• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
So apparently my local AMC is playing Rocketman on their Dolby Cinema screen instead of Godzilla... IMAX it is.

Got mine and yeah I see what you mean... The AMC I go to (newer and very close to me) has Imax and no Dolby... the Imax seats suck though, but I wanted to make use of some premium tickets I had from previous returns I've made (friends couldn't make it). Only like, one AMC in the area has Dolby, but it's older and further away, so I'd rather not :x

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
Got mine and yeah I see what you mean... The AMC I go to (newer and very close to me) has Imax and no Dolby... the Imax seats suck though, but I wanted to make use of some premium tickets I had from previous returns I've made (friends couldn't make it). Only like, one AMC in the area has Dolby, but it's older and further away, so I'd rather not :x

Yep same situation, the IMAX seats are like old theater style seats... the Dolby one is amazing. Kinda annoys me because a lot of the ads for Godzilla have "Dolby Cinema" at the end. Went ahead and bought IMAX tickets though, and in terms of location in the theater I think its going to be a pretty amazing experience.

Also toy related, got the NECA Godzilla 2019. Its a good figure except for one major issue...the eyes.

Oct 25, 2017
Toho just reopened the Godzilla.com for the first time in years and added a bunch of merchandise stuff and pages with all of the various monsters of the franchise. It really takes me back to the 1998 days when they had the site open in anticipation for the Emmerich movie.

Rumor is that when the movie released someone from the production of that movie got in a verbal fight with fans on it's forums when the movie came out and was a stinker. In any case here's the link.

https://godzilla.com/

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Toho just reopened the Godzilla.com for the first time in years and added a bunch of merchandise stuff and pages with all of the various monsters of the franchise. It really takes me back to the 1998 days when they had the site open in anticipation for the Emmerich movie.

Rumor is that when the movie released someone from the production of that movie got in a verbal fight with fans on it's forums when the movie came out and was a stinker. In any case here's the link.

https://godzilla.com/

Ewwww I've seen those Jakks toys they have on the site at Walmart, and they are pretty bad... Gimme more Bandai Kids figures! I love that chibi style!

Oct 25, 2017
Ewwww I've seen those Jakks toys they have on the site at Walmart, and they are pretty bad... Gimme more Bandai Kids figures! I love that chibi style!
The more important thing is that Toho seems to be finally trying to advertise Godzilla here again instead of just sitting back with the American movies and then letting awareness drop between the films.

The Driver

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You know what sucks?

Knowing KOTM is probably gonna bomb or if not underwhelm at the BO, like Speed Racer, Mad Max, etc.

Seems like it's not really moving the needle looking at how full the screens are in my area :-(

I'm glad they left it all on the table for this one and Kong is already in the can mostly.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
You know what sucks?

Knowing KOTM is probably gonna bomb or if not underwhelm at the BO, like Speed Racer, Mad Max, etc.

Seems like it's not really moving the needle looking at how full the screens are in my area :-(

I'm glad they left it all on the table for this one and Kong is already in the can mostly.

Nah, i see a lot of people hype this more than ENDGAME.

I mean this is first time that we see Ghidora in decade and made by Hollywood !

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I think as long as KotM does $550+ million worldwide WB will be happy. The budget for this movie isn't much more than Godzilla 2014 and Skull Island and those movies finished in the $500 mil range

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
You know what sucks?

I don't understand why JP makes bank when it has not been good since 2, but this does not illicit any excitement.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand why JP makes bank when it has not been good since 2, but this does not illicit any excitement.

Jurassic franchise is basically the staple kaiju franchise for the west. Godzilla I mean, you had 1998... 2014 was a tease, between the first act ending, and the monster battle teased... I dunno. I think it'll do ok at the box office.

Oct 25, 2017
You know what sucks?

I've been keeping track on the box office forums, and presales have been pretty good with certain theaters owners from what I've heard. Not to mention Monsterverse films tend to track low and open bigger than predicted that happened for both Zilla 14 and Kong.

Don't start worrying about tracking numbers until the film comes out. I guarantee no one was calling for Godzilla 2014 to make 93 million for it's OW when it first came out.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Godzilla concept art for the upcoming movie looks incredible.

Concept Art

godzilla-king-monsters-concept-art-1.jpg

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
You know what sucks?

Eh. We already have a full trilogy guaranteed.
This is a kaiju golden age. We have a pretty damn good Hollywood monsterverse with 4 films so far, a netflix trilogy, one Toho film with probably more to come and the Pacific Rim franchise on the side.
Let's remember where we were back in 2004 when Final Wars bombed and enjoy the ride!

