• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

phatmac

Dec 18, 2017
I've been hearing some complaints about the dumb plot and characters. Would you say it's better or worse than Skull Island or Pacific Rim? What do you see this making on Rotten Tomatoes?
The main characters are fine. The issue is the mother who I won't spoil, but her reason for doing what she does in the movie is absurd. It sounds like something that's come from a bad video game/anime. The Asian actors are the standouts and Ken Watanabe continues to be the best. The plot is okay, but it has some dumb moments. I dislike kids in movies so the main girl annoyed me with the stupid thing she does at the end of the movie. It's better than Skull Island, but Pacific Rim has a more loveable cast. The action and cg will probably give this movie a 80-85% on RT. The plot is a generic Hollywood family movie, but the action scenes make it worth watching. /SPOILER]

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Does Rodan ever directly interact with Godzilla? Any sort of clash of these Titans? None of the officially released media have shown Godzilla and Rodan sharing the same space.

That would be a pretty big missed opportunity if so.

giphy.webp

Oct 25, 2017
Does Rodan ever directly interact with Godzilla? Any sort of clash of these Titans? None of the officially released media have shown Godzilla and Rodan sharing the same space.

giphy.webp
He fights with Mothra mostly from what I heard and at the end Godzilla scares him into submission after a certain plot point.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017

giphy.webp
I saw an interview today were
Rodan changes teams, Im really afraid he starts good, then changes to gidorah's team, so i hope is the other way round.
I love Rodan but he seems to be getting the short end of the stick in this movie. Is also the only mosnter were his original music is not tributed in his new theme.

The entire soundtrack is up on youtube.

jamesfrancosogood.gif
I only heard parts of it, becuase i want to hear it first in the movie but can you confirm if there is a tribute to Ifukube's army march? Is one of my favourite themes from the older soundtrack and I would love if it was used for when the humans are helping the monters against gidorah. Although im afraid it sounds to "not serious" to modern stadnards and thats why its probably not on there.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I saw an interview today were
Rodan changes teams, Im really afraid he starts good, then changes to gidorah's team, so i hope is the other way round.
I love Rodan but he seems to be getting the short end of the stick in this movie. Is also the only mosnter were his original music is not tributed in his new theme.

I only heard parts of it, becuase i want to hear it first in the movie but can you confirm if there is a tribute to Ifukube's army march? Is one of my favourite themes from the older soundtrack and I would love if it was used for when the humans are helping the monters against gidorah. Although im afraid it sounds to "not serious" to modern stadnards and thats why its probably not on there.

As far as Rodan is concerned, don't worry; he makes the absolute most out of his screentime and is portrayed just fantastically. I, too, am a huge fan of his, (second only to the Big G), and wasn't the least bit disappointed with how he was handled here. I just love that irritable, roguish firebird.

Regarding the film's use of Ifukube's theme, again, don't fret; it is used throughout and to great effect, including
at least one moment not unlike what you're describing.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
As far as Rodan is concerned, don't worry; he makes the absolute most out of his screentime and is portrayed just fantastically. I, too, am a huge fan of his, (second only to the Big G), and wasn't the least bit disappointed with how he was handled here. I just love that irritable, roguish firebird.

Regarding the film's use of Ifukube's theme, again, don't fret; it is used throughout and to great effect, including
at least one moment not unlike what you're describing.

Ok this is incredibly hype!
Coming a week later in my country so I will have to wait a little more. Is becomin unbereable.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Going to be posting the KOTM OT later this evening, open to suggestions on the title. So far I've got:

Godzilla: King of the Monsters |OT| Bend the knee
Godzilla: King of the Monsters |OT| The Monster is Zero
Godzilla: King of the Monsters |OT| Bow ya shits!

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Watching Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla and Tokyo SOS, they made the animatronics for Godzilla very uh, mobile, as a result he makes some truly silly facial expressions.

fFi68oP.png

lTXrl39.png

And I had to add a caption

7ZnvzaT.png

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Going to be posting the KOTM OT later this evening, open to suggestions on the title.

