• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Whoa, had no idea the physical release was exclusive to Gamestop. I'll need to go reserve a copy tomorrow.

Damn, I was just there today picking up my copy of Toki.

Apr 8, 2018
Oh man, I almost forgot this was coming out Friday. Never played Damacy, but I remember having fun with We Love Katamari for PS2 back in the day. Will be picking it up for sure.

vix

Nov 18, 2017
If I had a switch, I'd be all over this. And I doubt my PC will be able to run it. Makes me sad. KD holds a special place for me in my gaming history and I'd love to be able to play it again but prettier.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hilarious thread title.

I just played the demo. It took me a bit to relearn the controls, but I relearned fast enough and had fun rolling up the mice.

The Prince for Smash!

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I laugh out loud due to the OT title. Fantastic.

I still haven't finished the original PS2 game. Maybe I will play it first there instead of buying this remaster. This is not clever to release this game same date as Smash.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Heck yeah, I'll play through this again. Shame they didn't bundle this and We Love Katamari together, but hopefully that gets remade down the line too. It's a good month for Switch. (This, Smash, Dragon Quest Builders 2)

Ging

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm only worried about one thing, that the original songs have not been removed.

I don't want what happened in Super meatboy with audio licensing issues to reoccur

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Never knew it wasn't released in Europe. How crazy.

Anyway, one of my favorite games and series of all time. It's a magical little game.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this getting released in Europe on the 7th? I can't find it anywhere on the eShop.
it should be, as they've said nothing about the game having a different release date in other regions. we'll see tomorrow, maybe they plan to just release it without making a coming-soon page for it. it's not on steam yet either.

I'm only worried about one thing, that the original songs have not been removed.

I don't want what happened in Super meatboy with audio licensing issues to reoccur
a meatboy situation isn't going to happen, this version has the same soundtrack as the original, and one of the reviews mentions that "the music is largely unchanged". all the music in the demo are from the original as well.
at worst we may find out that one or two of the songs aren't included, which is also terrible but it's different from having an entirely new soundtrack.
considering all the songs were recently licensed for the vinyl release of the soundtrack, i don't think there should be any licensing issues and i hope all the songs are included.

Heck yeah, I'll play through this again. Shame they didn't bundle this and We Love Katamari together, but hopefully that gets remade down the line too. It's a good month for Switch. (This, Smash, Dragon Quest Builders 2)
if WLK was included that would have been an AMAZING package. i just hope this sells enough that they consider rerolling that one too.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they've handled the whole marketing for this SO badly, it's a day before release and there's no info or gameplay videos or anything on the PC version, and so little on the switch version, never mind the fact that it's being released on the worst possible date.
it would be really shitty if they use the excuse of this not selling well to not continue with the series, when they've done pretty much everything wrong.

Anyone find more impressions on the pc version?

some impressions of the PC version by Freezard
So I got the early access of Katamari Damacy REROLL and my first impression isn't very good. The controls and camera are horribly outdated, looks like they didn't touch them at all. Wish they'd use something simple like Super Monkey Ball, now it feels like rocket science to move where you want to. Also the game starts in low res window mode with super loud audio and you can't change settings until you complete the tutorial, but that's hopefully just an early access thing.

the PC Gamer review mentions similar issues:
You have to go through the tutorial before you can fiddle with the resolution, so on a modern monitor you're stuck with a windowed display until then. I also couldn't switch to a controller until I got past the tutorial and the keyboard controls areā€¦ quite something. I mean, for a speed boost you need to alternately tap W+K and S+I quickly. I do not advise using the keyboard controls.

it's a shame the pc port has technical issues.

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
Ooof, forgot about this. So hey, thanks for the reminder, I guess.

Just finished ordering my physical copy. Kinda sucks that as a European I have to import if I want physical. But that's the price for being old-school and wanting my little box.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"The controls and camera are horribly outdated, looks like they didn't touch them at all."

Saying it like its a bad thing, whatever.

The day has come!

oi2dbmfzcogwnkuvscd5.png

Narasumas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Melbourne, Florida
Time to become KING OF THE COSMOS again!!!!!!! This is one of my all time favorites! So glad it's coming to Switch for anytime, anywhere pick up and play.

