• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lebon30

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The video - 52 minutes:

You all remember in the past months that some highly iconic games sold at some auctions for insane amount of money. Super Mario 64 (1.56M$), Super Mario Bros (2M$)... among others. It turns out that it may have linked to some fraud and deception. I highly suggest you watch the entirety of the 52 minutes video above before posting.

I don't want to write too much details because I don't want to badly explain the situation and evidence as well as to avoid spoilers.

I'll say this though: it directly affects the price of used retro games, even loose cartridges.

I want to spread the word as much as possible about this, so that this bubble bursts and get people charged.

Scam me if old.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: I'll watch first.

Ok, wow, it's not really surprising but when you lay it all down like that. I have a hard time believing this can even go on as is because this is fucking scummy practices, like downright illegal shit.

Hopefully this bubble bursts because it's not helping the true retro collecting passionates out there at all. Fascinating, well documented video all around.

Last edited:

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, gonna watch it tomorrow.
The video gane market is crazy right now. People are selling a graded copy of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, for ten times the original price...a game which is still available everywhere.

OP
OP
Lebon30

Lebon30

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Thanks, gonna watch it tomorrow.
The video gane market is crazy right now. People are selling a graded copy of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, for ten times the original price...a game which is still available everywhere.
This is exactly what Karl Jobst is exposing with this video. Your eyes will open once you are done watching.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Having watched the video, I'm just left with the opinion that this was always going to be the end game when it came to retro game collecting. I don't find any of this surprising in the slightest.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I always suspected shady practices with these ridiculous prices. I'm sure a lot of it is just rich people liquidating their cash into an investment and skirting around taxes and personal income. Or money laundering.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
im only 12 minutes in and what a scam

the first sale that kicked off this craze was from the owner of an auction house good lord.

Last edited:

kamen_tater

Oct 27, 2017
I hope all the outlets that wrote about the massive "sales" write about this and edit their old articles to include this at the top of the articles.

Oct 26, 2017
It was blatantly obvious that there was something seriously dodgy about a game as common as Mario 64 selling for 1.5 mil. It's actually quite funny how unsubtle they are.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
The only path to wealth for many is scam financialization. It's always been there but… lately it feels more like that's really all there is. From stuff like this to Elon Musk's entire business model.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all are supposed to be acting surprised, not showing actual surprise. Graded has always been and always will be a scam for things outlined in the video and past investigations where this kind of stuff keeps coming up.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Y'all are supposed to be acting surprised, not showing actual surprise. Graded has always been and always will be a scam for things outlined in the video and past investigations where this kind of stuff keeps coming up.

Yeah I remember EZA mentioning like a month ago how questionable these prices were. It's still nice to have a video that outlines the history for people who aren't aware.

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit the market manipulation going on here is BLATANT and they are only doing the bare minimum to obfuscate these facts

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Grading is one of those things I don't care in the least bit about. Like, I would understand it for truly rare things like the the NWC carts where there is a finite amount and it's one of those museum-worthy things (comparing on the Pokemon end to the Pikachu Illustrator csrd, where only a handful exists). Everything else? Investor stock.

Haven't watched this yet, but the whole thing like "are your old video games/Pokemon cards/etc worth MiLliOnS?" Unless you are sitting on sealed/mint stock of rare rare stuff, "no". Stop getting more people into it, it's ruining our hobby for those of us that can't just sneeze cash away :/

Oct 26, 2017
I'll say this though: it directly affects the price of used retro games, even loose cartridges.

No it doesn't. Graded boxes have absolutely no impact in how CIB/Loose games are sold. You can still find the NES Mario for $10 USD loose (as per pricecharting) or 230 USD CIB (since NES CIBs are pretty rare given the cardboard + inserts are difficult to preserve) irrespective of how much the graded boxes cost.

TCGs work in the same exact way. If you want to spend thousands of dollars for a card that's graded as PSA/Beckett 10 then sure, but the value of a loose card isn't directly influenced by the grades.

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All developing collectors' markets will inevitably go through this, it should be zero surprise that games were targeted.

Also zero surprise that one of the guys implicated in this was talking on an nft podcast, they're all different flavors of the same shit

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
Same nonsense that the card market deals with.. hell, any market that can be manipulated. These people are just greedy evil pricks.

OP
OP
Lebon30

Lebon30

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
No it doesn't. Graded boxes have absolutely no impact in how CIB/Loose games are sold. You can still find the NES Mario for $10 USD loose (as per pricecharting) or 230 USD CIB (since NES CIBs are pretty rare given the cardboard + inserts are difficult to preserve) irrespective of how much the graded boxes cost.

TCGs work in the same exact way. If you want to spend thousands of dollars for a card that's graded as PSA/Beckett 10 then sure, but the value of a loose card isn't directly influenced by the grades.
Disagreed. Heck, Karl even talks about it in the video proof at the ready.
People sell loose copies of Mario 64 and other games at rediculous prices on ebay over the worth of the full copy sold at the auction (1.8M$)

Example, this copy of Smash Bros 64: https://www.ebay.com/itm/203534638879 . It is NOT worth 3500$. No fucking way.
Or this copy of SM64: https://www.ebay.com/itm/224583263548 Is that really worth 1900$ ?!

This is not always the case, sure, but clearly, it HAS influence.

