• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disney boss Bob Iger recently told Bloomberg: "We will take a pause, some time, and reset because the Skywalker saga comes to an end with this ninth movie.

"There will be other Stars Wars movies, but there will be a bit of a hiatus."

But why a hiatus? Was it just the box office disappointment in Solo, or maybe also the fan backlash to The Last Jedi?

Well, now Kennedy has revealed exactly why, speaking with Empire after the Episode IX panel at Star Wars Celebration on Friday.

James Dyer revealed on the Empire podcast: "Funnily enough I asked Kathleen Kennedy this very question and she was quite candid.

"She said they learned their lessons from Solo; that doing two films in less than a year wasn't something the fans were prepared to accept.

"And she's hands up… 'we made a mistake with that.'"

He added: "She's eased her foot off the gas massively on this because she doesn't want to see a repeat of Solo's box office."

Apparently, it's likely that the more niche Star Wars content will be cranked up for TV via the upcoming Disney+.

More at: https://www.express.co.uk/entertain...hleen-Kennedy-Solo-The-Last-Jedi-fan-backlash

Make a prequel thread if old

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Or people just did not want a fucking Solo movie...

Though I turned out to really like it.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Damn I felt like a lot of people were worried about SW fatigue. Solo had to fail to fix that issue

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A bit of a shame but it makes sense. We're already overloaded with multiple Marvel movies every year and the more big blockbuster movies that come out every year the fewer we can reasonably see.

I still think if the sequel trilogy movies had been released three years apart from each other instead of two, they could have fitted Solo in a lot more comfortably and people would've actually been okay with one or two Star Wars spin off movies between the mainline entries.

The just kinda rushed into it without thinking about it. We hadn't had a Star Wars movie in ten years, then all of a sudden we had four being released within four years of each other? That definitely needed to be spaced out a lot more, even if only by two more years.

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Poor Emilia Clarke. Seems like everything she stars in is either forgettable, or eventually erased from time. (outside of GoT of course)

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Or maybe just do what everyone's asking for: an Obi Wan movie with our lord and savior, Ewan.

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I dunno, I like Solo and Rogue one. The main movies on the other hand have been super average for me.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I think it was more along the lines of a lot people feeling burned by Last Jedi and then releasing a Han Solo movie without Harrison Ford. A lot of people were uninterested because of that alone. If it was an Obi-Wan movie in the place of Solo do you think the same thing would have happen? I doubt it.

I don't think anyone wanted a Han Solo movie without Harrison Ford in the first place, but I guess some folks have to learn the really hard way for that to be the case. The worst part is that there's actually a lot of good sequences in there that could have easily shown up in something far more standalone and original, and they could have easily fixed the film's biggest problem of rehashing the entirety of Han's character arc in ANH by not having Han at all. Heck, you could keep most of the actors and characters in there, including Alden Ehrenreich, and you would keep the chemistry without having the albatross of canon masturbation weighing it all down.

Oct 28, 2017
I genuinely liked Solo. I loved the feel of the universe without it being encumbered by the Jedi trope. I think the movie would have been much better if they just made it about some random smuggler as opposed to some sort of prequel. The soundtrack to the film is pretty fantastic too:

Deckerd

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The problem with the movie can be exemplified by the scene where the origin of "solo" is "explained". That was a question nobody was asking to be answered.

Edit: I agree that the movie would've been better if contextualized around a different character.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Why do you guys continually want prequel shit? How is that interesting?

That's literally the only prequel stuff I want. I don't want anything else. I enjoyed Solo and especially Rogue One, but I'd have much rather seen something with Ewan in it, because he is just great as Obi Wan.

Tsunamo

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly regardless of what people thought of Solo I do think it was a big mistake not to release the movie in December. Ever since The Force Awakens Star Wars movies had been a sort of December event and I think it would've done a little better then. (even if it wouldn't have done much better, but I do think it would've been a better release period for it)
The problem with the movie can be exemplified by the scene where the origin of "solo" is "explained". That was a question nobody was asking to be answered.

Edit: I agree that the movie would've been better if contextualized around a different character.
This is why I think The Mandalorian will be great. Rather than use Bobba again they've decided to tell a new story with a new character that has a similar style to him.
That's literally the only prequel stuff I want. I don't want anything else.
Yeah I think it's fair to say that a Obi-Wan spin-off is probably the one that was wanted by most people.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
I think The Last Jedi's polarization made people very reluctant to check out Solo, a movie that had a fairly lukewarm reception.

Which is a shame because I loved both. Like a lot.

Oct 25, 2017
China
I remember Solo like this. "What? It's out already? But I just saw TLJ. *sigh* well, I better go and see it then (out of obligation as a Star Wars fan).

It plodded along making sure it hit all the backstory beats that had ever been mentioned. Only bit I enjoyed was the Kessel Run sequence. Oh look, surprise Darth Maul. The end.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Solo was bad?

I thought most people liked it. It just didn't make its money back. I preferred it way more than TLJ, which I didn't hate.

I really loved Donald Glover in it as well. It was rather refreshing.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
The biggest issue for me (haven't seen it, don't want to see it) was that Ford was 33 in A New Hope. And we're supposed to suspend belief and have someone who looks completely different and sounds completely different play him a few years younger?

Han Solo worked because of Ford and his charisma/swagger. I don't need some cash-in with an actor who requires an acting coach on set.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I actually really appreciate them being willing to 1) admit it was poorly timed. But 2) being willing to try and experiment with different release rollouts. It's all human beings trying to make entertainment, sometimes you have to experiment a bit.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Solo was bad?

I thought most people liked it. It just didn't make its money back. I preferred it way more than TLJ, which I didn't hate.

I really loved Donald Glover in it as well. It was rather refreshing.

I loved it. I just don't see why they thought it was a good idea to release it almost immediately after Infinity War and a few weeks before Deadpool 2. I couldn't even see Solo at the cinema because of when it came out.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How long do you guys think this hiatus will be? I hope it's not something like 5 years =/

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it didn't have spacing enough to generate more hype. Also by doing clear spinoffs they signal to people these are side stories and not as important. Contrast with Marvel where everything is tied in or an origin and thus important. Spinoffs never really do as well in any medium.

That said personally I liked Solo and Rogue One more than TFA and TLJ.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They know what the real problem was but they aren't going to say that publicly.