• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Crisium

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope We Love Katamari eventually gets the same treatment as this game did. There's a lot more there that I kept pining for while playing the original game.

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing Beautiful Katamari get a modern port either. I could be wrong but isn't it the only Katamari game that can actually achieve 60 FPS during gameplay? Here's some footage that seems to affirm that. I think Katamari Forever was 30 FPS by contrast but it's been years since I last played it (and I'd be remiss if i didn't mention the vast majority of Forever's levels are recycled anyway; Beautiful was 'original' content in both levels and music for what it's worth). Forever was the first time Bandai Namco outsourced a core Katamari game to a different company than Now Production for better or worse—development was handled by Genki, of all people.

Beautiful Katamari is underrated imo. Obviously it's lacking compared to We Love Katamari, but it's at least a good as the original.

I want them both ported.

vix

Nov 18, 2017
Beautiful Katamari is underrated imo. Obviously it's lacking compared to We Love Katamari, but it's at least a good as the original.

I want them both ported.
I agree. BK is not as bad as everyone says. It does have some clever levels and design. Sure it might be missing some flair and charm but it was still katamari at it's core and it was fun.

Deleted member 21601

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just woke up. The first thing in my head was sing: NA NA NA NA NAAAA KATAMARI DAMACYYYYY.

2 min later and I bought the game on Switch. Waiting for the download right now :o

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Games Machine (8.4/10), google translation
Katamari Damacy Reroll brings on the Nintendo Switch (and PC) the madness of a title remained virtually unique. A similar concept was recently introduced in another puzzle game, Donut County, unfortunately not with the same results in terms of quality. At a distance of almost fifteen years the gameplay of the game of Takahashi is still fresh, as just came out from the headquarters Namco. The plus of portability makes it a perfect travel companion for "hit and run" games, but a few extra extra would not have displeased us.

BaziCenter (8/10), translated from farsi by me
Overall, Katamari Damacy Reroll is still a very entertaining title (after close to 15 years) that's going to be very enjoyable not only for old fans of the series, but for newcomers as well. The game can be enjoyed for a long time thanks to its repetition-based gameplay. Just make sure you plug in a controller before you start the game.

Last edited:

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
After finishing this I need more Katamari, I hope they port the others to the Switch and give us a new one.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just picked this game up last night. It's my first time playing a Katamari game and it's a lot of fun.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
This is my first time playing Katamari. I remember the original game coming out in Europe but I was a kid with no money at the time so I never got around to it.
So far I'm loving it, on the fourth "make a star" level so still very early but I do have one problem. Which is the lack of a "restart stage" option in the pause menu. Already I've realised I'm not going to finish stage and had to quit out of it.
This is such a bizarre omission in a lot of games actually. Did nobody while playtesting this mess up and want to start the stage again?

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a first-time player, the controls are a real struggle for me. I'll put in some more time but it's taking away from my enjoyment of the game.
someone said it very well itt, think of the two sticks as two wheels. if you want to move left, they both have to move left. if you want to go backwards, they both have to go backwards, if you want to turn, one has to go forward and one has to go backwards, once you figure it out it feels very natural.

This is my first time playing Katamari. I remember the original game coming out in Europe but I was a kid with no money at the time so I never got around to it.
So far I'm loving it, on the fourth "make a star" level so still very early but I do have one problem. Which is the lack of a "restart stage" option in the pause menu. Already I've realised I'm not going to finish stage and had to quit out of it.
This is such a bizarre omission in a lot of games actually. Did nobody while playtesting this mess up and want to start the stage again?
yeah it sucks, but one thing you have to consider is that the time limits are pretty generous. unless you're really fucking up, chances are you'll make it in time. your katamari is going to start growing exponentially once you hit a certain point and can pick up certain items, so even when you think you have to restart, you still may reach the goal in time.

Last edited:

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm digging the Simple Controls. They make the game bearable for someone who just wants to relax and roll lol.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DarkStation (5/5)
Katamari Damacy Reroll doesn't deal in supervillains, rescuing the damsel in distress, or saving the world (think about the premise long enough, though, and it's more about vaporizing people and parts of the planet into stardust). It trades in pure fun and joy, traits reflective of the game's director Keita Takahashi who left game development for a brief period to design playgrounds and collaborate with his wife, a pianist and composer. The bright and fuzzy charm that captivated people fourteen years ago still feels fresh and original. The game may not have much replayability after it ends, apart from replaying levels to make bigger stars, but it's worth keeping around whenever there's need for a moment or two of calm and mindless fun.

Digitally Downloaded (5/5)
There is nothing like Katamari Damacy out there. The original came out with the PlayStation 2, and since then other developers have either been too terrified to try and put their spin on it, or had too much respect for how brilliant it is to even try. It obviously very niche, and as with any other example of surrealism, a lot of people are going to completely miss the appeal of Katamari Damacy Reroll. Polarising as it might be, it's something everyone should try, because it's also the perfect example of how games can be used to a genuinely artistic outcome.

