• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jun 4, 2018
Judging people's character by their ...art's characters... is hilarious, misguided, and downright terrifying. Ask Kojima's wife what she thinks. Ask his assistant. Ask the countless women who not only work with him, but sign up to do so over and over again over the course of several decades. The suggestion that someone on a forum - with zero prior engagement with Kojima - knows him in ways that the people who put themselves in his presence time and again is silly, under the best of circumstances. I would be embarrassed to find myself in psychowave's corner on this one.

Crazyorloco

Dec 12, 2017
Kanye gets so much crap, and I understand why - but I don't think he's evil. Nothing I've seen him do within the past year is inherently evil. I feel like some people hate because it's cool to or they hear things and believe it. I don't see a problem with him meeting Kojima.

Once people here get a certain view of someone there is no letting go.

Yup. Heck there's been updates on what he has said, but people ignore it -and just focus on the original statements. Focus on what fits their narrative.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
omg Kojima hates men too!?

As dumb as it is, I've always enjoyed the "breaking the fourth wall" nonsense in MGS games. Characters seriously doing the VA for PlayStation button prompts.

The GOAT.

Codec calls were the best. Shame they got pretty much nuked in the craptastic game called MGS5. Even 4 pretty much minimized them.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saying Kojima hates women is preeeeeeety dumb. If we want to argue that his treatment of women in his games are problematic then yes, it's something a lot of us would agree on.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did celebrities just discover video games now ?
It was a thing in the past but there are more celebrities that grew up with video games now. Michael Jackson approached Sega to make a game, Paul McCartney wanted to meet Miyamoto (according to the book Game Over), and Macaulay Culkin wanted a TurboGrafx.

psychowave

Oct 25, 2017
This is actual slander and the fact that it's glossed over is a sad reality of this forum as a whole.
you know what's actually sad? the fact that kojima lets his male main characters sexually assault women, including underage girls, in several of his games, with absolutely zero repercussions, and yet his fanboys have his scrotum stuck so deep in their throats that they're apparently unable to speak out about it
Judging people's character by their ...art's characters... is hilarious, misguided, and downright terrifying. Ask Kojima's wife what she thinks. Ask his assistant. Ask the countless women who not only work with him, but sign up to do so over and over again over the course of several decades. The suggestion that someone on a forum - with zero prior engagement with Kojima - knows him in ways that the people who put themselves in his presence time and again is silly, under the best of circumstances. I would be embarrassed to find myself in psychowave's corner on this one.
lol misogynists have never been married to women or worked with them am i right guys
If only we had an example of Kojima ever creating a male character for a female audience that even runs around naked in the game.

Oops, did I mansplain??
this is so intellectually dishonest that i'm actually embarrassed for you

the fact that y'all think kojima's biggest issue with women is that he has designed a bunch of female characters with their tits hanging out at all times, and not the fact that he constantly demeans women and writes them as insecure because of their womanhood shows what shallow understanding you all have about misogyny. wouldn't expect better from the men on ERA, though lol

Last edited:

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Saying Kojima hates women is preeeeeeety dumb. If we want to argue that his treatment of women in his games are problematic then yes, it's something a lot of us would agree on.

I would say that there absolutely have been problematic elements, but it's a bit bipolar considering he also does shit like write Meryl as a complex character, and the entirety of MGS3 is basically the Boss and Eva playing, manipulating, and being dominant over Solid Snake. Quiet was an incoherent awful mess though.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Well, he fits in Death Stranding, I guess...

kanye-west-mask8vfr4.jpg

66d4a2d6b0e6e76c3f825sreps.jpg

kanye17tij8.jpg

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
you know what's actually sad? the fact that kojima lets his male main characters sexually assault women, including underage girls, in several of his games, with absolutely zero repercussions, and yet his fanboys have his scrotum stuck so deep in their throats that they're apparently unable to speak out about it

When does Kojima have his main characters sexually assault women?

Is Paz included in this for the underage part? I'm NOT going to say that it wasn't problematic AF in Peace Walker that Paz was presenting as 16 when the game started, meaning she was at most like 17.5 by the time the date occurs since we don't know how long the game takes place over.

But she was born in 1950, and PeaceWalker took place in 1974, making her around 24 years old.

https://metalgear.fandom.com/wiki/Paz_Ortega_Andrade

It's also up for debate if the whole 'she's 16' wasn't a mistranslation of 'she looks 16'. Because Peace Walker contradicts itself in the briefing files which Kojima did directly of memory serves.

1. ^ Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, Kojima Productions (2010).
    Briefing Files > Briefing Library > Data Files > Paz's Diary > Entry #5
    Paz remarks that Strangelove is more than 10 years her elder, who is stated to be in her thirties at the time of the game.

Granted more than 10 years could still = 16 so maybe not? ButStrangelove would be closer to 20 years older if Paz meant that as her being 16.

Edit:
Dr Strangelove was born in the late 1930s and is referenced as in her 30s during Peace Walker, meaning that she has to be in her mid-late 30s at the time. 34 to 37 years old.

It would be odd to have written Paz as in character and undercover, writing as Paz, contradicting her age. It could have just been a buried hint however.

