• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What about "I think his music is trash, he's trash, and if you listen to him: power to you for having a different taste in music to me."
That's fine. The main issue I have is the equivalence of "he is trash" and "he has no influence." One is an opinion and the other is an outright lie. If you have consumed popular music in the modern age, you've consumed music by people who hold Kanye in high regard and have been undeniably influenced by his work. If you care about sneakers or high fashion, you've seen his influence or his proteges. He's influenced art & popular culture his whole career, so I'd appreciate if people could separate their opinion of his work from his actual accomplishments.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
I can't speak for others. But for myself, I'm afraid Kanye will have a negitive influence on Kojima in regards to racial issues. And Kojima already has poor track record in that regard. I don't want it getting any worse.

Kojima isn't a child looking for father-like wisdom. Especially not from someone who might be the same age or slightly younger than him. He has a little arrested development, but whatever influences he's had through life have already been cemented, with little changes in attitude here and there over the years. I don't see Kanye parading around political issues and Trump-jargon in front of him like this and I don't see why anyone here would think that he would go out of his way, with what little time they have to meet, just to shill for another man and discuss american politics of all things, when Kanye is extremely selfish and talks about himself and his art more than anything else. Let's think about this situation realistically.

This type of worry of negative influence is unrealistic. Expect a small conversation and a picture, and at most, a lunch together. They're both busy individuals.

Bend

Oct 27, 2017
After the last few albums I'd say Kanye's musical genius is waning.

Kids see ghosts was great! I liked a few off Ye as well.

I don't want to be involved in this thread at all, I swear I saw someone pinning migrants dying on the border to Geoff for setting up a way for them to communicate, but itd be interesting to hear where Kanye developed this appreciation of Kojima to reach out to him like he did.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Cool. I'm glad we could clear that up

I can't speak for others. But for myself, I'm afraid Kanye will have a negitive influence on Kojima in regards to racial issues. And Kojima already has poor track record in that regard. I don't want it getting any worse.

"Negative influences?" Dude, Kojima is a 55 year old man with political opinions. He's not a child or some innocent flower who has seen nothing in this world but Metal Gear games.

This is completely about what a bad fucking look it would be for him to meet up with someone like Kanye (and especially for Geoff as he's trying to make this happen for whatever reason). You could argue ignorance on what Kanye has been up to the last few months on Kojima's part(though I would be hard pressed to believe that, seeing how Hollywood- and Celebrity-obsessed the man seems to be) but that doesn't work for Keighley.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I don't see the issue here I guess because I don't care. It's two creators possibly having small talk and/or lunch. It's not Kojima's fault that every time he takes a picture with a celebrity/dev people lose their shit and think a secret project is in the works and I also don't see them going into a political debate with Kojima ending up with a Maga hat on for the other end of it.

Take a step back and a breather from the forum if this is seriously causing you to be really upset.
Blasphemy. If His High Holiness Hideo Kojima the Annointed partaketh in a picture with another being it is akin to a blood oath that a project betwixt the two must be made. As it is written so shall it be.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I never got the impression that Kojima has a huge ego

iEL7gJ4.png

From MGS4, it was probably a joke but I can get where people are coming from, considering he puts himself out there more than pretty much every other Japanese game dev I can think of.

Jadentheman

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Imagine Kanye with a MAGA hat as s boss with Kim assisting him in Death Stranding.

Followed by an orchestrated remix of his new music

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anybody see they already coming out with a patch? 1.2 or whatever?
iEL7gJ4.png

From MGS4, it was probably a joke but I can get where people are coming from, considering he puts himself out there more than pretty much every other Japanese game dev I can think of.
Im a bit forgiving of Kojima since he's going against a culture that seems to favor the status quo a bit too much so it's Noble of him to try and push the medium of Japanese gaming further than tradition.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They swear they got the right mindset but scared to talk about it in their own community. The only reason yall saying fuck Geoff/Kanye is because hes famous. If he was anyone random poster on this board saying or doing something yall wouldnt say shit but try to argue. Just a bunch of talk but dont do a got damn thing. Fuck that shit

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I never got the impression that Kojima has a huge ego

I have the impression that he has a big ego, but kind of in the same way that I would view Stan Lee.

He's not loudly egotistical, but keen to be the direct recipient of attention and praise for his products ('Kojima Productions', which is a little on the nose compared to the movie production companies he was likely inspired by). Perhaps even more so than Stan Lee, as Kojima seems very critical of his team's capacity to function without him (such as with Metal Gear Rising, tasking his team with a experimental mechanic in an unfamiliar genre, and moving the game to another studio he saw as more capable when they naturally struggled). The events of Portable Ops, a supposedly canonical Metal Gear Solid game he didn't direct, are referred to as 'that San Hieronymo crap' and largely disregarded in the opening moments of a Metal Gear Solid game Kojima directed on the same platform.

Then there's injecting himself into the games, be it with 'Kojima is God' references, or actual physical appearances. I think there's a case to be made.

Last edited:

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
They swear they got the right mindset but scared to talk about it in their own community. The only reason yall saying fuck Geoff/Kanye is because hes famous. If he was anyone random poster on this board saying or doing something yall wouldnt say shit but try to argue. Just a bunch of talk but dont do a got damn thing. Fuck that shit

Don't get me wrong -- Kanye is problematic as fuck. As a huge fan, I understand it's hard to defend everything he did involving Trump. It's embarrassing, hurtful, ignorant and irresponsible.

But the Geoff stuff seems to stem specifically from Boogie getting an invite to be in the audience at the Game Awards. Boogie is absolutely trash but Geoff also gave a number of really good people a platform at the Game Awards just this year. I think he actually means well.