• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Let's go down this route: you decide to screw over the election because of principle knowing that an incredibly racist and damaging party would win, would you not be enabling racism? You know what your choices lead to. You know the damage it causes. You are part of that responsibility now.

Exactly, reminds me of 2016 in a way. All the people so "concerned" about imperfect candidates seemingly willing to throw the people they say they are protecting, under the bus for a full term + supreme court judges so they can feel get their morality boner stroked for 5 minutes.

No thanks. This guy did some stupid ass shit, and I hope he suffers for it later in his career, but Im not exchanging that for god knows how much suffering the minorities will recieve under the opposing party. And trying to get me to do so under some lame ass "One racist for another" false equivalency is a waste of time.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I woke up this morning, having thought on my comments last night about switching my vote to NDP, but I decided I'm willing to reluctantly cast my vote for the Liberal party so as to not increase the likelihood of a Conservative government, but with the big caveat that I expect after the election, we get together as a party and find a new leader. One who does not have this kind of history of blatant racism. I am a member of the party and will voice my opinion on this strongly.

That's what I woke up today thinking anyway. Now you're telling me there's a third incident? JFC. Like I say, as soon as this election is over...win or lose, Trudeau has gotta step down. What an embarrassment.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
He apologized for the incidents that were known and didn't come clean about this third one (or possibly more) at all. The dude only apologized when it came into public light.
From my understanding he offered up the second incident when prompted, which doesn't seem to me like he's shying away from his actions.

I don't know why you expect people to apologize for something no one knew about. He probably hasn't given it a thought in years, if the blackface came that easily to him back then. Racism isn't some grand act of malice you set out to commit. That's what makes it so insidious.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I don't say this to be condescending but step out of your bubble and read some FB comments. Dropping Trudeau will lose them the election 100% and pretending that the morally correct and pragmatic paths align while making things easier is not sound political analysis.

The Liberal party running ads with him and supporting him after so much racist baggage is bad news imo. It's disillusioning. We are in a different time now where these sorts of things are not forgotten they are meme'd and posted everywhere constantly. It will never go away and I think liberal politician that stand by him will suffer for it down the line. That said there is opportunity for the ones within the party that deride him to gain notoriety and credibility.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
The problem here is that most Canadians don't give a fuck about racism and don't see the problem with blackface. A quick tour around Facebook will tell you that.

Ramako

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Still think a man who did blackface 20 years ago but has actively worked to further minority rights makes for a better Prime Minister than a man allied with white supremacists who is on record making prejudiced comments even now.

Speaking as a Mexican Canadian, growing up in Canada as a minority you will inevitably meet these two kinds of people: the harmless, dumb racist who doesn't really understand that their racism is offensive, but only takes it as far as dumb jokes; and the actual fucking racist who hates you for what you look like or where you were born who you know is a ticking time bomb and secretly wishes they could get rid of you.

You learn to live with the former, but you avoid the latter at all costs. That's where we are now, and it's unfortunate but the NDP realistically are too great a risk to support when the actual racist has a shot at winning.

If you're that shocked at Trudeau doing blackface then you need to look deeper and realize there's a shit ton of this type of "ignorant" racism in Canada, because while I am disappointed I can't say I'm surprised that a rich white Canadian guy did something racist as a joke. And again, while this would be a perfect opportunity to call this issue out and affirm that no, it's not acceptable and there are consequences even if you don't intend to hurt anyone, Trudeau stepping down or anything of the sort risks a Conservative victory.

giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
The Liberal party running ads with him and supporting him after so much racist baggage is bad news imo. It's disillusioning. We are in a different time now where these sorts of things are not forgotten they are meme'd and posted everywhere constantly. It will never go away and I think liberal politician that stand by him will suffer for it down the line. That said there is opportunity for the ones within the party that deride him to gain notoriety and credibility.

I understand why you feel that way but given the dynamics of Canadian politics and the lack of checks and balances in governance there is nothing to be gained that cannot be adressed later given the stakes.
If the conservatives want to meme that even when he is no longer leader then fine, it won't help them as much as you think it will.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
Still think a man who did blackface 20 years ago but has actively worked to further minority rights makes for a better Prime Minister than a man allied with white supremacists who is on record making prejudiced comments even now.