Last edited:

psychowave

Oct 25, 2017
When does Kojima have his main characters sexually assault women?

Is Paz included in this for the underage part? I'm NOT going to say that it wasn't problematic AF in Peace Walker that Paz was presenting as 16 when the game started, meaning she was at most like 17.5 by the time the date occurs.

But she was born in 1950, and PeaceWalker took place in 1974, making her around 24 years old.

https://metalgear.fandom.com/wiki/Paz_Ortega_Andrade

It's also up for debate if the whole 'she's 16' wasn't a mistranslation of 'she looks 16'. Because Peace Walker contradicts itself in the briefing files which Kojima did directly of memory serves.

1. ^ Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, Kojima Productions (2010).
    Briefing Files > Briefing Library > Data Files > Paz's Diary > Entry #5
    Paz remarks that Strangelove is more than 10 years her elder, who is stated to be in her thirties at the time of the game.

Granted more than 10 years could still = 16 so maybe not? ButStrangelove would be closer to 20 years older if Paz meant that as her being 16.
in snatcher you can assault katrina (who is 14 years old in the japanese version of the game) and in policenauts you can assault ed's daughter (her age is never explicitly stated, but she's said to be a teenager). assaulting random women is literally a game mechanic in policenauts. there are zero repercussions for your actions in either of these games, besides katrina not letting you enter her house again for 5 whole minutes.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
in snatcher you can assault katrina (who is 14 years old in the japanese version of the game) and in policenauts you can assault ed's daughter (her age is never explicitly stated, but she's said to be a teenager). assaulting random women is literally a game mechanic in policenauts. there are zero repercussions for your actions in either of these games, besides katrina not letting you enter her house again for 5 whole minutes.

Damn. I never played those. I wonder if he's ever been asked about that stuff. Jeez.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would say that there absolutely have been problematic elements, but it's a bit bipolar considering he also does shit like write Meryl as a complex character, and the entirety of MGS3 is basically the Boss and Eva playing, manipulating, and being dominant over Solid Snake. Quiet was an incoherent awful mess though.
yeah, and that doesn't say he hates women, but absolutely sexist and problematic on how he writes women in his games.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah, and that doesn't say he hates women, but absolutely sexist and problematic on how he writes women in his games.

Agreed on that.

Honestly the vibe I get is that Kojima, if anything, is a bit of an obtuse/unaware/warped misandrist. Like, a lot of his stories have elements where he treats serious topics to do with women as hedonistic lols, but women are frequently extremely competent and overall portrayed better than men in the games of his that I've played. He'll i remember an interview with him where he pretty much said that he thinks women are generally better than men and not given enough credit, I'll try to find it, but then he has all of that stuff in his games and it's like 'DUDE!' XD

Also misandrist can loop back around and have mysoginistic elements.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the vibe I get is that Kojima, if anything, is a bit of an obtuse/unaware/warped misandrist. Like, a lot of his stories have elements where he treats serious topics to do with women as lols, but women are frequently extremely competent and overall portrayed better than men in the games of his that I've played.
Yeah, that's a good way to put it. He tried to portray Quiet as a strong, capable woman, but then does the rain scene. I'm omitting the video because the youtube cover makes me want to vomit.

At this point I'm not sure if I like the MGS franchise because I find myself shitting at it more than praising it.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's a good way to put it. He tried to portray Quiet as a strong, capable woman, but then does the rain scene. I'm omitting the video because the youtube cover makes me want to vomit.

At this point I'm not sure if I like the MGS franchise because I find myself shitting at it more than praising it.

MGS, to me, was god tier during MGS1-3. The portable games and 4 were messy and had me 'bargaining'. 5 looked like a true return to form but really was unfinished from top to bottom and completely destroyed(to me) the promise of the premise and MGS history. It was also probably worse written than ANY MGS before it.

In the end I am much more excited for Kojima to be making Death Stranding —Starting fresh with passion— than I am at seeing legitimate continuations of anything MGS.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MGS, to me, was god tier during MGS1-3. The portable games and 4 were messy and had me 'bargaining'. 5 looked like a true return to form but really was unfinished from top to bottom and completely destroyed(to me) the promise of the premise and MGS history. It was also probably worse written than ANY MGS before it.

In the end I am much more excited for Kojima to be making Death Stranding —Starting fresh with passion— than I am at seeing legitimate continuations of anything MGS.
I'm just looking forward on the gameplay. I've given up on him getting an editor or a good writer to help curb some of his dumbest plotlines/lore/character profiles. The mechanics in his games has just gotten better and better, but the opposite for the stories in his games.

no one is interested in holding him accountable for the shit he puts in his games.

Rather, they're enabling it. The danger with Sony's hand's off producing approach is we MIGHT get the worst of Kojima's stories.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The idea of judging someone's personality based on their creative output is pretty wonky. Like the comic "Bordertown" is super progressive and inclusive but that doesn't make it less likely that the allegations against the writer, that have surfaced a few days ago, are true.

Rather, they're enabling it. The danger with Sony's hand's off producing approach is we MIGHT get the worst of Kojima's stories.
Yeah, cause that's totally what Death stranding looks like so far...

