• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Assuming the port is good I'll grab this. Loved playing it back in the day, such a strange and wonderful game.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I will definitely get this again at some point but may hold off at launch. For a blast from the past, here is a pic of me at E3 in 2005. I have a very strange expression on my face but I was so freaking excited to take a photo with The Prince. I also kind of marvel at how thin I was then.. the good ol days of being poor in college.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait, launches on my birthday.

Although an article I saw said the digital version was out the 30th of November, so I'm just anxious now. Only played the games here and there at back in the day, but love 'em.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Damn shame they've gimped the PC version as much as the PC Gamer review suggests. Having to complete the tutorial just to access graphics and controls options sounds like a disastrous first impression for Steam players who have different expectations. Since I'm not into conspiracies about companies messing up PC versions to make console ones more attractive (edge cases aside), this just seems like Bamco's oddly selective about which of their PC releases deserve proper preparations. Would it kill them to adopt a consistent PC release quality and accessibility strategy?

I'm still in, though, whether on PC or Switch. This game's still one of my all-time favorites, mainly for how it marries crazy ideas with solid old-school mechanics. Maybe the PC version has mod potential, too.

Shawn6661

Oct 27, 2017
Nice ! I ll grab that and Killer7 when its 50% off on steam. I'm excited but also angry at buying the same game again.

Tb0ne07

Apr 16, 2018
Fyi Gamestop moved the release date to the 7th in the States. They are not allowed to sell it until 6pm Est. today (6th)

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
Looking forward to playing this classic again, although holding off until the end of the month to buy the Japanese physical release alongside Onimusha. Will be a good way to start 2019.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
does anyone know when the game will go up on the eshop? it's on the 7th, but at what hour? i'm talking about the US eshop.

Damn shame they've gimped the PC version as much as the PC Gamer review suggests. Having to complete the tutorial just to access graphics and controls options sounds like a disastrous first impression for Steam players who have different expectations. Since I'm not into conspiracies about companies messing up PC versions to make console ones more attractive (edge cases aside), this just seems like Bamco's oddly selective about which of their PC releases deserve proper preparations. Would it kill them to adopt a consistent PC release quality and accessibility strategy?
the port is done by a studio called monkeycraft, looking at their past work they've only done mobile, 3DS and switch games so that may explain the shoddy pc version. bamco should have gotten a studio with experience to do the PC port.

Crisium

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to it. The sequel is superior, but this one is still timeless and arguably has a better soundtrack.

KLonso

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to picking up my pre-order tomorrow (and Smash too but we all know what the bigger release is).

I just wish there was some way for me to play Katamari Forever without having to dust off my PS3

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Still sad that Europe gets no physical release.

First we get shafted with the original PS2 entry never coming out here and now this. Why is Bamco Europe so mean?

ephexia

Feb 23, 2018
Man I can't wait to play this again after all these years. Do the reviews say if the PC port natively supports DualShock 4?

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
does anyone know when the game will go up on the eshop? it's on the 7th, but at what hour? i'm talking about the US eshop.

the port is done by a studio called monkeycraft, looking at their past work they've only done mobile, 3DS and switch games so that may explain the shoddy pc version. bamco should have gotten a studio with experience to do the PC port.
I don't mean to absolve Monkeycraft for doing a disappointing port, but it's also likely that Bamco didn't dedicate enough resources and consideration towards this PC release to begin with. Misalignment between commercial parties working on a release can often cause more trouble than one party doing a notably bad job. We may or may not learn more later, of course.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't mean to absolve Monkeycraft for doing a disappointing port, but it's also likely that Bamco didn't dedicate enough resources and consideration towards this PC release to begin with. Misalignment between commercial parties working on a release can often cause more trouble than one party doing a notably bad job. We may or may not learn more later, of course.
yeah i guess. thankfully with pc versions there's more of a chance of fans fixing the issues and making the port more acceptable. of course fans shouldn't have to do that, but that's the way it is sometimes with pc ports.

DORK

Oct 29, 2017
7am and no sign of the game on the AU eShop. Is it coming out today or not?

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
7am and no sign of the game on the AU eShop. Is it coming out today or not?
For Europe I've noticed that anything that isn't on the eShop before it's officially available for purchase tends to appear on release date at some random time during the day, sometimes as late as the afternoon. Perhaps it's similar for Australia.

DORK

Oct 29, 2017
For Europe I've noticed that anything that isn't on the eShop before it's officially available for purchase tends to appear on release date at some random time during the day, sometimes as late as the afternoon. Perhaps it's similar for Australia.

Thanks, I'll keep checking throughout the day!

Nine

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
So has anyone had success yet in going to or at least calling their local GameStop to try and pick this up? Theoretically was able to be picked up 20 minutes ago?

I get off in half an hour and would love to stop by after work and grab for the night before Smash.

cnrm

Oct 25, 2017
The PC version came out early and I just bought it, some impressions:

- Katamari Damacy Reroll is powered by Unity which I didn't expect, so that was surprising to find out
- The game starts in a 1280x720 window and it's impossible to change it until you finish the tutorials and first stage and such
- The core gameplay is seemingly 30 FPS, but some things play out at 60 (2D HUD stuff, King of All Cosmos interactions, running around your hub world, some of the Prince's animations across the board, maybe more?)

These are the display options:

OXHmhas.png

For anyone morbidly curious, here's the KB controls:

zVmm8R1.png

Here's how the gamepad controls look on PC for comparison, par for the course:

69LkJWB.png

Last edited:

cnrm

Oct 25, 2017
Update - Posted this in another thread:

PSA: If your image quality looks off after changing resolutions, restart the game.

Almost everything looked like a pixelated mess here after I switched from 720p to 1080p in-game. (Make sure to enlarge, etc.)

BtmxcT6.png

By restarting the game, it seems to render fully at the native resolution instead.
I'm still trying to figure everything out myself. If you have the same issue, try that I guess.

R1wYMmh.png

Last edited:

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Switch version has just appeared in Europe.

€20 rather than the €30 listed in the OP so that was a nice surprise.

Nine

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
For what it's worth, I called GameStop and they said they are indeed selling it now. Picking it up shortly! Central time zone here.

cnrm

Oct 25, 2017
Did they remove the English voice acting in story cutscenes? I just got to the first scene and it was only in Japanese. I don't think there's an option for voice language or anything. Really peculiar.

I got too caught up in my excitement of playing to notice this is reaffirmed on Steam too.
Z0GQS53.png

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just got it on the UK eShop, feels good from playing the first level. Nothing seems off or broken, just nicely upscaled from the original. I guess it's a pretty straightforward port, but for £16, I ain't gonna complain. Put a smile on my face going through the opening again and reminiscing on playing the Japanese version in my first year of uni and utterly baffling my then-new mates from my course. Gonna take some getting used to the stick positions...

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
- The core gameplay is seemingly 30 FPS, but some things play out at 60 (2D HUD stuff, King of All Cosmos interactions, running around your hub world, some of the Prince's animations across the board, maybe more?)
I think everything with animations runs at an uncapped framerate. Meaning, any animals running around move around at 30 FPS, but their animation is smoother. It's so damned weird.

cnrm

Oct 25, 2017
I think everything with animations runs at an uncapped framerate. Meaning, any animals running around move around at 30 FPS, but their animation is smoother. It's so damned weird.
Yeah, uncapped might make more sense, I was a bit careless in hindsight since I'm playing with vsync on at 60 hz so I couldn't speak for anything higher.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Cross-posting from the Steam thread, but I did a direct capture (Shadowplay) of some PC gameplay if you're interested to see how it runs:

*let me know if it's not cool to post my own videos, and I can remove the link