• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You deserved to get dogpiled for this dumbass post.

Your saying this was a witchhunt is a shame, as this all turned out to be a fruitless endeavor where you haven't learned anything or self-reflected at all.
The dude literally came into the thread and said that he doesn't know the context of West's comment about slavery when the video was posted in the OP.

Nov 4, 2017
Witch hunt? Come on, Your whole post is based on some random guy online and not what West actually said.
NPR came to the same conclusion I did actually, just 3 days ago. Found that on google in about 30 seconds. I guess that means NPR is projecting. Dozens more articles about the same thing.

https://www.npr.org/2018/05/02/6078...er-kanye-west-might-reveal-about-black-voters

He snapped a red-hat selfie. And for good measure, he wrote a verse that says black people were still on "the Democratic plantation."

https://www.npr.org/sections/codesw...e-controversy-can-teach-us-about-black-voters

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...mocrats/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.f30c525dd8de

Last edited:

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NPR came to the same conclusion I did actually, just 3 days ago. Found that on google in about 30 seconds. I guess that means NPR is projecting. Dozens more articles about the same thing.

https://www.npr.org/2018/05/02/6078...er-kanye-west-might-reveal-about-black-voters
Shouldn't you have done this research before you had made that post? Also, I admittedly skimmed over that transcript and I don't see much about how Kanye said that black people are in voluntary slavery to the Democrats or we're too complacent politically or that we shouldn't automatically vote for the Democrats. In fact, that post you linked earlier didn't say most of that either.

Inkblots

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I didn't change my position. I was just surprised that the reaction to Kanye not lining up with people politically was seen as such a huge shock that people wanted to literally disavow him as a musician. I just found it surprising. I'm not defending him, and I don't listen to his music at all, so I'm not familiar with any of his lyrics.

On a separate point, I would be shocked if he was the only rich musician that votes republican. Especially people that are new to money and not born into it probably freak out when its time to pay taxes. Regardless of what their lyrics say, I would guess a lot of people just vote for themselves in secret. And this guy literally is married to a Kardashian, so I just find it all surprising that people never considered the possibility that he's out to keep his money, and is a hypocrite. Caitlyn Jenner was also controversially openly republican; his wife's parent.
I didn't say you switched your position, as you don't actually have one, I said you switched your argument. I suppose your surprise is because you don't know his music and you're just posting your dismay at something you haven't even read, seen, or researched. Well, then, there's your explanation. The reason you're "shocked" is because you don't have the full picture. You can now cease your astonishment.

Also, I fail to see how "slavery was a choice" is a political view rather than an appalling statement. Is any political affiliation aligned to that statement?

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

https://www.npr.org/sections/codesw...e-controversy-can-teach-us-about-black-voters

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...mocrats/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.f30c525dd8de

Look, you found more well after you based your post on another post about the poster hearing a random online guy say Kanye said some shit. These links are much better. Still, people are upset with him saying that slavery was a choice. I don't think it was a conflation of voting democratic and slavery. He specifically said 400 years of slavery which is the main thing people are upset about. There's no other interpretation for it.

Nov 4, 2017
Look, you found more well after you based your post on another post about the poster hearing a random online guy say Kanye said some shit. These links are much better. Still, people are upset with him saying that slavery was a choice. I don't think it was a conflation of voting democratic and slavery. He specifically said 400 years of slavery which is the main thing people are upset about.
That's fine. I also said I can see why people find it offensive, at the bottom of this post here.
There's no other interpretation for it.
There is. Personally, I think it's not meant to be taken that literally. The entire controversy for over a week has been about voting and politics. He even explicitly compares being a democrat to being on a plantation in a song released 7 days ago ("All blacks gotta be Democrats, we ain't even made it off the plantation."). If you disagree, fine. Just don't attack me over it. I'm allowed to post a different interpretation of what he meant.

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's fine. I also said I can see why people find it offensive, at the bottom of this post here.

There are. Personally, I think it's not meant to be taken that literally. The entire controversy for over a week has been about voting and politics. He even explicitly compares being a democrat to being on a plantation in a song released 7 days ago. If you disagree, fine. Just don't attack me over it. I'm allowed to post a different interpretation of what he meant.
The controversy was mainly about him siding with Trump. People were still mostly alright with him and were willing to listen to his music still. Then he said slavery was a choice and that pushed a lot of us over the edge.

You cannot interpret his slavery comment any other way because he includes "400 years" and "it was all of y'all." That specific statement was about chattel slavery in the US.