Last edited:

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sony is being the most pro-active these days at stopping games with the sexualization of minors, or rape/assault when it has no contextual narrative or relation to an adult story.

At the very least some of the stuff that's come out in the past, would not get certification on the PS4 today. Steam is also doing some cleanup. I haven't seen much from MS or Nintendo yet, but in regards to MS it's mostly JRPGs and visual novels that are the offenders.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why is Kanye given a platform here? He is no better than people like boogie and Colin Moriarty.
He's not being given a platform. I expect anyone who tried to defend his poltical beliefs would recieve a warning. He's a prominent figure on planet earth and pretending he doesn't exist wouldn't solve anything.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony is being the most pro-active these days at stopping games with the sexualization of minors, or rape/assault when it has no contextual narrative or relation to an adult story.

At the very least some of the stuff that's come out in the past, would not get certification on the PS4 today.
god I sure hope so, because I can't deal if someone suddenly becomes scantily clad so that the monsters wont see them or some shit.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
god I sure hope so, because I can't deal if someone suddenly becomes scantily clad so that the monsters wont see them or some shit.

But that wouldn't be banned if it were of an age character. They're not doing a puritan purge, or trying to cleanup all smut, it's mostly focussed on underage or characters that look underage and I think in a few cases where rape/sexual assault is used as a game mechanic and not some attempt (whether it fails or not) to have it be part of an unfortunate story. Such as Senran pretty much using assault as a game mode.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Kanye is so self-obsessed, that he probably wants a piece of him in Death Stranding. Music, character, whatever. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

psychowave

Oct 25, 2017
btw, i want y'all to look at this thread's trend of men insisting that another man cannot possibly be a misogynist despite endless examples of misogyny in his work the next time you pat yourselves on the back for being such a progressive video game forum and not at all like those gamergate weirdos
I'm not saying it's not wrong, but you named one game. 30 years ago. Yet you keep saying "his games".
????? i literally named two. there's plenty of misogyny in his more recent games too, i'm not just talking about the shit in snatcher/policenauts.

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
btw, i want y'all to look at this thread's trend of men insisting that another man cannot possibly be a misogynist despite endless examples of misogyny in his work the next time you pat yourselves on the back for being such a progressive video game forum and not at all like those gamergate weirdos

????? i literally named two. there's plenty of misogyny in his more recent games too, i'm not just talking about the shit in snatcher/policenauts.

Please tell us more about how right you are and how wrong everyone else is, especially after posting such wonderfully nonprovocative stuff like "and yet his fanboys have his scrotum stuck so deep in their throats that they're apparently unable to speak out about it". What an engaging and thought provoking post.

You might have a raging hate boner for Kojima but people call him out when he does dumb shit like Quiet. Don't forget he created the Boss, one of the best female character to be featured in a video game.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Why should I be? Kojima has terrible sexist portrayals of women in his games. From Policenauts, to all the shit in MGS4, and Quiet. Then there's Paz, a character presented as being an underage schoolgirl which you can go on a date with as Snake during a special mention, and after certain conditions are met you can even get her in her underwear and grope her and get inside a box with her and fool around. That character, in a plot twist, is later revealed to be much older but that does not change the intent of that shit. Not to mention in the next game that same character is gang-raped, her friend who's a little boy is forced to rape her, and then later when her and the boy are alone she comes on to him and wants to have sex with him willingly. Then finally, she is killed by a bomb forced into her vagina.

Fuck Kojima.

I thought Paz was like mid 20's?

Still bizarre stories though.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I do think Kojima can get better with his female characters. And some of my favorite gaming female characters come from Kojima works--Meryl Silverburg, Sniper Wolf, Emma Emmerich, and The Boss (of course). Yes, he's fully worth criticizing for Quiet.

But this Kojima is a scum of earth, unredeemable and hates woman narrative based on poor writing is a rather extreme take. It misses the good characters and makes him to an artist that can't grow in this area. It's a now a condemnation of the man instead of a critique. Not to mention that he also seems rather liked by the actresses he's worked with as well.

This seems to be a common thing these days. There's a certain lack of mercy at fellow and fully fallible humans that are still growing.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

No ones saying that he can't be one, but to act like you know what kind of person he is solely based on his games is not a good way to go about it.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish people would stop holding to this view, I hear the same shit with George Lucas and the OT. Whatever initial ideas Kojima had he decided not to run with them. Characters don't come out fully formed and perfect upon their first thought, they are constantly worked, torn apart, debated, and put back together. That's part of the process, especially in the collaborative media of games. At the end of the day, Kojima is the Director and final world on any decision and he chose to go with The Boss in her final, glorious form.

So no, you can't say on the one hand as full creative director he gets no credit for creating The Boss and then with the other hand full blame him for any and all "pervy" elements in his games. Either he is fully responsible for his games (and thus the characters and themes they espouse) or he's not.
That poster tried to dismiss an argument with one good example out of the mountains of bad ones for Kojima with a character that was the result of a process that Kojima hasn't been eroded for a while in his games at least when it comes to characters.

Going by his solitary track record, yes, I think I will credit te creative mind(s) that was able to persuade him to have more restraint with the boss.