• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking no, stop being hypocrites for once.

Fuck him and his face

Electing a racist just to not let other racist get the power it's still fucking racist

Is there anything to suggest that Trudeau is actually racist though? His record over the past 4 years suggests that he's anything but.

What he did in 2001 was and is racist, but I really think you need to look at the context and intent, I don't believe for one second that there was any malicious intent in that picture. We know that Trudeau did dumb shit prior to his political career(like that falling down the stairs thing), but a stupid mistake 20 years ago shouldn't define your entire career and life, and it definitely is no reason to split the vote and help put an actual racist party in power.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Is there anything to suggest that Trudeau is actually racist though? His record over the past 4 years suggests that he's anything but.

What he did in 2001 was and is racist, but I really think you need to look at the context and intent, I don't believe for one second that there was any malicious intent in that picture. We know that Trudeau did dumb shit prior to his political career(like that falling down the stairs thing), but a stupid mistake 20 years ago shouldn't define your entire career and life, and it definitely is no reason to split the vote and help put an actual racist party in power.
It's unhelpful to pretend that he didn't know better. It's not a "stupid mistake." I mean, you gotta vote your conscience after weighing all things good and bad, but don't defend the bad.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is from a friend of mine (text after story broke):

"West Point Grey is such a terrible, elitist, gross place. No one there would bat an eye at that. Old white Vancouver money. I did some work with the school. I quit because the kids and their parents all were from that school. They. Were. The. Absolute. Worst. "

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017

this is just absurd at this point, how did nobody catch this?

Of course. People that do this kind of thing are fucked in the head and chances are they do it a lot. Man what kind of upbringing did he have that enabled this type of behaviour. It's so marvelous that him deciding on a political future and knowing it had to be the Liberal party because that was what his father was part of, fixed his racism!

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
I wonder if people will keep complimenting him on his choice of socks from now on.

Anyways, he should go. He said he did it only a second time now there's evidence of him doing it a third time.

Ramako

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
It's funny... I'm Arab (Egyptian) Canadian (and full disclosure, I usually vote Liberal), but despite it being ill advised, I'm not personally offended by what Trudeau did, and it turns out none of my "brown" friends or family who I've talked to are really offended by this either. I have a suspicion that the only people really up in arms and calling this racist, are conservatives and self-righteous white people trying to speak on behalf of brown people, and that's actually bothering me more than what Trudeau did.

EDIT: Just edited to add this way my own personal reaction to as an Arab. Not trying to excuse his behaviour in the eyes of others who have every right to be offended.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny... I'm Arab (Egyptian) Canadian (and full disclosure, I usually vote Liberal), but despite it being ill advised, I'm not personally offended by what Trudeau did, and it turns out none of my "brown" friends or family who I've talked to aren't really offended by this either. I have a suspicion that the only people really up in arms and calling this racist, are conservatives and self-righteous white people trying to speak on behalf of brown people, and that's actually bothering me more than what Trudeau did.
Not sure you want to go there.

Mr.Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Global News has obtained video showing Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau in blackface, the third instance of racist dress to come to light in 12 hours.

It's not clear when or where the video was taken, but the video, obtained exclusively by Global News, shows Trudeau covered in what appears to be dark makeup and raising his hands in the air while laughing, sticking his tongue out and making faces. He's wearing a white T-shirt, and his jeans are ripped at the knees. It appears as though his arms and legs are covered in makeup as well. It does not appear the video was shot at the same time and place of the other photos of Trudeau in racist make-up that have emerged in the past 24 hours.

Global News initially obtained the video from a source earlier this week but had been attempting to verify it before publishing. A senior member of the Liberal campaign confirmed it was Trudeau early Thursday morning but would not comment further, simply referring Global News back to Trudeau's comments on the matter from Wednesday evening. The source did not shoot the video but Global News subsequently reached the person believed to have shot the video. That person would not confirm or deny that it was Trudeau in the video or the time and place of the video.

