• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Favorite track?

• One of the basura trio (ITAKY, Yikes, All Mine)

Votes: 100 21.6%
  • Wouldn't Leave

Votes: 17 3.7%
  • No Mistakes (Jmon certified)

Votes: 39 8.4%
  • Ghost Town

Votes: 248 53.7%
  • Violent Crimes

Votes: 58 12.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
it's about kanye being kanye being bipolar. the lyrics and the album art aren't meaningless

i remember people saying 808s was trash and his worst album. same with yeezus

its like this with every release
graduation was a shallow piece of trash
808s was just him auto tune crooning
Yeezus was static and everyone hated it and it had a keef feature
TLOP was an unfinished mess
And now this one is worse.

fuck sake

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
Kanye fans the worst, so goddamn hyperbolic. I think it's a fine album, very sad and I relate to Ye's headspace. The lyricism is for sure disappointing, but it didn't seem too egregiously bad. This for sure conjures up some warm feelings though, Ghost Town man ;_;

This is my only fave song on album. Makes me look forward to his album with cudi.

Oct 25, 2017
The thing that undercuts Violent Crimes is like, he still has some corny ass lines about women on this album on All Mine. It kind of made me take Violent Crimes a lot less seriously.

I do wish the album leaned more into the sound/concept of Ghost Town and Violent Crimes.

Violent Crimes kind of rubbed me the wrong way after the #MeToo line from Yikes

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some good stuff here and there and the last 3 songs were pretty great, but all the good parts are either the beats or the features basically, ye himself hasnt impressed me outside of production here.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
it's about kanye being kanye being bipolar. the lyrics and the album art aren't meaningless

We've known Kanye is bipolar ever since TLOP. Hell we've arguably known since way before that.

There's no conclusive thematic bent to be found here, it's just texture, stuff that only crops up every once in a while on this album alongside a whole bunch of other shit he wants to talk about (like that line about #MeToo and his TMZ appearance). TLOP told me more about his state of mind than this ever did, and whatever this album may tell you about his state of mind is about as shallow of a proclamation as the hilarious tumblr image he passes for being album art.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's no conclusive thematic bent to be found here
it doesn't need a "conclusive thematic bent," whatever that even is, to be about something.
stuff that only crops up every once in a while on this album alongside a whole bunch of other shit he wants to talk about
does every single line have to be about it?
shallow of a proclamation as the hilarious tumblr image he passes for being album art
i didn't think it was shallow at all

Rixan

Oct 25, 2017
The thing that undercuts Violent Crimes is like, he still has some corny ass lines about women on this album on All Mine. It kind of made me take Violent Crimes a lot less seriously.

I do wish the album leaned more into the sound/concept of Ghost Town and Violent Crimes.

Part of his music has always been that duality though, it's hamfistedly right there on the cover art for TLOP

I've never had a problem taking each song as they come, because you're right, there would be all sorts of contradiction otherwise

Oct 25, 2017
That quote on the album looks like some shit you would see on a picture of a minion that was posted on Facebook by a 42 year old

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

808s and Yeezus were also forward thinking albums with inventive ideas sonically. What does this album do that can be so divisive other than Kanye still being a garbage lyricist? It's just a rehash of the more spiritual elements of TLOP, another album that delved into his mental health, and as messy as it was it flowed better and resonated more than these bloated 20 minutes of meandering nothing.

I like introspective Kanye as much as anyone else, it's when he's at his most interesting creatively, but at least say something of substance about the album other than 'you just don't get it man' which is kinda disturbing when we're talking about suffering from bipolar disorder, as much as it relates to you personally.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
These posts are terrible. You're free to write him off for the Trump shit. But you should go back to your holes if you really think people aren't capable of separating the art and artist, you may not be, and that's okay toot. Not just that, I could give a fuck about Trump and politics. I'm here for music. Implying that me listening to the album somehow means I support or endorse Trump is not only disingenuous, it's fucking stupid. Pull your head out of your ass.

I specifically never said you or anyone else endorsed Trump. You are supporting Kanye's worldview that led him to being a MAGA asshole. Kanye has always pushed the view that as an artist he can't be constrained by other people's rules or morality. That clearly includes embracing reactionary garbage like his new bestie Candace Owens. Anyone who can't see the difference shouldn't call other people disingenuous or stupid.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes is the only song I really like here. I mean, none of it sounds terrible really, but most of it isn't catching my ear very well either.

Also, thank GOD 6ix9ine isn't on this shit after all. That kid is garbage.