EDIT: https://www.ebay.com/itm/273826208423
www.ebay.com

Super Mario 64 - Nintendo N64 Game Authentic Geniune Original | eBay

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Super Mario 64 - Nintendo N64 Game Authentic Geniune Original at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Do these really are worth that? No.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
It's such an elegant scam. And they're doing it out in the open. They didn't even attempt to hide it.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i think the FTC is gonna cook this guy. they did it before they'll do it again.

the audacity to try the same scam 40 years later.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Unopened games gaining intangible, arbitrary value has always been really stupid to me. The fact that there's fraud tied to it as well is not surprising when the value of it can be ... $40,000,000 or $0.75 or 70 trillion doge coins because why not? It's an unopened electric good that will never do anything or function. It's not art (whole different world of potential fraud, money laundering, etc). It's just literally just an electric thing that was printed and shipped from a factory. It's no different than an unopened pack of discontinued batteries or a limited run of a toaster that ~OH MY GOD~ had a misprint on the label.

SecretCharacter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado Springs, CO
Anybody who follows high end collectibles knew this as it was happening. I made some remarks about the SM64 sale in it's own thread, but it's blatantly obvious that there's an unnatural pump in the market for no real reason.

Heck, I feel like the graded game market is a scam already. It's one thing to preserve a comic book or trading card that could be significantly rarer and more fragile than a game, but the whole point of encapsulating a boxed video game eludes me. Very few things in the hobby are that rare and the numbers being thrown around are just not lining up.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
People sell loose copies of Mario 64 and other games at rediculous prices on ebay over the worth of the full copy sold at the auction (1.8M$)

Example, this copy of Smash Bros 64: https://www.ebay.com/itm/203534638879 . It is NOT worth 3500$. No fucking way.
Or this copy of SM64: https://www.ebay.com/itm/224583263548 Is that really worth 1900$ ?!

EDIT: https://www.ebay.com/itm/273826208423
www.ebay.com

Super Mario 64 - Nintendo N64 Game Authentic Geniune Original | eBay

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Super Mario 64 - Nintendo N64 Game Authentic Geniune Original at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Do these really are worth that? No.

Yeah it def influences the regular market. Either from people who don't know better (the seller or the buyer posting/buying at those prices), or people snapping stuff up because "I need to grade it! Have you SEEN what graded ones go for?!" The graded market is a lot smaller than people tend to think, though. I've never seen a collector with more than a few graded... anything for their own personal collection. Never seen an exclusive graded-only collection, graded stuff is just made for investors, and change hands as a game of "profit hot potato".

suaveric

Nov 9, 2017
In the video they mention the FTC getting involved in the 80s and fining people for similar practices. I wonder if the same thing is about to happen?

Oct 26, 2017

Your argument is incomplete bids set by people. Like come on, this is textbook unrealistic ebay Buy It Now/bids that's available in any market (especially comics, cards, etc). Just because a seller puts a price/bid at a certain level, doesn't mean that there's inherent value at that specific price. There's a reason why these bids often go without a completed sale. We see this time and time again and it's a story as old as ebay's uprising in online shopping.

Look at the actual completed deals for better context: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...64+cib&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

The only egregious sales was the $560 for CIB Super Mario 64. Mind you this was opened, so the gradeability is hurt (although it doesn't stop someone from scamming by resealing). Otherwise, this is because there was 23 bids that forced the price up, so this person quite overpaid when you consider that other CIB SM64 averaged at around 150-175 dollars. Complete loose sales of averages at around 25-30 dollars. Not too far off from the price set in the last couple of years even when we factor the pandemic spike.

So no, this idea that graded boxes influenced prices of regular retro games is without merit, and disregards the conflation of price increases due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

To go a step further, if you track the gains over pricecharting's, the lineage follows the exact trend that Covid-19 increased the price of retro games as a whole (although the consistency is all over the place. Some Pokemon games remain sustained, and some have even rose like Pokemon Platinum).

Oct 27, 2017
Wow okay so that's how this shit started. Crooked ass assholes. And if any of you come to this VG forum and are reading through this thread,from the bottom of my heart Fuck You.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I'll also toss this up here, from this week. Their response is just "no we didn't!"

www.actionnetwork.com

Rovell: eBay Pulls PWCC Off Market Due to Shill Bidding

Those in the trading card industry were shocked Tuesday afternoon when a mass blast email from eBay said that it had restricted the selling privileges of its largest trading card seller, PWCC, as a result of what it said was shill bidding.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I'll also toss this up here, from this week. Their response is just "no we didn't!"

www.actionnetwork.com

Those in the trading card industry were shocked Tuesday afternoon when a mass blast email from eBay said that it had restricted the selling privileges of its largest trading card seller, PWCC, as a result of what it said was shill bidding.
They were "shocked", shocked I tell ya. I am wondering if there were actual laws that have been broken and if this company could be investigated for fraud.

Also, on the main subject, yeah, these sky high prices for graded games have always been suspect, much as a lot of expensive artwork. Got to be a whole lot of money ey laundering and tax evasion going on. Of course Feds don't bother with this as usual.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
That's a pretty strong case, I suspected it to be some kind of shenanigans when that Mario game blew up a bit ago but didn't think it was something nearly this messed up.

OP
OP
Lebon30

Lebon30

Oct 27, 2017
Canada

www.actionnetwork.com

Of course they're going "no we didn't". That's the first thing culprits say.