TheSixthAxis (9/10)
Whenever there's a conversation about video games and if they can be considered art, Katamari Damacy needs to be involved. 15 years ago, it arrived on PlayStation 2 touting an absolutely unheard of style of gameplay, art and music. 15 years later on the Nintendo Switch, and it remains one of a kind. Katamari Damacy is a wholly unique video game, and it is an unabashed love letter to the copy-and-paste pop aesthetic of Japanese 1990s pop culture. It's bright, weird, silly and cute, and is a must play for anyone, anywhere.

Worth Playing (9/10)
Katamari Damacy Reroll succeeds in replicating the magic of the original title, with only minimal improvement needed to make it appealing to modern audiences. The core concept remains unique among the greater swath of games, and the simple act of using everyday objects to create a whimsical ball of destruction never gets old. The goofiness remains, as does the wonder of seeing what kinds of random things you'll pick up. Katamari Damacy Reroll is a classic and a must-have for just about every Switch owner.

Everyeye.it (8.8/10), terrible google translation
Net of some textures that show the sign of time, flanked by a polygonal count generally tending towards the bottom, the artistic direction and immediate gameplay of Katamari Damacy keep their charm intact even after almost fifteen years. Crazy, alienating, funny: a title that every gamer should try at least once. If for the first time fans the Reroll version is a practically obligatory purchase, even the most anchored users to a more canonical vision of the videogame medium should grant Takahashi's work a few hours of their time: the Prince's epic space could really to steal a little bit of their heart, and to unite it to that sphere with which to give life to an entire universe.

Hardcore Gamer (4/5)
Katamari Damacy Reroll is just as fun today as it was fourteen years ago. The game can be completed in around six hours but offers a lot of replay in trying to capture all the different items hidden throughout the world. There aren't any noticeable upgrades or new features included, but honestly it doesn't really need any. Katamari Damacy was a unique and bizarre game that offered simple fun in lieu of a complex and twisting narrative. This title may be short and repetitive, but it's extremely difficult to play this and not have a good time. Whether a newcomer or a fan of the PlayStation 2 version, the odd gem of a game should be included in every Switch owner's library.

CGMagazine (8/10)
Few titles seem to capture the timelessness that Katamari Damacy Reroll does. It's bright visuals and silly play style are just as fun and unique now as they were years ago. Rolling to see how big you can get and whose lives you can interfere with is still a blast. While its new control scheme and play modes add very little, they don't take away from how good it is to see this game in vibrant HD color.

Easy Allies (8/10)
Katamari Damacy is still very much worth playing, especially if you haven't done so before. It is disappointing how barebones the rerelease feels at the asking price of 30 dollars. Bandai Namco should have made Katamari's rerolling onto the scene just a little more spectacular, but even with those grievances, it is without a doubt a gem of a game. Katamari is still just as ridiculous and heartwarming as it was on the PlayStation 2.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just beat it... I totally forgot about the ending.... Oh man. Always loved that insanely wonderful end theme.

6y5k3h809he11.jpg

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Debating whether or not to get this for my gf. She played a lot of Donut Country, so not sure if the gameplay will be stale for her. Worse comes to worst, I'll just replay it haha. If this was We Love Katamari instead, it would be a no-brainer.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
COGconnected (90/100)
Katamari Damacy Reroll doesn't really add much in regards to new content, which is disappointing, but not a dealbreaker by any stretch. Unlike other remasters, Monkeycraft went for the "optimize the crap out of it and make it look pretty" approach and instead gave us a visually updated version of what is already a very complete game with a surprising amount of replayability that is as immensely fun as it was back in the day. Whether you're a longtime fan or a newbie that's looking to try something a little different, rest assured that Katamari Damacy Reroll is the best way to get acquainted with this bizarre, yet endearing franchise. Here's to hoping this isn't our last visit from The Prince and King of All Cosmos.

Gaming Age (B+)
REROLL doesn't deviate too much from the original that came out almost 15 years ago and frankly that's a great thing. It's a short experience, but its replay value is pretty high. Completing the collection, finding all the presents, unlocking all the cousins for multiplayer, getting comets for beating each stage's par time, and building the biggest katamari possible on each stage should keep players occupied for a while. Frankly after a hard day, rolling up a giant katamari that consist of everyday objects as well as screaming humans can be cathartic, and being able to do so on the go makes the Switch a great therapeutic device. REROLL hopefully will introduce a new generation to this quirky series and maybe more remakes will occur, after all We Heart Katamari is the pinnacle of the series.

NintendoWorldReport (7.5/10) ...dizzy?
If you've never played Katamari before, there's no reason not to pick this up over the original release on the PS2. The game is still a delight, and while it may make you dizzy, picking up objects and watching your katamari grow with all sorts of random objects will always be a delight. If you've played this before, though, there's really nothing new here that's worth trying out.

Oct 27, 2017
Just bought the game and played the tutorial, this is right up my alley.