Dec 2, 2017
I don't listen to Kanye West, and I never have. So I don't know what great evil you think I'm supporting.
I get that you're trying to be open minded and don't see it yet, but what you're saying is the height of white privilege. You can tune out dumb messages in songs without having to live with the unavoidable reality that those messages are part of structures that will get your kids murdered by the cops for wearing the wrong kind of sweater, or carrying the wrong type of toy, or just randomly running up against an insecure person in a position of power in a bad mood. People of colour just don't have the choices you do because they're very real matters of life and death. That's why what you're saying comes off as a bit callous.

Jan 10, 2018
I continue to find it shocking that people go that crazy if he doesn't align with you politically. It's like people want to somehow disqualify him as a musician.

I listen to tons of metal music that's weird satanic shit, and I'm an atheist. I really can't be bothered to care too much if the music is awesome. I guess I didn't realize how much people think of the musicians they like as role models for their entire worldview. I'm usually just out to hear interesting music.

Besides this incredibly dumb way to open the conversation(nicely put).Suzuka shifted his goalposts towards having a point. Atleast half one.

Kanye did refer to slavery of the past and the slavery of today and he considers voting Democrat part of that. Which is of course insanely stupid, a pathetic dickmove against black people and ignores fully that Republicans went wholeheartedly racist, but you know that is Kanye in 2018 for you.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Look man... Gene Dumby does not know what the fuck he is talking about. Black people, in general and especially older Blacks, tend to be conservative yes... But they do not support the country's conservative party. Why? Gene Dumby's conclusion is because Black people feel pressured by other Blacks. That is fucking absurd.

"Hey I am Black and I'm in a voting booth where no one else can see who I vote for. I feel so much pressure from fellow Blacks, I'll just cave in and vote Dem!!" - How ridiculous does the above scenario sound? But this is the conclusion that Gene Dumby came to? Lol...smh.

The reason why Black people vote Democrat is because the conservative party in this country fucking caters to White racists . The Republican Party fought against The Civil Rights Act. LBJ and Dems signed it and since Nixon forward Republicans engage in the Southern Strategy (look it up) and have tried their best to disenfranchise and undermine Black people out of both animus and to get the lion's share of the white vote.

That leaves Black people with the Democratic Party. A party that *might* do something substantive for us but has often times just taken the Black vote and puts our needs last on their priority list. As Malcolm X put it the White conservative is a wolf, the white Liberal is a fox. The latter grins at you under the guise of friendship, but they are really bearing their teeth because you are next on their plate. Thus is the precarious situation Black America is in and X likened us to political hostages.

The Democratic leadership is nearly all White, Democrat cities are still effectively segregated in housing and schools, job discrimination has not made much progress in decades, minorities are still overpoliced etc... Meanwhile the politicians generally never attack racial disparities with the fervor that they should be handled with because they are guaranteed our votes.

You have a history degree? Then please go listen to Malcolm X's "Ballot or the Bullet" speech.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Look man... Gene Dumby does not know what the fuck he is talking about. Black people, in general and especially older Blacks, tend to be conservative yes... But they do not support the country's conservative party. Why? Gene Dumby's conclusion is because Black people feel pressured by other Blacks. That is fucking absurd.

"Hey I am Black and I'm in a voting booth where no one else can see who I vote for. I feel so much pressure from fellow Blacks, I'll just cave in and vote Dem!!" - How ridiculous does the above scenario sound? But this is the conclusion that Gene Dumby came to? Lol...smh.

The reason why Black people vote Democrat is because the conservative party in this country fucking caters to White racists . The Republican Party fought against The Civil Rights Act. LBJ and Dems signed it and since Nixon forward Republicans engage in the Southern Strategy (look it up) and have tried their best to disenfranchise and undermine Black people out of both animus and to get the lion's share of the white vote.

That leaves Black people with the Democratic Party. A party that *might* do something substantive for us but has often times just taken the Black vote and puts our needs last on their priority list. As Malcolm X put it the White conservative is a wolf, the white Liberal is a fox. The latter grins at you under the guise of friendship, but they are really bearing their teeth because you are next on their plate. Thus is the precarious situation Black America is in and X likened us to political hostages.

The Democratic leadership is nearly all White, Democrat cities are still effectively segregated in housing and schools, job discrimination has not made much progress in decades, minorities are still overpoliced etc... Meanwhile the politicians generally never attack racial disparities with the fervor that they should be handled with because they are guaranteed our votes.

You have a history degree? Then please go listen to Malcolm X's "Ballot or the Bullet" speech.
well stated. and lol @ blacks feeling forced to vote Dem.

