canadian history, and recently received their highest award of honour to reflect the motions of reconciliation since he came to power. But yes, let's bring out this argument once more.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh yeah, I forgot about how he signed that "horrendously" historic self-government agreement with certain indigenous nations, the literal first of it's kind in Canadian history, and recently received their highest award of honour to reflect the motions of reconciliation since he came to power. But yes, let's bring out this argument once more.
The same person who said he was a feminist and then sold weapons to Saudi Arabia, the most "feminist" country in the world? It's PR talk, what matters most is what the reality is. And the reality is that indigenous people's lives are shit compared to the white population.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Elections are coming up and I venture to guess the Hong Kong vote is quite important in vancouver and the burbs.

SushiReese

Oct 30, 2017
I am quite confused, why some posters (I assume they are Canadians) seemed to not a fan of Trudeau? Did he do anything wrong?

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
The same person who said he was a feminist and then sold weapons to Saudi Arabia, the most "feminist" country in the world? It's PR talk, what matters most is what the reality is. And the reality is that indigenous people's lives are shit compared to the white population.

This may surpise you, but did you know that the particular arms deal that you are speaking of was signed in 2014, an entire year before Trudeau was even elected, and entirely arranged by fucking Harper, right? And that the succeeding government was legally bound(as it was already signed for future use) by the previous one? And that since, there has been no new deals or selling of any arms to Saudi Arabia? Since you know, the current government is still trying to figure out a way out of the previous government's agreement without having the tax paying public absorbing a billion or so in penalties for breaching contract?

Nov 1, 2017
I am quite confused, why some posters (I assume they are Canadians) seemed to not a fan of Trudeau? Did he do anything wrong?

Some hate Trudeau because he's everything the right hates. The conservatives and certain media up here have been going nuts trying to tear him down no matter what. Not to say that he's been perfect, there was a pretty big issue that got him in lots of trouble due to a company called SNC Lavlin and he went back on an election policy or two. But compared to the likes of Trump or Scheer. Trudeau is leagues better.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every nation that's democratic, or at the least claims to treat it's citizens well should be telling China this

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Combination of reasons. His dad was pretty well hated in the west and accused of east coast favouritism. Justin to a lesser extent is perceived to be the same. In large numbers he's considered to be a bullshit artist that's more interested in saying the right things.

He's better than Scheer and Harper but he has done a pretty significant job in sowing discord between provinces. Your opinion of him will largely be based on where you reside but I wouldn't say he's the puritanical leader that his reputation says he is internationally.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't that deal made by Harper?
This may surpise you, but did you know that the particular arms deal that you are speaking of was signed in 2014, an entire year before Trudeau was even elected, and entirely arranged by fucking Harper, right? And that the succeeding government was legally bound(as it was already signed for future use) by the previous one? And that since, there has been no new deals or selling of any arms to Saudi Arabia? Since you know, the current government is still trying to figure out a way out of the previous government's agreement without having the tax paying public absorbing a billion or so in penalties for breaching contract?
And the deal that they went through with? Who cares if they were legally bound, I thought "I was just following orders" wasn't a valid excuse in regards to war crimes, which were surely committed with the weapons that were sold.

Deleted member 56069

User requested account deletion
Banned
Apr 18, 2019
He's done some great things but I still question some of his decisions and they've had some blunders over the last few years. That said, we don't have a Trump like situation here, Brexit type bullshit or as large of a far right movement as other places so I'll gladly keep Trudeau over others.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Combination of reasons. His dad was pretty well hated in the west and accused of east coast favouritism. Justin to a lesser extent is perceived to be the same. In large numbers he's considered to be a bullshit artist that's more interested in saying the right things.

He's better than Scheer and Harper but he has done a pretty significant job in sowing discord between provinces. Your opinion of him will largely be based on where you reside but I wouldn't say he's the puritanical leader that his reputation says he is internationally.

