• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yebele

Nov 2, 2017
can't believe they turned yuko into a vegetable whille haruo went on glorious exotic native sexcapades

smh what the fuck even was this movie

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I'll be watching it this weekend.
And yeah, considering the first two, I expect maximum weirdness.
These movies aren't exactly great but I love the insane concepts they awkwardly try to explore.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
planet eater was weird
can't believe they turned yuko into a vegetable whille haruo went on glorious exotic native sexcapades

smh what the fuck even was this movie

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was either disappointed or found this movie to be weird. These movies have made me more hype for king of the monsters because of how disappointed they've left me

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
So it sounds like part 2 and part 3 weren't that good? To be honest I've delayed checking them out because the first movie didn't really do much for me

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I probably enjoyed part 3 the most out of the trilogy. As a whole I didn't think the trilogy worked but I at least appreciated the different approach they tried.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
"Have you heard the good news about King Ghidorah?"

Well, what a fascinating clusterfuck of a finale that was. As expected. I kinda enjoyed it, and it was not nearly as boring as the first two, the movie really flew by fast. It was very Kojima-esque but without the goofy charm. So many great ideas buried under several layers of overly complicated nonsense.

What they did with Ghidorah was great. A full-on cosmic Lovecratian approach.
I loved the bit where his very presence was fucking with the rules of reality so much that time was out of whack.
There was a real sense of dread and majesty as he was materializing on Earth. Honestly, I'd love to see that kind of approach in a live-action film.
And props to them for going full-on nihilistic at the end.

I wonder how this trilogy was budgeted because this looked like they had ran out of money at times. It looked much cheaper than the second one.

Also, was one of the songs from Aoi Teshima? It sounded like her but I can't find her name (or any info about the soundtrack really) on imdb.

Anyway, I'll remember this trilogy as a noble failure with some great moments here and there and some concepts that I hope will be revisited elsewhere. It was not exactly good but it was bold as fuck at the very least.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These Godzilla movies on Netflix seem they would of worked better as comic miniseries, something where the issue of pacing and budget limit can't stop it from going all out

Oct 27, 2017
i didnt mind the first and second but thr third was nothing but boring exposition what they did with Ghidorah was cool at first but then it just went on and on and I kept waiting for an actual fight that never came.

Nov 5, 2017
Watched it last night with some friends and I've got mixed feelings.

I strongly disliked the first two, but really liked what they did with Ghidorah in this one: reimagining him as a Lovecraftian cosmic horror is an incredible take on the character. I thought the soundtrack was especially on-point when Ghidorah first emerges from the void (also the theme used in the opening title animation, both of which gave off some serious Annihilation vibes). The scene of them "calling" him on Earth was great as well. Definitely the most interesting version of Ghidorah since the Showa run.

Everything with the humans went pretty much as expected; Haruo might be the worst anime protagonist since Shinji Ikari.

Last edited:

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
First movie was OK, second was just a chore, the third was so insane I liked it, like a lot. I really love these high concepts in a fucking Godzilla movie. It doesn't reach the levels of Shin Godzilla (still the best movie in the franchise by far), but the representation of King Ghidorah in this one is actually extremely interesting and damn, kind of scary. Lovecraftian, basically. The real problem is the pacing. The fight is like 20 minutes long but it's essentially three bites and a couple of lasers. Lol.
I like how they left something only teased like Mothra, I could see this becoming an anime series with much shorter episodes, like 20 or so minutes, exploring the mythology.
I dunno I just like and respect it a lot when they take such an obvious, cemented franchise like Godzilla and completely destroy it to rebuild it from the ground up as something totally different.

Oct 27, 2017
X-Plus Gigantic Series Godzilla 2019 incoming, so there goes several hundred bucks:

ablg4zwj5nf21.jpg

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
In a bizarre move, NECA is deciding not to do a King Ghidorah figure. I really wanted to see an alternative option to the Monsterarts version from them.

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
Got NECA's Godzilla 1962. If you collect Godzilla figures I highly recommend picking this one up, they did a great job on it. Here's my review of it.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Looks like i am watching godzilla 2 during eid holidays ToT
Why did this have to be in late may.....

Oct 25, 2017
FB_IMG_1554637003616.jpg

It looks like the rights to some Showa films expired which means Creiterion is probably trying to snatch them for a Showa Box Set.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Wait is someone teasing a bluray release of the entire Showa series?

If so it's about fucking time. It blows my mind that the Heisei era got a complete bluray release before Showa

Oct 25, 2017

If so it's about fucking time. It blows my mind that the Heisei era got a complete bluray release before Showa
It's just speculation, but that user has insider information and the rights to Sea Monster, Hedorah and Gigan apparently expired, and Criterion will likely try to pick them up.

