• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

phatmac

Dec 18, 2017
Just came of IMAX.
Godzilla: KOTM -
+Incredible effects and cinematography during the action scenes King Gidorah stole the movie
+Great soundtrack and obvious nostalgia for the classics
+Less mysterious than the first one so it feels more like a kaiju movie
+They do Godzilla right and give him the respect he deserves
+Tons of references and Easter eggs to the Toho movies
-Far too many human scenes that didn't make me feel much of anything besides Watanabe.
-Action scenes weren't long enough for me. Stop cutting from the fights between the monsters in order to see the humans
-Lots of jokes that land or fail depending on whoever sees it
-Too much time spent on the mother character, who has one of the most absurd reasons for acting like they do I've seen in a while.
Overall, this is a must see for any Kaiju fan as this is the first American Godzilla movie that really captures the spirit of the old movies with stunning effects and awesome moments. 8/10

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just returned from seeing KOTM as well. It really felt like a love letter to anyone that ever spent a Saturday afternoon glued to the TV watching a Godzilla marathon. So many little touches that really just makes you feel like you're watching a classic Showa era film. I loved it.

Oct 27, 2017
I managed to catch an advanced screening as well, and true to Mike Dougherty's phrasing, it really was a "monster opera" in every sense: grandiose, bombastic and even if a little melodramatic at times, nothing if not unabashed in its love for the King of the Monsters and his friends and foes alike.

It's also a completely balls-to-the-wall thrill ride with an absurdly high quotient of astonishingly shot kaiju-on-kaiju violence that the human element, (wisely), does just enough to thread together. Kyle Chandler, Vera Farmiga and company may get top billing, but the real stars of this thing more than get their due, and wonderfully enough, are even
credited as playing "themselves."

And don't get me started on how gratifying it was to finally hear Ifukube's Godzilla theme played to great effect throughout. I may or may not have gotten a bit misty-eyed, Bear McCreary, you magnificent bastard.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Spoil if you must, but we know Mothra's song will play due to the sountrack, but is there vocals???

Oct 25, 2017
Just came of IMAX.
+Incredible effects and cinematography during the action scenes King Gidorah stole the movie
-Far too many human scenes that didn't make me feel much of anything besides Watanabe.
-Action scenes weren't long enough for me. Stop cutting from the fights between the monsters in order to see the humans
-Too much time spent on the mother character, who has one of the most absurd reasons for acting like they do I've seen in a while.
Overall, this is a must see for any Kaiju fan as this is the first American Godzilla movie that really captures the spirit of the old movies with stunning effects and awesome moments. 8/10
I've known about the script since last year, but I'm glad it came together in the end and am officially hyped now.

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I knew we were in good hands with Michael Dougherty for KOTM when I read an interview with him a long while back where he was talking about designing the Toho monsters, the interviewer brought up having Ghidorah still shoot his yellow lightning, and Dougherty corrected him to say they're gravity beams. Instantly I knew, yeah, this guy is a fan.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I knew we were in good hands with Michael Dougherty for KOTM when I read an interview with him a long while back where he was talking about designing the Toho monsters, the interviewer brought up having Ghidorah still shoot his yellow lightning, and Dougherty corrected him to say they're gravity beams. Instantly I knew, yeah, this guy is a fan.

I actually watched Trick r Treat and Krampus last year around Halloween. While I wasn't a fan of Krampus, I loved Trick r Treat as it felt like a traditional Simpsons Treehouse of Horrors-style. I'm picky with horrors I actually enjoy and was like "if Godzilla KotM is as good as this I can't wait!" Add to the tidbits on him being a fan, and I haven't been worried at all. Promo material too has been top-notch!

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Just came of IMAX.
Are there really 17 other Kaiju?
A Godzilla vs Kong stinger?

Oct 25, 2017
On another note the Starz Encore Action is going to be showing classic Godzilla films starting next Tuesday at 6:30 pm to about 8 pm and will continue that using that time slot everyday until the KOTM releases.

It's a good way to catch up on some of the older films if you missed out on them.

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The soundtrack just unlocked for me and... woo boy is it something. McCreary has incorporated classic themes throughout. No spoilers obviously but classic Godzilla fans should be quite pleased with the music here.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I'm in as long as we get more than 8 minutes this time.

Say what you want about the horrible 1998 movie but at least it showed the Zilla beast alot. 2014 makes me nervous.

I don't mind if there's a lot of human plot and human story in it. That is been something this been part of Godzilla since the very first movie. But show me kajiu fights as a reward for the silly human plots.

I've been playing Godzilla Ps4 game for hours a day all week in prep. I am the Hype!

Fake edit:

Last edited:

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
Been listening to the soundtrack all day, love Godzilla's theme and Mothra's song.

Speaking of Mothra, here's my video on NECA's new figure.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I realized on my rewatch why Godzilla looks so much better in Vs Biollante than other films, even later Heisei ones; they animated his tongue, so it moves around when he roars instead of being static at the bottom of his mouth. It's a simple extra to the costume but it adds a lot of realism.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Been listening to the soundtrack all day, love Godzilla's theme and Mothra's song.

Speaking of Mothra, here's my video on NECA's new figure.

"I just have a thing for all things GMK."

You must be a good person.

11zznd.jpg

Jul 18, 2018
I realized on my rewatch why Godzilla looks so much better in Vs Biollante than other films, even later Heisei ones; they animated his tongue, so it moves around when he roars instead of being static at the bottom of his mouth. It's a simple extra to the costume but it adds a lot of realism.
Oh man I didn't even notice that and it's one of my favorite ones from the franchise. Subtle stuff like that really makes an indirect impression on us

Oct 25, 2017
They show other kaiju than the main 4. They don't really factor much into the movie besides building tension . They have a little teaser for the next movie. Nothing too exciting.
I've been hearing some complaints about the dumb plot and characters. Would you say it's better or worse than Skull Island or Pacific Rim? What do you see this making on Rotten Tomatoes?

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Are you only asking about the solo films?
Because the Rebirth of Mothra films are pretty tough to watch.
Yeah mainly her solo movies. i watched the Gamera Trilogy from the 90s and they were pretty solid.
Godzilla vs. Mothra the 64 version is probably the best one. I still haven't seen the original, but that's going to change when I get the steel book in the next month or so.

GMK is probably the second best one with her starring in it.
What's GMK stand for again?

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Yeah mainly her solo movies. i watched the Gamera Trilogy from the 90s and they were pretty solid.
Outside of the original film (which I haven't seen) I only know of the 90s Rebirth of Mothra trilogy. Those were meant for... Really young kids. It's basically the opposite of the Gamera trilogy. Which is fine of course. But yeah, they're not great. Maybe try the first one if you can find it for cheap.

All of Mothra's appearances in Godzilla films are quite enjoyable.
The original Godzilla vs Mothra film from the 60s, the first Ghidorah movie, Tokyo SOS, GMK, etc.