• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the demo for the switch version of katamari damacy reroll was released yesterday on the japanese eshop (the demo is coming to other eshops on december 7th), and pictures of ps4 and xbo controllers were datamined from the demo, pointing to a possible release on those platforms at a later date. it would be good to release the game on everything, more people need to play this amazing game and more sales would mean a higher chance of getting a remaster of the [better] sequel as well.

OR

it's possible that this is just about using those controllers in the already announced steam version.

what do you guys think?

thanks to darkside for posting the tweet in the other thread .

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I would assume they're coming. Makes absolutely no sense that this would permanently skip the only two platfotms that actually have a history with this franchise in favour of two that don't, PlayStstion especially.

preta

Oct 25, 2017
so far only the pc and switch versions have officially been announced, coming on december 7th. if the ps4/xbo versions exist they'll come later.

don't get your hopes up, it's a super short demo. but it's good enough if you want to see how the game runs on switch.
How well does it run? I can't download it right now.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How well does it run? I can't download it right now.
i thought it ran very well, looked native res and locked fps to me, but i'm not the most technical person when it comes to noticing those things.
it does look like just a up-res port tho, no AA or improved textures (which personally i like, it gives it a bit of a pixelated look, but someone else might not).

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Probably launching on Switch/PC first since those are the biggest retrogaming platforms. Switch owners might also be more likely to spend $29.99 on a PS2 port than PS4/Xbox owners. I bet it's $19.99 if/when it launches later on them.

I just hope it does well enough for us to get We Love Katamari Reroll too. And if I'm being greedy also Klonoa Reroll, Klonoa 2 Reroll and Mr. Driller DrillLand Reroll.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
Nowadays one console/PC exclusives don't make much sense to be honest. I expect them to arrive to PS4 and One. I don't care if they don't anyway, I will buy the Switch version.

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
I had no idea this was coming to PC as well, yay! Surely it's the optional controller layout, but that doesn't rule out a future PS4 / XB1 version.

vix

Nov 18, 2017
I'm hoping for a time exclusive. I really want to be able to support this so they realize people still want to play Katamari games.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
I'm hoping for a time exclusive. I really want to be able to support this so they realize people still want to play Katamari games.
Namco is releasing it the same day as Smash. It's going to get destroyed and Namco will be like, "See! Katamari is a dead franchise! Back to mobile clickers, you go!"

vix

Nov 18, 2017
Namco is releasing it the same day as Smash. It's going to get destroyed and Namco will be like, "See! Katamari is a dead franchise! Back to mobile clickers, you go!"
I know, it's like they aren't even trying. They can't be bothered.

More like the developer focus on the platforms first where the game has probably most success. For these kind of games the PS4/XOne are not the healthiest platforms.
The first two games were on the ps2 and the fourth game was on the 360. Third was PSP. They all did decently as there were two more console games after that. PS3 and Vita. If anything, that's where the original fans are, sony and xbox.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
The first two games were on the ps2 and the fourth game was on the 360. Third was PSP. They all did decently as there were two more console games after that. PS3 and Vita. If anything, that's where the original fans are, sony and xbox.
Even still fewer PS4 and XBO owners would likely pay $30 for a PS2 port than Switch and PC owners would. It makes sense to prioritize the most active bases for retrogames.

vix

Nov 18, 2017
Even still fewer PS4 and XBO owners would likely pay $30 for a PS2 port than Switch and PC owners would. It makes sense to prioritize the most active bases for retrogames.
You'd be surprised. There's a decent amount of people commenting on twitter and various katamari forums that they would buy it if it was on PS4/Xbox. I know I would. But I get what your saying.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
You'd be surprised. There's a decent amount of people commenting on twitter and various katamari forums that they would buy it if it was on PS4/Xbox. I know I would. But I get what your saying.
I mean, there's also something to be said for wanting what you can't have. This might even help drive sales if Reroll is ported to PS4/Xbox later. That strategy worked pretty well on Switch in reverse for them (DBFZ, Xenoverse 2, etc).

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, there's also something to be said for wanting what you can't have. This might even help drive sales if Reroll is ported to PS4/Xbox later. That strategy worked pretty well on Switch in reverse for them (DBFZ, Xenoverse 2, etc).
yeah, i think this is not a bad strategy, this way they'll get to basically launch the game twice.
i don't think the difference would be as huge as something like bomberman (that sold almost 1 million on switch and basically nothing on the other three platforms it launched on a year later) but i expect the ps4/xbo versions, if they actually exist, to sell way less than the switch and steam versions.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo paid for timed Katamari exclusive? I thought it was simply skipping PS4/Xbox.
This makes little sense.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

But not many fans ... and people who like such games are probably keen to buy a Switch anyway. And the PS audience today is much different from the PS audience in PS2 days. There are probably people out there who buy such games on a PS4 or XONE, but the majority of sales will be most probably on Switch.

That's weird because if they were actually focusing on only the Switch then why do they already have assets for the PS4/XBO

Focusing on a platform does not mean you not do some work for portability.

Anyway such standard assets could just be in some standard graphics sets they included for convenience. Many retail games include assets that will be never used or are forgotten in the production process.

So I would not even conclude that those graphic assets mean there is a port planned, I would conclude a port to PS4/XOne more from the fact, that it will be very easy to port.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
While I am willing to bet it'll come to other platforms eventually, I want to guess that the Steam version will use these with Steam Input to detect your controller. Are there Steam Controller graphics?

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
you've played the good ones, the rest aren't worth bothering with :)

Good to hear

I think I bought the PSP one, but I bought a lot of games when I got that because I was LTTP and went a bit nuts. I didn't get playing a lot of them, because I came to realize handhelds didn't have all that much appeal to me anymore.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Would absolutely buy in an instant for PS4.

How the fuck has an actual well done Katamari game never come to mobile? It would fit absolutely perfectly there, especially with modern mobile GPUs