• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I'm sure that in spite of the failure of the film at the box office, they would still like to keep working with Lawrence Kasdan.
QuTfRrN.gif

Because Ewan McGregor kills it as Obi Wan?

My dream is an Obi Wan movie inspired by Sanjuro, like how ANH was inspired by Hidden Fortress.

McGregor is like single ray of light in the prequels some fans hang on to.

He was as shit as Obi-Wan as everyone else was in their respective roles.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
The movie is fine, but it's pretty much what people expected it: A Han Solo movie without Harrison Ford and basically explaining every reference made in the OT about Solo's past and the Falcon. Which is why people weren't really looking forward to it.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't like Rogue One at all but at least it had an intriguing set up. Darker dirty dozen take on SWs with a tease of slasher villain Vader, sure I like that.

Solo shouldn't have been about Han Solo, there's no hook in learning about his past and you can't fill the shoes of Harrison Ford. It should have been a more general full blown crime thriller that had Han in it as a surprise like Maul. Heist movie niche kinda got taken already by Rogue One, yes I know it's mostly war movie.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
The concept was flawed and the movie was mediocre at best. TLJ being a sour experience didn't help either

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah no shit...don't release dozens of blockbusters a year. The average moviegoer isn't going to the theater every month.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I didn't like Rogue One at all but at least it had an intriguing set up. Darker dirty dozen take on SWs with a tease of slasher villain Vader, sure I like that.

Solo shouldn't have been about Han Solo, there's no hook in learning about his past and you can't fill the shoes of Harrison Ford. It should have been a more general full blown crime thriller that had Han in it as a surprise like Maul. Heist movie niche kinda got taken already by Rogue One, yes I know it's mostly war movie.
Rogue One took the "Star Wars stories" idea and actually told an interesting story in the SW universe that could only have been told as a side story.

Solo made up a bullshit story based on Han Solo's random lines and mixed it together into an incomprehensible mess that no one asked for.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Timing wasn't why Solo flopped. It was a crappy lead actor, bad script, and clean up director that couldn't fix the broken pieces.

Oct 27, 2017
The thing that makes an Obi-wan series or one off viable, other than McGregor being the right age and not being hated by fans for his prequel involvement, is that Vader is still around between 3 and 4. Although we assume they have had no interaction directly there is tonnes of scope to flesh Vader and Obi-wan out in this time period.

I mean JEJ isn't gonna live forever Disney...

They should probably pay for him to say every English word ten times and then make a speech algorithm or something.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Deadpool 2 was the only movie I was interested in that month. And Infinity War was out not too long before.

They released it in the worst possible time.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I mean JEJ isn't gonna live forever Disney...

They should probably pay for him to say every English word ten times and then make a speech algorithm or something.

It's already time for them to replace him with someone else who can do the voice. He sounded terrible in Rogue One. I would have believed it was someone doing a bad impression, if he hadn't been listed in the credits.

kinoki

Oct 28, 2017
Solo was an uninspired mess. It was totally pointless. And calling "the backlash" against TLJ by anything other than its real name, i.e. "man baby internet temper tantrum" is doing that movement a huge disservice. And I'm not equating not liking it to backlash, I'm talking specifically about "the backlash".

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The one movie a year thing was never going to be sustainable.

Star Wars is not Marvel. It's ultimately one franchise, not a bunch of franchises weaved together.

That said, Solo was honestly just bad. Easily the worst of the Disney SW films.

Solo was better than TFA and TLJ.
Ooh, this is fun

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
for a mediocre movie that no one asked for like Solo, yeah, it was a mistake. if the movie had been good it wouldn't have mattered.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
The people in this thread acting like it was purely because of the movie's quality smh. It was a mixture of underplayed marketing, well-known problems with production, the disappointment over TLJ and just saturation with Star Wars. You cannot really blame it on just one factor.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No the mistake was making a Han Solo Origins movie. We don't need to know how Han Solo met Lando. We don't need to know how he met Chewbacca. We don't need to know how he obtained the Millennium Falcon. We don't need to know how he became a Smuggler. And we certainly don't need to see someone other than Harrison Ford as the character

Oct 26, 2017
It was a big mistake. Happy that she owned up to it.

