• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what they're gonna do with Chaewon and Eunbi, because they'd slide into the group perfectly. But that's still more than a year away...

We'll see how it shakes out but I feel that having the group debut like this now and then adding the IZone ladies once their exclusivity period is over is a better strategy than a lot of companies did the first time around with the IOI members groups. Although they probably shouldn't hard commit to anything about that yet and give themselves some flexibility rather than announcing that Chaewon and Eunbi will definitely join later.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
That OMG song has really grown on me. So much so that I'm willing to do battle over its honor if any of you continue to talk smack about it lol.

Anyway, what does a Sunday smell like?

This is good. Really like the choreo.

Snapping has been growing on me
Cause it's a good song.

Ugh, I'm starting to feel like DJ Khaled---another one! This is much better than I expected:

Edit: After listening to it a few times I'm ready to call it one of the best debuts of 2019. Video could be better, but the song is great.

I feel like the song is 90% of the way there. Obviously it's subjective, but I feel like the chorus could benefit from a little heavier bass.

Yasssssssssssssssssssssssssss

OP
OP
llehuty

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what they're gonna do with Chaewon and Eunbi, because they'd slide into the group perfectly. But that's still more than a year away...
I don't think they will add them to the group. Eunbi is solo pop girl material if she wants to, and Chaewon could go also the OST/ballad girl route.

This could be nothing, but their official facebook has a 6 in their custom URL name
https://www.facebook.com/rcpc06

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
It's happening apparently.

EBZyLqyU8AAH0VH

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Why do they look like a Johnny's Entertainment boy group?

I love some of the members individually but I question the business decisions behind this idea.

It's fine. It's literally just the members of EXO and NCT who aren't in the military and want to perform. Plus Taemin. SM will hit them with an SM production track and it'll sell tons and then they'll continue to do the stuff they normally do. Folks will treat it like a subunit.

Oct 25, 2017
It's fine. It's literally just the members of EXO and NCT who aren't in the military and want to perform. Plus Taemin. SM will hit them with an SM production track and it'll sell tons and then they'll continue to do the stuff they normally do. Folks will treat it like a subunit.

Taemin, Baekhyun and Kai I can understand but throwing in NCT members just makes me wonder if NCT (including WayV) isn't meeting expectations. You'd think that surely the whole point of the NCT project was to have a big thing to cover them while Shinee and (especially) Exo are enlisted.

OP
OP
llehuty

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
Taemin, Baekhyun and Kai I can understand but throwing in NCT members just makes me wonder if NCT (including WayV) isn't meeting expectations. You'd think that surely the whole point of the NCT project was to have a big thing to cover them while Shinee and (especially) Exo are enlisted.
It's just a project group to test the waters, nothing more than that. They aren't going to destroy all the NCT units for an english release.

Think of it like a SM Station track, but backed by Capital records.

LJKO

Nov 16, 2017
It's just a project group to test the waters, nothing more than that. They aren't going to destroy all the NCT units for an english release.

Think of it like a SM Station track, but backed by Capital records.
If it's successful I can see maybe SM doing one for the girls: Taeyeon, Luna, Amber, Seulgi, Yeri, and my dream BoA to be in her 1st GG ^_^

Kalnet

Oct 25, 2017
"The Avengers of Kpop" got me chuckling. We just need to see and listen what song they gonna debut with. No doubt it'll be an SM style track. I'm quite curious how it's gonna turn out and wondering about their fan's reactions too.

OP
OP
llehuty

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why people are reacting so much to this group, I don't think it was that big of a deal when they did these:

questionmark

Oct 25, 2017
Before the Red Velvet rankings go in shambles after the next round of teasers, here is the current results so far

Members:

(=) 240
(=) 166
(=) 158
(=) 87
(=) 71

Songs

(=) 156
(=) 148
(=) 124 (2017)
(=) 101
(=) 94 (2015)
(=) 76
(=) 62
(↑ 2) 38
(↓ 1) 30
(↑ 3) 26 (2018)
(↓ 2) 22
(↓ 1) 12
(↑ 1) 9
(↓ 2) 6

37 people voted so far. Polls are closing on the 18th OR right before their new comeback if it happens before then.

