• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have you ever listened to Kanye before?
Have you followed his career whatsoever?
This is literally what Kanye has ALWAYS done.

Wait for the album. See what happens.

His career has been defined by combating the press and common american values. Each album has done this.

He's a provocateur and has always been so. That doesn't prevent him from criticism, but it should give you perspective when talking about Kanye's actions. What's truly naïve is to take everything he says at face value, and without ever seeking the intent behind his actions.

This is the equivalent of "Trump's playing 8-D chess."

Kanye is a guileless moron. This isn't some elaborate put-on. You're naïve to think it is.

ehf

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
i absolutely lost it when he went "I GOT LIPOSUCTION FOR Y'ALL."

This is funnier than a chappelle skit, but at the same time I hope he gets the help he needs.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Have you ever listened to Kanye before?
Have you followed his career whatsoever?
This is literally what Kanye has ALWAYS done.

Wait for the album. See what happens.

His career has been defined by combating the press and common american values. Each album has done this.

He's a provocateur and has always been so. That doesn't prevent him from criticism, but it should give you perspective when talking about Kanye's actions. What's truly naïve is to take everything he says at face value, and without ever seeking the intent behind his actions.
Well if Kanye's ultimate goal was to make sure that I'd have zero interest in hearing any of his new music then mission accomplished.

I'm sure he likes all of those new alt-right fans though...

lastflowers

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, Wa
I'
This is the equivalent of "Trump's playing 8-D chess."

Kanye is a guileless moron. This isn't some elaborate put-on. You're naïve to think it is.

I've never said that he is free from criticism. I'm saying at least wait for the album before jumping to conclusions. I've never claimed that he's not a jackass, or an asshole.

I wrote an article many years ago about the same thing for my college newspaper, directly after the Obama jackass comment. This all fits in with his persona, and close companions. He IS an idiot, a jackass, a self-obsessed moron. But, he can also be very poignant in referencing the public persona through his music.

Have you guys seen the Runaway movie?

But sure, you do you and wrap yourself in the current moment. I'll wait for the album and judge the entire scenario for myself.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
I'

I've never said that he is free from criticism. I'm saying at least wait for the album before jumping to conclusions. I've never claimed that he's not a jackass, or an asshole.

I wrote an article many years ago about the same thing for my college newspaper, directly after the Obama jackass comment. This all fits in with his persona, and close companions. He IS an idiot, a jackass, a self-obsessed moron. But, he can also be very poignant in referencing the public persona through his music.

But sure, you do you and wrap yourself in the current moment. I'll wait for the album and judge the entire scenario for myself.
Why wait for the album when his actions as they are have already done damage and can be judged on their own merits? What fucking sense does it make to "wait for the album"? The shit he's done is done, period. The milk is spilled.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not going to wait for all the facts when someone says slavery was a choice. You can be a buck dancing Republican without shitting on slaves.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'

Oh you're so wise and far-seeing, college journalist. Who gives a shit what is on his album? You think this is some kind of troll act? "Poignant in referencing the public persona" is a string of vague and empty buzzwords pretending to be a thought.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'

Who gives a fuck about the album if this is how he's selling it? Seriously you can listen to the album and love it but don't try and act like that somehow justifies his behavior and comments in this case. I don't give a shit if its the hottest fire ever to leave his mouth, it doesn't make up for him parading this horrible rhetoric for the worst kind of people in America. He's the definition of a sell out if this all to hype up an album.

lastflowers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, Wa
Oh you're so wise and far-seeing, college journalist. Who gives a shit what is on his album? You think this is some kind of troll act? "Poignant in referencing the public persona" is a string of vague and empty buzzwords pretending to be a thought.
Ahh, so you truly only care about status on a forum instead of the topic and person at hand.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ahh, so you truly only care about status on a forum instead of the topic and person at hand.

Uh, it's you putting on this lame above-it-all pose, not me. If you like Kanye so much you want to give him the benefit of the doubt, just say so, instead of acting like you're just so superior to everyone who has an opinion on his latest bout of idiocy before they hear his dumb album.