We're just not generally into the brand of self-harm that Republicans offer people of color. The issues that black folk might be more conservative on are generally far less important issues to us than the issues that keep us voting Dem are.

Dec 9, 2017
Exposed what?

You think every single one of those likes are from black people? You think YouTube can restrict access to videos based on race? Come on now.

Nope and why should we? You're trying to make it seem like both sides have equal weight and population. They don't. The vast majority of people disagree with Kanye because Kanye is wrong. People who think like him are wrong. People who agree with him are wrong. Slavery was not a choice.

Don't try to pretend that there is some kind of schism in the black community in regards to this. There isn't one. You're not going to muddle this event by trying to find the few black people that agree with Kanye on youtube, both of whom are Trump supporters and one of them sits in front of a Blue Lives Matter flag. Fuck that and fuck this low effort trolling.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions

The problem is that he's trying to get his fans/followers to align with Trump in order to "wake the fuck up". He's doing untold damage by pushing Trump's agenda on some who don't apparently don't know any better or take Kanye's extremely misinformed word as gospel. If anything people need to wake the fuck up and oppose Trump, not lull into an even deeper sleep under him. Supporting Trump is the absolute opposite of "waking up" because you're ignoring factual reality where real people are hurting because of Trump's message, agenda, and legislation. At this point Kanye does need to be told to shut the fuck up because his message is absolutely toxic.
I've been watching countless videos from those who don't agree with Kanye, and those who do.
I stuck at this point because I don't know how to feel about all of this.
One side is telling me what Kanye is doing is disrespectful & hurting myself & my community, but another side is telling me that I've been stuck in certain way of thinking all this time.

I don't know if any of you are black, but we can certainly have a discussion about how OR if Kanye's actions are hurting minorities & why.

Last edited:

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've been watching countless videos from those who don't agree with Kanye, and those who do.
One side is telling me what Kanye is doing is disrespectful & hurting myself & my community, but another side is telling me that I've been stuck in certain way of thinking all this time.
Kanye is repeating an outright lie peddled by white supremacists and these are the same ones telling you that you've been stuck in a certain way of thinking. If you can't decide on how to feel about that, then I don't know how to help you. Yes, I know that some of the ones saying stuff like that are black people, but you will also see a bunch of white supremacists prop up those black people and use them just like they are using Kanye.

Squiggely

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if any of you are black, but we can certainly have a discussion about how OR if Kanye's actions are hurting minorities & why.

There is 37 pages to this thread, with numerous posts about how his comments are damaging along with numerous videos of people making statements on the matter. I recommend you start at page 1 if you want to get the bigger picture about why people are offended/consider it damaging.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
Ta-Nehisi Coates has an absolutely amazing, and surprisingly sympathetic, column on Kanye out today. He does an amazing of job of balancing between understanding how being isolated in the spotlight of fame for so long can make this happen and describing how damaging West's comments have been. Here's one small snippet:

he is, indeed, championing a kind of freedom—a white freedom, freedom without consequence, freedom without criticism, freedom to be proud and ignorant; freedom to profit off a people in one moment and abandon them in the next; a Stand Your Ground freedom, freedom without responsibility, without hard memory; a Monticello without slavery, a Confederate freedom, the freedom of John C. Calhoun, not the freedom of Harriet Tubman,

https://www.theatlantic.com/enterta...m-not-black-im-kanye/559763/?utm_source=atltw

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

But some of the videos you've been posting are outright manipulations masquerading as free or open thought. When you're posting stuff from dudes who have videos titled "How Charlottesville Might Have Been Staged" and "How The Media Lies About Guns", you might wanna stop and think about what you're doing before you spread that misinformation. And the dude doing "interviews" in the street and getting "reactions" was biased as fuck. The video was clearly pushing a narrative and was cherry picked/hand selected to do so.

They're designed to trick people into thinking there's a decent point to be made about "being on the fence" or "questioning the status quo" then pull the rug out and launch into crazy ass right wing nut bullshit.

I mean it seems pretty damn clear to me whether or not Kanye is making things worse or better. Dude is sporting a MAGA hat ffs, just for a start.. and spouting off stuff like "victimization is a disease". I don't understand how there's even a conversation/debate to be had here.

I dunno I mean this has been talked about for pages and pages now and I think logic leads us to Kanye being detached from reality. You cannot love your way out of social and political problems that have been in existence for hundreds of years (not to say we shouldn't be loving or caring in general). And pushing that narrative dismisses/buries real issues that people face everyday.