• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Can't forget Taeyeon, a vocal goddess.
They both outsell Taeyeon in the public market.

The point is that vocal capability has very little impact on who tops the charts. You got Taeyeon, but she's surrounded by IU, Heize, and Sunmi

Artists who make great songs, but don't even come within 100 miles of her in vocal talent.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
The belief that vocal talent plays any part in POP that's a myth wrapped in a lie packaged in a fable.

It can, but it's true that it doesn't always have to. However, when you're into the territory of trying to bring strong songs to life, a talented main vocal can do the difference in attitude, sound and flair. There's a reason Mariah, and Ariana are pop queens, their voices can take them there and do such a genre with extreme ease. You seldom see girls singing like Ariana in Kpop, mostly because companies create their group to fit a certain mold, in which fierce vocals aren't a priority at all. Soft, cute and crystal vocals are. Except for Mamamoo, basically one of the only group where every girl has a vocal tone that deviates a bit from the norm, it's refreshing to listen to them at times.

IU and Heize are absolutely irrevelant examples, they're in a much different genre and ballpark. Bring their name back to the table the second they try to release a song similar to POP/STARS.

Dobbie078

Oct 28, 2017

The point is that vocal capability has very little impact on who tops the charts. You got Taeyeon, but she's surrounded by IU, Heize, and Sunmi

Artists who make great songs, but don't even come within 100 miles of her in vocal talent.

Heize outselling Taeyeon, for real?

MakotoYuki

Oct 28, 2017

I think people like them because of their style, while others like Taeyeon or Ailee are liked because of their vocals.

PS: you sure Heize outsold Taeyeon post You, I, Clouds, Rain?

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
EXO started their tour last month and is preparing a new album, besides solo activities (Baekhyun just debuted and SM made his promotions short, Kai said multiple times in the last 2 years that he's going to have a solo album, yet it never comes). Taemin has a prolific solo career (new japanese album next month). So they have better things to do than promote NCT.
Also, the NCT members selection is so weird, 3 rappers and a dancer, only 2 vocalists in the group.
I know about all of those things. You've literally just listed why you shouldn't worry about Super M, which... hey... was the point. (The EXO Tour is also very weird, because it's down to six of nine. Probably a push for more solo and subunit stuff.)

The point is, don't worry. They get some US play, and then they go back to doing their own thing. Again, a non-issue.

The belief that vocal talent plays any part in POP that's a myth wrapped in a lie packaged in a fable.
Ballads tend to do pretty in Korea specifically. They just tend not to do as well worldwide. But yeah... you right.

My girl is more in the quirky artsy sensual genre, but hey that's just how I'd classify her, and that's very objective, obviously.
Taeminland.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
When will PSY have anything to show to the public from his company? Jessi, Hyuna and E'Dawn have all signed for quite some time now.

MakotoYuki

Oct 28, 2017
I know about all of those things. You've literally just listed why you shouldn't worry about Super M, which... hey... was the point. (The EXO Tour is also very weird, because it's down to six of nine. Probably a push for more solo and subunit stuff.)

The point is, don't worry. They get some US play, and then they go back to doing their own thing. Again, a non-issue.
It's affecting their own stuff. Their tour has a 2 month break end october - end december, probably that'll be Super M promoting period. This also means 2019 will be the first year without an EXO comeback since 2012 and another 1+ year hiatus.

Only NCT members have something to gain from this project, for the others is a waste of time when they're close to enlisting.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
It's affecting their own stuff. Their tour has a 2 month break end october - end december, probably that'll be Super M promoting period. This also means 2019 will be the first year without an EXO comeback since 2012 and another 1+ year hiatus.

Only NCT members have something to gain from this project, for the others is a waste of time when they're close to enlisting.

I wouldn't want an EXO comeback without D.O and Xiumin to be perfectly honest. So... *shrug* Win-win all around.

But you seem steadfast in your issues with it. Carry on. It'll happen regardless.

LJKO

Nov 16, 2017
It still weird to me how SM became the hiphop big 3 company over night.
They need to get back to the good old days and I prefer R&B. I've been out of the loop with Boy Groups since DBSK/TVXQ and I like Big Bang earlier songs but I've been on and off with Boy groups, thou lately I'm starting to ease myself after going to BTS concert last year. Anyways I need to ask for some recommendations on what boy groups I should listen to, as well as song song recommendations that are Hiphop/R&B and Ballad. Thx ^_^

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Me saying they're hiphop doesn't not ignore that they're heavily r&b

cause they also have more r&b artists than either of the other big two or most kpop companies.