PhoenixDark

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
White House
exactly. i'm not sure if people who haven't experienced manic depression can really understand this album fully. second listen has me in tears. i guess that just makes me one of those "crazy people" according to some dicks in this thread though

"You need to be depressed/mentally ill in order to understand this album" is one of the wackest defenses for an album I've ever heard.

This is...not good. It's not bad, but it lacks the polish of previous albums (likely the product of making 5 albums at once). The production is largely fine to good, but everything else is just off. Outside of the last track I'm not sure anything here is even "very good."

Deleted member 279

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After 4 listens im ready to say this album is absolutely phenomenal.

The production alone makes it great

The topic material of the songs is what elevates it

Kanye being vulnerable and discussing his struggles with mental issues, being a husband, a father

I love TLOP but it makes TLOP look so much worse in hindsight.

I put ye somewhere next to mbdtf, college dropout, late registration

Someone on twitter was talking about how so far his discography has kind of gone in trilogies, and I agree that this is definitely the follow up to TLOP topically and sonically

It being so short is its biggest strength and biggest weakness at the same time

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
It's not that this is bad per say, but I have the same problem with it that I had with TLOP.

You can feel at multiple points there is an amazing song but then the song is over. It's like it's a half assed unfinished group of songs, and that's exactly what TLOP was (minus a few tracks that did feel complete).

hyuckwut

Oct 27, 2017
I went to bed directly after the first play of the livestream. Im one of the few who actually loved TLOP, my wifi name is still ultralightbeam lmao. I need to listen to this one again (in a minute) but on first listen I thought the production was straight up amazing, with the lyrics in front of it being pretty cringy in half the album

D65

Oct 26, 2017
I went to bed directly after the first play of the livestream. Im one of the few who actually loved TLOP, my wifi name is still ultralightbeam lmao. I need to listen to this one again (in a minute) but on first listen I thought the production was straight up amazing, with the lyrics in front of it being pretty cringy in half the album

Few? TLOP is a masterpiece bruv

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ok I've ran it back 5 or 6 times now. I can't vibe with most of the lyrical content but the production is out of this world good. This 40+ track run by YE this summer could go down as some of his best work.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
If Kanye's name wasn't attached to this, nobody would give a fuck about these tracks. They are not bad, the production is mostly fine, but everything else is mediocre at best.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck is this "basura trio" bullshit, jmon FZZ.

The whole album is some of Kanye's best work IMO.

Last edited:

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I put ye somewhere next to mbdtf, college dropout, late registration

This is where I draw the line. No no no no no.

I enjoy this album overall, but it has maybe 8 minutes of greatness, compared to the 9 minutes of greatness from Runaway.

Yeah, one song is better than the entirety of Ye.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
808s and Yeezus were also forward thinking albums with inventive ideas sonically
so is this.
What does this album do that can be so divisive other than Kanye still being a garbage lyricist?
the lyrics are pretty good. better than TLOP overall. some of them are just OK, and some of them are excellent.
I like introspective Kanye as much as anyone else, it's when he's at his most interesting creatively, but at least say something of substance about the album other than 'you just don't get it man' which is kinda disturbing when we're talking about suffering from bipolar disorder, as much as it relates to you personally.
what am i supposed to say? it's a beautiful album. the melodies are beautiful. the music is touching. the harmonies and textures are interesting. the experience of listening to the album emulates the feelings behind a manic episode to me. how do i explain that?
Pretending as if people who don't like it just don't "understand it" is still a hilarious claim to make
it might have been if that was what i actually said
"You need to be depressed/mentally ill in order to understand this album" is one of the wackest defenses for an album I've ever heard.
twisting my words and that's not what I said but OK

D65

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if anyone been following my impressions...

But this album man...

This album feels like a bunch of throwaway concepts.

Deleted member 279

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is where I draw the line. No no no no no.

I enjoy this album overall, but it has maybe 8 minutes of greatness, compared to the 9 minutes of greatness from Runaway.

Yeah, one song is better than the entirety of Ye.

I respect your opinion, I was just expressing my own takeaway.

I can understand if this album doesnt strike a chord with some people, but personally the entire album discusses things that I can heavily relate to in my personal life.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
Wow this is actually really bad.

The songs are all pretty much meh. Not bad or good. Just meh. Plain boring.

What makes it bad to me is the amount of tracks. You have a 7 songs album and it sounds mediocre overall -> bad.

Also ITAKY should be a intro and a song so people don't have to listen to a lunatics rant for 2 minutes before the song starts or have to skip over it every time.

TLOP is god tier in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.