• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 27872

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The biggest problem I had with Against Mecha G, and mechagodzilla 2 for that matter, was how stiff the suits were, it looked like the monsters could hardly move, which in against mecha g was kinda dissapointing considering how expressive the 2001 godzilla was.

Oct 25, 2017
Heisei MechaGodzilla's look is kind of disappointing because I like everything else about that movie. Heisei MG being built from reverse engineered Mecha King Ghidorah tech was my favorite origin for MG too

latest
My favorite origin is still the Showa series where Mechagodzilla was flat out a villain from Alien tech. I never really like them turning him into a Gundam or an EVA Robot.

Though it would be cool if the series got a good human villain who could pilot Mechagodzilla or something. The old 90's animated series had Cameron Winter who was basically a Lex Luthor Expy, and I really enjoyed that dynamic he had with Godzilla and the human cast.

The Godzilla series could use a real good human villain in general.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Invasion of Astro-Monster (1965)

What a goofy and fun film.
I had seen it before. And I 100% remembered the first act of it. However, I did not remember that this film was the inspiration for...well, a big chunk of Tim Burton's Mars Attacks.
Honestly, it's kinda crazy that there was no lawsuit.

The movie barely has 10 minutes of kaiju action but what little there is is really fantastic.
The rest of the film truly felt like a franco-belgian 60s comic-book. Basically, it's Blake and Mortimer in Space but the two heroes are called Fuji and Glenn instead.

Also, the more I watch these films, the more I notice that they keep recasting the same people in different roles and I love it. I'm sure that it's not a discovery for anyone here, but it is for me, lol.
Shout out to Akira Takarada, who played Fuji in this and also showed up in the original film and Final Wars, among others.

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'll spoiler this just in case there are new fans from the new movie

Just finished rewatching this and I'd forgotten how surprisingly dark Godzilla dying was. Poor guy melting from the inside.

Love the end credit montage though showing off the Heisei movies.

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone wants to have a look at what King Ghidorah almost ended up looking like here's my review on the X-Plus King Ghidorah 1964 Ric Boy version.

Deleted member 27872

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So at this eva vs shin godzilla ride in Universal Japan they have an exclusive official Shin Ghidorah. I actually really love the design, kinda wierd but in a good way.
HaIOXJx.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
So at this eva vs shin godzilla ride in Universal Japan they have an exclusive official Shin Ghidorah. I actually really love the design, kinda wierd but in a good way.
HaIOXJx.jpg
The eyes and the classic mane from the 65 version are cool, but that design is kinda meh.

I've also never really liked the Shin Godzilla design either.

Star Falcon

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I'm sure this gets asked a lot... but do the 60th Anniversary Blu Rays that were released in Japan have English Subs? I am looking to pick up all the Heisei & Millenium movies, and wasn't sure whether to go for the double feature sets or individuals.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Godzilla vs. Destoroyah

Really enjoyed it this time around. I have an issue with the look of the Heisei films for some reason. Their cinematography and lighting always looks so ugly to me but I can never tell if it's the movies' fault or if they've just never been released properly. I'd love to see a high quality 4K transfer of this film.
Anyway, that being said, this is the first time I've been able to appreciate this movie on a huge screen and the effects looked spectacular. I can't even imagine the number of explosions that they had to film per day on this shoot, lol, it must have been quite an experience.
Great finale, quite emotional, with a fantastic last shot.

I was thinking the entire time that the OST was a brilliantly powerful homage to Ifukube's work but according to imdb...he was the composer on this. Well, he certainly never lost his touch.
Destoroyah itself wasn't great and kinda went out like a chump. I had to rewind to his death since I felt like I had blinked and missed it. No, it just kinda happened super quickly.

So that's now 2 Heisei film (the other being Biollante) that I kinda like.
I guess I'll have to revisit the rest.
Alamo Drafthouse is running this ahead of KotM:

Freakin' adorable.

Awww, that was great.
Yep :(
And I'm not feeling super confident about next year's movie.
Oh well, last time an american Godzilla film bombed we got the Millenium films so there's always a silver lining I guess.

