• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which movie should I watch tonight

• War of the Gargantuans

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Godzilla Vs. Monster Zero

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Terror of Mechagodzilla

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DHR54

Oh well.
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Hey Reset Era this is a thread for any bored Kaiju film fans,

I realize I went all of October without busting out my Kaiju collection. I have about 6 hours and a box of beer to kill on this glorious night. Looking friends who wanna participate in a continued conversation as I watch some classic Toho films. I wanted to connect on the forum here and watch a movie or two as group chat, test the waters for some Kaiju love. I don't know if it will really work but at least we have an opportunity to have a discussion about Kaiju and Tokusatsu media. Anyways my timeframe to start is pretty much asap, nut I wanted to reach out and see if anybody wants me to wait speak up and we can start the films at the same time. If thread doesn't get any snags I won't be offended.

So I really wanted to open with something classic so I narrowed my opening movie down to three choices, and I was at least hoping to get some input on making a choice between these films. At least toward picking which I should watch first.

Option A: War of the Gargantuans.
YyAhY.jpeg

One of what I consider the golden age of Toho monster movies. It just seems to have been made at the right time, when the original Toho studio was really hitting a stride for the quality of the effects work it was using and it still has all the original key creative figures behind classics such as Godzilla.

I originally saw this movie super late. Years after I had seen every single other Godzilla movie. I believe it was about the same released in high quality English DVD about 12 years ago paired with a copy of Rodan. I don't hold a lot of nostalgia for this title but I have always loved it.

High points: For me they would be, the quality of suits of the monsters, an absolutely fun melee brawl at the films end and the first appearance of several pieces of music and some footage that was creatively recycled in later Showa era Godzilla films.

Low points: There is an absolutely awful English song sung in this movie. Overall the movie doesn't move at the fastest pace.

Option B: Godzilla vs. Monster Zero.
kQqGO.jpeg

Another great golden era Kaiju film, one staring Godzilla, Rodan, Ghidorah, Astronauts Glenn and Fuji and something like 20 minutes of some really noisy trucks.

When I was a kid I was absolutely blown away when Monster Zero was reviealed to the dreaded King Ghidorah. Maybe the 10th Godzilla movie I ever saw it was fantastic as I was already a fan of Ghidorah from Godzilla Vs Gigan.

High points: Sci-fi story with Fun twists, tons of iconic Godzilla moments and themes. Awesome character, The

Low points: In my older age now I have truly no love for the sound of those damn trucks.

Option C: Terror of Mechagodzilla.
qnc7K.jpeg

The final film in the original run of Showa films, It always felt like a heavy movie with its darker story.
The effect work is more of a return to form but it certainly does feel like a farewell film as it brought the original films to a close. Released in '75 it's kind of crazy to think that just two years later the world of cinima would change forever with the release of the original Star Wars, forever adding adding to a stigma that Japanese Tokusatsu media has cheesy or out of date effects.

As a child the two showa Mechagodzilla movies were absolutely the cream of the crop to me. The complete annihilation that the Mechagodzilla could dish out was always impressive and it always seemed to have another trick up its sleeve. Godzilla himself is also a great suit, and he is presented with a great amount of mobility and resilience.

High points: Mechagodzilla creates carnage and destruction. New comer Titanasaurus is a beautifully made suit. Fun human characters.

Low points: A miner gripe but the movie has a great but absolutely repetitive soundtrack. Really hard for me to chose between the subs or dub with this one.

Honorable Mentions and possible follow up movies: Varan, King Kong escapes, GMK and DAM.

Well I hope to hear from ERA, hopefully we have some fans with the time and we can all watch some great Kaiju media tonight. At the very least chime in let's here your thoughts on these movies or your own experiences coming into these films.

Last edited:

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I have no experience with War of the Gargantuans (other than seeing pictures of it from time to time), but of the two Godzilla movies, I'd pick Monster Zero. If only because I love the set design of Planet X and I'm constantly impressed by the amount of work put into making Ghidora work onscreen. It's not as good as the original Ghidora, the Three Headed Monster though, and it uses a bit more stock footage than I'd like, but it's still a good movie.

Should definitely follow up with GMK though. Fantastic movie.

OP
OP
DHR54

DHR54

Oh well.
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Points noted.

Seek out a copy of Gargantuans. It's definitely worth watching if your a fan of the genre. Even with its slow pacing.

Planet X is a fantastic set piece, in fact the whole movie is one of my favorites not surprised when I felt like watching it today. They did great work making all the landscapes and the interiors of the X alien base. Well except for maybe the "Gold" room with the rocks and the two women, always thought that looks too much like a set. The extra clear DVD doesn't help that.

Edit: I'm definitely leaning towards Monster Zero just waiting for my friend to get home. Definitely looking forward to the music, sound track is such a masterpiece.
rfEvG.gif

Disappointed that couldn't get a conversation going but oh well. Reach out to me if there are any more fans of Kaiju stuff and we can get a thread going.

Movie has started. Decided to go with the English Dub, I like Nick Adams in English.

Edit 2. Astronaut Fuji is descending into the X alien base. "Follow the light, the light is your guide"

Last edited:

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I would go with Terror of Mechagodzilla followed by GMK.
But since there's alcohol involved, you should end the night with vs Megalon if you have it.

I've never seen War of the Gargantuans, it's one of the "Frankenstein" Toho films, right?

passepied joe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never seen War of the Gargantuans, it's one of the "Frankenstein" Toho films, right?

Yes, it's loosely connected to Frankenstein Conquers The World. Both were co-produced by Henry G. Saperstein and feature western actors. DVDs for both are out of print so watching them legally is a bit of a hassle nowadays. They're pretty good and it's nice to see the crew able to make bigger, more detailed miniatures due to the smaller monsters.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Yes, it's loosely connected to Frankenstein Conquers The World. Both were co-produced by Henry G. Saperstein and feature western actors. DVDs for both are out of print so watching them legally is a bit of a hassle nowadays. They're pretty good and it's nice to see the crew able to make bigger, more detailed miniatures due to the smaller monsters.
Thanks for the info.
Yeah, some of the non-Godzilla / Gamera films are really hard to track down.

OP
OP
DHR54

DHR54

Oh well.
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I watched Monster Zero as said, just stopped to watch hockey. Almost over not sure what to jump to next.

since there's alcohol involved, you should end the night with vs Megalon if you have it.

I like doing "The Beam Game" when I drink to beam and energy weapon use. Megalon is great for that haha.

Still leaning towards Gargantuans.