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
Kanye is a Gemini, their very loyal.
Sounds like he is being used and manipulated. Dude dyed his hair blonde and put on weight to even resemble Trump as close as he possibly could.
tenor.gif

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Why does the album matter?
They won't answer because they know their defense is bullshit. No fucking album is going to convince anyone that this appeal to the alt right was worthwhile. Lastflowers wants us to just forgive Kanye on evidence we don't have. They want us to believe that there's no such thing as a "provocateur" having actual solid opinions and views and everything is always about sales and promotion (as though that means that damaging views and rhetoric are somehow no longer damaging)

lastflowers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, Wa
User Has Been Banned (3d): Personal attacks despite previous warnings.
Uh, it's you putting on this lame above-it-all pose, not me. If you like Kanye so much you want to give him the benefit of the doubt, just say so, instead of acting like you're just so superior to everyone who has an opinion on his latest bout of idiocy before they hear his dumb album.

case in point. I'm not superior, I merely know more about this topic than you do and have laid it out. Feel free to live in your own ignorance if you wish.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agree or disagree, what I respect Kayne West for is the fact he speaks his own views and won't back down from his views under pressure from anyone.

That's something which is rare these days

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I hate to break it to yall but people are still gonna buy the new Kanye album regardless.

KanyeStan-ism is a serious problem.

lastflowers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, Wa
You don't seem to care about the person at hand as you're cool with letting him off the hook for pandering to white supremacists and the alt right because his album might be good.

Why does the album matter?

Is Kanye West, with the help of Tremaine Emory and others, is attempting to pull off an updated version of Joseph Beuys' I Like America and America Likes Me? Could he be borrowing from Hammons and attempting to turn a symbol which is perceived to be racist or hateful into his own, with a new meaning?

What exactly is he trying to accomplish with this performance art piece? I don't know. And I'm not sure we're supposed to know. At least not yet. Maybe it's a conversation about the perceived stigma of mental health in our country. Maybe it's a conversation about how the media and public treat celebrities. Maybe it's a conversation about race relations or what it means to be black in American politics. Maybe he's just trying to hold a mirror up to the world and force us to examine where we are as a society.

Or there's the possibility that he's completely lost it and the only one being trolled is me. But it's not like we haven't seen this happen before. A lot of people thought Joaquin Phoenix had lost his mind when he supposedly quit acting and became a rapper. Remember that bizarre Letterman interview? Turns out it was all performance art for the movie, I'm Still Here, which was written and produced by Phoenix and his brother-in-law Casey Affleck.

Kanye West wouldn't be the first musician to play a character. There might not be a better example than David Bowie. Bowie was notorious for constantly reinventing himself into new characters with completely different ideas and emotions: Ziggy Stardust, Major Tom, Aladdin Sane, etc. Most relevant to Kanye's current situation was The Thin White Duke. As Alex Johnson pointed out to me on Twitter, when Bowie embraced the character of The Thin White Duke, he became obsessed with fascism and the occult. This period was marked with incredibly offensive and bizarre behavior in public, including possibly pro-Hitler remarks and a Nazi salute.

Bowie described the character as "a very Aryan, fascist type…" Eventually, Bowie had to backtrack and explain the persona: "What I'm doing is theatre and only theatre. What you see on stage isn't sinister. It's pure clown. I'm using myself as a canvas and trying to paint the truth of our time on it." After finishing the album Station to Station as the persona of The Thin White Duke, Bowie moved out of the country to recover mentally and physically, and retired the character for good. Later in life, he said that period in which he played The Thin White Duke happened during "the darkest days of my life" and was the product of severe drug addiction. If Kanye is taking a similar approach, he wouldn't be the first musician to play a character and say extremely offensive things in the name of art. I would like to reiterate again that in no way is this a defense of Kanye, his words, or his actions. Same goes for Bowie.

After my original post on Twitter, I have seen a lot of people argue that even if this theory is true, it doesn't change the fact that his actions and words have consequences. I could not agree more. The people that are upset, hurt, and angry about the comments Kanye has put out have absolutely every right to feel that way.

