• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MakotoYuki

Oct 28, 2017
Sehun is so powerful, tbh. But yeah, I don't get why either. Bragging rights, maybe?
Must be. If they wanted to get him new fans they should find a media with a different target (doubt NYT public cares about idols).
The most I could find is that he performed the song for dingomusic a few weeks ago. Aside from that there's nothing. The song was also released in October, so it's not even new. That's why people don't get where this is coming from.
Now hes #1 with 850k ULs, so the ranking makes sense.

roosters93

Oct 25, 2017
lol someone made a petition on the Blue House site to investigate the ranking of that Nilo song

More than outright chart manipulation I think it's possibly just "great" use of viral marketing.
There's a lot of facebook pages in Korea that just post music to listen to. And of course some of them accept $$$ to post your songs. If you did that enough maybe you could manipulate it all in that way.

It's not a crime to spend big money for idol's birthday. Their fans have their own job to earn their money, it is also in their right to use their money in their own way. Unless if you are the one who pays the bill.. but that's another story

Not a crime but extravagant

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
lol someone made a petition on the Blue House site to investigate the ranking of that Nilo song

More than outright chart manipulation I think it's possibly just "great" use of viral marketing.
There's a lot of facebook pages in Korea that just post music to listen to. And of course some of them accept $$$ to post your songs. If you did that enough maybe you could manipulate it all in that way.

Not a crime but extravagant
It's okay to be extravagant. People have the right to use their own money for their own sake. Let people enjoy their things

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap, A Pink's Namjoo got butchered, I hope she sues.
They really went in on her. That's the dangers of plastic surgery, you have perfectly fine people being told something is wrong with them by society, and then they end up messing themselves up more.

Not saying she looks bad, just thinking out loud.

Gabora

Oct 25, 2017
Sao Paulo, Brazil
They really went in on her. That's the dangers of plastic surgery, you have perfectly fine people being told something is wrong with them by society, and then they end up messing themselves up more.

Not saying she looks bad, just thinking out loud.

She was really pretty, so I'm a little confused as to why she chose to do it, if she even chose out of her own volition.

Even if she did, there's no way she could possibly be happy with the results.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
She was really pretty, so I'm a little confused as to why she chose to do it, if she even chose out of her own volition.
A lot of it, with people who abuse plastic surgery, is body dysmorphia. Others can tell them they're attractive, but they can't see it. Having problems like that and entering the k-pop industry is a recipe for disaster since idols are always being pitted against each other, even when they're in the same group.

All that aside, she isn't as busted looking at the netizens claim.

G-Nitro

Oct 27, 2017
Columbia, MD
Eesh, the almost 2 decades of listening to K-Pop and the plastic surgery stuff (mostly the over done surgery) still makes me cringe... I will never understand the need to keep getting more and more plastic surgery, and yet I will never understand the pressures on them by their society. Considering many get plastic surgery in S Korea just to get jobs, the society as a whole is to blame. While Namjoo looks changed, none will be as bad as the damage Park Bom has done to her self... she needs to be the poster child for what happens with too much plastic surgery.

PixelParty

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hello K-Pop ERA, I am looking for some help.

Is there any better site than GMarket for purchasing Korean CDs, books, and movies? I am located in the US, so would need international shipping.

Gabora

Oct 25, 2017
Sao Paulo, Brazil
A lot of it, with people who abuse plastic surgery, is body dysmorphia. Others can tell them they're attractive, but they can't see it. Having problems like that and entering the k-pop industry is a recipe for disaster since idols are always being pitted against each other, even when they're in the same group.

All that aside, she isn't as busted looking at the netizens claim.

I'm familiar with dysmorphia, I guess I figured it would've presented itself earlier, but I guess this could be the first sign of it. I'm actually leaning towards a nose tweak that went horribly horrible wrong.

And its not really an issue of looking busted, though the comments I've seen lean less towards being mean and more towards being sympathetic to, what many interpret as, bad PS. And as G-nitro put it, she is barely recognizable.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Considering many get plastic surgery in S Korea just to get jobs, the society as a whole is to blame.
That's how I feel and I kinda hate talking about it because most fans seem to handwave it away, and mistake it for shaming idols for getting work done.

I blame the entire entertainment industry, and the standards they're creating for normal people, the standards that make high school students get nose jobs and lifts. I wish more of them would just say, "Screw it," and accept their looks because even when they get work done folks still mess with them. It's like damned if you do, damned if you don't--so why even bother?

I think this article summed it up nicely:

All of this to say, South Korea certainly has a problem with how prevalent plastic surgery has become. It is not that the procedures are inherently bad in some way. Rather, the pressure to outwardly conform and the ensuing medical, financial, and social tolls are what we should address.

Gabora

Oct 25, 2017
Sao Paulo, Brazil
That's how I feel and I kinda hate talking about it because most fans seem to handwave it away, and mistake it for shaming idols for getting work done.

I blame the entire entertainment industry, and the standards they're creating for normal people, the standards that make high school students get nose jobs and lifts. I wish more of them would just say, "Screw it," and accept their looks because even when they get work done folks still mess with them. It's like damned if you do, damned if you don't--so why even bother?

It actually might just be a case of her having to promote while the surgery is still fresh, she wouldn't be the first idol to do, and won't be the last. In a couple of week she might look like herself.

I remember Arden Cho talking about what she would've been required to do to be "acceptable" in the Korean entertainment industry... it was frightening because Arden Cho is gorgeous.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
It actually might just be a case of her having to promote while the surgery is still fresh, she wouldn't be the first idol to do, and won't be the last. In a couple of week she might look like herself.