I'm gonna guess that the 2017 song is Red Flavor, and that the 2015 is Dumb Dumb while I'm gonna go with Power Up for the 2918 one. As for the girls, I'm gonna guess that it'll be Seulgi > Irene > Joy > Wendy > Yeri.

If it's successful I can see maybe SM doing one for the girls: Taeyeon, Luna, Amber, Seulgi, Yeri, and my dream BoA to be in her 1st GG ^_^
Yeri lol. If they're gonna add one of the less talented ones, it'll obviously be someone like Irene, Yoona or Sulli.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why people are reacting so much to this group, I don't think it was that big of a deal when they did these:

Yup. Those also did quite well for them. As have the various Station tracks. Stans are just super weird these days. They see it like an existential crisis for their favorite group or something.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
They were able to buy in pretty quickly. I still prefer stuff from Planetarium Records or AOMG.
AOMG proper is pretty ehhh. Especially when it comes to releasing. Compared to their sublabel Highr Music. Also haven't really bought into Planetarium as a company. Not compared to most of their contemporaries.

MakotoYuki

Oct 28, 2017
Yup. Those also did quite well for them. As have the various Station tracks. Stans are just super weird these days. They see it like an existential crisis for their favorite group or something.
This isn't the same situation. Stations are special releases with little impact on their schedules, this is a new group with aggressive promotions according to articles.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't the same situation. Stations are special releases with little impact on their schedules, this is a new group with aggressive promotions according to articles.

Yes, but none of this is going to bother their existing groups. Shinee and EXO literally can't promote as full groups because most of them are in the military, and NCT/WayV are going to be fine. They're just back to working Mark like he's in 127/Dream again, and Taeyong is along for the ride. It's mostly a stopgap solution for the first two groups.

Much ado about nothing.

Let's look at the tape. And why "the Avengers" label was used.

"This is a total new formation of a group and artist, and also a totally new form for the business," Chris Lee, who serves as an A&R executive at SM, on the label's board of directors and as CEO of Culture Technology Group Asia Europe, reflected to Forbes after the presentation. "We're maintaining their groups, their solo careers, and on top of this we have this 'Avengers' group to pull them together. There's already an Iron-Man, a Thor, etc; and just like how the Avengers can have their own successful movies, there is a different kind of energy when they are together as the Avengers. We are now creating that as a point of business. We want to create a synergy between their groups, them as solo acts, and the Super M group to create a big wave in this K-pop industry."

When it comes to those fans with worries about the individual groups or artists, the executive says everyone is cognizant but excitedly hopeful in what may seem like a complicated time. "We understand what they're worried about, definitely, and the artists themselves do too. We're trying to turn those concerns into excitement. Right now, the artists themselves are sympathizing, but recognize that this is a way to connect with a lot of fans, including K-pop fans in general. We're trying to satisfy all with well-made content and we're confident in that."

Basically, the MCU as K-pop.

Last edited:

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
"▷ M/V Release 2019.08.14 00:00 "
Crazy that there would be such a gap. But damn, I love it already. They're officially in my Top 5 now. None of there comebacks have disappointed me.

--------------------------------

These live stages are great:

This has been a pretty crazy week for me. Both of these tracks will be in my playlist for the rest of the year because they have that "x" factor that I can never put my finger on. They just don't get old to me. I know it's weird to say that after a day or two, but I can already tell.

Kind of like how I can still listen to "TT" or "RBB".

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
There's only one Kpop Avenger group I'll recognize, and it's those girls:

Anybody using the term Avengers in Kpop and not referring to those 7 girls is just usurpating identity and should be sued.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I think they need a legendary song. The line-up doesn't matter if the song(s) aren't god-tier. So for me, this is the best "project" group in k-pop:

Crazy that a video game company made one of the hardest k-pop songs in recent memory. We're living in strange times.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I think they need a legendary song. The line-up doesn't matter if the song(s) aren't god-tier. So for me, this is the best "project" group in k-pop:

Crazy that a video game company made one of the hardest k-pop songs in recent memory. We're living in strange times.