I'm not satisfied that this is proof of a third occasion, but it is interesting the Global did have this video already earlier this week.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
It's funny... I'm Arab (Egyptian) Canadian (and full disclosure, I usually vote Liberal), but despite it being ill advised, I'm not personally offended by what Trudeau did, and it turns out none of my "brown" friends or family who I've talked to are offended by this either. I have a suspicion that the only people really up in arms and calling this racist, are conservatives and self-righteous white people trying to speak on behalf of brown people, and that's actually bothering me more than what Trudeau did.

My wife is and so is the family she still speaks to. She was raised Muslim and is of Indian descent. My closest friend is Sikh and he literally said after he saw the photo "what a fucking dick." So ya I don't think it's ever smart to use "none of my friends are offended" as a measure of how much something offends. Everyone has different responses to things. All we know for certain is that it is objectively racist to paint your face and have a laugh at another race.

kalgore

Oct 29, 2017
Electing conservatives to own Trudeau.

Seriously, it was a shitty thing to do, but I judge him by his policies and what he is doing NOW. After 5 years of him as the head of state I don't see racism in his policies and actions since he is prime minister.

His party still represent the best option to keep a party which will ENACT POLICIES that will push us backwards on minority rights, women rights, and the fight against climate change.

Totally agree.

I did crack up at his comment about "I've been known to over do it on a costume"

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
At this point, finish the election, get liberals into power, phase out Trudeau. He's not going to survive another election cycle with an increasing amount of baggage on him, they can hopefully find someone who didn't enjoy doing blackface.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Jesus... I didn't even seem him at first glance, because he looks so ridiculous in that picture in the OP.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
At this point, finish the election, get liberals into power, phase out Trudeau. He's not going to survive another election cycle with an increasing amount of baggage on him, they can hopefully find someone who didn't enjoy doing blackface.

Yas queen

canada-politics.jpg

Scheer's hypocrisy know no bound :

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny... I'm Arab (Egyptian) Canadian (and full disclosure, I usually vote Liberal), but despite it being ill advised, I'm not personally offended by what Trudeau did, and it turns out none of my "brown" friends or family who I've talked to are really offended by this either. I have a suspicion that the only people really up in arms and calling this racist, are conservatives and self-righteous white people trying to speak on behalf of brown people, and that's actually bothering me more than what Trudeau did.
What a silly hot take.

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This guy already broke so many promises to his liberal base like electoral reform, senate abolishment, indigenous rights, etc etc. We should never vote for Scheer but for God's sake hope Trudeau wins the election and decides this is his last hurrah and let someone else run next time because it's too late to find a replacement. I used the alt right word virtue signalling in another thread a while back to describe my frustration with him (didn't know it was alt right at the time) but basically I still think he fakes a lot (he is a politician afterall) with photo op and tweet posts and when it comes to doing stuff, he should do more.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
What is wrong with him. I hate that his indefensible actions will probably hurt us as a country so much. I dread being a country ran by scheer

Personally I think he would step down and let someone else lead the liberals

I really wish the NDP had the support they deserve

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
This fucking sucks, but I'm not going to vote for the conservatives to own the libs and Trudeau. Meanwhile, Jagmeer and the NDP has no chance to be elected whatsoever, so if I wanna block the conservatives to win the election, I gotta vote for the Libs nonetheless.

Electing conservatives to own Trudeau.

Seriously, it was a shitty thing to do, but I judge him by his policies and what he is doing NOW. After 5 years of him as the head of state I don't see racism in his policies and actions since he is prime minister.

His party still represent the best option to keep a party which will ENACT POLICIES that will push us backwards on minority rights, women rights, and the fight against climate change.

This. 100% this.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Canada has always been covertly racist. I'm glad this is coming to light, because it's this country in a nutshell.

Notice how the Canada-is-better crowd is now admitting that this country was apparently racist as fuck in 2001?