I remember Arden Cho talking about what she would've been required to do to be "acceptable" in the Korean entertainment industry... it was frightening because Arden Cho is gorgeous.
I just hope she doesn't try to fix it with another job. That could make it worse.

G-Nitro

Oct 27, 2017
Columbia, MD

It stood out as a even bigger problem when AKMU having a no plastic surgery clause in their contract made huge headlines... It should be the other way around... *sigh*

sca

Oct 25, 2017

They're going to be one group, right? I wish it were just left to smaller groups. I mean, I'll give it a chance, but I'm not too sure about it

Get butchered how? Any image to compare?
From what I'm seeing
before
namjoo.jpg

now
namjoocov.jpg

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
They're going to be one group, right? I wish it were just left to smaller groups. I mean, I'll give it a chance, but I'm not too sure about it
Yes and I'm also worried. Groups that big can quickly desend into chaos when it comes to lines. Hopefully the units/solos are here to stay. Think they'll lose some magic as a whole group.

Last edited:

Neol

Oct 25, 2017
Yes and I'm also worried. Groups that big can quickly defend into chaos when it comes to lines. Hopefully the units/solos are here to stay. Think they'll lose some magic as a whole group.

Feel you on this. I would love to see the group debut super strong with all 12 members charms and strengths showing but I doubt it's gonna happen. If they somehow do it I'll be ecstatic but I give it like 2-3 comebacks till they figure out there group dynamic.

If worst comes to worst I'm still pretty sure the subunits will continue to exist so everyone will be satisfied if there fav member gets overshadowed in the main group.

Gabora

Oct 25, 2017
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Yes and I'm also worried. Groups that big can quickly desend into chaos when it comes to lines. Hopefully the units/solos are here to stay. Think they'll lose some magic as a whole group.

I think they have potential, but I think a 12 member group will decent into a massive clusterfuck. I think we are going to end up seeing a Gugudan situation, with the more popular members (aka Odd Eye Circle) getting more lines.

I'm sort of glad I didn't buy into the hype beyond Kimlip, Jinsol, Chuu and Yves. High probability I'm going to be satisfied with whatever they put out lol

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I'm always in favor of people doing whatever they want with their faces/body, but she was so fucking pretty

She was, but she was also the least popular member. And I guess that can really wear on you mentally if you're in a group. Then you throw in just how prevalent plastic surgery is in SK and Kpop, and in some ways the inevitable just ends up happening. I think it's a big reason why fans are always trying to praise Umji from GFriend. Thankfully she's getting a lot of love in Japan and was even hired by Popteen to be an exclusive model for them.

Deleted member 9746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I expect Chuu, Kim Lip and Heejin (maybe Jinsoul and Haseul) to have the most lines. Go Won, Vivi and Yeojin will probably get the short end of the stick.

sca

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think Namjoo was pressured by her company to have the surgery or was it more self esteem?

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think Namjoo was pressured by her company to have the surgery or was it more self esteem?

I'm not sure it'd be the company. The reason I say that is because they aren't a new group by any means. They've been around for so long that it doesn't really seem like something they'd push for. As I said earlier, she's the least popular member of the group and in particular antis would crack jokes about her nose. Of course now she's getting a ton of attention but for all the wrong reasons. She's apparently trending very high on Korean search engines because of the change in her appearance.

Gabora

Oct 25, 2017
Sao Paulo, Brazil
She was, but she was also the least popular member. And I guess that can really wear on you mentally if you're in a group. Then you throw in just how prevalent plastic surgery is in SK and Kpop, and in some ways the inevitable just ends up happening. I think it's a big reason why fans are always trying to praise Umji from GFriend. Thankfully she's getting a lot of love in Japan and was even hired by Popteen to be an exclusive model for them.

Honest question, though, has there ever been a case of a group member getting surgery and becoming more popular, specially in a long running group such as Apink? I always thought that, at this point, if you are not popular that's just what it is. I'm struggling to think of a single one.

Edit: holy shit, watching some recent Apink fancams, she looks off even in motion

Last edited:

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Honest question, though, has there ever been a case of a group member getting surgery and becoming more popular, specially in a long running group such as Apink? I always thought that, at this point, if you are not popular that's just what it is. I'm struggling to think of a single one.

Edit: holy shit, watching some recent Apink fancams, she looks off even in motion

If there is an example then i'm drawing a blank. I think they typically want to get something like plastic surgery out of the way during the training phase for idols. That way neither the company or artist will have to address it if there is a drastic change in appearance. The only people that will really know about it are the few that follow groups during that phase of their career.

Favi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Maybe T-ara's SoYeon, but I think it didn't make much difference like you said. AOA's ChoA too, though it was nothing too drastic and the group as a whole was not popular until after the fact.

So yeah, there really isn't much of a point, which is why I don't think this was motivated by Plan A at all.

Gabora

Oct 25, 2017
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Maybe T-ara's SoYeon, but I think it didn't make much difference like you said. AOA's ChoA too, though it was nothing too drastic and the group as a whole was not popular until after the fact.

So yeah, there really isn't much of a point, which is why I don't think this was motivated by Plan A at all.

I thought about both (plus Secret's Hana and Rainbow Hyunyoung) but as you said SoYeon's nose job happened after the whole Hwayoung bullying scandal/nonsense, so its not like it really mattered at the time. Choa's nose job (which still puzzled me, but hey if the girl wants a bigger nose more power to her) happened right before the last comeback she was part of the group, plus she was actually pretty popular/respected (up until she leaving anyway).

Lizzy also got a nose job, but it happened pretty much right after she debuted.

Status
Not open for further replies.