• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JonathanEx

Oct 25, 2017
First time I've played this game properly, loving it.

The demo was a bit of a misfire - as it had no tutorial. If they threw the one from the game in there that'd be great. But I googled them, and my GF played it, then kept replaying it a few times and pretty much bought it immediately. And a great price for it too.

Great fun to play it so far, so much fun and character to it. Particularly the logic of what's twins in the gemini one, unnecessary fun touches.

zigg

Oct 30, 2017
Dangit. I missed the physical release, didn't I? Me and my eminently reasonable M.O. of "oh, I shouldn't buy another game right this minute, I still have some others to play." 🤷‍♀️

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
There is little I wouldn't do for a remake of We ❤️ Katamari.

Remaking that game would probably be more involved so I hope sales justify it.

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
Enjoying this game quite a bit! Love the atmosphere/humour/style. Still having trouble with the controls at akward moments but getting better all the time :)

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Got the credits. Good times.

Hope to be much more thorough with the collecting extra stuff this time around. It being on Switch should make it easier to pick up every now and then.

Unfortunately I had a lot of levels in my head that I must have remembered from the second game, like the race track level. Really would be nice to see it here next to this game.

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017
Having a good time, but all it's really doing is making me want a We Love Katamari remaster!

Also Ursa Major can FUCK right off 🔥

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Made the moon tonight. Now onto making the constellations and 100%ing everything cause it's just so joyful.

Is there a music player somewhere in the game? It really needs one.

Acetown

Oct 28, 2017
I recently tried out the demo and I find it surprisingly hard to control even though I've played the original a fair bit. It feels like the logic behind the control system kind of breaks since the thumbsticks on the Switch controller are positioned asymmetrically. Am I the only one who feels this way?

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I recently tried out the demo and I find it surprisingly hard to control even though I've played the original a fair bit. It feels like the logic behind the control system kind of breaks since the thumbsticks on the Switch controller are positioned asymmetrically. Am I the only one who feels this way?
it does initially feel weird if you're used to the dual shock sticks, but it starts becoming normal pretty soon after starting the game.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
If you have a PC, you can use a DS4 on there. It's the way to go imo

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017

No you're not.
But believe me it goes away after half an hour with the game, or at least it did for me. I was dead set on playing it with my Magic NS adapter and Dualshock 4 but in the end I haven't felt the need at all to do so after giving it a bit of time to see if I could get accustomed to the Switch's asymmetrical analogs. Honestly I might even prefer it now for changing directions because it feels like you actually have one palm on the front and another on the side of the Katamari.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
ehh haven't played Reroll yet but I got used to playing Beautiful Katamari on the 360 controller pretty quickly

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
loved this game. i was surprised how quickly i got to credits, especially for the price point, however i'll have fun coming back to this.

game is great to just vibe out to

Troll_Brah

Oct 25, 2017
Could someone explain the coop? Is it a separate mode from the campaign? Do you control one ball or two balls? Was thinking of getting this to play with my wife but wanted to make sure the coop was a full feature. Thanks!

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Fuckin hell I hate how ancient the save system is and how it goes against everything the Switch represents.
I've lost 5 stars worth of (good scores) progress twice now, simply because I fell asleep and didn't manually save. Then the next evening I forget and load another game wiping all the progress I had made since the last save. Ugh. Not the end of the world but goddamn they could've update it a bit, considering the pick up and play nature of Nintendo's console

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Could someone explain the coop? Is it a separate mode from the campaign? Do you control one ball or two balls? Was thinking of getting this to play with my wife but wanted to make sure the coop was a full feature. Thanks!
i haven't bothered with any of the multi in the game, but as far as i know there's no actual co-op mode. there's a competitive multi mode where two players play in split screen to see who can make the biggest katamari, each using a joycon.

Fuckin hell I hate how ancient the save system is and how it goes against everything the Switch represents.
I've lost 5 stars worth of (good scores) progress twice now, simply because I fell asleep and didn't manually save. Then the next evening I forget and load another game wiping all the progress I had made since the last save. Ugh. Not the end of the world but goddamn they could've update it a bit, considering the pick up and play nature of Nintendo's console
yeah, that's one of the things they should have changed about the game to make it more modern, without really messing with the game itself. sometimes ports shouldn't be this faithful to the original.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
loved this game. i was surprised how quickly i got to credits, especially for the price point, however i'll have fun coming back to this.

game is great to just vibe out to
That's one great thing about all the katamari games, they're fun to pop back into any time to replay some levels, and it not like you forget where you are in the story or what you're supposed to do.

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017
Ok so I picked up Touch My Katamari yesterday, and discovered that it has a MUCH better "simple" control scheme. Tilting the right stick left and right actually turns you left and right, unlike the up/down nonsense that ReRoll's Simple scheme has.

So weird that they didn't do it this way in ReRoll. It feels a lot better (to me, anyway)

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm playing much better on my Xbox One controller than I did on my DualShock 2 back when these games came out.

I've played them all... and I know this is an unpopular opinion, but the first two games(which Keita Takahashi worked on) were the only really good ones. Everything after sort of felt like an imitation/'best of' game. And we all know how Namco loves milking a hit new IP..