Cant wait to play a bit more, everything looks and sounds fantastic.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It's the low frame rate, combined with the scale of the world around you. When you are small, there are lots of large objects up close to the camera, so turning results in lots of fast motion across most of the screen. That will make many people dizzy/motion sick.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's the low frame rate, combined with the scale of the world around you. When you are small, there are lots of large objects up close to the camera, so turning results in lots of fast motion across most of the screen. That will make many people dizzy/motion sick.
thanks, i didn't think about that since i don't get motion sickness from video games.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love KD and still have my OG preorder gift Christmas Ornament hanging on my tree. That said, everyone loving this game really should play Donut County on Switch. It's a great if very short Katamari-game that really does a lot.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love KD and still have my OG preorder gift Christmas Ornament hanging on my tree. That said, everyone loving this game really should play Donut County on Switch. It's a great if very short Katamari-game that really does a lot.
i'm really looking forward to getting that game once i've cleared a bit of my backlog. i was going to get it on mobile but then the switch version came, so i'm glad i waited.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is not meant to be port begging, but is there a chance this will release on ps4?
we don't know yet, but it definitely makes sense for it to come to ps4/xbo as well. this is an easy port and i doubt nintendo has any kind of exclusivity deals on it. it's likely bamco's decision to focus on these two platforms at launch, and bring others at a later date.
the games is doing EXTREMELY well on switch (#3 on the eshop now, and that's in the busy holiday season) so i think they have to be happy with how it's doing. i don't think it'll do as well on ps4/xbo but it still should be a low cost port that can break even fast and become profitable.

Last edited:

Jakke_Koala

Sep 28, 2018
we don't know yet, but it definitely makes sense for it to come to ps4/xbo as well. this is an easy port and i doubt nintendo has any kind of exclusivity deals on it. it's likely bamco's decision to focus on these two platforms at launch, and bring others at a later date.
the games is doing EXTREMELY well on switch (#3 on the eshop now, and that's in the busy holiday season) so i think they have to be happy with how it's doing. i don't think it'll do as well on ps4/xbo but it still should be a low cost port that can break even fast and become profitable.
Really hope so. This game looks so cool

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I love Katamari and hearing all the good vibes in this thread makes me glad it got rereleased. i can't buy it currently but I will 100% get it later :D

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys does this have that co op mode where you and someone else both have control over the one ball

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
i forgot how much i loved this game. i don't think i gave it proper credit in 2004 either (it was #9 on my top ten list). the soundtrack alone is so wonderful and amazing, and the sense of escalation works so well. then there's the presentation of the story, which is lovable in its own way.

there are parts that become clear it's a ps2 game in 2018, but the game as a whole holds up so well that it's a timeless classic.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys does this have that co op mode where you and someone else both have control over the one ball
it's not really co op, but it has motion controls with two joycons, so two people can play each with one joycon. like this:

i forgot how much i loved this game. i don't think i gave it proper credit in 2004 either (it was #9 on my top ten list). the soundtrack alone is so wonderful and amazing, and the sense of escalation works so well. then there's the presentation of the story, which is lovable in its own way.

there are parts that become clear it's a ps2 game in 2018, but the game as a whole holds up so well that it's a timeless classic.
it does feel old at times, but it's one of those games where every single element (gameplay, story, dialog, music, cutscenes, the randomness) all help and elevate each other and create a very amazing cohesive package.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game is already hard to find. AFAIK it's not getting a reprint and copies are already double the asking price online.

Not sure if people mentioned it already but this launched at $20 back in the day.

vix

Nov 18, 2017
If it comes out on the xbox or ps4, it'll do fine. There are plenty of fans there that don't have a switch that want to be able to play it. I'd buy it, that's for sure.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
Has there been any talk about a potential port of the sequel? I've fallen completely in love with this game and I've been reading about the sequel being really good as well, so I'd love for that game to be re-released as well.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't get that on Switch. It's good if you're getting an easy platinum or if you're getting a huge discount but I don't think it's good enough for the price it is on the eshop. The opening title screen of Katamari for example is better than all of Donut County.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has there been any talk about a potential port of the sequel? I've fallen completely in love with this game and I've been reading about the sequel being really good as well, so I'd love for that game to be re-released as well.
the sequel is much better, actually. i hope it comes as well, and i think it will because this one is doing REALLY well on the eshop. maybe they'll port it next year for a late 2019 release?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, this never released in PAL regions originally. That explains why I only remember seeing We <3 Katamari in shops back then lol.

I just thought I didn't look hard enough.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the game's physical release charted in the japan charts. not a terrible result for a port.

17./00. [NSW] Katamari Damacy Reroll <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2018.12.20} (¥3.200) - 11.665 / NEW

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played Katamari back in the day here and there, but I never owned it and I definitely never played it with headphones.

This... may be a perfect game.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
A friend got me this for Switch for Christmas. Was so surprised. I think he remembered how much I loved it back in the day. (we've been friends for a long time)

Super excited to play this again.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Back in the day I never played the original Katamari Damacy, just the sequel (which I absolutely adored). Very cool to get this remaster and see how it all began.

As a first-time player, I would say my biggest takeaway is that Lonely Rolling Star is a really, really good song.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
As a first-time player, I would say my biggest takeaway is that Lonely Rolling Star is a really, really good song.

Loved the song from way back, and I only figured out what the song means a few weeks ago.

It's heartbreaking.

It's about someone who's lover has big dreams and has to constantly "roll around," so the singer let's her lover do so and promises to wait for him/her, the singer's "lonely rolling star."