Deleted member 27872

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just watch King of The Monsters yesterday. The script was a mess, but I enjoyed it anyways overall. The monster scenes were pretty incredible.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I caved in and finally watched Mothra. It was a dub but I just couldn't wait for the blu-ray :P
I really enjoyed it, what a charming movie. It's more of an adventure / spy film than a kaiju film but it is quite fun. A bit too long in spots maybe, as movies from that era tend to be but that's basically my only issue with it.
I loved the guy playing the journalist, apparently he was a famous comedian in Japan. He was straight out of a 1940s comic-book.
Great visuals and effects, I loved the little toy soldiers lol. Mothra looked cute as hell.
The villain from fake America was hilarious. I love how he went out of his way to steal some old man's cane for no reason whatsoever at the end. That's some good villain shit, heh.

I also rewatched the 90s Godzilla vs King Ghidorah film and...that movie is a giant piece of shit.
No part of it is remotely redeemable. Probably would have been quite funny had I been drunk though.
Currently my least favorite Godzilla film. We'll see how SpaceGodzilla and some of the Showa lows stack up against it once I revisit them.

From the artbook.
Should have went with them instead of these garbage Kaijus they made up.
That's interesting. They probably wanted to save these reveals for an eventual sequel rather than waste them in a cameo, hence why they went with generic kaijus. Those sequels are most likely dead though.

Last edited:

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Legendary could still get the rights to Gamera. Imagine if Toho doesn't want to extend the Godzilla license after GvK they could continue the MonsterVerse with Kong, the original titans, and if they are lucky, Gamera.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I caved in and finally watched Mothra. It was a dub but I just couldn't wait for the blu-ray :P
I really enjoyed it, what a charming movie. It's more of an adventure / spy film than a kaiju film but it is quite fun. A bit too long in spots maybe, as movies from that era tend to be but that's basically my only issue with it.
I loved the guy playing the journalist, apparently he was a famous comedian in Japan. He was straight out of a 1940s comic-book.
Great visuals and effects, I loved the little toy soldiers lol. Mothra looked cute as hell.
The villain from fake America was hilarious. I love how he went out of his way to steal some old man's cane for no reason whatsoever at the end. That's some good villain shit, heh.

I also rewatched the 90s Godzilla vs King Godzilla film and...that movie is a giant piece of shit.
No part of it is remotely redeemable. Probably would have been quite funny had I been drunk though.
Currently my least favorite Godzilla film. We'll see how SpaceGodzilla and some of the Showa lows stack up against it once I revisit them.

That's interesting. They probably wanted to save these reveals for an eventual sequel rather than waste them in a cameo, hence why they went with generic kaijus. Those sequels are most likely dead though.

God I remember space Godzilla being one of the worst Heisei films.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Legendary could still get the rights to Gamera. Imagine if Toho doesn't want to extend the Godzilla license after GvK they could continue the MonsterVerse with Kong, the original titans, and if they are lucky, Gamera.
Dude if toho doesn't license this thing is dead. It already on life support.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
51Jl2dhzS2L._SX366_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Anyone got this? Is it worth the 10 bucks?
I got it, have read through a few pages so far. It's a pretty neat book, but it's probably not telling you anything you don't know if you're a fan. I've enjoyed it so far as a reminiscing thing, but that will probably be the extent of it.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I would bet hard money that Gamera wont appear in a Solomovie. Godzilla works because people know that property, but come on, beside the die hard Kaiju Fans outside of Japan, people dont know Gamera and a short appearence in a Monsterverse movie wouldnt have changed a thing.

Another interesting thing from that Godzilla website:

IMG_20190606_075001.jpg

How Kong gets involved.

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
Been watching Daimajin the past few days, mainly just the first one. Always blows me away how solid this film is. The acting, costumes, and special effects are all top notch for a film from 1966. Also Akira Ifukube's score is great.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Well we are already going to get more toho stuff shin did amazing well and therr talks of doing there own universe
Yep. I'll just leave this here.