Soundtrack is one of the GOATs.

Edit: pretty good OT name, lol.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, i don't think anyone expected them to change those. this isn't a remake.
They simply can't embrace the sheer joy of rescuing this from imperfect emulation, seriously, I'm going to freak the fuck out!

Time to become KING OF THE COSMOS again!!!!!!! This is one of my all time favorites! So glad it's coming to Switch for anytime, anywhere pick up and play.

Soundtrack is one of the GOATs.

Edit: pretty good OT name, lol.
Katamari Damacy REROLL |OT| Hoshino Family Drama Pt. 1

Narasumas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Melbourne, Florida
Any Switch motion controls impressions?

Great job with the thread cover btw OP!
I preordered with GameStop already....but hold the phone.....there's motion controls!? Quoting this, also asking for impressions. Wondering if they're any good? I can see the control scheme being held like a sessions of ARMSā€” both joycon acting as vertical joysticks. Interesting...

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamnit... Katamari is one of my favorite games of all time, but I'm not sure if I wanna spend $30 on this right now. To the wishlist it goes.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I preordered with GameStop already....but hold the phone.....there's motion controls!? Quoting this, also asking for impressions. Wondering if they're any good? I can see the control scheme being held like a sessions of ARMSā€” both joycon acting as vertical joysticks. Interesting...
it's kinda like that, yeah. thankfully it's optional. i'll try them so see if they're any good, but i expect i'll go right back to dual analog controls

i posted two reviews in post #4. both for the pc version and both positive.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Is this coming out in Europe too? I don't see it on the eShop at all.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's supposed to release everywhere, on both platforms, tomorrow. don't know why they haven't put up game pages on steam or european eshops yet, very weird.

Sorry, I meant no Switch reviews?
no switch reviews yet, no. it's the same game as the PC version so those reviews should give you a good idea about the game, and you can download the demo tomorrow to see how it runs on switch. i tried the demo from the japanese eshop and it ran perfectly fine, in both handheld and docked modes. you can watch this video if you want to see how much the visuals have improved in the switch version compared to the original game on PS2.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I still play this on my PS3 via PS2 classics every now and then. I'm almost done with it. (leaving games unfinished is the central theme in my gaming life).

I'm not spending $30 for HD but hopefully more people get exposed to this series and it can be revived.

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California
I'm really excited for this. I absolutely loved the original, but then never played it or the sequels again. This'll be a trip down memory lane.

Is there any anti-aliasing on the switch version? The eshop screens look pretty rough.

Any hope of them releasing Noby Noby Boy? That was an amazing game to unwind with after work.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
It's still listed as December 7th on Bandai Namco's European site, so presumably it will release tomorrow, but yeah, they're being very silent for a company publishing a game tomorrow. They haven't even mentioned it on Twitter since mid September.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
30 Euros, huh? I expected far worse. I won't pick it up for now because I have far too many things to play as is, but I'll be getting this definitely down the line. Only played that one Katamari on the Xbox 360 but it was hilarious, so I'll play this surely too.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ that thread title hurts.
seriously tho, it's like if you were to publish your indie game on ps4/xbo on the same day as RDR2. just, like, don't do that.

Is there any anti-aliasing on the switch version? The eshop screens look pretty rough.
doesn't seem like there's anti-aliasing. i enjoy it because the kinda-pixelated graphics work well with the pixelated textures, but that's just me.

They haven't even mentioned it on Twitter since mid September.
that's very lame. don't know why they care so little about their own product. it's more weird when you consider that this is basically the game's debut in europe.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Gonna pick this up along with that other Namco game coming out tomorrow on Switch.

This is gonna be amazing on portable. When I had my Vita, Touch My Katamari was my only game for it and it was a great portable experience. And I never played the original so hopefully it'll be fresh!

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I may wind up impulse buying this tomorrow when I grab my Sega classics game from gamestop

corn_fest

Oct 27, 2017
Katamari is an all-time classic and I'm glad it's not stuck on PS2 anymore, but I really really wish they'd included We Love Katamari as well. It's so much more interesting. As it stands I'll pass on this.