Speaking as a Mexican Canadian, growing up in Canada as a minority you will inevitably meet these two kinds of people: the harmless, dumb racist who doesn't really understand that their racism is offensive, but only takes it as far as dumb jokes; and the actual fucking racist who hates you for what you look like or where you were born who you know is a ticking time bomb and secretly wishes they could get rid of you.

You learn to live with the former, but you avoid the latter at all costs. That's where we are now, and it's unfortunate but the NDP realistically are too great a risk to support when the actual racist has a shot at winning.

If you're that shocked at Trudeau doing blackface then you need to look deeper and realize there's a shit ton of this type of "ignorant" racism in Canada, because while I am disappointed I can't say I'm surprised that a rich white Canadian guy did something racist as a joke. And again, while this would be a perfect opportunity to call this issue out and affirm that no, it's not acceptable and there are consequences even if you don't intend to hurt anyone, Trudeau stepping down or anything of the sort risks a Conservative victory.

This should be pinned down in the main post or something. This is all there is to it.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Such a lazy false equivalence

Trump has like hundreds of rape accusations, was on that pedo plane multiple times, creeped the miss universe locker room, in general has a long history of this shit, that he has never apologized for and instead deflects

Trudeau has this blackface mistake, apologized, and has clearly in his time as PM been doing decent for minorities

Btw it's nowhere close to a given that Trudeau will lose, so I don't even know what your last point is getting at
A lot of people think saying something will will it to be so. Given similar controversies, I don't see many actually taking him to task.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Ndp and Conservatives would be a worse bet to go forward and while I hate haaate the picture I really don't wanna hold people to something awful done almost two decades ago, especially if they're sincerely sorry. Nothing now suggests he would do that or defend it again, and 20 years is a long time for a person's and/or society's attitudes to change.

Apologies and actions from here can go a long way, and shit like in that photo was not nearly as offensive in some regard as it is considered now in hindsight.

A terrible look, but I don't doubt most folk have done something they'd sooner see forgotten, unfortunately none of us have that foresight in the moment.

If Conservatives are at all anything like my dad than I'd be more fearful of their brand of regular and daily racist thought.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol I am out, when people sound like Trump voters during the "grabbing" scandal it's time to call the quits.

"He has changed" "it was 20 years ago" "do you realise what would happen if the other side wins" " I am sure it's not that bad" "I am sure it was just that instance"

And by the way, start to adjust to the idea that he has already lost, you might prefer the "lesser Evil", but know that enough people will not. Enough for you to vote a black face that will not even win.

Good luck
This post didn't age well:

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, Canada is not founded on racism. That is too much.

If you believe that then there isn't a non-racist country on earth.

Yes we have racist people and historical baggage. Saying the country is inherently, intractably racist forever is fucking cray.
Yes, Canada is founded on racism. Indigenous people's lands were stolen and they weren't even allowed to vote for a century, we've had laws specifically restricting immigration on race, etc. These relationships were never completely overturned, so natives still live in poorer conditions than whites, and many minorities have harder time gaining employment than whites. And yes, there isn't a single non-racist country on Earth, you're correct.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Look at his current actions and not stupidity from the past. Chances are he's a completely different person now.

m23

Oct 25, 2017

This, very well put.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I disagree that he's racist. He did something racist, yes, but I do not see a pattern of racism from him during his time in the public spotlight, in fact the exact opposite

I'll choose to believe he's changed since then, given his actions, policy, and rhetoric since then
You don't see a pattern because you don't know him personally. A wealthy White guy acting like a racially insensitive jackass at best, is unfortunately not surprising. Most White people do not do sufficient self-reflecting when it comes to their own actions and thoughts, so I have no proof personally that Justin did the work internally.

That he's done well for minorities doesn't mean he's not racist. You can be both racist and do great for minorities. LBJ has done more for minorities than Trudeau ever will and the man was openly racist himself lol.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol I am out, when people sound like Trump voters during the "grabbing" scandal it's time to call the quits.

"He has changed" "it was 20 years ago" "do you realise what would happen if the other side wins" " I am sure it's not that bad" "I am sure it was just that instance"

And by the way, start to adjust to the idea that he has already lost, you might prefer the "lesser Evil", but know that enough people will not. Enough for you to vote a black face that will not even win.