Yeah he sure sowed discord by buying a fucking pipeline for Alberta, only to have BC and the anti-pipeline folks lose their minds. Not to mention buying the pipeline did shit all to appease a province full of people who hate the fact that he's breathing air 🙄

Seriously though, he should have just ignored Alberta anyways. Alberta has lost 14,000 jobs in July, and the same circle of idiots who were screaming bloody murder the minute the NDP were elected, are suddenly perfectly fine with what the dipshit in charge is doing. Nothing would have ever satisfied these nutters.

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are many Hongkongers with Canadian citizenship and vice-versa, so this makes sense. Good on Justin.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Yeah he sure sowed discord by buying a fucking pipeline for Alberta, only to have BC and the anti-pipeline folks lose their minds. Not to mention buying the pipeline did shit all to appease a province full of people who hate the fact that he's breathing air 🙄

Seriously though, he should have just ignored Alberta anyways. Alberta has lost 14,000 jobs in July, and the same circle of idiots who were screaming bloody murder the minute the NDP were elected, are suddenly perfectly fine with what the dipshit in charge is doing. Nothing would have ever satisfied these nutters.
I didn't comment on Alberta. I also didn't offer an opinion on Trudeau other than he is better than Scheer and Harper.

Care to point where what I wrote is actually wrong? This country sure as shit seems a hell of a lot more divided than it was 5 or 6 years ago.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Are you referring to something in particular involving Trudeau?
Trudeau has been more involved in direct discussions with Indigenous communities than any other PM. This is something that has been noted by many Indigenous leaders.
He spoke out about the discrimination in the justice system involving Colton Boucherie among other problems.
Where did you get the idea that he is ignoring severe discrimination? Trudeau and the Liberals have done quite a bit to help with reconciliation.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't comment on Alberta. I also didn't offer an opinion on Trudeau other than he is better than Scheer and Harper.

Care to point where what I wrote is actually wrong? This country sure as shit seems a hell of a lot more divided than it was 5 or 6 years ago.

It isn't more divided now, it's just that instead of it being everyone vs Harper and the Cons, it's the NDP v Liberals v Greens VS the Cons. Your statement that he sowed discord amongst the provinces is incorrect, as the provinces have for the longest time not been seeing eye to eye long before he became PM.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are you referring to something in particular involving Trudeau?
Trudeau has been more involved in direct discussions with Indigenous communities than any other PM. This is something that has been noted by many Indigenous leaders.
He spoke out about the discrimination in the justice system involving Colton Boucherie among other problems.
Where did you get the idea that he is ignoring severe discrimination? Trudeau and the Liberals have done quite a bit to help with reconciliation.
Better than other PMs is not good enough, the other prime ministers were also shit.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
It isn't more divided now, it's just that instead of it being everyone vs Harper and the Cons, it's the NDP v Liberals v Greens VS the Cons. Your statement that he sowed discord amongst the provinces is incorrect, as the provinces have for the longest time not been seeing eye to eye long before he became PM.
Provincial and municipal election results would disagree with you there. There has been a significant shift in the last few years.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Better than other PMs is not good enough, the other prime ministers were also shit.
If he's the best federal leader available on the file then it's better than good enough.
Truthfully, Trudeau and the Liberal government have been fairly good and proactive on the file and the future of Indigenous relations look better with Trudeau than any other potential PM going into the next election.

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta get that HK money flowing back into our real estate, shit is slumping. I can almost afford a house if I get a 300% raise this year, and that's no good for business.

But. Telling China to fuck off is always a good thing so I ain't even mad.

Shifty

Oct 28, 2017
Hardly. As a centrist he plays both sides.

He did buy a pipeline through British Columbia but it's the right wing conservatives that sleep with the oil industry.
Yeah he plays both sides, just like how that pipeline purchase pissed off the left and right. Real genius move.
And I'd call buying a pipeline being pretty pro oil.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah he plays both sides, just like how that pipeline purchase pissed off the left and right. Real genius move.
And I'd call buying a pipeline being pretty pro oil.

He also enacted a carbon tax and Canada's first national EV rebate.

The conservative party literally meets with CAPP, wants to build a pipeline east across that no one wants and is anti climate change and environmental policies.

That's pro oil.