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not surprising, most people don't know the real Trudeau. He is a major troll, has been one for as long as I can remember. He will do things like tell his wife he'll throw a quote from Georges Danton (de l'audace! encore de l'audace! toujours de l'audace!) during a speech and no one will notice and he goes and do it and no one notices. He dresses up in costumes when visiting other countries and in Canada when visiting communities for the same reason as in a party (for the lol). He'll throw himself down a flight of stairs to shock people, as a stunt, or throw his luggage in the air in a fake-accident causing his clothes to fly all over the place for a laugh (both of which he said was something he did, the clip is on youtube where throws himself down stairs and tells the luggage story), the later when he and his wife were exiting an hotel during a vacation, I believe imitating a scene from a movie.

He's a big joker, loves do things that only he and his wife know are an inside joke.

I don't care, will still vote for him, but there's probably a lot more than this blackface we don't know of.

Mr.Mike

Oct 25, 2017
I don't expect the Conservatives will be pressing Justin Trudeau on this much longer. It would undermine the narrative they've been trying to build and risks demotivating their own voter base. The NDP might but they'd be almost surrendering Windsor, London and Hamilton in hopes of making some gains in Toronto and Vancouver. The ultimate example of white privilege will be when Justin Trudeau is ultimately unscathed by these revelations.

All that said I do also believe that the Liberal party is capable of swapping out Trudeau without losing ground, and therefore I think Trudeau should resign as leader of the Liberal party.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
So the 3rd image is the Harry Belafonte one that is circulating so 2 images and a video all separate occasions. How anyone can think keeping him as leader is less harmful than removing him is beyond me. They could grandstand like crazy if they replaced him and do a victory lap illustrating that they don't stand for it. To carry on like nothing has happened wouldn't make people vote conservative but I bet it keeps people home on voting day.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A wealthy White person growing up racist or racially insensitive!?!? I am shocked!!! Sacre bleu Justine!

Win election then put up someone less problematic to lead the party down the line.

Ramako

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
My wife is and so is the family she still speaks to. She was raised Muslim and is of Indian descent. My closest friend is Sikh and he literally said after he saw the photo "what a fucking dick." So ya I don't think it's ever smart to use "none of my friends are offended" as a measure of how much something offends. Everyone has different responses to things. All we know for certain is that it is objectively racist to paint your face and have a laugh at another race.

Of course your friend is totally entitled to how he feels. I just think it's the targets of the supposed offense (e.g. Arab or South Asian people) who should be the arbiters of whether or not it's offensive, not others just assuming how they must feel.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
so when faced with rising right in certain areas of Canada does this mean you all still kind of have to vote for him better or worse?

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
I have a suspicion that the only people really up in arms and calling this racist, are conservatives and self-righteous white people trying to speak on behalf of brown people, and that's actually bothering me more than what Trudeau did.
Your suspicion is really really wrong.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what the most ridiculous excuse he could come up with is.

"Mr. Popo's my favorite DBZ character and I was just paying homage."
"Oh so when Robert Downey Jr. does it, it's okay?!"

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Of course your friend is totally entitled to how he feels. I just think it's the targets of the supposed offense (e.g. Arab or South Asian people) who should be the arbiters of whether or not it's offensive, not others just assuming how they must feel.

Also Black people. He did minstrel makeup in the Global video.

I guess he really does love diversity. At least in his makeup palette.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
All that said I do also believe that the Liberal party is capable of swapping out Trudeau without losing ground, and therefore I think Trudeau should resign as leader of the Liberal party.
At this point we're voting for the Liberal platform, our local Liberal members of parliament and to keep Scheer and his morally bankrupt cronies out of office.

As for Trudeau, I want him gone and I want him gone now. Nobody should be voting Liberal because of what he brings to the title of prime minister given his flagrant thoughtlessness and bravado. There is no excusing this. None.

Give me Freeland. Give me Goodale. Give me Sajjan. Give me a fricken mop with a Liberal logo and an "IOU 1 PM" sign on it. I don't care who. Just get Trudeau the fuck out of there. Now.