POP/STARS is easily one of the very best Kpop song of the decade.
What it has is: 2 extremely strong main vocalists. Not the kind you easily find in nowadays girl groups. I ain't seeing impressive main vocalists in all the groups that debuted this year, and... sadly they're absolutely needed in order to add flair, attitude, style and climax to a song. Miyeon is supposed to be (G)I-dle's main vocal, and she's nowhere near Jaira & Madison's vocal level, in my opinion. Both of those girls add so much to the song, and pushed it to god-tier.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
What it has is: 2 extremely strong main vocalists. Not the kind you easily find in nowadays girl groups. I ain't seeing impressive main vocalists in all the groups that debuted this year, and... sadly they're absolutely needed in order to add flair, attitude, style and climax to a song. Miyeon is supposed to be (G)I-dle's main vocal, and she's nowhere near Jaira & Madison's vocal level, in my opinion. Both of those girls add so much to the song, and pushed it to god-tier.

I'm still waiting for KDA part 2. They told us there'd be more after it became a huge hit, but it's almost a year and nothing since.

MakotoYuki

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, but none of this is going to bother their existing groups. Shinee and EXO literally can't promote as full groups because most of them are in the military, and NCT/WayV are going to be fine. They're just back to working Mark like he's in 127/Dream again, and Taeyong is along for the ride. It's mostly a stopgap solution for the first two groups.

Much ado about nothing.

Let's look at the tape. And why "the Avengers" label was used.

Basically, the MCU as K-pop.
EXO started their tour last month and is preparing a new album, besides solo activities (Baekhyun just debuted and SM made his promotions short, Kai said multiple times in the last 2 years that he's going to have a solo album, yet it never comes). Taemin has a prolific solo career (new japanese album next month). So they have better things to do than promote NCT.
Also, the NCT members selection is so weird, 3 rappers and a dancer, only 2 vocalists in the group.

cubistic

Oct 27, 2017

Vocals are just not a priority in the scene compared to visuals and dancing. Because let's be honest, sex sells. As long as they look good and dance good, you can autotune the rest.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Strong vocalists don't even push strong pop songs.

Jaira and Madison aren't setting the US pop charts on fire. They're literal nobodies in the pop music landscape.

And the killing part of K/DA has always been the rap.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Vocals are just not a priority in the scene compared to visuals and dancing. Because let's be honest, sex sells. As long as they look good and dance good, you can autotune the rest.

Yeah except autotune can only ever fix so much, let's be real. You can't fake Taeyeon/Solar level of vocals with autotune.
But yeah, visuals are 100% a priority in Kpop, and the chances for a main vocal to ALSO fit the beauty standards makes it... difficult to find. So they rather add another visual member with average vocals instead.

Strong vocalists don't even push strong pop songs.

Jaira and Madison aren't setting the US pop charts on fire. They're literal nobodies in the pop music landscape.

And the killing part of K/DA has always been the rap.

There's no weak part in POP/STARS, and while the rap is a highlight, so is the chorus, being extremely epic as well, and Soyeon/Miyeon take no part in that for the most time. Also the US market is vastly different to the Kpop one, if Jaira & Madison aren't thriving there, it's for a multitude of reasons that aren't tied to their vocal abilities. But take their performance away from POP/STARS, and you have, at best, a slightly ok UPRS3 song, but defo not the perfection that POP/STAR actually is, that I'm sure of.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
The rap is good, but their vocals take it to the next level. Honestly, I think everyone involved did an excellent job.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
The biggest female soloists (And that includes idols) in the last decade are IU and Heize. Two non idols with very little vocal talent between them.

Vocal ability, really does not matter.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Soyeon and Madison make KDA work, Jaira and Miyeon could've easily been replaced.

Jaira actually brings all the flair in the chorus, (since she's mainly the one singing it) and it's a different flair from Madison, yet complementary. Miyeon, while having a nice enough voice, has too much of a cute/nice/soft tone (a kind of tone overwhelmingly present in Kpop because god forbid women can sing fiercely in Kpop and appeal to the GP doing so!) to fit the fierceness of the song properly, imo. She doesn't stand out or ruin it though, so I'm ok with her, but she's mostly the one easily replaceable to me, while the other 3, not so much.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Park Bom is league beneath Minzy and even CL as a singer.

She absolutely crushes both as a soloist.

And she definitely ain't doing it off of sex appeal.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Who is talking about sales? In that regard--they don't matter. We're talking about the song quality. Better vocals don't always equal a better song, but it can make one much better when everything else is in place.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
The belief that vocal talent plays any part in POP that's a myth wrapped in a lie packaged in a fable.

Status
Not open for further replies.