• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
bannertxdpe.jpg

[GENERAL INFO]
Publisher: Bandai Namco Entertainment
Developer: Namco (original), MONKEYCRAFT Co. Ltd (REROLL)
Platforms: Steam (Windows), Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One
Release Date: December 7th, 2018 (PC/Switch), November 20th, 2020 (PS4/XB1)
Price: $30, €20, £16, ¥3,456, CAN$40 (€30, £25 on PS4/XB1)
Supported Languages: English, Spanish, French, German, Italian and Japanese
Demo? yes, the Switch version has a demo
Game Size: 3.2 GB (Switch), 3 GB (Windows)

[WHAT IS KATAMARI DAMACY REROLL?]
Katamari Damacy
is a 2004 PS2 game directed by Keita Takahashi. In this game, you're a prince who is tasked by his father, The King of All Cosmos, to restore all the stars and planets after he accidentally wipes all of them out. You do that by rolling a ball (or a Katamari) over small stuff to make it bigger, so you can roll it over bigger stuff, and eventually getting it big enough to turn it into a star.
Also your father is a huge asshole.
The game is a cult-classic, loved for its kooky, wacky and quirky style/story/characters, its amazing soundtrack and its unique and fun gameplay.

Katamary Damacy REROLL is a remaster of the 2004 game for PC and modern consoles. New to this version are upgraded visuals, with high-res gameplay and cutscenes recreated in HD, as well as optional motion controls in the Switch version. Also this is the first time they game is being released in Europe.

[SCREENSHOTS]
[LINKS]
Official Japanese website
Metacritic (PC, 81)
Metacritic (Switch, 87)

OpenCritic (83)
Announcement trailer
Japanese announcement trailer
Launch trailer
Comparison video between the REROLL demo and the PS2 version
Ridin' by Chamillionaire feauturing Krayzie Bone
Developer interview

Last edited:

Cousin From Boston

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Nov 21, 2017
Great OT! I've been excited about the Switch's biggest December release since it's been announced! Hopefully it's a good remaster, the world needs more Katamari.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
there's been two reviews published so far:

PC Gamer, 85/100
Wonderfully weird and inventive. Katamari Damacy isn't perfect, but it holds its own impressively well 14 years on.

Twinfinite, 4/5
Katamari Damacy REROLL is a condensed, but immensely enjoyable experience. The controls are the main roadblock for sure, but they're not quite enough to detract from just how fun this game is. REROLL is a simple port of a simple game, refreshed for a newer audience, while also keeping all its charms and quirks intact. There's no better way to roll.

Last edited:

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
I'm ridiculously excited for this! Is there any chance I can preload this for Switch? Or do we know when it'll be available on the Eshop? I haven't picked up any Switch downloads on release before so I'm not sure the logistics of this.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Does the PC version come out this week? I can't even find a listing for it on Steam.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm ridiculously excited for this! Is there any chance I can preload this for Switch? Or do we know when it'll be available on the Eshop? I haven't picked up any Switch downloads on release before so I'm not sure the logistics of this.
it's not going to be up for pre-purchase, if it was it would been up by now (it's up for pre-purchase on the japanese shop tho). it's less than two days away, i'm extremely excited as well.

Does the PC version come out this week? I can't even find a listing for it on Steam.
i'm a little worried about that, it's weird that it still doesn't have a steam page. but the two reviews published so far have been for the pc version so they've sent out pc review codes.

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
Almost forgot about this until I saw the thread, ordered the physical Switch version, can't wait to relive the rolly days :)

Gong

Oct 25, 2017
Great OT. Katamari Damacy is still one of my favourite games from the PS2 era, can't wait to play this on my Switch.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Will definitely pick this up after I wind down with Smash. I'm a sucker for these weird creative games.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, is that really true?
yeah. the sequel, we love katamari, was the first katamari game released in europe.

Great OT. Katamari Damacy is still one of my favourite games from the PS2 era, can't wait to play this on my Switch.
thanks. me too, i've been super excited to replay this game on switch ever since they announced it. it's one of my favorite games of all time, i loved it on PS2.

wideface

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hidamari Apartments
Katamari Damacy is in my top 3 favorite games of all time, so I'm buying this as soon as possible.
Will double dip if they release a PS4 version.

softtack

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's been a while. I hope this captures the spirit of the PlayStation era Damacy games.

Gong

Oct 25, 2017
thanks. me too, i've been super excited to replay this game on switch ever since they announced it. it's one of my favorite games of all time, i loved it on PS2.

I still have my Japanese copy somewhere, I should go find it. I just couldn't bear to part with it due to fond memories when I sold my collection back in the day. Says how much I adored the game.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I'm hoping to hear some music impressions, in the trailer it sounded like it was different from the original OST which I hold pretty fondly. Even if I don't like the new music style it may be able to mod in the original ones on PC I guess.

Looking forward to rolling at 165hz though!

