• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jachaos

Oct 25, 2017
Just bought it, eager to play! I tried it a couple of years ago at a convention and it felt super good even then

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I could use some help related to a certain late-game collectible.

The Savant key in the Slaughterhouse. I cannot get it. I know where it is, but every time I make it to the area, the room gets destroyed by the sniper. What am I supposed to do here?

Hoagmaster

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Finished it a while ago. Short but sweet; great visuals and music, an engaging story, and the gameplay felt tough but like I was always learning something.

Like a lot of you, I do have hangups with the abrupt end of the story. Shoot, it doesn't even end. Stuff just stops happening. It left me feeling, "...Okay then."

That bit aside, I had a lot of fun and would definitely recommend it.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Completely missed that this got refused classification in Australia, was so confused as to why I couldn't find it on the eshop.

Azure J

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played a 2D action game with this level of slick since the Megaman Zero series. God damn what a wild ride.

- Absolutely immense soundtrack (when the standard boss theme music kicks in, I just lost my shit)
- Really love the mixture of tactics available
- Story is surprisingly interesting
- Boss battles that I've played thus far are just *chef kiss*

I just want more stuff, especially more boss battles. Immediately trying to get more keys and hopefully unlock more stuff I might have missed. It's really become my late night fixation game now. lol

AkimbOb-omb

Oct 30, 2017
The game is awesom so far, I think I'm almost done with the story (praise my Switch + night shift), so final judgement's still pending.
This is a shoutout to the glorious soundtrack though. I especially love the modular synthesizer parts! ludoWic is on my radar now.

Handicapped Duck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
I just beat the game two hours ago, great game, soundtrack was excellent and got better once I fought my first boss. Levels started to open up more and make use of all the mechanics. Difficulty spike was real towards the final three chapters, my god that slaughterhouse boss fight was bull crap. Story was good that ended on a cliffhanger which is fine, but they are clearly setting it up for a multi-part sequel which is kind of annoying because they hid a lot more details than I felt necessary.
Now I do have a question for the secret ending, do I have to replay the entire game again in order to get the dialogue needed or is there a faster way? Not sure how I feel wanting to replay the game from the beginning just to hunt the last two middle door keys and another ending.

Cyn

Oct 31, 2017
I finished this up over the long weekend on my Switch.

Fun little game, some really nice art and game design choices as well as an awesome synthwave soundtrack. Kinda bummed at the ending occurring so abruptly and without much fanfare, but it left me wanting one more perhaps in DLC or expansion, or even a direct sequel.

Well worth the price of admission

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Finished it just now and I'm a bit disappointed. The gameplay never really evolves or progresses, new enemies or obtacles are not introduced regularly, the story gets in the way on replays and is ending abruptly. By choosing the wrong option you can even get to the credits and miss several levels.
The base gameplay is very good, as is the soundtrack and general atmosphere, but it's too short and missing variety and complexity to reach cult status.
I'd give it a 7/10.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Finished it yesterday including getting the extra stuff. Like many of you I really am dissapointed by the abrupt ending and a tease of what should have been the final level. Kind of makes me wonder if this game should have come out a few months later so that we could have got a better ending.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished it

The ending seems more complete than people have been saying. The "twist" at the end just leaves a sour taste in your mouth because now you have more questions. I see what they were trying to do, but it just left me confused at the end. If they ever make a second game, they have a shit ton of loose ends to tie up. Good luck with that.

Great game though fwiw. I feel depressed though lol. This game is kinda dark.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Yeah finished the game as well, but the ending came at the story's peak in my opinion. Right when things begin to ramp up and start to make sense, they throw a whole bunch of questions in our face and allude to a sequel.

Overall the game was fantastic, there were some sections that got in my nerves (specially the last mission) but overall it was a very solid game. From a story perspective it left me wanting more which you could say is a good thing? But that ending didn't feel satisfying at all. I'll be looking forward to the sequel though.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished it

The ending seems more complete than people have been saying. The "twist" at the end just leaves a sour taste in your mouth because now you have more questions. I see what they were trying to do, but it just left me confused at the end. If they ever make a second game, they have a shit ton of loose ends to tie up. Good luck with that.

Great game though fwiw. I feel depressed though lol. This game is kinda dark.
Yeah it really is dark, but I liked that. I wasn't really pissed off at the ending. It was more like "wtf aw man!" type of thing lol.

Really hope there's a sequel though.

Azure J

Oct 25, 2017
Gameplay Spoilers(?)

Sword of Masters (heh) is easily the best sword. Prove me wrong.

Maso

Sep 6, 2018
Finished it yesterday including getting the extra stuff. Like many of you I really am dissapointed by the abrupt ending and a tease of what should have been the final level. Kind of makes me wonder if this game should have come out a few months later so that we could have got a better ending.
Sounds spot on since there is DLC coming "in a few months" that, iirc, will expand on the story more.
There's also the elevator in the Government Lab where Zero says "I should check back in a few months". I think there will at least be some more story stuff where we play as Fifteen.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I played through this in one sitting during my thanos ban. IT WAS PHENOMENAL. I'll gladly give it the backhanded compliment that it is my favourite half game of 2019. Cuz holy shit that was an abrupt ending. But god damn. The soundtrack. The action. The visuals. And the fucking narrative. I got off the train of that ending feeling like I just watched a Lost season finale. I have SO MANY QUESTIONS. I'm glad to hear they're working on DLC cuz I am hungry for more.
It felt like things ended just as they were ramping up. I mean hell, our final boss doesn't even get the dignity of having a name. They're just a fucking henchman in the grand scheme. Anticlimactic!