Godzilla: King of the Monsters |OT| Long Live the King (too obvious)
Godzilla: King of the Monsters |OT| Our Dragons Still Live (Dougherty actually made this joke in a tweet)
Godzilla: King of the Monsters |OT| Destroy Some Monsters
Godzilla: King of the Monsters |OT| Three Heads are better than One

and my favorite

Godzilla: King of the Monsters |OT| Let Them Fight.

References the movies, the meme, and the fact that there's a lot more monster wrasslin' in this one, something people thought was missing from the first...

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Going to be posting the KOTM OT later this evening, open to suggestions on the title. So far I've got:

Godzilla: King of the Monsters |OT| Bend the knee
Godzilla: King of the Monsters |OT| The Monster is Zero
Godzilla: King of the Monsters |OT| Bow ya shits!
|OT| We Know No King But The King of the Monsters Who's Name Is Godzilla

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I will never understand people who say that Skull Island is contemptuous. Its slightly worse then other monster movies at best.

Saturday is Godzilla day. Cant wait. Gonna rewatch Skull Island and Godzilla 14 over the next day and am already really excited for the later. A clear 5/5 for me and one of the best Godzilla movies.

Deleted member 27872

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Review thread has me worried, but ill probanly enjoy it. Also I didnt realize kong skull island was hated so much, I really enjoyed it.

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that sucks is how RT score killed off all the discussion that was going on beforehand. It was fun to talk Godzilla with all the casuals.

The Hollywood Godzilla movie curse continues though.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
The only thing that sucks is how RT score killed off all the discussion that was going on beforehand. It was fun to talk Godzilla with all the casuals.

The Hollywood Godzilla movie curse continues though.

Yeah, that's how you know how influential it all is :/ Hopefully people will still be curious enough to go check it out, anyways.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I still find it hilarious that a freakin' dreamcast was the most powerful computing device, from the gamera movie.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I like it but I can certainly understand why Godzilla 2014 is so polarizing. But yeah, some of the Kong Island reactions are so extreme for such an inoffensive film, it's weird. I don't care much for Kong but I enjoyed it a lot. It's a fun high budget b-movie.

The KotM reviews definitely affected my hype level lol. But hey, going in with lowered expectations is probably a good thing.
The RT% will never bother me in the slightest since who cares about consensus anyway but what some of the reviews mention seems pretty damning. Especially regarding the action scenes and how they're shot.
Oh well, we'll see. Only a few hours to go.
I still find it hilarious that a freakin' dreamcast was the most powerful computing device, from the gamera movie.
Hahah, that was in the third one, right?
That and the scenes in "english" are a such a weird contrast to how deadly serious the rest of that movie is. But it's part of why I like that trilogy. Oh and there's also that drunken ex-cop that keeps showing up.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
^yeah had to be the third movie. I am due for a rewatch of that trilogy.

Waiting for a nesrby theatre to have the movie so i can book tickets >_<

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I didnt mind it to much, but it makes me a bit annoyed that
its said that they cut again away from the fight scenes.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Skull Island critics are salty because every other time King Kong Movies attempted to be a seriously taken movie and they are offended that the fourth one is a blockbuster monster movie.

Edit: Sorry for the double post. I thought the last time I wrote a message was this morning and I didnt refreshed the page.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Thought it was a huge missed opportunity.
Mothra was great. Every second she was on screen and every bit of lore related to her was fantastic.
Other than that...a few cool money shots here and there. But the spectacle absolutely did not deliver. Just complete boredom for most of the film.
Good last few shots though I guess.

Worst film of the Monsterverse for sure afaic. I'll get more into it later.

Can't believe they stole THAT bit from GMK but couldn't make it work due to shitty editing.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Going to see a Godzilla '54 and GMK double feature at Alamo tonight, first time seeing GMK in a theater. I'm hyped.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Just rewatched Tokyo SOS. I think I'm gonna be in the mood for a lot of kaiju films this weekend, hah.

