• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

·feist·

Oct 26, 2017
In no particular order: Gyuri, Jisun, Goat Rapper RomSae

I wonder how many years it'll be until the virtue signalers have Halloween outlawed.

Always a good idea to actually listen to members of historically marginalised groups, and either remove oneself from the equation and/or think critically about that group's concerns.

9939AC3C5BD44D8C304A51

And those fromis_9 gifs!
99F6EE4F5BCDBC1302E6A8

Remember when Wonder Girls broke barriers and shared the same stage as the Jonas Brothers? I stayed up late so I could watch their Nick movie lmao. It was probably terrible.

i7kvCzW.jpg
Remember when Sunye and Yeeun where one of the all-time best singing combos in K-Pop, regardless of age or gender?

Regular posting of 'Dugo Dugo'

Wonder Girls(Sun, Yenny) - For a long time, 원더걸스(선예, 예은) - 두고 두고, Beautiful

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm late, but Jihyo's "Indian" outfit was a bad look that can't be defended. Too many k-pop fans are willing to shrug off racist stuff like that. Anyway, none of these outfits are problematic. Stan Fromis_9:

Ginta

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's so boring that I didn't even bother sharing it
I was just asking myself what's going on during the second half of the MV. haha Maybe that's the point.

Hey hey hooo, there was a Musik Bank in Berlin?! *scream* G-Idle were covering Marvin Gayes Sunny.

Last edited:

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope Fromis_9 doesn't fall victim to the "number" curse. Seems like most groups with numbers in their title always lose members.

cHinzo

Oct 27, 2017
I actually enjoyed the song. It's better than Ko Ko Bop at least, although my favorite songs of them are Growl and Call Me Baby.

No No Eul

Oct 26, 2017
So IZ*ONE hasn't been banned from Music Bank but one of their tracks has been deemed unfit for broadcast by both KBS and SBS due to its Japanese lyrics.
On November 1, a source from SBS stated, "The lyrics for IZ*ONE's song, 'You're In Love, Right?" is all in Japanese. Our internal review regulations state that strong Japanese style cannot be broadcast. Thus we deemed the song unfit for broadcast on our channel."

Previously on October 30, KBS also deemed the song unfit for broadcast. The channel revealed, "The song violated our broadcasting regulations of a part of the lyrics or all of the lyrics being Japanese."

I know these broadcasters are really anal about lyrical content but I'd never realised that including Japanese words in a song was liable to result in a ban lol

OP
OP
llehuty

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
I actually like the EXO song a lot, it's so catchy and at the same time so unpredictable. The album is also fantastic as usual.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Tempo has grown a bit on me. Musically, it's doing a lot and I do enjoy the R&B drop near the end.

That said, they made the same mistake BTS did for the same reason. Idol was okay, and Airplane Pt. 2 was a much better song.

In EXO's case:

That, is a slow jam. Too slow for a title track, but damn it's good.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
The EXO album is really good damn. I think Sign is my favorite song, honestly could have been a title track.

No No Eul

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe they haven't recorded the track yet. :P

One of the B-sides from AKB48's new single:

The lineup features P48 contestants Goto Moe, Chiba Erii, Kojima Mako, Muto Tomu, Iwatate Saho, Nakanishi Chiyori, Asai Nanami, Sato Minami, Murase Sae, Motomura Aoi, Aramaki Misaki, Murakawa Vivian Bibian and Yamada Noe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
llehuty

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
^That's currently my favorite G-Idle song.

Anyway, the Twice poll is about to close, it exactly closes in:

t1541372400z0.png

Doing a last update before the final results, and oh boy...

1st (1↑) 742
2nd (1↓) 735
3rd (=) 654
4th (=) 640
5th (=) 526
6th (=) 493
7th (=) 489
8th (=) 431
9th (=) 290

Takeover of the first spot when there is barely one day of voting left. And plenty of spots up for grabs too. Every vote (and edit) counts at this point.

Poll link

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
why is BTS so popular compared to other groups?

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
why is BTS so popular compared to other groups?

They had a very strong run of EPs/albums with The Most Beautiful Moment in Life, Part 1, The Most Beautiful Moment in Life, Part 2, and Wings. Run was probably the turning point: it was generally an amazing song, but it was also a part of a series of videos that looked to be connected with a single story. That improved overall engagement with that run of videos.

There was a general growth in k-pop in the United States, partially due to Psy's breakout in 2012, partially due to YouTube (and other services like Dramafever and V Live), and partially due to events like KCON. So, BTS had a series of songs and videos that did well on YouTube, headlined KCON LA and NY in middle of a great run, and in general, engaged with their international fans (especially on social media) in a way most groups did not at the time online. (For example, SM Entertainment has been real slow to have English subs on YT videos and very slow to allow artist engagement on social media and video platforms.) And that's before getting into other stuff, like strong hip hop influences starting to take off.

So it's a lot of factors. Nothing wrong with that. BTS is riding a strong wave. That doesn't mean other groups are doing very well: Bigbang is mostly in the military but even their solo singles hold the charts in Korea, EXO is strong in Asia, girl groups like Blackpink and Twice are very strong in terms of streaming, and we don't know "what's next".

K-pop is great, man. Let's enjoy the ride, especially since it means more acts coming Westward.

If you're interested in a general history of K-pop stuff, here's a solid video on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.