Good luck

I think it's a bit disingenuous to compare those situations. Trump was detailing sexual assault, a crime. And, he has done nothing the last 10 years to show that he is contrite and reformed. He was no champion for women. There was no reason to believe Trump wouldn't do the same thing today. If he was contrite, I can forgive stuff from decade + ago, as much as someone like me can forgive someone else for transgressions against a 3rd party.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
Came in here thinking it was an awful, one time thing.

Boy was I wrong. Tire fire.

How many centuries will it take before blackface dies out?

*squints* Never? Pah. Lousy horrible humanity.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017

this about sums it up. The liberals have to try to use this line of thinking

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trudeau is a freaking farce. Liberal Party needs to replace his racist ass as soon as possible.

How the Liberals continue to bounce back after svandals is beyond me.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Please for the love of everything good, don't fucking give us Conservative rule because of this idiots personal stupidity. If you're mad at what he did, good be mad, and after the election push for your party to change leadership. But if you care one bit about the welfare of this country's most marginalised and most disenfranchised communities, don't let the Cons form government.

Trudeau wearing brown face in 2001 doesn't get me, my family, and others like me hurt and killed. The shit right wing nuts have been pushing does and has led to the deaths of brown Canadians. Throw in the anti-LGBTQ, anti-abortion, anti-environment, anti-indigenous people, and anti-poor agenda that Cons are aiming to push for, is this idiot worth putting the country through that hell?

Do you guys remember a few years back the anti-brown people signs fuckwits here in Alberta were posting across the UofA and UofC campuses?

these-racist-anti-immigration-posters-targeting-men-in-turb.jpeg

sub-buzz-9691-1474397503-1.jpg

Please don't let the party that specifically caters to these bastards form government.
That is a good point. Trudeau did was shit, but I wouldn't be surprised that these Conservative fucks, deep inside, are not only fine with that sorta thing, have done it or are STILL doing it behind closed doors (in their racist parties). As bad as what Trudeau did, Right-wingers are pretty shit in general.

What compels people to do this?
A number of white people are either overt racist or are stupid regarding "what is" and "what isn't" considered "racist". Those latter ones know that treating someone bad because of their skin color is "racist", but are unaware that racism covers a wide array of things, including blackface/brownface and making fun of people of other races and their cultures. Again, those in the latter tend to only consider their racism when they get called out by PoC.

I guess all the Dutch people (including their kids) are also racists for doing blackface during Sinterklaas?

I'd say it's more ignorance in this case. Especially for that time.
Uh, they ARE racist for doing blackface. Racism can be a form of ignorace. Also, sometimes traditions are fucked up and worth shit. Some traditions (in the world) REALLY need to DIE.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS

Rough semi-accurate Acadian history summary:

Some French people showed up in what is now Eastern Canada and got along relatively well with the natives (history may skew just how amicable this relationship was, but by all accounts it was one of the better relationships between natives/nonnatives in this era of history). As far as the french were concerned, this was native land.

Later some english people showed up and fucked everyone up who wasn't willing to pledge allegiance to the protestant church. They kicked the french out and fucked up the natives. They've been fucking them up ever since, including to this very day.

Canada's history is intrinsically tied with denying the rights and the claims of the native peoples. It's as core to our identity as anything else.

BIG J

Oct 27, 2017

perfectly put

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Canada was totally founded on racism.

I think we just look good in comparison being next to the USA.

In school we totally glossed over our treatment of indigenous people but went all in on the Underground Railroad leading to Canada.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Canada buds the principled vote is definitely not worth it if you still needed to actually hear it. I don't know anything about the party landscape there, or if the conservatives in Canada are just as craven as American conservatives but I promise sticking to principles won't be any solace if you lose while the other side revels in victory and rubs their lack of principles in your face.

I don't know. Maybe you guys still have some breathing room to allow for humanity in politics. We're in a post-humanity world here in America.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Canada buds the principled vote is definitely not worth it if you still needed to actually hear it. I don't know anything about the party landscape there, or if the conservatives in Canada are just as craven as American conservatives but I promise sticking to principles won't be any solace if you lose while the other side revels in victory and rubs their lack of principles in your face.

I don't know. Maybe you guys still have some breathing room to allow for humanity in politics. We're in a post-humanity world here in America.
The conservatives are shit yes. Regressive in every way.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017

If you believe that then there isn't a non-racist country on earth.
There is NO non-racist country on earth.

And Canada WAS founded on racism, as was the United States. When white people take away land from PoC, there tends to be a LOT OF FUCKIN' RACISM afoot.