But yeah. So many questions. I'm gonna be thinking about this game for a while.
What exactly are the little girl? Was she ever a person at all? Comedy and Tragedy? What was the computer you destroyed in the past? Was it even significant? How did New Mecca lose the war with the use of the NULLs? Why does neither Fifteen nor the other NULL seem to recognize you? What the hell is Juncture? Where the hell do Kissyface, V, and Snow seem to get their own tough-as-nails superpower toolkits from? Why does Snow seem to harbour any sort of sadness over V's death? She carries his medallion in a clenched hand at the end of the game, but their onscreen relationship didn't exactly seem to be a fond one. She seemed to find him to be almost as despicable as we did. Speaking of V and his filth, what was with the remark we made to him in the Limo? "You're fucking subhuman." And then the handler says the same thing to us at the end of the game. Was this just literary parallelism, or was there something more going on here? What exactly did teh secret boss's drug do? Did it actually affect him physically, or was it all in Zero's head? A lot of this is super small level shit but still I am left wondering. I hope that they're able to capitalize on some of the mystery they've created here.

The parallels to Hotline Miami are undeniable. Not just the neon grunge pixel art, the one hit kills adrenaline fueled gameplay, and the pounding synth soundtrack, but a narrative that leaves you with more questions than answers and a world that feels on the brink of an apocalypse, bearing deep wounds from a war extremely evocative of the Vietnam conflict. The ending wasn't parallel to Hotline Miami 2's ending, but I feel like such an ending wouldn't be out of place for this world in the future.

Gameplay Spoilers(?)

Sword of Masters (heh) is easily the best sword. Prove me wrong.
I liked the Claymore. It feels a bit like cheating, though.

Oct 26, 2017
The soundtrack is not only the first game soundtrack I've ever bought, but the first album I've bought in years. It's so far removed from the kind of thing I normally listen to and I absolutely adore it.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was a hell of a game. Shame its going under the radar. Had it been a little more complete... I wouldn't hesitate to call it GOTY thus far.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think there is free DLC coming, so who knows? I havn't quite beat it yet so I don't know what everyone is talking about.
Yup there is! The dev studio tweeted about how successful the game has been so far and it's getting free DLC.

Also you'll know what we all mean when you get to the end.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Judging the impressions from this thread sounds like I'll pick this up in a few more months and wait until the game is more "finished" with it's story instead of diving in now.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it. What an incredible game. Whew.
Judging the impressions from this thread sounds like I'll pick this up in a few more months and wait until the game is more "finished" with it's story instead of diving in now.
I really don't think the ending is as bad as people think it is. Definitely leaves things a little open for DLC, which is hinted at -very obviously- when you finish the game.

Rehynn

Banned
Feb 14, 2018
Alright, I think I've 100%-ed the game. The unlockables are cool, but the secrets you need to figure them out are even better--exactly the kind of weird, gameplay-driven stuff I wish more devs would include.
I also recommend doing a no bullet time run, it's definitely doable and a really fun challenge.

Mar 29, 2018
Got 30 minutes in the other day and I don't really see the hype yet

The narrative design stuff is very clever

Interested to keep going but not really compelled. Will see how it develops

BourbonJungle

Nov 1, 2017
Finished the game, absolutely loved it and am eager for more.

I've read through this thread to see what I missed, and am still unsure about a few things:

Who is the secret boss? Unsure if I got this on my first playthrough or not. Also curious about accessing the keys and unlockable swords. Have the government lab, or whatever, but no keys to access any of the doors.

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
Just finished this yesterday. I agree with the sentiment that the game ends too abruptly. I felt like things were finally getting started, and then it just ends.

Finished the game, absolutely loved it and am eager for more.

I've read through this thread to see what I missed, and am still unsure about a few things:

Who is the secret boss? Unsure if I got this on my first playthrough or not. Also curious about accessing the keys and unlockable swords. Have the government lab, or whatever, but no keys to access any of the doors.
The secret boss is the psychiatrist. If you didn't get him, you might want to look at a guide, but I think the basic idea is to interrupt all the dialogue with him and other characters and don't follow any directions at all. You pretty much want him to get pissed off.
As for the keys, I'd recommend the same, look up some guides, unless you want to try multiple run-throughs. Most of them are unlocked under specific conditions, some of them more spelled out for you than others. I think only one of them can be found without fulfilling specific conditions.

I don't suppose there are any updates on this games Australian release yet?

I think someone mentioned earlier in one of these threads that the game was banned in Australia, no?

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
I'm liking the game, but not loving it.

Really like the changing up up gameplay elements, but the story aspects just do nothing for me.

Orso

Oct 28, 2017
Really enjoying this but i'm worried i'm getting through it too quickly.

Once the day countdown reaches zero is that basically the last part of the game?

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
The most embarrassing thing for me was not realising that you can hit enemies bullets back at them whilst you've slowed down time, until 20 minutes towards the end.

Sigh.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
The most embarrassing thing for me was not realising that you can hit enemies bullets back at them whilst you've slowed down time, until 20 minutes towards the end.

Sigh.

You don't need to slow down time to send the bullets back btw, you can do it in normal speed too though the timing is obviously much harder.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This game feels unfinished, and honestly didn't do quite enough with its mechanics. I'm ambivalent about it. The sprite work and animation is fantastic though.

Oct 25, 2017
i actually found the gameplay to be pretty weak as it never really evolves throughout the entire playthrough. which is a shame, because there was definitely room for creativity there, as displayed by the phenomenal boss battles.

the story was captivating and that was the main motivator for me to finish it. feel a bit cheated that they just ended it like that though