It didn't completely hold up tbh but it's still a fun film overall. It doesn't fuck around. 90 minutes long, the action starts at minute 30 and... Yeah, that's pretty much it. Some really impressive action shots.
It's kinda sad that they replaced the pilots from the previous film though, I liked them a lot more than the new cast. Maybe it was a contract or scheduling thing, I don't know.

I totally missed the Gamera reference last time I saw it. Maybe I was simply not familiar with Gamera yet. It's not subtle, they just find the carcass of a giant dead turtle in one of the early scenes. They don't show the head but you still get a pretty detailed view of the body.

And I also did not remember that this film had a post-credit tease for a sequel. Something about cloning the original Godzilla I think? The subtitles weren't super clear. I assume this project got canned in favor of Final Wars. I like that film but it's too bad we didn't get a full Kiryu trilogy.

Deleted member 27872

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just rewatched Tokyo SOS. I think I'm gonna be in the mood for a lot of kaiju films this weekend, hah.

It didn't completely hold up tbh but it's still a fun film overall. It doesn't fuck around. 90 minutes long, the action starts at minute 30 and... Yeah, that's pretty much it. Some really impressive action shots.
It's kinda sad that they replaced the pilots from the previous film though, I liked them a lot more than the new cast. Maybe it was a contract or scheduling thing, I don't know.

I totally missed the Gamera reference last time I saw it. Maybe I was simply not familiar with Gamera yet. It's not subtle, they just find the carcass of a giant dead turtle in one of the early scenes. They don't show the head but you still get a pretty detailed view of the body.

And I also did not remember that this film had a post-credit tease for a sequel. Something about cloning the original Godzilla I think? The subtitles weren't super clear. I assume this project got canned in favor of Final Wars. I like that film but it's too bad we didn't get a full Kiryu trilogy.

I watched Tokyo SOS with my friends recently and we all thought it was much better than against mechagodzilla.

We also watched the original Mothra for the first time and all loved it. It actually might be one of my favorite kaiju movies in general now

Yebele

Nov 2, 2017
it's not a Gamera reference, the monster is Kamoebas from the 1970 kaiju movie Space Amoeba. it's a really obscure reference, he's literally in no other movie except tokyo s.o.s.

Oct 25, 2017

Those Mechagodzilla films are pretty fun and I enjoy them way more than the Heisei Mechagodzilla film.

Kiryu is probably the best Mechagodzilla redesign ever.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
In terms of MechaGodzilla designs I'd go Showa > Millennium > Hesei

In terms of movie quality I think I'd go Vs MechaGodzilla > Vs MechaGodzilla 2 > SOS > Terror > Against

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
it's not a Gamera reference, the monster is Kamoebas from the 1970 kaiju movie Space Amoeba. it's a really obscure reference
Oh wow, thanks for the correction! That's super interesting.
It's kinda strange that they didn't show its face then but I do believe you. I've seen that movie mentioned before but I've never had the opportunity to watch it. I'll put it on the list.
In terms of movie quality I think I'd go Vs MechaGodzilla > Vs MechaGodzilla 2 > SOS > Terror > Against
Really, Against as last? I think I would put it first but I don't remember much about the other films tbh.
Maybe I'll rewatch the showa ones this weekend. I know I have Terror lying around somewhere.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Really, Against as last? I think I would put it first but I don't remember much about the other films tbh.
Maybe I'll rewatch the showa ones this weekend. I know I have Terror lying around somewhere.
I need to give Against a rewatch but I remember not enjoying it that much when I first watched it. Like, it was fine but I enjoyed the other MG movies more. I like a lot of the ideas in that movie though, just not the implementation.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the Showa one from Terror of Mechagodzilla is overall my favorite, but it isn't what I would call very "Modern".
Heisei MechaGodzilla's look is kind of disappointing because I like everything else about that movie. Heisei MG being built from reverse engineered Mecha King Ghidorah tech was my favorite origin for MG too

latest