I think part of the reason KOM did so poorly aside from the critic reviews and the film itself is it that outside of the 2014 film, the series hasn't received any marketing or awareness. I mean you see stuff with Marvel and Disney, and they've got toys and games and TV shows everywhere. Where as Godzilla is still super niche thing, and you can't find much when it comes to merchandise. 1998 was really the last time you saw major marketing for the Godzilla as a series. Hard to drive excitement for a movie when there's no big awareness for the series in general.

I bet Toho's going to start marketing him a lot more now that they got a studio up over here, and word is Criterion has been asking comic book artists to start making cover art for them, so they are probably working on their Showa box set. So there's a bunch of stuff to look forward to.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I went ahead and pre-order all 4 KotM SH MonsterArts off Amazon... I just love the designs so much! Didn't realize Godzilla's release was already next week! (Ghidora Sept, Rodan/Mothra bundle Dec).

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Just rewatched King Kong vs Godzilla (1962), it was so fun. The most exhilarating monster brawl I've seen in all the kaiju films I've revisited so far this year.
Been watching Daimajin the past few days, mainly just the first one. Always blows me away how solid this film is. The acting, costumes, and special effects are all top notch for a film from 1966. Also Akira Ifukube's score is great.
I've heard of those but have never seen them. I'll track them down now that you've mentioned them.
I've seen most of the Godzilla and Gamera films but not much outside of that.
What are the essential films in the genre outside of those two series?

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
Just rewatched King Kong vs Godzilla (1962), it was so fun. The most exhilarating monster brawl I've seen in all the kaiju films I've revisited so far this year.

I've heard of those but have never seen them. I'll track them down now that you've mentioned them.
I've seen most of the Godzilla and Gamera films but not much outside of that.
What are the essential films in the genre outside of those two series?

Yeah definitely watch Daimajin. The sequels are good too, but they are sorta just retreads of the first film. Also worth checking out is War of the Gargantuas, Frankenstein Conquers the World, and Atragon- all of which are directed by Ishiro Honda. I think all three are technically connected to the Godzilla universe since Tokyo SOS showed parts of them in flashbacks... maybe not Atragon, but that does include the monster Manda which was in Destroy all Monsters and Final Wars.

There's also Varan the Unbelievable, another Honda film.

Edit- Also G-Fest is almost a month away! Im so excited, it should be nuts since KOTM just came out. Anyone else going? Ill be taking a ton of pictures and video, will share when I get back. Will be hunting down a lot of old Bandai Vinyls while I'm there.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Yeah definitely watch Daimajin. The sequels are good too, but they are sorta just retreads of the first film. Also worth checking out is War of the Gargantuas, Frankenstein Conquers the World, and Atragon- all of which are directed by Ishiro Honda. I think all three are technically connected to the Godzilla universe since Tokyo SOS showed parts of them in flashbacks... maybe not Atragon, but that does include the monster Manda which was in Destroy all Monsters and Final Wars.

There's also Varan the Unbelievable, another Honda film.
All right, thank you very much for these recommendations!
Hopefully they won't be too hard to find.

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
All right, thank you very much for these recommendations!
Hopefully they won't be too hard to find.

Just checked and it looks like Daimajin's Blu-ray was discontinued. That's a shame, more kaiju/Godzilla fans need to see that one. Some of them like War of the Gargantuas should be available to rent/stream, think Gargantuas is on Amazon.

Last edited:

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Today I took my UK copy of Gamera: Guardian of the Universe DVD and ripped the dub audio track so I could use it with another 1080p version I have. Had to change the tempo so it fits at 23.97fps, but I think it worked out pretty good.

Now I can watch Gamera fuck up the Gyaos to a bangin' techno beat in glorious 1080p. Time well spent.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Comixology has a bunch of Godzilla freebies to borrow right now. I usually skip out on stuff that only offers a 1 volume preview, so I went for the single graphic novels.

Godzilla in Hell. ....interesting story/concept. Bob Eggleton's painted art is beyond amazing!

Godzilla: Cataclysm. Great art (some more amazing alternate cover art from Eggleton) and actually a good story too! Definitely tied with Rage Across Time as my 2 favorites, so far.

...after some research, huh, I guess Eggleton did most of the IDW Godzilla cover art and stuff.

04e1ee6c0b02a2337445291b37e9d4fc.jpg