• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

stump sock

Oct 25, 2017
Played a couple levels on PC. It's hard to nail down what the framerate is, I think some of the rolling and physics is locked to a lower setting, it seems to speed up (or rather, smooth out) during transitions and non-rolling things. But the framerate counter in Steam stays at 144 the whole time, and it's hard to nail down otherwise just looking at it. I think we'll need DF or NX Gamer to give us a more specific answer to what it's doing. I wonder if this would count as a new game or part of DF Retro? lol

The game's smooth, though, no complaints about how it runs overall. It's been long enough since I've played the original that it doesn't feel that weird doing it with an X360 controller (I thought the offset sticks might feel weird compared to the side-by-side ones on Playstation, but it feels fine).

It's still Katamari, though, and it's still fun. No complaints except the wonky startup sequence before you can adjust the settings... that's an odd choice, but I'm past it, so it doesn't matter any more.
the framerate is driving me nuts. it seems like the in-game/ 3d elements are running at about 30fps but the UI and overlay are uncapped, which looks terrible when UI elements animate all smooth over the framey gameplay.

I hope to god someone fixes this

cnrm

Oct 25, 2017
the framerate is driving me nuts. it seems like the in-game/ 3d elements are running at about 30fps but the UI and overlay are uncapped, which looks terrible when UI elements animate all smooth over the framey gameplay.

I hope to god someone fixes this
If you want consistency your best bet would be locking the entire game to 30 with RTSS or something.
If the developers could have been able to get the whole game with an unlocked framerate I feel like they probably would have from the outset—like countless other games it seems like particular parts of the logic are tied to speed/framerate, but maybe I'm wrong. Still, I agree the framerate mismatch is pretty peculiar. 60 FPS or more across the board would have been good, but under circumstances like that I don't care personally.

Does anyone know what the framerate's like on Nintendo Switch? In other words, is it a hard 30 FPS lock? The easiest way to determine would probably be walking around the Home Planet, which plays out at unlocked framerates on PC at least.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
played the game for about an hour. it's just as amazing as i remembered it. the king is so awesome and dumb, and it's just a joy to roll stuff. i'm so glad they decided to port this game to modern platforms.
the king's dialog just cracks me up.
"your absent-mindedness"
"that was very boring to watch"

Does anyone know what the framerate's like on Nintendo Switch? In other words, is it a hard 30 FPS lock? The easiest way to determine would probably be walking around the Home Planet, which plays out at unlocked framerates on PC at least.
i think everything is locked at 30 on switch, but i can't say i'm 100% sure.

AlphaCookie

Nov 6, 2017
Washington
Ahh it feels good to roll again. Been years since I played any Katamari besides that endless runner phone game. First time playing it on a controller with asymmetrical sticks and it definitely throws me for a loop.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Plays like a dream on PC. Quite the regal port!

Some bright moments exist in this cruel and dark universe.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I am really struggling with the piss-poor controls and camera, even on simple mode. Turning around is a pain in the ass, I'm gaining a bunch of momentum out of nowhere and running into shit, fighting the camera, it's just really bad.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am really struggling with the piss-poor controls and camera, even on simple mode. Turning around is a pain in the ass, I'm gaining a bunch of momentum out of nowhere and running into shit, fighting the camera, it's just really bad.
Click both sticks to instantly flip to the other side of your ball. Running into shit is going to happen.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Click both sticks to instantly flip to the other side of your ball. Running into shit is going to happen.
It's a different control in simple mode, and half the time it just doesn't work.

Another gripe: getting hung up in corners or places you can't roll and getting out just chucks a bunch of items off your ball and you can't do shit

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a different control in simple mode, and half the time it just doesn't work.

Another gripe: getting hung up in corners or places you can't roll and getting out just chucks a bunch of items off your ball and you can't do shit
Eh, never messed with simple mode. Is it just control the ball with one stick and not two?

Also, things flying off your ball is to be expected, and you can go and reroll that stuff back up.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Eh, never messed with simple mode. Is it just control the ball with one stick and not two?

Also, things flying off your ball is to be expected, and you can go and reroll that stuff back up.
Ya it's just the one stick, you still use the second for context stuff though like turning. Maybe I'll try the motion controls

stump sock

Oct 25, 2017
using RTSS to lock it to 30fps completely fixes my issue. looks so much better with all elements now running at the same speed.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
Picked up a copy after work. I love me some Katamari. I'm using the pro controller and it's a little awkward without the lateral sticks. I'll get used to it.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
I've never played this before. Just downloaded the demo. The controls and camera seem....really bad? Took me like 30 seconds to realize how to even move the ball and now I'm awkwardly moving around the area and it feels really rigid?

