• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
What was really stupid was starting advertising with the first trailer three months before release

Love the movie

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Solo was a stupid idea for a movie and it showed. In theory a Han Solo focused prequel could be fun, but they decided to take the boring "origin story" route.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
It's about time they talked sensibly. I wish Marvel would do the same.

I thought Solo would be awful, and only saw it because I was invited to a birthday party and my ticket was paid for. I enjoyed it more than I had expected, but wouldn't say it's a great movie or anything. It was entertaining though.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
Bad concept with a botched execution and poor marketing. Sticking with the xmas release schedule might have mitigated some of the damage but this film was always going to fail.

megashock5

Oct 27, 2017
Powell, Ohio
If they want to generate positive buzz for SW, they should release the unaltered OT during this hiatus. It would gain some press and goodwill with fans. I know, it's a pipe dream.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
These spinoffs sounded ass anyways. Hoping that obi wan movie is cancelled too. I've been hella into the sequel trilogy, faults and all but I cant muster up any excitement for shit like solo and rogue one. Not to mention how dull the latter movie ended up being (despite visually looking pretty cool)

Give star wars films a break for a few years and just commit to that old republic film series or whatever rian is making. Hoping they dont yearly alternate between the two tho.

Mocha

Dec 9, 2017
I'd rather watch an obi-wan film or a clone war film with the prequel actors at this point

I haven't since the solo movie but I didn't enjoy the 7th and 8th movie and the new trailer for the 9th looks very cringe to me.

Rogue one was great tho.

Jadusable

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they're being completely transparent with why Solo bombed but I get why they aren't.

Really wonder how Rose of Skywalker will do, I don't think it's reaching TLJ numbers

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
RO was fantastic, Han Solo wasn't really good, even though it was a fun watch, but it wasn't enough to justify a spinoff movie without much new really.

If the movie was about a character after episode VIII or about someone that would be important, then I believe the film would have performed better. Also being out so closely after TLJ didn't help much.

Rodan

Nov 3, 2017
I'll chalk up Solo's problem to one thing: it was clearly a cash-grab. It didn't appear to be a passion project for anyone involved, from the cast to the directors. If the people making the movie can't drum up enthusiasm, how can audiences? That said, I did like the final product somewhat (and I truly adore Rogue One).

An ideal Star Wars film should have, at a minimum, the appearance of being an epic undertaking made by people who love the story and it should be marketed as enthusiastically as possible. Solo had great potential but the directorial mishaps and the timing made it come off as a bulletpoint in an executive memo.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Solo was an enjoyable move that deserved better. I feel like the troubled development and how they handled marketing was a big issue.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
The mistake was making a mediocre movie no one asked for in the first place.

Yup. If Solo had been something anyone wanted to see, it would have done fine.

Wow I actually enjoyed Solo. The hate in this thread is surprising.

Solo isn't worth hating. It doesn't do anything particularly bad or good, it just lays there like a slug. It's the only time I've ever been bored watching a Star Wars movie, and that includes Attack of the Clones. Solo is just a completely pointless, disposable film with no bite or texture. It would have been a box office failure no matter how long it had been between films.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly solo was about as good as the middle of the pack marvel movies that did much better. I think it was more the choice of setting and the time gap. Star wars needs to feel like an event when it releases.

Venom.

Oct 26, 2017
London
The Last Jedi left a bad taste for many (not all) of its audience so they weren't likely to be positively inclined to see another Star Wars movie so shortly after, especially as it wasn't a mainline story.

Genuinely surprised at the hate for Solo. Thought it was the most fun and most "Star Wars" movie since A New Hope. Great stuff.

Also, for a movie "nobody wanted" somehow it made hundreds of millions of dollars. Disney bought up all those tickets?
The problem is it didn't even come close to making the kind of money it needed in order to be profitable. It's more than $100 million off the mark to break even, and that's at the lowest reported budget we have available. It was an expensive flop, no matter how you look at it.

May 18, 2018
I didn't go see it at the movies because i felt burned by TLJ, but after it released on video i thought it was definitely one of the better star wars films. i would place it higher than prequel trilogy and TLJ, but lower than rogue one, TFA and originals.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Solo enough as a film, honestly I found it rather enjoyable.

Except for one small thing: the lead was terribly miscast IMHO.

I don't think Alan Emmerich did a good job, and I don't think he was right for the role at all. He never "felt" like Han Solo to me.

I still think Anthony Ingruber should have gotten the role. It's far too late now, but I'd wager if the movie had him as the lead it would have done a fair bit better at the box office. Sure he would just be doing one long Harrison Ford impression, but that still would have been miles better than whatever Alan was doing!

26kpkgq3_400x400.jpg

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars movies should aim to be better than bottom tier Marvel movies, no matter how dumb the idea. Solo failed on that front.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
She admitted it was a mistake, which is good news. I'm okay with a Star Wars movie every year or two and not two times per year.

It's what has caused Marvel fatigue for some of us.

Yep, frequency cheapens the wonder.

She needs to stop fucking around and get on the next Jurassic project as a freelancer.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Still nuts to me as a kid that grew up in the 90s that marvel can support infinite amount of movies but star wars needs a break. Funny how places can switch.

Oct 29, 2017
I really enjoyed Solo. Better movie than Rogue One IMO. I think it's a shame that it performed poorly due to Star Wars fatigue rather than a flaw of the movie itself.

jontin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Solo would have gone from "okay" to "pretty good!" automatically for me if the image quality wasn't so dark and grungy.

No other movie looks like that on my setup, it was dark and kind of out of focus and just weird. Still enjoyed the movie outside of that complaint.

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Releasing Solo in May, is the least of this film's problems. But yes, that was one of them.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone I know wanted Kenobi if there was going to be an origin story movie. Would have been really cool to see more things from his perspective across the whole clone wars and post III timeframe.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Can't avoid the awful memes all over here and Reddit, the multiple Marvel threads a day, the trailers, the overhyped word of mouth.

I wish I had a filter on my brain that I could switch to avoid and block all Marvel talk.

But you brought up Marvel movies yourself, unprompted. I see memes for all kinds of stuff I'm not interested in, it doesn't make me annoyed that other people like things I don't.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Solo was Lucas' idea from before the Disney deal. He was talking to writer Kasdan about it. Disney went along with it because that was the only way Lawrence Kasdan would agree to work on The Force Awakens script with JJ. Kasdan wanted Solo to be co-written with his son, that was the deal.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I loved the last jedi and I didn't see solo in theaters. It looked like a bad movie, and when I saw it the best I could say was that it wasn't terrible. The film was decent but "han" was terrible and completely killed every scene he was in.

Releasing it 5 months after last jedi wouldn't have been an issue if the film didn't have the worst marketing in the world. Look at the buzz around episode 9 after the teaser when "tlj ruined star wars for everyone". Good marketing and a film that doesn't look terrible go a long way.