Also, Mad Max might not have made much of a profit, but I think most people -including Hollywood execs- would consider it a success story.
Speed Racer's fate is a tragedy though, that is certainly true :'(

JdFox17

Oct 26, 2017
G'damn, Ghidorah looks amazing in this. I really don't see the movie bombing. It probably won't do as well domestically as '14, but I could see it having better legs and doing better internationally. These movies aren't losing money and Toho seems eager to continue the partnership by opening their American branch.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Got tickets to see it early this Wednesday. I'm so hyped.

Jelly :x I hope my showing will be hyped for it, going on a Friday. I found that my End Game showing was more emotional than hype, with more cheers and sobs that cheering. When I saw 2014, there was some pretty big fans in there yelling like "OMG!!!" when he started turning blue to power up. It was a pretty fun showing, and I hope this one will be too.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
So the Mohtra steelbook is now only $13 on Amazon... still listed only with english but "Includes both the Japanese and U.S. edits of the film" throws me off. Any confirmation on an actual Japanese language track on it?

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

(For reference, this is a short film they shot at the Eiji Tsuburaya Museum last year, and should be available online "soon").

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
On my big rewatch (plus the ones I've missed) of all the Godzilla films for this month while awaiting King of the Monsters, I just passed Godzilla vs Destoroyah, definitely among my favourites, but I want to give a special shoutout to how amazing the entrance of Destoroyah's final form is. It's even better than King Ghidorah's famous fireball entrance in Ghidorah The Three Headed Monster (which they reused in other films because it looked great).

Oct 25, 2017
Advance screenings on next week (5/22) for AMC Stubs Premier members.

Redeemed passes don't guarantee admission, which is first-come, first-served.

Gonna go straight to my Dolby Cinema from work and hope I get lucky.

Damn, wish I had seen this sooner. There's one near me I totally could have gone to tonight.
Oh well. I've already got my tickets for next week so I'm good.

Baragon is my favorite now.

I want this to be canon.
This is canon to me now.

Leunamus

May 18, 2019
I got my copy of Aftershock yesterday (graphic novel prequel to KOTM)
I enjoyed. It fleshed out the MUTOs and their relationship to Godzilla.

Slackerchan

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
On my big rewatch (plus the ones I've missed) of all the Godzilla films for this month while awaiting King of the Monsters, I just passed Godzilla vs Destoroyah, definitely among my favourites, but I want to give a special shoutout to how amazing the entrance of Destoroyah's final form is. It's even better than King Ghidorah's famous fireball entrance in Ghidorah The Three Headed Monster (which they reused in other films because it looked great).

The last fight scene where Godzilla just tears Destroyah's shit up is just as fantastic. If the Legendary license is indeed extended, I really want to see them do Destroyah.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
The last fight scene where Godzilla just tears Destroyah's shit up is just as fantastic. If the Legendary license is indeed extended, I really want to see them do Destroyah.
Neither of them fit the more "realistic" or at least natural style of the MonsterVerse so I can't see them happening, but god damn would I like to see a Legendary Gigan or Mechagodzilla, given what a great job they've done on Mothra, Rodan and Ghidorah (and the G himself).

Slackerchan

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Neither of them fit the more "realistic" or at least natural style of the MonsterVerse so I can't see them happening, but god damn would I like to see a Legendary Gigan or Mechagodzilla, given what a great job they've done on Mothra, Rodan and Ghidorah (and the G himself).

Can you imagine Biollante?
Godzilla_vs._Biollante_-_Plant_Beast_Form_Biollante.jpg

Although I will say, they probably wouldn't need to do any drastic changes to the design there.

JdFox17

Oct 26, 2017
Ghidorah is still an alien, right? I remember some of the materials from SDCC hinting at his origin. If that's the case, I could see them escalating the more fantastical elements of the series and introducing Gigan and Mechagodzilla. But Biollante needs to be waiting in the wings soon. She just fits so perfectly with this Monsterverse.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Can you imagine Biollante?
Godzilla_vs._Biollante_-_Plant_Beast_Form_Biollante.jpg

Although I will say, they probably wouldn't need to do any drastic changes to the design there.
Yes, Biollante and Destoroyah's designs would need little tweaking to fit right into the MonsterVerse, they're already detailed and threatening looking. In fact they'd both benefit because their suits were so huge and bulky that they were relatively immobile on set. Ghidorah's only notable changes has been it being made less stocky and with different legs, courtesy of it no longer needing to accommodate the man in the suit, you could do wonders with similar tweaks to Biollante in particular.

Coincidentally Biollante/Destoroyah were my favourite of the Heisei films on this new rewatch.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't care for Awakening. Didn't like the art in Half-Century War, but I loved Rage Across Time. Art was amazing!

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
So what times are you guys going to KOTM? I think ill be seeing it 4 times between Thursday and Sunday night, with different people. First showing is next Thursday at 7:30 in IMAX. Wanted to do Dolby Cinema but they are only doing 1 showing a night with it, the rest are for Rocketman.