• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ryuukan

Oct 25, 2017
logo.png

main.jpg

Yumeko Jabami enrolls at Hyakkaou Private Academy, where students are ranked by their gambling winnings and fame and fortune awaits those on top.

This is a drama based on the manga/anime of the same name about over the top compulsive gambling in a school for the rich.

r5LqhS3.gif

I enjoyed the anime, which is also on netflix and will be getting a second season in the future.
I am really looking forward to this show and I hope you will all sit down and watch it with me

Edit: Show is live, Netflix page

Last edited:

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
I read all the released chapters of the manga so far, it's very addictive and efficient.
I have no hope for live action though.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
Live action? I was hoping it was the continuation of the first anime season...

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I watched a clip of this after finishing the anime and it did not look good (surprise!). Doesn't seem to capture the dynamic energy of the anime at all. Maybe that wasn't representative of the whole show, but the last thing this should be is reserved.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of: what was happening with that eyepatch girl after that card hand-matching + Russian roulette game? what was that closeup scene of some liquid pouring from somewhere

And if that's what I thought it was, how will they recreate it in live-action?

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017
Why not a S2 of the anime? None of the faces of "gambling ecstasy" will translate well, if at all, so why waste time?

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
I saw a few episodes when it was up on youtube. It doesn't remotely capture the crazyballs tension of the anime or source material, but it's still pretty charming. Doesn't quite compare to the Prison School live-action series, as a metric for "goofy low budget live action anime adaptation that seemed like everyone was just having a good time."

Why not a S2 of the anime? None of the faces of "gambling ecstasy" will translate well, if at all, so why waste time?
Still coming. I know the budget is super low, but the animation staff aren't the ones holding the boom mic haha.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's physically possible for live actors to recreate the facial expressions in Kakegurui.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
It's coming, its even in the op...

for those who want to see the faces

4t2EPba.png

JFpuoiC.png
Ugh, that looks terrible.

That's the thing that kills live action adaptations, slaving devotion to the over the top art style of the source material. You can't do that, those faces just don't equate and when you try, it comes off as silly at best, and terrible at common.

I flash back to the Moyashimon live action that tried too hard to do over the top reactions to the microbes in the air and it just feels like bad overacting.

OP
OP
ryuukan

ryuukan

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, that looks terrible.

That's the thing that kills live action adaptations, slaving devotion to the over the top art style of the source material. You can't do that, those faces just don't equate and when you try, it comes off as silly at best, and terrible at common.

I flash back to the Moyashimon live action that tried too hard to do over the top reactions to the microbes in the air and it just feels like bad overacting.

I see this "they try too hard to be anime" line a lot, and sometimes its true, especially in films. However, please keep in mind that the source material here is pretty silly in and of itself when you look at the basic plot. Also, this was not some prime time ratings bombshell, it aired around 1am in Japan. Don't expect Emmy performances here.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
when will they learn that most anime/manga don't translate well into live-action? The over the top feel always became cringy as fuck in live action, especially cause of bad acting

OP
OP
ryuukan

ryuukan

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the first 2 eps, this is great
Meari (ugh why didnt they translate it as Mary lol) is hilarious

all you "why!???" and "stop ruining my precious 2D girls" whiners need to get over yourselves and relax

also random Nintendo Switch marketing shot

Cj6KkXd.png

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I agree that they really captured the madness of the manga in this adaptation, four eps in, very enjoyable.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
A big part of the anime's appeal was the art style, I doubt they can capture that in live action.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Not even 30 seconds in and I can already tell this is amazing. I need this in my life right now.
Thank you for reminding me Ryuukan.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
the "art style"
you mean pretty girls sweating and panting a lot? lol I guess real people can't do that

The fan service was way too much but I liked the coloring and framing. Not Resly something you can do live action.

All the panty shots and whatnot would look real awkward (even more so than the anime) in live action, but I wouldn't put it past them to try anyway.

OP
OP
ryuukan

ryuukan

Oct 25, 2017
The fan service was way too much but I liked the coloring and framing. Not Resly something you can do live action.

All the panty shots and whatnot would look real awkward (even more so than the anime) in live action, but I wouldn't put it past them to try anyway.

I haven't seen any so far.

You, like others here, have this weird preconceived image of the show already in your head. It's not real, you made it up. The real show is whats on netflix.

OP
OP
ryuukan

ryuukan

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the show

I kinda liked how they substituted most of the smut of the anime with comic relief and 4th wall stuff.

I think anyone who enjoyed the anime would find this entertaining unless you're the serious "would my anime YouTuber masters approve of this?" type.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Minami Hamabe does such a perfect job at playing the madness of Yumeko. I love her performance in this.

Last edited:

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
The drama surpasses the animation by far, I was surprised but the result is amazing.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I might give it a shot. I'd like to get further into the manga first, though. I've only read the first two volumes.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Finished this today, great adaptation. Enjoyed it a lot. As said, Hamabe did a great job at bringing Yumeko to life, though the same can be said for the entire cast.

I hope this also gets a second season to finish up the arc.