Last edited:

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
I've played them all... and I know this is an unpopular opinion, but the first two games(which Keita Takahashi worked on) were the only really good ones. Everything after sort of felt like an imitation/'best of' game. And we all know how Namco loves milking a hit new IP..

I'm not sure how unpopular of an opinion that is. In fact, I think that's the opinion held by most fans of the game. I know it's how I feel.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
q7693Eb.gif

Deleted member 19742

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure how unpopular of an opinion that is. In fact, I think that's the opinion held by most fans of the game. I know it's how I feel.

I'll be a bit different. I think We <3 Katamari is the best game, but I also really enjoy Katamari Forever, even more than the original Katamari Damacy.

I do love the original game, but it really feels like your items get knocked off MUCH more easily in that game than any of the other ones. I still get super great scores and times in the Make A Star levels (the Constellation ones are a bit trickier), but it feels like my Katamari is constantly losing items because I bump into stuff frequently. It's kind of frustrating to see items constantly falling off. And not being able to play as the other cousins in single player is a bit of a downer, even if the difference is only cosmetic.

Although Katamari Forever is pretty much a "Best Of" game (and, admittedly, I never played Beautiful Katamari, so a third of Katamari Forever is new to me), I do like how most of the levels have a Drive and Eternal mode (and Classic, if you want to skip Broken Hearts and lose the Prince Jump). and there are certainly a lot of levels drawn from the previous Katamari games that are almost all* fun to play. Definitely don't have Katamari Forever as your first Katamari game, though: the time limits can be pretty strict if you haven't had much experience with the series.

*The Campfire, Hot Stuff, and Cowbear levels are naturally frustrating, but a special shout-out to the Animals level, especially on Classic mode. It is really fucking hard to get all the animals.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Video Chums (7.9/10)
Katamari Damacy Reroll is basically the same game that came out in 2004 but it looks a lot better and can be played portably. So, if you've never played it before and you want to experience something truly off-the-wall then it's a must-buy game.

I've played them all... and I know this is an unpopular opinion, but the first two games(which Keita Takahashi worked on) were the only really good ones
um... duh. the other ones are just trying to imitate his style and failing. the gameplay may be good, but everything else is inferior to takahashi's games.
which is why i really hope they also reroll the second game (hopefully this year), after that i couldn't care less if they remaster the other games or not.

Last edited:

Euman

Oct 25, 2017
I grabbed a physical copy for my brother earlier in December for Christmas and just went go get one for myself but can't find a US copy anywhere for a decent price. Grabbed a JP one of amazon jp instead, seems appropriate.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I'm playing much better on my Xbox One controller than I did on my DualShock 2 back when these games came out.

PS3 one is fine and an easy recommendation if ppl don't have access to a PS2

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I grabbed a physical copy for my brother earlier in December for Christmas and just went go get one for myself but can't find a US copy anywhere for a decent price. Grabbed a JP one of amazon jp instead, seems appropriate.

That might be my only option, as GameStop is all sold out online and no stores have it in my area. :(

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I finished it. That was wonderful.

My only complaint is that the cracks start to show when you get too big. For example the Moon level starts off at such a high with the theme song blaring in when you know you're about to start some shit, but then on my very first try I got basically everything with three minutes to spare. It ended up just being me rolling slowly around an empty world to find like the handful of clouds I hadn't rolled up yet.

Jun 22, 2019
Anybody wanna give me tips on the gyro controls? I'm only just now trying them out for the first time.

My Katamari seems to spazz out often when I'm trying to turn, and I have the hardest time moving around the circumference of my Katamari without ZL or ZR.

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody wanna give me tips on the gyro controls? I'm only just now trying them out for the first time.

My Katamari seems to spazz out often when I'm trying to turn, and I have the hardest time moving around the circumference of my Katamari without ZL or ZR.

My suggestion is don't use gyro, honestly. I never did. It controls just fine without them.

Jun 22, 2019
My suggestion is don't use gyro, honestly. I never did. It controls just fine without them.

I'm using them cause they're fun (I just suck at the moment and tips would be nice. Found out mashing ZL and ZR allows for even faster dashes without the need for waggle which is kinda neat).

Game already disables them in handheld, I'll get plenty of the classic Katamari experience from my childhood regardless.

Edit: After further practice consistently and continuously moving directly sideways with motion controls seems like it's just not gonna happen. Especially a problem if I wanna go side to side. Unless something is not clicking with me in regards to joycons orientation, I might have to ditch the gyro stuff, which is a damn shame. Sigh.

Last edited:

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Just got this on Switch.
Does anyone else feel what seems like large input delay?
I don't remember it feeling like this on PS2.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah I bought it the year it came out and it immediately felt off to me. And I replay the PS2 games once a year so it's not just my memory playing tricks on me.

Yeah, I thought so, thanks.
Any idea if the steam version suffers from the same thing? I'm almost tempted to just buy the ps2 games again instead. The amount of lag really is too much. I can only imagine what it must be like for certain casual players, who already struggled with the katamari controls concept.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I thought so, thanks.
Any idea if the steam version suffers from the same thing? I'm almost tempted to just buy the ps2 games again instead. The amount of lag really is too much. I can only imagine what it must be like for certain casual players, who already struggled with the katamari controls concept.
I have no clue