• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Solo was not only boring, but also a very ugly movie. I hated how this film looked. Rogue One is the superior stand alone movie.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
They could of released a Star Wars each year if they put out stuff people wanted to see. Rogue One made over a billion dollars WW. People are willing to accept yearly Star Wars movies if they are good. Hell look at the MCU, people love those movies.

Oct 28, 2017
I blame The Last Jedi and the release date. Star Wars are now Christmas movies. If Solo came out 4 months ago, which was a year after TLJ it wouldn't have done as bad.

Or

Of if The Last Jedi wasnt trash for half of the fan base it would have also did better.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how this mistake was made. Every single person in online forums and social media looked at those release dates 10+ months out and said Solo was releasing too soon. Most people questioned why it wasn't releasing in December like previous Start Wars films. It's just amazing to me that so many every day people knew this yet the millionaires tasked with making the actual decisions couldn't figure it out.

Jan 3, 2018
If Disney thinks scheduling was the problem, why are they releasing the Lion King remake 3 months after the Aladdin remake?

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
If Disney thinks scheduling was the problem, why are they releasing the Lion King remake 3 months after the Aladdin remake?
How is this the same. Aladdin and Lion King are the same series now?

Honestly I thought this movie was dull. Least entertaining of all the new star wars imo, not the worst one, but the least entertaining.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif

Because they are not the same thing.

The amount of people trying to pin the blame on TLJ is pretty hilarious. Solo's box office numbers had nothing to do with TLJ. and all to do with production troubles, poor marketing and coming out way too soon after Episode 8.

Star Wars is an event series and it's box office numbers historically prove that. Episode's 1,4 and 7 were massive, Episodes 2, 5 and 8 did well but not as well as the ones before it. And Episode 3 and 6 did better than the last entry.

The Clone Wars theatrical release also bombed but people forget to mention that aswell.

Last edited:

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
TLJ left a bad taste for me, and everything I read about Solo made me think it was going to be a train wreck. I don't think the timing mattered personally.

Solo ended up being fine but I doubt I ever watch it again.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I actually liked Solo better than TLJ in a lot of ways, but neither are movies I'd care to rewatch. Still a miracle they made something decent out of the wreckage of Solo's production.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kathleen is correct, SW has been around for over 40 years, these movies have been carefully released over long periods, that's what feels comfortable to the audience, good to know she's gauged that.

MCU formula will never work as the story does not have the burden of 40 years worth of deeply entrenched ideas, from a cinematic perspective. SW movies tell new stories but also fundamentally change the mythos of the force, and that needs to be approached sympathetically. Cant just click the universe out of existence.

Solo was bad?

I thought most people liked it. It just didn't make its money back. I preferred it way more than TLJ, which I didn't hate.

I really loved Donald Glover in it as well. It was rather refreshing.

It was a disastrous.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, OK.

The problem is not the 5 months alone.

It is the TLJ was divisive and that Solo wasn't that great. People were burned.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Kathleen is correct, SW has been around for over 40 years, these movies have been carefully released over long periods, that's what feels comfortable to the audience, good to know she's gauged that.

MCU formula will never work as the story does not have the burden of 40 years worth of deeply entrenched ideas, from a cinematic perspective.

It was a disastrous.
In terms of quality, it reminded me of a regular MCU release. I really don't get what people were expecting--Empire Strikes Back?

elektrocats

Banned
Jun 18, 2018
The biggest mistake was leaving this entire franchise in the hands of Disney and executive suits. Combined with the Abrams interviews, this is just proof that this entire thing was a colossal mess with no coherent direction and making huge $$$ being the main goal.

It seems they literally just "Yeah sure'd" everything that came their way.

Solo movie? "Yeah sure, fuck it whatever, go for it"
Movie about Death Star? "Yeah, go ahead, make that shit, sounds dope"
Different directors for each movie? "Fuck yeah bro, didn't they do that with Harry Potter? That worked out right? Get it going"

At least Harry Potter had an overall arc that it was following.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2018
But again, the fact that they are not the same series makes it a bad comparison.

They are both "live action" remakes of 90s animated films.

I feel like a lot of people will choose to see one or the other because they are scheduled so close together, whereas if they were one year apart more people would be more likely to see both.

Also they're actually just 2 months apart.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, OK.

The problem is not the 5 months alone.

It is the TLJ was divisive and that Solo wasn't that great. People were burned.

Yeah the 4 months of marketing compared to 8 the previous 3 films got, production troubles, no Harrison Ford, or the fact no one was sold on this movie when it was announced before TFA came out had no influence on it whatsoever. It was all The Last Jedi and it not being "that great."