OP
OP
llehuty

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017

You are being delusional. EXO wasn't going to get a comeback this year as 6, Taemin isn't going to get another solo. This is a good opportunity of cross promoting and is completrly inconsequential unless it suddenly blows up in popularity.

The thread is taking a sharp turn to ridiculous hot takes and pointless discussions. C'mon guys, we can do better than this.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
They need to get back to the good old days and I prefer R&B. I've been out of the loop with Boy Groups since DBSK/TVXQ and I like Big Bang earlier songs but I've been on and off with Boy groups, thou lately I'm starting to ease myself after going to BTS concert last year. Anyways I need to ask for some recommendations on what boy groups I should listen to, as well as song song recommendations that are Hiphop/R&B and Ballad. Thx ^_^

R&B/Hiphop
Check the solo stuff. Baekhyun's solo track:

Taeyong's Station track is still pop, but it's got a good vibe. Bewhy's Gottasadae. The new track released today from Jay Park and crew is tight, it's actually a few different songs together. Gaho - Fly in that Frank Ocean range.

Ballad
Chen's solo was a good pull on the Ballad side.

Kim Jae Hwan - Begin Again
Ha Sung Woon - Think of You
Jeong Sewoon - Good Night

And you're a TVXQ fan, they're still out there. U-Know's solo single track was jammin'.

Last edited:

LJKO

Nov 16, 2017
Damn Solji T_T, Congrats on the win because you deserve it.

And you're a TVXQ fan, they're still out there. U-Know's solo single track was jammin'.

Yes i'm a DBSK/TBXQ fan so Thx, I'll check it out in a bit.

Damn Yoochun have to fuck it up with his scandal, Now we have to wait longer. Going cry in the corner while listening to this

Last edited:

SynthBpm

Oct 30, 2017
Silver Spring
talking about (g)-idle and vocal texture, while Soteon's raps are def a main attraction there, Yuqi's vocals are my fave bit of their singing 'cause she actually does a fair amount of texture.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I mean the main selling point of (g)i-dle early on was their wide range of vocal tones.

It helped their brand that every girl with the exception of Miyeon and Shuhua had starkly different sounding voices.

questionmark

Oct 25, 2017

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Video views are getting weird. Bungee already has 10 million views after two days, Remember Me has 9.3 after like 8 months. But more likes. Is 1thek using the video as an ad?

Idk, views just seem so meaningless now. Even Black Pink's seem inflated by fans just streaming all day just to reach some arbitrary goal.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Video views are getting weird. Bungee already has 10 million views after two days, Remember Me has 9.3 after like 8 months. But more likes. Is 1thek using the video as an ad?

Idk, views just seem so meaningless now. Even Black Pink's seem inflated by fans just streaming all day just to reach some arbitrary goal.

It's simply hard to tell sometimes is views are organic plays, or the sign of a fervent fandom that will push their biases songs hard. The trick is the fervent fans sometimes also translate to actual sales. Which is to say, views aren't completely useless, but should come with a footnote.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
It's simply hard to tell sometimes is views are organic plays, or the sign of a fervent fandom that will push their biases songs hard. The trick is the fervent fans sometimes also translate to actual sales. Which is to say, views aren't completely useless, but should come with a footnote.
True. Hopefully OMG's repackage does well.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Never heard of her, but she was on Idol School and just came out as bisexual on her Instagram:

Cool. It'll be good when idols can just openly admit stuff like this. Think it'll take some major one just coming out.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Tiki Taka is super addictive. I can't wait for the MV, it's a shame they kinda messed up the release of both, but oh well. I'll still jam to it in the meantime.

Never heard of her, but she was on Idol School and just came out as bisexual on her Instagram:

Cool. It'll be good when idols can just openly admit stuff like this. Think it'll take some major one just coming out.

I'm so happy about this truly. Holland and now her, slowly but surely Korea gets openly LGBT Kpop idols.
I guess I now have to stan because bi girls support bi girls, aight.

No No Eul

Oct 26, 2017
BTS Announces Official Period Of Rest For Members

On the one hand, it's nice that a K-pop group is officially getting some time off for once. On the other hand, it's kinda tragic that
  1. this is their first extended break since 2013
  2. a press release is required to announce they're having a break
  3. their time off will only be brief anyway
Still, I guess it's progress.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

It's nice to see each of them winning an award.

Finally got to listen to Rocket Punch and enjoyed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.