Don't forget, in 2004, this game was $20.
(Crying emoji)

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
Weird how there's no coming soon entry on the eShop for this (at least in the UK) is this really out on Friday? I'm so excited.

WE ❤️ KATAMARI is one of my most beloved PS2 games.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And they didn't bother to support German?
Not a huge deal for me, but disappointing nonetheless.
i'm not 100% sure about that, actually. i can only see the game on the japanese and american eshops, and it lists those four languages. if you have a german account, could you please check to see if the game is on the german eshop, and check the supported languages there?

Don't forget, in 2004, this game was $20.
i think i read it on era that it launched at $20, but once they saw its success they increased the price. i'm not sure if that's true tho.

Weird how there's no coming soon entry on the eShop for this (at least in the UK) is this really out on Friday?
that's weird, it has a page on the US eshop for like a month now.

Jan 2, 2018
i'm not 100% sure about that, actually. i can only see the game on the japanese and american eshops, and it lists those four languages. if you have a german account, could you please check to see if the game is on the german eshop, and check the supported languages there?

I tried, but couldn't find it on the eShop or on the german Nintendo homepage.
Strange. Is it perhaps like The Missing, which also didn't release here because of the different rating board? Or I'm just blind, I don't know.

Edit: The Missing did release here! I know what I have to buy now!

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I tried, but couldn't find it in on the eShop or on the german Nintendo homepage.
Strange. Is it perhaps like The Missing, which also didn't release here because of the different rating board? Or I'm just blind, I don't know.
they've handled the whole thing pretty weirdly, in japan they've been able to download the demo and pre-purchase the game for a while now, on the US eshop it's been up as a coming soon game for like a month, and there's no sign of the game on other eshops or steam.

I'm so excited for this! Does this one have multiplayer?
it has local co-op with two joycons

Jan 2, 2018
they've handled the whole thing pretty weirdly, in japan they've been able to download the demo and pre-purchase the game for a while now, on the US eshop it's been up as a coming soon game for like a month, and there's no sign of the game on other eshops or steam.

Strange. And on Friday I will be consumed by Smash, so I have to check back on your OT later this month to see if the issue has been resolved.

Camstun187

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
China

i think i read it on era that it launched at $20, but once they saw its success they increased the price. i'm not sure if that's true tho.

that's weird, it has a page on the US eshop for like a month now.
The sequel was 30, the original never changed price

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Strange. And on Friday I will be consumed by Smash, so I have to check back on your OT later this month to see if the issue has been resolved.
yeah it's a shame it's kinda being sent to die, being released on the same day as the biggest switch game of the year
there's no issue to resolve tho, the game will be released everywhere on friday, it just doesn't have the coming-soon page in all the eshops

Shame there's no EU/UK physical version, gonna have to be a skip for me unfortunately. Love the first game too!
if importing is something you may consider, the japanese physical version will most likely have english support

The sequel was 30, the original never changed price
i see, someone lied to me then 😤

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Put in a reservation for in-store pickup at my local Gamestop over the weekend. Smash's gonna have to wait, I got to clump up some souls, goddammit.

I almost bought a PS2 just to play this back in 2005. Glad I'm finally getting the opportunity to.

Deleted member 33571

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Helllll yeah I'm psyched for this game.... although I'd be lying if I said it won't be on the backburner for at least a lil while before I get to it hah
I've actually only ever owned the PSP one, which I think had most of the same levels, despite having played it at random over the years, but hopefully some of this will be new to me, seriously one of my favorite series

Great font choices in the OP too

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
While Shadow of the Colossus was the game that broke me down and got me to buy a PS2, this was actually the first PS2 game I ever bought, even before I owned the PS2. I am so excited to play (and finally finish it this time) this again!

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is GameStop releasing it Thursday instead of Friday?

One of the employees said it's the day before Smash when I joked about the release date and the receipt says 12/6 and on the website it says the digital version is 12/6.

Hope they didn't put me down for a download code..

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Is GameStop releasing it Thursday instead of Friday?

One of the employees said it's the day before Smash when I joked about the release date and the receipt says 12/6 and on the website it says the digital version is 12/6.

Hope they didn't put me down for a download code..

When I made my in-store pickup reservation the website said the 6th, but it says the 7th now so...who knows?

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great font choices in the OP too
i wanted to use wingdings too but couldn't get it to work in the image editor :)

Ah that makes me feel better. The debut trailer used a remix or something I think and had me scared
i think if they had new or "remastered" music they would have mentioned it by now, so it's safe to assume this port will have the original soundtrack. i just hope there's no okami-situation where one [or more] of the tracks end up missing.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Smash will wait. Katamari Damacy is a literally perfect video game and I can't wait to play it again.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Who was the smart person who thought of such an awful release date? The same day of Smash, really? I mean I want to buy it, but maybe later...

Deleted member 12162

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm excited for this game! I've played one Katamari game back on the X360, and now we're getting one on Switch! Has there been any word on how it runs?