Lmo2017

Oct 25, 2017
To the east of Parts Unknown...
Solo had public production problems that tainted the well and came right after TLJ which was great but divisive. Also Disney trying to juggle it's marketing for all their releases is not helping them at all. All their movies are stepping on each other's feet and lesser movies, even a Star Wars one, need to be budgeted properly to survive in that deluge.

Putting Solo in December would have helped simply because people have come to expect Star Wars in December. It would have had time to breathe after all the crazy and it would have given them time to build up some kind of hype. It probably would have still not been the success they wanted, but it would have done better.

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
A 1-2 punch of a movie that a lot of fans did not like, then a movie fans did not want... yeah, easing off the gas is probably a good idea. (And maybe get a different driver ;-)

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see she got the message

Star Wars is not MCU

Star Wars is an event film series which is about the force and Jedi first. Lightsabers also.

Literally everything else is window dressing.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People in this thread acting like quality is the be all and end all when it's comes to a movie's box office. There are many films that are way worse than solo and have made crazy money. I agree with the poster above, solo was a mid tier MCU movie.

A shitty release date, coming off the back of a divisive movie hurt it a lot. Also, another thing to consider is, Star Wars is somewhat struggling overseas in non english countries. China, couldn't give a shit about it, which is a problem for the franchise moving forward. Heck, at this stage they should just pretend EP 9 is an MCU release over there.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
The amount of people trying to pin the blame on TLJ is pretty hilarious. Solo's box office numbers had nothing to do with TLJ.

I don't know if in the big numbers it influenced it or not much. But I can tell you is that our SW group of friends were awaiting TLJ with huge excitement... and none of us wanted to go see Solo after the meltdown that movie caused on our group. So I think some influence it had, as I don't think we are the only people with that feelings.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It still blows my mind that Kasdan used this piece of shit script as a bargaining chip. What the fuck did he see in this shit.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm go ahead and assume KK knows the fuckup was beyond just the release dates.

Poor Emilia Clarke. Seems like everything she stars in is either forgettable, or eventually erased from time. (outside of GoT of course)

Well it's not like she's some great actress not getting their due. She got lucky with GoT and should count her blessings tbh.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The best thing about Solo was the Marauders' theme by John Powell, of How to Train Your Dragon fame. The rest of the score was solid but Powell really knocked that piece out of the park.

Xscpkd7.gif

Shame we'll probably never see any more of Enfys Nest outside of books and comics, I really dug her character.

Last edited:

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, history has proved that people aren't that interested in seeing shit that came before. Unless it's done really well, prequels are very risky.

The same goes for Rogue One. I wish Lucasfilm would have more balls to create smaller films that don't deal with the fucking Jedi or rebels. Like, do a small thriller about some Sith artifact turning people insane in a small mining village, or a gritty crime drama set on Nar Shaddaa.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, history has proved that people aren't that interested in seeing shit that came before. Unless it's done really well, prequels are very risky.

The same goes for Rogue One. I wish Lucasfilm would have more balls to create smaller films that don't deal with the fucking Jedi or rebels. Like, do a small thriller about some Sith artifact turning people insane in a small mining village, or a gritty crime drama set on Nar Shaddaa.

Would audiences show up to see those though?

Yeah, but not crazy Skywalker Saga numbers. Could work with a smaller budget for a more niche audience.
I think that will be the big takeaway going forward if they do choose to pursue more spinoff films, in that they shouldn't be anywhere near the budget for the episodes. That Solo wound up being the most expensive Star Wars film of all was exceedingly bad management, but I'd argue it didn't have any business being budgeted at what it was originally in the first place.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems like Disney decided to listen to fans after the backlash TLJ had and Solo bombing which is great. This sequel trilogy is too late to be good but it can be salvaged. So far everything Lucasfilm has shown recently is sort of like "sorry we fucked up". I honestly didn't think I'd ever care about SWs again but if Disney can finally "get it" then I may be swayed again.

Hesemonni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Timing might've played a part in its failure, but it's probably the least of the reasons the film bonbed hard.

Wrighteous86

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
They are both "live action" remakes of 90s animated films.

I feel like a lot of people will choose to see one or the other because they are scheduled so close together, whereas if they were one year apart more people would be more likely to see both.

Also they're actually just 2 months apart.
This is such a weird view.

It's comparable to saying people don't want to watch two different movies starring Tom Cruise in a short span of time. Or two different movies with an Asian lead. Or two movies based on completely different anime properties. Or a Marvel film and a DC/Fox superhero film.

It's not the same as two Star Wars films or two meteor-based disaster films. The stories, tones, and universes of Aladdin and Lion King are vastly different.