• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Because all of the focus is going to the Karen

www.complex.com

Taryn Manning of ‘Orange Is The New Black’ Will Reportedly Star in New Crime Thriller, ‘Karen’

'Karen' reportedly follows the story of a "racist, entitled white woman in the South who terrorizes her new African-American neighbors."

TMZ reports that Orange is the New Black's Taryn Manning (who plays Tiffany "Pennsatucky" Doggett in the Netflix series) will star as the lead in the new crime thriller. The writer and director helming the project will be Coke Daniels.

TMZ also added details about the plot, which could practically be likened to a mad lib of frequently trending topics from the past few months. The film is about a "racist, entitled white woman in the South who terrorizes her new African-American neighbors," TMZ described. The lead character's name will be "Karen White," who "makes it her mission to oust the new kids on her block, a black family, by any means necessary." Additionally, the neighbors are big supporters of Black Lives Matter.

Maybe I'm crazy but why would the film's focus be on the Karen versus the family being terrorized by her?

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
If the film was about the victims, it would just be any other black struggle drama, this gimmick makes it easy for an elevator pitch to sell to producers to get money. Maybe it does get into the black characters and give them more focus, it could still do that.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I don't think this will see the light of day, and rightfully so. What an absolutely terrible idea.

But with a director who's first name is "coke", who knows.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
I want to watch this just for the bullshit lmao.

Hollywood really giving up lol

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds awfully good you mean

Should be found footage

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it'll be well done, but nothing about this sounds the least bit interesting or creative.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
From the director of "Parking Lot Pimpin", oh this going to be good

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised it took this long. Surely there must have been a billion scripts they could have slightly reworked into a Karen horror movie.

May 24, 2019
I don't necessarily object. I could imagine it done right, but the director's previous work doesn't inspire confidence.
VqSkcnq.jpg

OP
OP

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Horror movies usually focus on the monster.

i suppose, but we're not usually following the story of the monster are we? feels like we are here though its early

tbh id rather just watch the black family perspective but this is a good point:

If the film was about the victims, it would just be any other black struggle drama, this gimmick makes it easy for an elevator pitch to sell to producers to get money. Maybe it does get into the black characters and give them more focus, it could still do that.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
i suppose, but we're not usually following the story of the monster are we? feels like we are here though its early

tbh id rather just watch the black family perspective but this is a good point:
Yeah, the only thing that actually makes this unique is the idea it's a literal 'Karen' movie - the pitch (and star casting) need to focus on that element, otherwise it's just any of the 50 'black family experiences racism' movies that have been made in the past decade.

Last edited:

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
Maybe I'm crazy but why would the film's focus be on the Karen versus the family being terrorized by her?

Because every movie like this does just that. The monster is the attraction. That's how it was with Samuel L. Jackson in Lakeview Terrace and Michael Keaton in Pacific Heights. This one just makes the monster motivated by racism, rather than simple craziness. I'm not sure why everyone thinks this is a bad idea. I mean, it may absolutely suck, but it might also be pretty good if they do it right; that they're seemingly focused more on Karen than the family doesn't mean they're going to make you sympathize with the monster.