Like what am I doing wrong here? Lol.

BourbonJungle

Nov 1, 2017
It appears as though I've got a bunch of characters to choose from, I can click on them, but can't play as them. Feel like I'm missing something super simple.

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
The controls are hell. I had a much better time trying out Touch My Katamari on the Vita :/

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
It appears as though I've got a bunch of characters to choose from, I can click on them, but can't play as them. Feel like I'm missing something super simple.
That's for a multiplayer mode. Cousins weren't playable in singleplayer until the second game, I think. It's really dumb they didn't add that, it'd be a nice nicety.

Last edited:

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
The controls are hell. I had a much better time trying out Touch My Katamari on the Vita :/
Yeah, that was the last and only other Katamari game I played, it was amazing, playing this feels like a big step down.

I've never played this before. Just downloaded the demo. The controls and camera seem....really bad? Took me like 30 seconds to realize how to even move the ball and now I'm awkwardly moving around the area and it feels really rigid?

Like what am I doing wrong here? Lol.
It's just bad. Sometimes the camera will make it transparent when you are behind an object, oftentimes it won't and your character is just blocked by something in the foreground, it's ridiculous.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
30 Euros, huh? I expected far worse. I won't pick it up for now because I have far too many things to play as is, but I'll be getting this definitely down the line. Only played that one Katamari on the Xbox 360 but it was hilarious, so I'll play this surely too.

Actually it's €20. Or even cheaper on the SWE/UK eShops (around €17.50).

I'm really excited for this. I absolutely loved the original, but then never played it or the sequels again. This'll be a trip down memory lane.

Is there any anti-aliasing on the switch version? The eshop screens look pretty rough.

No aliasing at all and it's too bad because IQ looks like dogshit, no hyperbole. Too bad because at 30fps for such a simple looking game the Switch could've easily gotten a nice coat of AA paint to make it shine.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
  • 30 FPS
  • English dub removed
  • 1080p max
  • Locked to 16:9
How disappointing. Better to stick with PCSX2 if you already own it on PS2. At least there you can play it in ultrawide at high resolutions.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rock Paper Shotgun's review (no score)
This remains the magical, bizarre, joyful and utterly peculiar game that earned its place in gaming history. It also remains very short (about four hours at a slow pace?), but also extremely replayable, with so many targets to meet. And it's very funny, in a super-dark way.

Is this PC, Switch exclusive?, any possibilities/hints of it appearing elsewhere down the line?
so far, yes. i think it'll come later, there's no reason for this game to remain exclusive. but sometimes platform choices don't make much sense.

Nov 5, 2017
I'm SUPER disappointed. The game is capped at 30fps on pc. The idea of playing Katamari in glorious 144fps, was a beautiful one, I even could have lived with 60fps. But 30fps is a refund for me. Shame, I was really looking forward to this game. Sure, the game is old, but if they ask a modern price, I expect at least a little adaptation to a modern Plattform.
I will rebuy if they ever fix it, but I have my doubts.

Oct 25, 2017
So I was thinking people would 100% sleep on this because Smash, but managed to grab the last copy at Gamestop while the guys behind were all "oh shit that drops today too!?"

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I was thinking people would 100% sleep on this because Smash, but managed to grab the last copy at Gamestop while the guys behind were all "oh shit that drops today too!?"
i hope it sells well enough that they consider remastering the sequel too. after that, it doesn't matter cuz i don't care about any of the non-takahashi sequels.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'll buy any Katamari game they decide to release. I have even downloaded the not good mobile games just to support the IP.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Very pleased with the Switch version so far. I didn't expect Namco to do such an accurate job with it, and all the 2D art looks amazing at 1080p.

i hope it sells well enough that they consider remastering the sequel too. after that, it doesn't matter cuz i don't care about any of the non-takahashi sequels.
This. The only really great Katamari games are We <3 Katamari and the first game. The level design and game structure isn't there for the later titles, and it needs to be a fully Keita Takahashi game.

I really hope this does well enough to justify We <3 Katamari! It's a shame Namco did zero marketing.