In the Twitter era, Kanye doesn't have the same time to let things play out as Kaufman did. Even if he plans to reveal this as a piece of performance art in June, it might be too late. People have already been hurt by his comments and some damage has already been done.

Where and when does everything with Kanye and his performance end? I don't really know. I'm not sure if it ever does. Earlier, I hypothesized that perhaps Kanye's new album, or maybe even his collaboration with Kid Cudi, Kids See Ghosts, could be his prestige. Maybe it's the final part of his giant magic trick and he reveals himself and his truth to the world. I guess we'll find out in June.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Agree or disagree, what I respect Kayne West for is the fact he speaks his own views and won't back down from his views under pressure from anyone.

This is so lazy. There are child molesters with rigid opinions on age of consent. There are bigots with rigid opinions on genocide. There are men's rights activists with rigid opinions on rape. Respect should come from the content of a view and not just that a person has one that doesn't change. And there's value in having an informed opinion, admitting a wrong mindset and changing your views when they don't stand up to scrutiny.

Otherist

Oct 27, 2017
England

Ok but that easily slips into 'obstinate deafness to any and all criticism', as in this case, which is less than commendable when people are literally pleading with you to understand the damage you're doing. (and sadly not rare in the least)

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

So if someone express publicly that you should die a horrible death by their hands, and they didn't back down from it, you would be okay with that?

Sure you would, pal.

Ominym

Oct 25, 2017

Plugging your ears and ignoring people and evidence isn't what I would call commendable as it's certainly easier than challenging your own world view.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017

That's not even remotely rare and the inability to reshape your views through change and experience is nothing to be proud of.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'

the piece of shit using all of this to sell a motherfucking album would make him look worse, not better.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is so lazy. There are child molesters with rigid opinions on age of consent. There are bigots with rigid opinions on genocide. There are men's rights activists with rigid opinions on rape. Respect should come from the content of a view and not just that a person has one that doesn't change. And there's value in having an informed opinion, admitting a wrong mindset and changing your views when they don't stand up to scrutiny.

Ok but that easily slips into 'obstinate deafness to any and all criticism', as in this case, which is less than commendable when people are literally pleading with you to understand the damage you're doing. (and sadly not rare in the least)

So if someone express publicly that you should die a horrible death by their hands, and they didn't back down from it, you would be okay with that?

Sure you would, pal.

Plugging your ears and ignoring people and evidence isn't what I would call commendable as it's certainly easier than challenging your own world view.

One's dedication to bullshit is not a metric I personally would base respect on.

Being hard-headed isn't a virtue.

giphy.gif

Easy tigers, I didn't agree or disagree - I simply said I personally respect Kayne West for not backing down in his beliefs.

I never said anything about what youre all dreaming up I'm talking about.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
giphy.gif

Easy tigers, I didn't agree or disagree - I simply said I personally respect Kayne West for not backing down in his beliefs.

And we're asking why you'd respect someone for spouting bullshit. Like I said, if someone thinks the age of consent should start at six years old and "doesn't back down", that's not worthy of respect. You should ask yourself if it still is. You might say they're not the same but I'd say that Kanye's rhetoric and beliefs about Trump and slavery aren't harmless.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Nah I think it's the fact that you said you respect someone doubling down on their uninformed opinions.
There's no respect to be had in that. I would respsre Kanye if he said he was wrong and did some research on the subject.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You respect an idiot with idiot beliefs.

I don't respect you.

And we're asking why you'd respect someone for spouting bullshit. Like I said, if someone thinks the age of consent should start at six years old and "doesn't back down", that's not worthy of respect. You should ask yourself if it still is. You might say they're not the same but I'd say that Kanye's rhetoric and beliefs about Trump and slavery aren't harmless.

it's not that rare when the president and all his lackeys do the same thing

Nah I think it's the fact that you said you respect someone doubling down on their uninformed opinions.
There's no respect to be had in that. I would respsre Kanye if he said he was wrong and did some research on the subject.

lmao dude doesn't have views

giphy.gif

Good night fellow humans, life is wayyyy too short to sit here arguing for the sake of nothing - peace

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
Say something stupid and not explain yourself when asked is one way to go about it.