Solo was alright, but hardly anyone wanted a young Han Solo movie.
I honestly don't think the movie would have done much better if it was pushed back to December.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I saw it and thought it was okay. The first half of the film wasn't very good, but as soon as that annoying robot was out of the picture, things got better. I agree that TLJ soured a lot of people on going to see Solo. I know a few people who avoided it just because of that. Others just weren't interested in a Solo film.

It really should've been an Obi Wan film with a December release. That would have done really well I think

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
The mistake was making a senseless movie. That movie should have been shot down in the brainstorming phase.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah. People can rag on the concept all they want, and it was boring and all but the release date hurt it more than anything else. Just plain stupid.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Meanwhile Marvel can do 3 films a year and have them all be big successes.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish we could leave this timeline alone in the movies and get something far in the past without a "legacy character", just legacy alien species, about the Old Jedis.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Genuinely surprised at the hate for Solo. Thought it was the most fun and most "Star Wars" movie since A New Hope. Great stuff.

Also, for a movie "nobody wanted" somehow it made hundreds of millions of dollars. Disney bought up all those tickets?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The Marvel universe lends itself to more diverse genres, different casts of characters, etc. The Marvel universe is much bigger than the Star Wars universe.
I mean the star wars universe spans literally thousands of years, it's just all the current canon media is within a ~60 year time period

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a huge Star Wars fan but I never went to see Solo. I bought the UHD and have only watched about 45 minutes of it. I'm not sure why but I really didn't have much interest in it. Probably because I'm not a big fan of prequels in general. I already know where Han ends up. I don't need to read the beginning of the book after reading the ending.

I'll finish watching it at some point but my interest in the movie is just really low.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Problem wasn't releasing it too soon after TLJ, problem was TLJ being so polarizing and nobody asking for a Solo film. I actually enjoyed both movies for different reasons, but Solo just seemed totally unnecessary and there wasn't any excitement behind it. People were clamoring for an Obi-Wan movie the entire time, them ignoring that for Solo is something I still question since it seems like such and easy cash grab that would actually please most fans.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean the star wars universe spans literally thousands of years, it's just all the current canon media is within a ~60 year time period

Yeah, but those thousand years are all basically the same shit. Spaceships, robots, smugglers, bounty hunters, good guys with laser swords, bad guys with laser swords, space politics, etc, etc. And whenever we leave that bounding box, it gets...well...

fVBvGjN.jpg

...stupid.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the gap between it and TLJ was the issue - it was an OK film, nothing really special.

Rogue One was much better.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Solo was a great movie and a lot of fun. I was poo pooing on it before the release because even I didn't want a Han Solo origin movie, but I ended up enjoying it more than The Last Jedi. It's a bummer that the movie didn't do so well but at least Disney learned from their mistake and are course correcting. We don't need a Star Wars film every year and Solo could have easily been a great Disney+ exclusive.

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
Star Wars could easily bend genres if they wanted to.

Unless you think "sci-fi" is all one genre which would be a pretty silly thing to think!

First up, Star Wars is fantasy, not sci-fi. And yes, that's the overarching genre. There could be sub genres beneath that, but it could never be as wide as the MCU.

It would be like saying Guardians of the Galaxy by itself could support multiple films a year.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I actually liked Solo a lot more than TLJ, but because I was disappointed by TLJ and it releasing so close to it, I didn't actually see it in theater.

My main problem with Solo (as stated a million times) is that I just don't really care that much about a Solo origin story. Movie could have easily been about a completely new character and I'd have liked it just as much if not more. Also I hated how the movie looked; you can tell there's great sets, makeup, creature design, etc, but the way it was filled with a grey filter over everything just made it look bleh, no way I'd buy a bluray of it since higher quality bleh is still bleh.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
First up, Star Wars is fantasy, not sci-fi. And yes, that's the overarching genre. There could be sub genres beneath that, but it could never be as wide as the MCU.

It would be like saying Guardians of the Galaxy by itself could support multiple films a year.
It's a pointless distinction. It has space ships and robots. It's sci fi.

The differences between sci-fi and fantasy for the most part are aesthetic. Hard sci-fi is not the only sci-fi that exists.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I liked the movie.

That said, I don't see Han Solo from the OG trilogy and Han Solo from this movie as the same person. My mind have them disconnected, like a parallel universe or just a different person with the same name.