They already have the remaining Showa films besides Kong vs. Godzilla 62 and they've been silent on a box set or home media releases since they acquired those films about a year ago.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Wait the Heisei era has a full Blu-ray release?? With Japanese dubs? I've been looking for a japanese dub of godzilla vs biollante

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Wait the Heisei era has a full Blu-ray release?? With Japanese dubs? I've been looking for a japanese dub of godzilla vs biollante
*Checks amazon*

Well it had a bluray release but apparently it was a limited run. I guess it's out of print now.

Return of Godzilla got a bluray release roughly 2 or 3 years ago to complete that series. I was shocked it happened since that movie was basically trapped in licensing hell.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Sony has released most of the Heisei films on Blu Ray which were pretty average releases PQ wise.

I'm pretty sure LionsGate has the rights to Biollante, which is out of print and super expensive. While Kraken has Godzilla 1984 and Sony released the rest of the Heisei films and the Millineum series on Blu Ray.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
*Checks amazon*

Well it had a bluray release but apparently it was a limited run. I guess it's out of print now.

Return of Godzilla got a bluray release roughly 2 or 3 years ago to complete that series. I was shocked it happened since that movie was basically trapped in licensing hell.

Yes. Sony has released most of the Heisei films on Blu Ray which were pretty average releases PQ wise.

I'm pretty sure LionsGate has the rights to Biollante, which is out of print and super expensive. While Kraken has Godzilla 1984 and Sony released the rest of the Heisei films and the Millineum series on Blu Ray.

Fuck. Godzilla vs Biollante is one my favorites from the heisei era. Thanks anyways guys.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I really wonder how much more steam the Legendary Monsterverse has in it after Godzilla vs. Kong. They'll have used the biggest names that are at their disposal, aside from Mechagodzilla. Rodan, Mothra, Ghidorah, Kong. I could see a movie with Destroyah or Biollante being somewhat successful, but I think the success or the Monsterverse will have definitely peaked with KotM and Godzilla vs. Kong.

Could a standalone Rodan or Mothra draw good numbers at the Box Office? I wouldn't think so.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really wonder how much more steam the Legendary Monsterverse has in it after Godzilla vs. Kong. They'll have used the biggest names that are at their disposal, aside from Mechagodzilla. Rodan, Mothra, Ghidorah, Kong. I could see a movie with Destroyah or Biollante being somewhat successful, but I think the success or the Monsterverse will have definitely peaked with KotM and Godzilla vs. Kong.

Could a standalone Rodan or Mothra draw good numbers at the Box Office? I wouldn't think so.

Mothra maybe, Rodan most likely not.
I would like Biollante to come back though. She's a forgotten gem from the Heisei era

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017

In a perfect world standalone Rodan and Mothra movies would be great, but as popular as these characters are they still don't have as much mainstream appeal/attention as many superheroes. This may change with KoTM, at least I hope it does. Dougherty seems to have really tried to give these monsters personality, so who knows. If not hopefully Toho is able to pull off their own successful universe after 2020 with independent movies for a bunch of monsters.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Pending what happens in Godzilla 2, I think jumping to MechaGodzilla would be a tough sell unless they go back to the "MG is an alien robot" route given the tech of the world at this point

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pending what happens in Godzilla 2, I think jumping to MechaGodzilla would be a tough sell unless they go back to the "MG is an alien robot" route given the tech of the world at this point

Shhhhh, stop with your logic and reasoning, I just want a Godzilla vs badass robotic Godzilla fight.

I'd settle for Gigan, I guess.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Shhhhh, stop with your logic and reasoning, I just want a Godzilla vs badass robotic Godzilla fight.

I'd settle for Gigan, I guess.
To be honest, Alien MechaGodzilla would be a welcoming return since OG MechaGodzilla is still the best looking one

hqdefault.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I think we need to see what happens to the Monsterverse after KOTM and GvK. I have heard that Legendary has the rights to Mechagodzilla from Toho when they got Ghidorah, Rodan, Etc. So if any monster appears in the Monster Verse he'll likely be the first contender.

For now we have to settle for the Ready Player One version

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think we need to see what happens to the Monsterverse after KOTM and GvK. I have heard that Legendary has the rights to Mechagodzilla from Toho when they got Ghidorah, Rodan, Etc. So if any monster appears in the Monster Verse he'll likely be the first contender.

For now we have to settle for the Ready Player One version

Wow I'm glad I didn't watch that movie. Also that MG reminded me of Reptar lol.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah MG looks weird in RPO.

Considering ever other reference in this movie looks almost 1:1 like their original version it's weird that MechaGodzilla looks like none of its previous versions
I remember hearing someone say they couldn't get the rights to any of the existing designs but it's weird they could get the name?

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah MG looks weird in RPO.

Considering ever other reference in this movie looks almost 1:1 like their original version it's weird that MechaGodzilla looks like none of its previous versions
For whatever reason Toho told them to try to emulate the Mechagodzilla from the Heisei poster.

godzilla_vs_mechagodzilla_ii.jpg

My only problem with the final design is it's more of a Robot Godzilla than a "Mecha" version of him.